“Mostly excellent!”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 February 2009

I visited the Lindo for a week in December and stayed during Christmas day. The aim of the stay was to have a relaxing time as a family (myself, 20, my brother, 13 and my Mum). I didn't have any input into the booking process as my Mum handled this. I'd never been to Mexico or anywhere outside the UK, Northern America and Europe so I was interested to see what the standard of the hotel was (I've found American and British hotels tend to be better than anywhere else).

Nothing to do with the hotel but we had a very long journey to Mexico with problems at the airport in London so when we arrived we wanted everything to go perfectly. My only problem with our whole stay occurred when we got there which was a bit unfortunate! We had booked a standard family room with what we were told had two double beds - fine. When we arrived reception said that they only had double rooms and a sofa which wasn't supposed to be used as a bed. So we asked if we could have a suite (we had no problem paying extra) and they didn't have any. Myself and my Mum were furious they expected one of us to basically just sleep on a sofa so a lot of arguing went on until the receptionist explained this would be for one night and then a bed would be put in the room in the morning. So we just had to make do - it turned out the sofa was actually quite big and comfy but it was the principle. So once that was dealt with we realised how rude the porters were - basically they were just lazy and instead of waiting around for them to take our bags (we waited half an hour) we found our room ourselves. The bed was put in our room without any fuss the next day.

Other than that I can't really fault the hotel at all. The rooms are spacious, well kept and clean. Each block of rooms has it's own conceige which is helpful. The maids do a great job every evening.

The hotel as a whole is stunning and very well maintained. The beach is literally a stone's throw away and beautiful. The pool area is big although we had some problems sometimes finding beds in the sun. It's lovely having a couple of bars round the pool and the waitress service is a bonus.

On the topic of drinks, for an all inclusive resort, there's a massive choice which is great but I'm fairly sure some of the drinks are watered down. Only the spirits I think though.

The entertainment for children (and adults) is very good and the staff are lovely. My little brother always had something to do. My Mum and I thought the evening entertainment was good and although it wasn't West End standard, it was good for a hotel.
As I said, I'm 20 and I found the nightclub on the resort very good at night time. There is a nightclub for children under 18 next door which I thought was a great idea.

I've read some people complaining about the food. The breakfast buffet was excellent - the choice was outstanding and the quality high. I think the buffet lunch on offer could have been a little better in terms of quality but again the choice was wide. We ate in the specialist restaurants each night and although the choice could be a little limited I really don't understand why people are complaining about the standard? It wasn't outstanding but we had no problems and would say it was always very good, especially the steak house.

One thing I really want to point out - everyone seems to have said the pools were too cold? You're on holiday in a hot climate, do you want bath water in the pool? No, you want it to be cool and that's what I found, the pools were cool, not cold or freezing. I can't comment on he hot tubs, I didn't go in.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank Rebecca_Elizabeth
Write a ReviewReviews (6,339)

Reviewed 7 February 2009

My wife and I just got back from the resort yesterday with our two young sons (ages 3 and 1) and a nanny. Overall our trip was very nice and the reviews are relatively accurate, both the good and the bad to some degree.
We had booked a joining room because of our kids and nanny but when we got there we got the standard "we do not guarantee it" and they don't obviously... we were moved two days later into one...lesson learned. The rooms were decent, nothing really to bad or good to say about them. We did hear from some people there that they had a stack of singles (used for tips) stolen from the room, use the safe.

The grounds are very well kept as it seems most people agree. The pools are frigid as most people seem to agree as well, (inclusive of the hot tubs located on a small island within the pools). It was fun watching people take the icy plunge and swim to the hot tub island only to find no relief from the cold wtaer. The drinks were ok. If you do stay here and want quiet until 11:00 pm or so, do not stay in building #55. The open air theatre backs right up to this and the music and exuberant MC was quite loud.
Our biggest problem with the trip was the food...it was terrible. We have been to all inclusives before and i think my wife and i have a pretty good idea of what to expect. We were not looking to be served a 5 star michelin meal by any means....but we didnt want to be served food redistributed from meal to meal (ie. mussels at the buffet for dinner were served at breakfast on the half shell?, same with cold cuts, shrimp). Our soup at the French restuarant was served cold (no wasn't gespacho) and smelled kind of burnt. The steak house meats were very disappointing (again not expecting too much but being called a steak house and all...). Desserts were so frozen and prepped they stuck to the plates they were served on. The Japanese hibachi was fun and the food was hot :) all in all, do not go for the food, you will be disappointed, the menus we very limited, quality was poor, and food was not prepared well. Keep in mind room service menu was also bits and pieces from the restaurants' menus and of the same poor quality.

