“The best hotel for a great vacation”

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Montréal, Canada
“The best hotel for a great vacation”
Reviewed 14 January 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel 2 weeks ago. All my criterias for a perfect vacation have been met: great beach, great food, outstanding service, gorgeous hotel. Everything went smoothly, we needed three rooms side by side-got them, we didn't want to have to wake up at 6AM to reserve some chairs at the beach- no need for that. But most of all, it's the staff that makes the difference; this is the second Iberostar I've visited and I love it. Everyone is helpful and friendly. Don't hesitate to book, you'll love it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Mych

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2010

A good time was had by all, with no major complaints. We got a great deal on this property and are very satisfied with our vacation.

Travel: very quick trip from the Cancun airport to Mayan Riviera. Not much to see along the way, but it was a quick trip. Drinks were offered on the bus, but at a price so bring some cash with you.

Check-in: Very fast...literally took less than 5 minutes with no one in line in front of us (though, obviously, this is variable.) We saw the people next to us slip the desk clerk some bills - not sure how much or what for - but the clerk denied the money and promptly slid it back to them.

Rooms: fine. I don't spend a lot of time in rooms while on vacation so I don't really care as long as they are clean, which they were.

Grounds: well maintained and beautiful. Lots of walking, though, so not good for people with problems doing so. There is a shuttle but we couldn't figure out the schedule so we didn't depend on that.

Food: very good. lots of restaurants to choose from, what with all the Iberostar's right next door to each other there is a huge selection of restaurants. Since there are so many, none were ever too full. Even though some recommend reservations - and we did make reservations - there was always room. I can't say I have a favourite restaurant because each had good menu options. I tend to lean towards the buffet restaurants because of the huge selection. The beach grill was good for snacks, and the restaurant closest to the beach (can't remember the name) was also the best, I thought, for buffet style lunches - the gyros were outstanding.

Pool: COLD! Very large, which is nice, but it never warmed up enough to spend extended periods of time in. Good for cooling off, though. The lazy river was a nice treat for my 2.5 year old. The children's pool (in the kids club area) was only knee deep but was even colder than the main pool, I thought. I've heard from many that they don't heat pools in Mexico anymore - very sad because it makes these huge pools basically useless during their coldest months (january and feb). Hardly anyone was in it for any longer than it takes to get to the pool bar and back. There was a small shallow area/ledge that was good for kids, but it was still cold so they didn't spend much time in the pool. The wave pool is unique, but again, it was cold. There is also a sports pool that we never went in or near, so no comment about that. There is plenty of room around the main pool and lots and lots of shade. Pick a spot near an "on land" bar because you'll get tired of getting in that cold pool just to get a drink at the swim-up bar.

The noise level at poolside was exemplary. They only did activities intermittently which is far nicer than the constant bombastic noise I've experienced in islands of the Caribbean. I can't even remember if they played music all day, which says something about the noise level - if they did, it was quiet enough for me not to notice.

Beach: very nice and very large. Clean, fine sand, but windy and wavy while we were there. The water's edge was warmer than the pool and that's where our kids got their water time. There are lots of lounge chairs and lots of straw parasols but get there early to reserve one.

Service: good. We sometimes needed to "nag" (ask more than once) but overall it was good. We always find Mexicans are not as friendly, cheerful or interactive as Caribbean nations that we've visited but the service is there. Just don't expect a party atmosphere from the staff.

We didn't make use of spa services or off-resort excursions, although friends of ours went to an aquatic/marine park where they swam with dolphins. They said it was outstanding, but pricey if booked through the resort. There was a day/evening when local vendors were allowed to set up shop but they did not harass or badger.

Overall we had a very good trip and I recommend Iberostar Paraiso Lindo to future travellers. We tend not to visit the same place twice (except for Sandals resorts) so we probably won't be back, but only because we like to experience different resorts and locales, not because we didn't like this particular resort.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank onehappymeal
calgary, canada
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Booked this trip for 13 people in my family, 6 of whom stayed 2 wk, 7 stayed til boxing day. Quick trip from airport. Best restuarants: Japanese and Italian (which doubled as a great breakfast buffet). Stayed in room close to pool, had a concierge in each bldg, which was very convenient, wave pool and lazy river great for our kids (ages 9 and 10). Waves ran for 25 min. each hr. Beautiful, compact lay-out of this resort. Ice Cream bar nice for kids. We felt very safe and by the end of the first week we let our boys go place on their own, like for ice cream, to lazy river. "Star Friends" animation people work hard!! They do a lot to promote their programs and people really seem to enjoy them. We took part in air gun, bingo, kids show (8:00 PM in theatre), volleyball, ping pong. They also try to invite themselves to sit with you during lunch buffets to ask about how you are enjoying the resort. Wait staff is very friendly and appreciates tips - we usually tipped $1-2 every couple of drinks to "Maria" at the wave pool. We always find that waiters(resses) treat people from Canada very kindly because most Canadians take the time to joke around with them and be respectful to the job they are trying to do. Mariachi band makes a few appearances during the wk. Room service 24 hr was prompt - always within 30 minutes, even at 5:30 AM on check-out day! One criticism: no music in Cajun restaurant , and played the same music every day at the wave pool - we were tired of it after 13 days. We filled out comment cards. They will fill up your "floaty toys" with air (we always bring some. DO NOT book with Dressel divers - boat driver was drunk and left equipment behind. They are not affiliated with the hotel. Iberostars are great hotels - we also stayed at one in Punta Cana 2 yr. ago. I have been to 5 all-inclusives and this one was the most compact for getting to room, buffet, pool, beach. You didn't fell like you couldn't run back to your room because it was too far. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank teshaCalgary_Canada
California
Reviewed 12 January 2010

