“Overall, a great time, but...”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We stayed at the Iberostar Lindo for 3 nights with our 3 year old. This is a great place to stay with kids! The pool complex was amazing (the lazy river, the wave pool and all the rest of the pools!). We really liked the beach too--very nice. The waves were huge due to high winds, but still a fun place to make sand castles. I really liked the bit of 'natural' area between the pools and beach--the coatimundis would hang out there in the afternoon--they were fun to see! I did a day of diving with Dressel Divers and admit, I liked them more than I thought I would. Our group was good on air and so the dive master let us stay down an hour instead of the 45 minutes she had originally said we would stay down. Their dive boat was really nice. The website said they would do a deeper single tank dive the first dive and in actuality, it was a 45 foot dive, which as a little disappointing.

The service everywhere was generally great--the waitstaff at the ala cartes were particularly good, the bartenders were amiable although some were better at making drinks than others, however, it took over 24hrs to get a working refrigerator. I had to call 4 times. Warm beer just sucks. The rooms were big we thought and we had a little porch to hang out on after our son went to bed. Housekeeping did a nice job.

We ate at the Mexican, Cajun and Seafood ala cartes and I have to say this is why the resort got 4 stars in my book. The food ranged from awful to just OK. The buffets were quite good for breakfast and lunch (particularly the breakfast buffet at the Pagoda restaurant). The dinner we had at the Cajun restaurant was awful--my dinner was described as a jambalaya and it was by far the worst I have ever had. The buffet appetizers before the dinners were MUCH better than the dinners themselves. I thought the food was supposed to be good at the ala cartes, so I was disappointed. The seafood ala carte was the best dinner we had and that was was fine, nothing amazing. Next time, I will just stick to the buffets!

Overall though, we had a lovely time and would definitely go back. The pools and service make it worth it.

4  Thank Oceancat

Reviewed 6 April 2009

My wife and I have been to several resorts in Mexico and the IPL was our favorite so far! The staff are professional and the service was excellent, and friendly. You are made to feel welcome and at ease. We were given a 3rd floor room in the 54 building as requested. Beautiful room, great bathroom, nice porch. Perfect!
We loved the grounds and the architecture. The layout is easy to learn and use. Pools are wonderful and the beach is a pleasure. Never bothered to reserve chairs at the beach and always found some whenever. The sun deck over the ice cream bar is a real treat... check it out.
We enjoyed being able to visit the other Iberostars by walking over and even booked a tour of the Grand. Do this through the concierge. Each bldg has it's own. We decided we liked the Lindo best and feel it represents excellent value. The shopping mall is a nice walk and has the usual shops but note that you can get snacks there too... all included.
We ate at the buffets for breakfast and lunch and found these to be very good. Lots of choices and fresh food. We booked a la cartes for supper. Particularly enjoyed the seafood and the gourmet. It was always a challenge not to overeat.
Bar service was good, even at peak times. The lobby bars are nice in the evening. Beach bartenders do a great job. Drinks aren't too strong or too weak but they'll make them however you like.
Hotel is a short bus ride from the airport and to Playa del Carmen. All the major sites not to far. Having been already, we didn't bother.
Every age group was represented and all seemed happy. Mostly American tourists I believe but many others too.
Didn't care for the shows ... wish they featured live Mexican music more.
The most outstanding thing for us was the staff... great attitude and friendly, professional.
Go! You'll enjoy yourself!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JBLB
Reviewed 5 April 2009

Our trip started off kind of rocky, with our flight being canceled, so we got to the Lindo a day late. We made up for the delay and had a great time with our friends & family. There were 18 people total with kids and we were able to find spots for chairs and entertaining. The staff was great and willing to make everything fun, easy and smooth sailing.
I do recommend 2 rooms if you have children that are up later in the evening. We only had 1 room and unfortunately no private time for my husband & I. The Lindo does have adjoining rooms, so don't let you travel agent tell you otherwise!
The food was good, the buffets very kid friendly with a good variety for all. The drinks were plentiful and they had new creations often.
The only sad thing that my daughter & I experienced was one evening on our way back to our room, we saw the staff catching the many cats & kittens on the grounds. I saw several men standing behind the rock wall with poles on their hands & buckets, and when I asked what they had planned for the cats they only shook their heads. I am afraid that the cats they caught were put down by drowning. I had to explain to my daughter that they did not have a "Humane Society" like we have in the States. It was hard to leave the cats when we left, we fed them often, there was one that I got attached to. A Siamese female ready to have kittens. Fabulous blue eyes. If there was a way to bring here, I would adopt her right away.