We had great weather, had a good time but were not crazy spending what we did for the quality we received. We will try elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We were at the Lindo from january 15th untill 24th. The resort consists of 5 hotels of which the grand is upperclass (we have walked through it and it is absolutely classy). The lindo and maya share a big pool and visitors there may also enjoy all the restaurants and pools of the Beach and Mar hotels (but not the other way round!). It was low season and we eat at 8 different restaurants (French (gourmet), international, steakhouse, cajun, Brazilian, Japanese, Mexican and Italian). All restaurants have, just like the hotels, a differnt style. The gourmet is the most stylish but actually had not the best food. The Japanese is a spectacle because you sit around the cooking plate (with other people). Brazilian also has a speciality, go watch! The food at breakfast and lunch was buffet style and I have no complaints expect that they put some much milk in your coffee although we tried to explain that we do not like that.
The pool was a bit chilly but for us as Dutchmen not as freezing as it is for the Americans. The sea temperature was lovely by the way and we enjoyed the great waves We booked two excursions in the hotel. Snorkeling near the hotel which was great. And combination of maya city Tulum en Xel-Ha. Because you have to pick up other guests in other hotels it takes over 4 1/2 hours in total on the bus while actual drive time is 2 1/2 hours! Xel-Ha was nice but expensive for the money, better go snorkeling near cozumel..

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank rolfv
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Just returned from 10 days at the Paraiso Lindo. Most of what you have read in the reviews here are very accurate.
The grounds are very well kept and beautiful. The staff (2000 strong) work very hard at keeping the place functioning.

We flew SKYSERVICE out of Toronto on Jan. 8th, 2009. Very uneventful flight. Check-in at the hotel was a breeze; although, it should have been given that the hotel was reported to have been at 40% occupancy.

The room was spacious (we were travelling with our two boys; ages 7 and 12). There was a flower arrangement and a fruit basket upon arrival to our room. The bar fridge was stocked daily with pop, beer and bottled water. The water and ice in the restaurants is filtered but not so out of the taps in the bathroom OR shower.

The food is good and plentiful. No one will starve!!!!! The ala carte restaurants are good....there is always a buffet for "appetizers" in these restaurants and it's very hard not to find something you like. In terms of the ala carte restaurants: DO NOT order beef tenderloin at the Steakhouse......it was like trying to cut a shoe......not like any tenderloin I've ever bought/cooked. They do seafood really well here......lobster at the Mexican and Italian restaurants was very good as was the fish (Snapper and Grouper). In terms of spicing....I found the spicing to be at the minimum......probably because they are trying to appeal to people with broad tastes. There is always Salsa Piquante and Tabasco sauce available if you want a flavour boost.

Pools and beach were great but, as noted in other reviews, the pools are NOT heated. There appear to be two "hot tubs" in the main pool but, while they look like a hot tub and swirl around like a hot tub.....they are NOT hot!!!!!

Some other observations:

Many people did not give tips to the staff. As others have said, people at the resort make approx. 6000 pesos a month (the STAR FRIENDS, for example, work 10-12 hour days, six days a week).....they NEED and RELY on tips to provide for their own families. I would recommend that you tip the people that bring you coffee, clear your plates in the restaurants/buffets, your maid and your consierge.

For g-d's sake, we know we're all on vacation but TAKE YOUR HATS OFF INSIDE THE RESTAURANTS and TRY HARD NOT TO WASTE FOOD....remember, your eyes are generally bigger than your stomach. It was disheartening to see the waiters clearing off people's plates with so much food left on the plates. The Mexican staff must be thinking, "these fat, greedy touristas don't know how lucky they are".