What do I say. This was my second time in Cancun, the first time I was in my early 20's. I swore not to go back, I left with a sour taste in my mouth. Expensive, crowded with wild partier's and over commercialized, keep in mind I stayed on the hotel strip.Not knowing there was more. Now with two young children and 10 yrs later, I was really hesitant on taking my family there but the very patience travel agent assistant me in finding a suitable location for us. With the fear of going to another country and the crime stories you hear on the new. Its very frightening to travel with young children. We did go out of the resort to visit Xcaret, Chichen Itza and Playa de Carmen. Don't get me wrong we took extra prosecution and we where aware of our surrounding. We took taxis from the resort to our destinations as we contracted them to the entire day of our trip. My 4yr old fell and cut his chin at the resort they offered medical service at no charge and they followed up on him for the following 3 days to make sure he was well and didn't need anything. The hospitality of the people the amazing resort and the entire experience was more then we expected. I would recommend Iberostar Paraiso Lindo all inclusive resorts in Cancun(Rivera Maya )Mexico.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank tamari-Cali
san francisco
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We went with our extended family - kids ages 7 - 18 & adults - to celebrate our father's 80th birthday. The staff was so nice and helpful. We lost a few things while we were there & they always turned up at the lost & found. The rooms were clean, large, the wetbar was always stocked with the drinks we liked, the maids were so nice & went above and beyond to make sure the room was to our liking. There are activities for everyone - from beach volleyball to spanish lessons to dance lessons to ping-pong tournaments. Or you can do nothing & no one bothers you. The food is good. The head chef, Nancy, came out to our table at dinner at 4 of the 6 nights we were there to ask us how the food was, any recommendations, any special requests - anything she could do to make it better.

The people that work there don't get paid a whole lot and work 15 hours/day, 6 days/week so i was a bit surprised to see how few people left the bartenders & waiters & waitresses tips. We all left $2 for every meal - that's only $6/day and it means a whole lot to the help. Then we would always trip the cocktail waitress at the pool, bar or nightly show a dollar per tray of drinks.

The food was good - not great but good & there's so much to choose from there's always something that everyone likes. We really liked the seafood (La Marina) and Steakhouse restaurant. The italian was good as well. My least favorite was the Mexican restaurant. The buffets were delicious - always had lots of veggies & fresh grilled chicken & fish.

The shows each night were very entertaining for adults & kids.

I would definitely go again. And i urge everyone to tip the help - especially the maids & food staff b/c it's a little gesture that goes a long way.

When we go there we asked to moved from the ground floor to the 3rd floor - no problem. The conceirge was very helpful when we needed them. The front desk was always accommodating. Can't say enough great things about the place.

2 Thank mostes
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Beautiful resort. Everyone had a great time. We had 4 children with us...ages 15, 13, 12 and 10....safe for teh kids with lots to do.

Suite was beautiful. Food was good for an all inclusive with several choices of restaurants.

Would go back...prefer over a regular hotel....had so much to offer....wave pool, lazy river, ping pong, pool tables, beach......water sports...something for everyone.

3 Thank sandybeach49
Texas
Reviewed 10 January 2010

We booked trip through - Go Iberostar Vacations -Kelly Davis-[--], who did an EXCELLENT job, with great communcation & personal service.

Hotel experience was much better than expected, it was our first time at an all-inclusive.

Rooms: We had 2 std. rooms that connected in bldg. 55. I had originally preferred closer to the water, but afterwards we decided we really liked this location. Rooms were nice, comfortable size, very clean, outdoor patio (we were on first floor), not noisy. Beds were a little on the hard side, but other than that, very positive.

Hotel grounds: Beautiful!! We enjoyed walking around checking everything out (we stayed during Christmas break & decorations & lights were very pretty) The many pools were awesome. Beach was nice but we only had one sunny day, so we'd just walk out most late afternoons.

Food: Our travel agent, Kellie Davis, made our requested dinner reservations prior to arrival. These ala carte restaurants weren't our favorites & in fact, we cancelled after dinner #2. Breakfast buffet was really good; eggs cooked to order & a huge assortment of choices. The food tasted fresh & we always knew we could count on a good breakfast. Our favorite was a little taco shop in the shopping area. Here the tacos were cooked to order & it also had a great nacho bar. Nearby there was an ice cream shop we hit after tacos. Room service was efficient with good service. We kept it simple with cheese pizzas & really good flan.

Entertainment: We traveled w/ teens, but there was TONS of outdoor & poolside activities for children. For teens, there was water volleyball & beach volleyball, but mine
didn't play. There were shows nightly, some where children got to participate, like a dance off. We went to
one where volunteers were pcked from the audience. It was hilarious.

Overall, we really had a great trip. This hotel is hard working & service oriented. We traveled Dec. 19-23, so it was full capacity but was so large it was not a problem, except on the sunny day, most chairs were occupied at the beach. If you decide to go, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

4 Thank lee185
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,727 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Lindo? Share your experiences!