PS- Don't try to pet the "Coaties", they bite!!!

4  Thank Texgermsota
Reviewed 4 April 2009

This trip was our second stay at the Lindo and our 6th to the area. We did not plan any tours or excursions having done some previously. We arrived on my 50th birthday and our flight down was on time. We were the first to be dropped off on our non-stop transfer. Check in was smooth and we were given Bldg #53 as we had requested. Off to a great start! Quick change in our room and then we went down to make our ala carte dinner reservations. While sitting at the concierge desk, who walks around the corner but my mother who flew in from NJ as a suprise! We live in Illinois and now I know why she couldn't come to the suprise party my husband had for me the Sat night before we left! My mother is not a beach/ocean person so she was the last person I would have expected to see! It really was a memorable trip. We ate in the Cajun twice- both times excellent, excellent service and the food (rib eye) was good. Also we ate at the Japanese( Beach), again an excellent meal and good entertainment by the chefs. The best Bahama Mama's I had the whole week were made. One night we had dinner at the El Fogon which is the international. Again, a good meal. The rib eye was excellent. Those 3 restos we enjoyed the best. We also ate at the Italian- it was just so-so like the last time we were there. Tried the Brazilian for the first time and really couldn't stomach it. Food was over cooked or not cooked enough. Also some of the steak was so salty. One night the buffet for dinner suited our needs. So all in all we were very happy that we got into the ala cartes we wanted. I do have to say that the towel game was in full force and was really ridiculous. Towels were being put on chairs as early as 5am. We really did not have any problems with spring breakers that I saw. One day it got a little rowdy when some high schoolers showed up but they almost disappeared the next day. I did read before leaving that the Barcelo was having alot of problems with breakers. The Beach party on the beach one afternoon with the mechanical bull and paella was also fun. It was very windy almost the whole stay but the weather was wonderful. 1 afternoon there was a light spritz of rain for about 5 minutes and 1 morning for about 5-10 minutes. Evenings were very comfortable and it just felt great to walk around. Went to a few of the shows at night but when you have seen some of them before it gets a little cheesy. One day it was calm enougn for my husband and son to take out the jet skiis. They enjoyed that alot. Another day we took the shuttle from the hotel into Playa for some shopping. We saw nothing there to indicate that anyone would be in any danger. All in all, a great trip. Just what we needed- lots of sun and relaxing.

3  Thank RMP
Reviewed 31 March 2009

In the past I have stayed at the Iberostar Beach, Del Mar, and the adult's only Grand within the huge Iberostar complex at Playa de Secreto so I knew what to expect at the Lindo. We flew in early and rented a car and drove ourselves to the property arrving by noon. We were able to check right in although we were not able to get rooms in the same building with the other couple we were traveling with. The gentlemen at the front desk tried but it just could not be done. Not a big deal. This started 4 nights and 5 days of fun and indulgence. We all thought the service was excellent at all the bars and restaurants we visited. The variety of food items at the main buffet was excellent and we found that the cold items were cold and the hot items hot. This is an important feature for proper meal service to prevent food bourne illness. The four of us all have different tastes and everyone could always find more than enough to please our appetites. We arranged a la carte dining at the Cajun restaurant, the Steak House, and the Japanese with our concierge. We had excellent meals at each of them with very prompt service. We never felt rushed. If I could make one recommendation to anyone wanting the Japanese restaurant is to make the reservation ASAP. Even though they have moved that restaurant and enlarged it it is still not large enough to service the number of people that want to eat there. Management should consider adding a second Japanese location somewhere on site to ease the pressure. We had to take an 830pm seating and it is not the best thing when dealing with a diabetic that has to eat on schedule. We did not get up from the tepanyaki table until after 1030pm and that is just too late.

I will say that I found a huge quality difference between drinks served around the pool and at the beach to the ones in the lobby and theatre areas. If they are able to make a great cocktail in one spot, then why not 200 yards away? Our friends really enjoyed the wines served at the restaurants. Most of them were imported from Spain and seemed to be a good quality.

Being early risers we only made it to the theatre one night for one of the shows. It was not the best I have ever seen but pretty decent done with a lot of energy. I did not see a lot of people walking out which is always a good sign.