Ok, last thing.......people, please have some self-awareness or, at least, some sensitivity to other people. If you weigh 300 lbs. + you DO NOT LOOK GOOD IN A SPEEDO!!!! And, stay away from the lazy river inner tubes......PUHLEEZ.

As others have also suggested, take the COLLECTIVOS....they are the equivalent to a city bus.....from the resort, cross the street and take one to Playa Del Carmen. While in Playa I'd recommend a restaurant called Yaxche. Its very very good. Also, try and avoid paying with a credit card. A common scam is for the restaurant to bill your credit card in US dollars instead of Pesos..........a big shock when you get your statement.

Lastly, if you hate big US style resort areas, aka Miami Beach...stay away from Cancun. It literally looks and feels like M.B.....hotel...restaurant.....hotel....restaurant. Lots of US franchised restaurants........lousy food. Do not fear roadside taco stands.......my only suggestion is about eating the skin from fruit....do not.....peel the fruit first.

If you want any addt'l information, email me at levinejosh@hotmail.com.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
19  Thank haliebut
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Overall the Paraiso Lindo was wonderful.

It depends on what you want out of your vacation. We went with friends with the idea that we were going to party everyday and we did. We went on excursions everyday and did just about everything the place had to offer. One day we went golfing on the resort and it was terrific. The course was in terrific shape and the rentals were great. One day we went to Chichen Itza and this was a all day trip. It was a 3 hour bus ride there and 4 hour back so if you were not the mood to go I wouldnt. But the resort had tons of stuff to do. I would make friend with you concegrie and he will take care of everything to need. Hope you have a good time. Let me know if you have any questions. Their was tons of stuff to do on the resort. The one negitive aspect was their was only one type of beer and it was draft only!!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank goonie48
Reviewed 17 January 2009

I have had a dream of being in Mexico for Christmas for a long time. Well it came true and it was everything I dreamed of. What a great time we had. Santa jumped out of an airplane over the resort! How cool is that! I am not much for holidays, but that day, I did believe in Santa. Silly I know, but what fun it was. I have read some of these reviews and am surprised at some of the people saying they were robbed. Some people had seperate rooms for their kids. Well I got bad news for everyone, kids loose stuff. Kids also let people they don't know hang around with them. Some people steal! DUH! You don't leave anything out that you don't want taken,touched,looked at. Put you stuff up. Sorry about that. We had such a great time there. It was about 85 everyday, no rain. Pool was cool when you first get in, but you get used to it.
We will be going back in June 2009, I will be at the pool bar. As for the drinks being watered down, who cares, they are free! Do a few shots if you need to get hammered. The people were very nice, the room was clean, food was great.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MauryW
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I am a very experienced business and pleasure traveller and have travelled extensively around the world staying at many different 4 and 5 star hotels for work, and 4 and 5 star resorts on vacation

The Iberostar Lindo was my favourite vacation in over 20 years of travel. I have been to Mexico (3 times), Punta Cana (4 times), Cuba (2 times), Jamaica (1 time), and Aruba (1 time), plus numerous cruises and none of them compared to our stay at this Iberostar as a complete package.

We stayed there over the Christmas break and were very impressed with the architecture of the resort. It is a beautiful place, the pool is the largest one I have ever seen and is amazing. The food is very good and the a la carte restaurants are well worth the time. We travelled with seven other people (two families) and we had the best experience ever. There was never a dull moment each and every day was a new adventure as there is plenty to do and plenty to drink served by courteous staff.

I have never stayed at an AI hotel where I was at the resort for my complete vacation. We never left the resort not even once as everything we wanted was all right there for us. A few people in our group did go into Play Del Carmen one day and said they enjoyed the shopping, restaurants and a nightclub they visited. A couple of others from our group went to Xcaret one day and loved it.

My wife, our teenagers (18 & 19) and I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who enjoys elegance, relaxation, romance, or partying, because the Lindo has it all!

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!