“Absolutely AMAZING !!!!!!”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 February 2009

how anyone can fault this hotel is beyond me for as a 16 year old i have found it the best hotel i have stayed in compared to places like egypt or turkey. The complex is very clean and you aare always seeing the staff cleaning the pools, fountains etc.
FOOD- this is something that made the experience so much better for threme for their were a variety of different resturants available from italian to japanese it was perfect for people who dont particually want to be eating tacos all holiday. The main buffet area is the best for breakfast time for the other didnt have much variety however, lunch was not that good especially for younger children for most of it consisted of salad.
FACILITIES- whatever your interests or hobbies, the lindo has the facilities available to you. the competitions made exercise more fun and even younger children were able to get involved in the competitions and then be given a certifcate before the main entertainment at nighttime. the beach was amazing however, loads of seagulls. Th wavepool was great and so was the lazy river for there were plenty of rubber rings for the lazy river than there was a lifeguard present everytime the whistle went for the wavemachine. The swin up bar was a hit for everyone especially which how many drinks were available.
ROOMS- very spacious, large wardrobe, free minbar, tv, free room service it was just perfect. me and my dad only stayed for 7 days which was ashame for we wanted to stay longer
TRIPS- definatly go on captain hook if yu have younger aged children and then see the chitcen itza temple aswell. long trip however it is worth the 3 hour journey.always book with the rep otherwise you ARE NOT INSUREDD

OVerall this hotel is an absolute fantastic place to stay for couples or familes for there are plenty of facilities available and trips.

Definatly have the full body massage on the beach front.

7  Thank Lozzzzard-ox
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Paraiso Lindo

Reviewed 18 February 2009

We have just returned from our vacation at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo ... We left Toronto on Feb 7 and returned a week later on Feb 14, 2009.

Overall: This was the vacation from hell for us and it can be for you too, so please take the time and read this review and consider carefully booking this hotel, especially if you travel with kids!

Food:

The food there is a health hazard. Our 18 months old daughter got really sick and kept vomiting for 6 days in a row while being there. We’ve been running around, in and out of various clinics/hospitals five days out of seven; our daughter ended up spending 2 days in the ER, hooked-up to an I.V. due to dehydration. We met other families with sick kids (having the same problem) and ran into a lady on the beach who said her husband and one other man in their group had both been flat in bed with stomach flu for several days.

We saw flies on the food at one of the buffets close to the beach. Although a lot of people were getting sick, there was absolutely no warning posted anywhere in the hotel or on their web site.

Because our daughter was sick most of the time, we were not able to go to any of the a-la-carte restaurants.

Water:

The “bottled water” provided by the resort is terrible, it doesn’t even taste like water and we were clearly advised by one of the doctors that examined our daughter NOT to use it because it was not safe.

Resort:

The resort looks nice, but it is waaay below what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. I'd give it a 3.5 at best! There are some green patches where you can see some wild life and this is something we truly enjoyed.
The rooms are small. If you go there with kids, you need an extra bed or/and a crib and this leaves you no space at all. The rooms are not very clean and you can always smell mould. The crib we got for our daughter was dirty, wobbly and unsafe. We felt this might have been a way our daughter could have picked up a bug, if the crib was used by a sick child before.

There is also a lot of noise from the shuttle trains and golf carts they use to maintain/operate the resort, even late during the night and we found that terribly annoying.

Beach:

We were at the beach only on our first day. The beach was beautiful, however if you go there around lunch time, finding available seats might be a real challenge. There are big and sharp rocks in the water; you cannot walk even with sandshoes, you can only swim, but the waves can throw you in to the sharp rocks at any time.

Pool:

There are many pools and they all look nice. There is concrete all over the place which makes it dangerous for small kids.

Services:

The resort personnel were nice and they tried to be helpful. Still, they posted no warning anywhere. We waited a little bit too long for check-in; the check-out was fast. Every time you ask for a bellboy or for something else, they were running late. There were other small things (in-room safe, remote control) that needed to be replaced, but they solved all these issues for us eventually; still, you wouldn’t expect those things to be happening at a good hotel and to waste your time waiting for somebody to come fix your TV when you're on vacation.

Entertainment:

We cannot really comment on entertainment - because our daughter was sick most of the time, we were not able to see any of their shows/entertainment.

We chose this hotel based mostly on the reviews from this web site. Too bad there was no warning about the health risks. This resort was the worst possible choice for us!