The ocean was calm and tranquil on day one and then a lot rougher the remaining days of our stay due to the windy conditions. There were lots of people enjoying the surf although none of the non motorized watersports were available because it was too dangerous. There was not huge evidence of erosion on the beach as in other areas of the Mayan Riviera. The beach narrows up on the northern end of the Iberostar complex near construction of a new building very near the water but going south you could take nice long walks well past the Iberostar Grand.

In regard to the room I think that there is some room for improvement, especially for a hotel that is rated a 4 1/2 or 5 (depending on the wholesaler). Our tub has a small crack and the bottom was soft and had a gooshy feel. The shower wand was at the curved end of the tub so it always seemed you couldn't stand quite close enough. Water pressure varied depending on the time of day you took a shower. I also thought that they need to upgrade their T.V.'s to better quality flat screens. I know you are not supposed to be watching loads of television when you are away but these features are what I expect at a higher end resort. Finally I think that the pillows need to be thrown out or restuffed!!! They were thin and poor quality. Time for an upgrade.

My friend and I decided to splurge and go to the spa, and I must say the treatments we received were first class. I chose one of their promotional packages for $150 U.S. that gave you several services to choose from. I had a 50 minute relaxation massage, a 30 to 40 minute reflexology treatment and a pedicure. I must commend the massage therapist, I believe her name was Dulce. She was very professional and it was one of the best massages I have ever had. I was surprised when we spoke and she had been only doing it for 3 years. It was like she had been doing it her whole life. The atmosphere in the spa area was also extremely condusive to relaxing.

My final comment will be about the Star Friends. These members of the animation / entertainment staff must be commended for their energy and friendlyness. Even though we did not join in the activities and games they always spoke to you when passing by and made you feel very welcome. They work long days and when we watched them interact with other guests I could tell that is another reason why people are repeat guests at all the Iberostar resorts.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank jetsetbet
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We just returned back from the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, and every member of my family is ready to get back on the plane and return. I was very anxious before we left about safety in Mexico, about getting sick from the food, and about whether the hotel would be a good experience. I have to say that none of the concerns had any substance. We felt totally safe on the resort, and coming and going from the airport. We did excursions with Edventures (highly recommended) on two days and did not feel that safety was an issue. The highways have some police checkpoints, and the government seems to be pulling out all its resources to make sure that there are no incidents.
About the food: I have an extremely sensitive stomach and packed every stomach remedy I could find. I was careful at first and when I didnt get sick, began to eat everything. I was totally fine. One member of our group had one bad night, but after taking a dose of immodium felt fine again.
We ate at the buffet near the lobby for breakfast and lunch because it looked better. It was very extensive and my picky sons always found something. The rest of us are more adventurous/gourmet eaters and were happy too. They have a lot of options and if you try the various dishes you will find many you will like. I cannot say enough about the staff that worked at that restaurant. They worked so hard and treated us very well. They knew our preferences within a few days, and would bring my husband his cappucino and mimosa in the morning without even asking. Not all the ala carte restaurants are good. We thought the international was terrible and the mexican a waste (there is plenty of better mexican on all the buffets). The steak, seafood and Japanese were good. Would I go to them if they were in my home town? never. But for the purposes of the trip they were just fine, and the service was so attentive and friendly that it made eveything even better. None of us lost any weight this trip from the food.
It took me a few days to really appreciate the hotel. I thought the rooms were average. Very clean but nothing special. We did like the location of our building 53 rooms though and had no problems with noise. The activities, although plentiful, were a little disappointing and created for the short attention span. "Air gun" was two shots at a target, water aerobics and any of the fitness classes were 15-20 minutes, dance classes the same. In a giant all inclusive there is a bit of herding that goes on. That said, the people who worked there could not have been friendlier or try harder. I would recommend this hotel to any family group for a fun vacation.

3  Thank Michelle2013
Reviewed 28 March 2009

We just returned from this wonderful family vacation last night. We travel once or twice a year with our kids (now 12-17yrs) so we have a lot of experience with many different resorts and this was one of the best. It was a little more expensive than others, but well worth the money if you want a flawless holiday. It's 45 min from the airport, and Playa Del Carman is 10 min. That's a great place to go for shopping and night life.

We originally chose the Lindo because we were hoping to find something extra for the kids to do - such as the Lazy River and the Wave Pool, but it was the combination of everything that made this place perfect - the food, rooms, beach, waves, pool, safety, cleanliness, staff, archery, darts, ping pong, pool tables etc- that made this a great trip

I'll be honest, they never tried the wave pool because it produced waves every 1/2 hr or so (well, that's what my younger ones told me) and they couldn't be bothered to wait. There are some lounge chairs near that location and many families with smaller children ended up there.