Conclusion:

If you have kids, don’t take any risk and find a better and safer place. Even if you don’t go there with kids, don’t waste your vacation, time and money. Be wise and choose a decent resort to enjoy your time off.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank CosminToronto
Reviewed 18 February 2009

We were very pleased with the service at this hotel. We were able to eat at a different a la carte restaurant each evening. The bar staff was good as well. We didnt have to wait a long time to get our drinks, it might be because we tipped. We did not see a lot of people leaving anything.
Our room was very clean and included a special towel animal each day. When we first got there, our tv worked but it needed to be programmed. They had it done very quickly. We don't watch a lot of tv but liked to have it for siesta time. We also had problems with our fridge and again they replaced it quickly. They also called to follow up frequently to make sure we were satisfied.
The drive from the airport was a pleasant distance. I suggest buying a cerveza at the airport for the drive. It was also nice to have the other resorts close by to explore. It offered a huge variety of restaurants to chose from. There is a shuttle that would run from the bottom of the resorts to the top to save a bit of walking in evening shoes.

The only downfall of this resort was the amount of kids. There were a lot of kids everywhere. It has a great pool so I think most kids chose to be there rather than at the kids club. It was hard to find a no cry/whine zone at the pool, beach and some of the restaurants.
The nightlife was pretty good. After dinner, we would go the show and then to the disco. It was also convenient to have the shopping mall on site for souvenirs. This is the first time we went on a trip and did not leave the resort because we were just looking to recharge our batteries.
All of the meals were good and it was great to have a better choice of winesrather that just red or white. We went to the French restaurant for Valentines Day and it was romantic. It was a kid free zone.

We loved that there is a concierge in each building to help you with anything that you needed. You could book all of your dinner reservations at once and talk face to face with someone. If you had an requirements or questions, there would answers or solutions ready for you by the time you were back to your room.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank hriley29
Reviewed 12 February 2009

The Paraiso Lindo is a beautiful property. Rooms are spacious and comfortable king beds. Food in the ala carte is very good as are the buffets, although the buffets are the same after a few days. Good entertainment at night. The beach is wonderful.
The downsides:
No ocean view, you overlook either the pool or gardens.
The minibar is just soda, water, and beer. I usually expect alcohol for mixed drinks.
If you sleep with the patio door open for breezes, be prepared for noise of drink carts being rolled down the sidewalks between 1-3 am.
The buildings also echo so you can hear late night drinkers laughing until around 3 am.
This is a great place for families as there as lots of activities and things for kids.
I would recommend someplace quieter if you are looking to relax and unwind.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank upsnam
Reviewed 11 February 2009

Our family of 4 took a 5-day trip to the Lindo for New Year's. This was our first trip to Mexico, and having read some of the negative reviews, we were a bit nervous.

1. Arrival/Room: We were greeted at reception with welcome drinks and told that a room with double beds was not available. They upgraded us to a King Jr. Suite with a rollaway bed at no charge and offered to change us to double room the next day. We stuck with the suite. Overall the room was very nice. We were in Building 51, near the ping pong table/pool, etc. so the location was ideal. We had a nice patio. The bathroom was spacious and the closet/drawer space was adequate. My kids only complaint the whole week was that the Disney Channel was in Spanish (well, what did they expect in Mexico?).

2. Pools/Beach: Overall, they are awesome. I agree with other reviewers...the water in most of the pools was chilly. However, the temps were in the 80s during the day so it wasn't so bad. And my kids were oblivious to the water temperature. One tip: the sports pool, for some reason, was much warmer than the others. The "hot" tubs were freezing, and a bit disappointing, after you swam over to them expecting a hot tub. The wave pool was SO much fun. We also enjoyed the lazy river. The beach was very nice, but there was a red flag everyday and there was limited availability for the included non-motorized water sports. But the waves were so much fun to play in, and there were beautiful sand sculptures all over.

3. Food/Drinks/Service. We thought the food was pretty good for an all-inclusive--much better than what we found in Atlantis several years ago. There were some really outstanding items (the lobster at the New Year's Eve buffet was amazing) and some mediocre stuff. We very much enjoyed breakfast each morning at the restaurant nearest the beach. The view of the pool, etc. there was so relaxing. The lunch buffet on the beach was awesome--we rarely wanted to dry off and get dressed to go sit in a restaurant for lunch. It wasn't exactly health food, but who can complain about burgers, dogs, nachos, and beer on the beach?? The kiosk at the neighboring Paraiso Beach/Del Mar resorts had amazing grilled chicken every day. We did not drink a lot of alcohol during our stay (diagnosed with an ulcer the week before) but what we did try was very good. The service at the Lindo buffet restaurants and at the hotel overall was outstanding. The full-service restaurants varied. The Steakhouse at the Maya had great food but service was very slow the night we were there. The cajun was good overall, and the Italian was just okay. But overall, the staff really seemed to care that we had everything we needed/wanted.

4. Entertainment: For the kids, the StarFriends were outstanding. My girls loved the kiddie show each night. My 6-year-old loved playing games on stage and loved doing the resort dance. There were these 4 singers they put on stage between the kid's show and the main show. We always felt bad for them because people would get up and leave. On New Year's Eve, we wanted to keep our seats so we stayed and listened. They weren't bad, but they need to start with the more upbeat/fun songs to keep the crowd on board. The main shows we saw were very well done. On the beach and at the pools, there were a lot of activities available. We enjoyed the bingo, water aerobics, and beach volleyball. There are also massages, hairbraiding, and ceramics available for an extra charge. The ceramics stand was a great way to get the kids out of the sun for a bit.

5. Other notes.
We were there during a crowded time, but we rarely had to wait long for anything.

The New Year's Eve celebration was a lot of fun. My kids enjoyed the 1 pm balloon release, which took place at all the Iberostar resorts in the area--very beautiful. The New Year's Eve show and party was great as well. Champagne and goody bags with hats/masks/noisemakers/confetti were handed out. The dancers came off the stage and involved the crowd. We had a great time.

We brought a laptop to keep in touch, but there are computers with internet available for guest use for a reasonable fee. You have to go to the front desk to get a code, but then it was relatively easy to sign on.

We learned early on to trade our towel cards for towels at night---you will need to leave your towels/books on your desired seats early in the morning--otherwise, there's not much left (especially with 4 seats together).

There is a sun deck tucked away just above the ice cream shop. Hardly anyone knew about it. It was awesome.

In summary, you would have to try pretty hard NOT to enjoy yourself at this resort. It was the most relaxing vacation we've had since our kids were born. We just booked the same week for next year and now we're counting the days until we leave!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank AZinPA
Reviewed 8 February 2009

I'm not going to bore you with all of our details except to say that this resort was Excellent.
We have travelled to Mexico and the Bahamas before but this was our first time with kids.(9 and 7)
All the good reviews you read on here are absolutely correct.
All the bad reviews make me wonder if they are talking about the same place we just got back from Yesterday!!
We all loved the variety of foods and drinks.
The pools are refreshing...Not even close to frigid.....anyone who thinks this must have "you know what" for blood.
The ocean was Red Flag every day we were there and we still swam in the ocean every day.Tackling the waves was awesome.
The entire resort from top to bottom is spotless....you could eat off the floor in the rooms..
As far as the size of the resort and the walking goes...it is really no problem..By the reviews we read we were expecting alot more walking then what there actually was.
In the end we can say we've found Our Resort.
We will look no further.

9  Thank 4Macs
Reviewed 8 February 2009

I visited the Lindo for a week in December and stayed during Christmas day. The aim of the stay was to have a relaxing time as a family (myself, 20, my brother, 13 and my Mum). I didn't have any input into the booking process as my Mum handled this. I'd never been to Mexico or anywhere outside the UK, Northern America and Europe so I was interested to see what the standard of the hotel was (I've found American and British hotels tend to be better than anywhere else).

Nothing to do with the hotel but we had a very long journey to Mexico with problems at the airport in London so when we arrived we wanted everything to go perfectly. My only problem with our whole stay occurred when we got there which was a bit unfortunate! We had booked a standard family room with what we were told had two double beds - fine. When we arrived reception said that they only had double rooms and a sofa which wasn't supposed to be used as a bed. So we asked if we could have a suite (we had no problem paying extra) and they didn't have any. Myself and my Mum were furious they expected one of us to basically just sleep on a sofa so a lot of arguing went on until the receptionist explained this would be for one night and then a bed would be put in the room in the morning. So we just had to make do - it turned out the sofa was actually quite big and comfy but it was the principle. So once that was dealt with we realised how rude the porters were - basically they were just lazy and instead of waiting around for them to take our bags (we waited half an hour) we found our room ourselves. The bed was put in our room without any fuss the next day.

Other than that I can't really fault the hotel at all. The rooms are spacious, well kept and clean. Each block of rooms has it's own conceige which is helpful. The maids do a great job every evening.

The hotel as a whole is stunning and very well maintained. The beach is literally a stone's throw away and beautiful. The pool area is big although we had some problems sometimes finding beds in the sun. It's lovely having a couple of bars round the pool and the waitress service is a bonus.

On the topic of drinks, for an all inclusive resort, there's a massive choice which is great but I'm fairly sure some of the drinks are watered down. Only the spirits I think though.

The entertainment for children (and adults) is very good and the staff are lovely. My little brother always had something to do. My Mum and I thought the evening entertainment was good and although it wasn't West End standard, it was good for a hotel.
As I said, I'm 20 and I found the nightclub on the resort very good at night time. There is a nightclub for children under 18 next door which I thought was a great idea.

I've read some people complaining about the food. The breakfast buffet was excellent - the choice was outstanding and the quality high. I think the buffet lunch on offer could have been a little better in terms of quality but again the choice was wide. We ate in the specialist restaurants each night and although the choice could be a little limited I really don't understand why people are complaining about the standard? It wasn't outstanding but we had no problems and would say it was always very good, especially the steak house.

One thing I really want to point out - everyone seems to have said the pools were too cold? You're on holiday in a hot climate, do you want bath water in the pool? No, you want it to be cool and that's what I found, the pools were cool, not cold or freezing. I can't comment on he hot tubs, I didn't go in.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Rebecca_Elizabeth
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#73 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!