The lazy river was nice to try once, but after that it had lost it's novelty only because it's a simple round cirlce and perhaps too relaxing for teens. My husband and I used it once too and it was OK.

The 2 main pools are very large and nicely designed. They're the perfect temperature - I thought from other reviews that it would be cold, and it wasn't at all. Perhaps the time of year had something to do with it. The swim up bar is large and has a large water fall by it. The water fall produced a perfect "white noise". Just above the bar/water fall is an ice cream bar which the kids loved! There is a "hot tub" and as you may have heard it's not heated. The weather was so nice anyway we didn't need to sit in something hot.

If you want lounge chairs around the pool try to get up around 6am. I know that's insane, but if you don't you won't get a chair past 7:30am and you'll want some shade. I'd always go back to sleep after doing this. It is a vacation after all!!!

It's a large resort, but not too big that you get lost easily. Our room was close to the beach and pool - so it was the farthest away from the lobby and one big buffet. The walk was approx. 10 minutes. The walkways are very nice and they have the pool(s) on oneside and the rooms on the other. At night it is lit very well. It's very cozy and has a lot of ambience. Along these walkways are many many cats. They're tiny in size and keep the place rodent free. They're freindly enough to let you pet them and if you don't they really don't care to visit you unless you have food.

The rooms were sooooo clean, the beds were clean & the pillows (though no the most comfortable) didn't smell "old". The floors are washed regularly and I had no concerns walking without my shoes on. The A/C was very modern. We've been to some places where the A/C smelled like mildew,or the fan ran constantly, noisey etc. This system has a digital setting, you can adjust the fan, and if you set it on auto, it shuts itself on/off as needed. It was very comfortable.

The food was great. Breakfast is always our favourite. Lunch and dinner had variety for everyone - even the super picky eater and the exotic eater. No matter where we've stayed, we have always wondered why they don't serve a lot of vegetables. Dark green veggies were rarely served at dinner, but it was sometimes found at breakfast! Many resorts in Mexico, Domican and Cuba do this. We always stay away from lettuce or washed raw foods when we travel in order to prevent getting sick. With being at the Lindo, you can also visit the other 2 Iberostar hotels right next door. There's a "train" at the front reception that takes you around - or you can walk, it's not too far. We discovered that the buffets for dinner at the other 2 are larger then at the Lindo with more vaiety. We recommend giving it a try.

We didn't visit any a la carte restaurants. We prefer the buffets. Across the street is a shopping area and as part of the all inclusive is a place to get hamburgers and one to get crepes (kids liked that one).

The beach was so clean. It was windy, so be careful not to burn as you can't feel it. it is the Mayan, so some areas have coral, but you do not need water shoes because there are many large spaces to enter and swim worry free of it. The waves were fun and it's not too deep so you can stand very far out. The waves are a bit rough for younger children, but you're going to hold them anyway regardless of waves or not, and little ones usually like to get their feet/legs wet and putter in the sand anyway.
There are life guards. Sometimes they pay attention, and sometimes they don't.

My husband and I didn't go out at night since we have kids 14yrs and under. But , the older ones did go out with groups of friends they met. The legal drinking age is 18. Upon checking in you receive an adult or youth bracelet. Regarding the night life, it was pretty quiet around our resort. The bars @ the Lindo are "dead", and it was very quiet by 12:30am. Even the lobby gets dark - which was creepy because the main bar for night life is across the street . The night life seemed "tame" , but we didn't really try this out ourselves. Since the place gets quiet, and you don't even see too many tourists past 12am, there is security walking around.

There are jet skiis and ATV's for rent (sorry, I didn't handle the money negotiations so I'm not sure how much it was exactly --approx $65-$75 USD/person for 15min Jet ski and 2 hrs ATV tour). We went on the ATV tour. I do NOT recommend going double on one. I was a passenger and it's a rough ride, and as a passenger you have very little to hold on too! You go through the jungle and see a Mayan ruin. Go in the morning - it's cooler. Bring sun glasses -it's dusty. Rember, it is ATV'ing (not a liesure ride) and it's a bumpy, rocky, dusty tour. Kids & husband loved it. Me, not so much.

And Finally, this may sound dumb, but bring a lot of sun screen! We never never burn, but this time we ALL did!!!! The sun was strong and we were all surprised that by day 4 many of us were even peeling!!

4  Thank 5Teens
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!