“Ok- but only for a few days”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and went on a RCI exchange that a family member has. We had been to this resort over 7 years ago when it was still not complete so we were excited to see how everything turned out. I was hoping that the beach would be in much better condition this trip but it was still as I remember. Un swimable and rocky, I really am a beach person on a "beach" trip so this is one reason I will not return. The pool is very large and beautiful and maintained well. I ususally go to all inclusives and stay on the reosrt premises 90% of the time but we would get pretty bored at the Mayan Palace so we went out most nights.

The breakfast was good but overall we ate outside the resort. ( just a quick ride to playa, Puerto morelos, and about 15 minutes from Cancun.

We had a nice get away for the money but next time we will stay in an all inclusive.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank chicagogal
There are newer reviews for Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

Reviewed 10 November 2011

Still at Mayan Palace but leaving tomorrow. All in all trip was nice but did not start very well.

This is my second visit to a Palace resort. Upon checking out room, I thought this reservation was going to be a huge mistake. Room was small, smelled damp and appeared dated. We had problems getting Internet and phone service to call U.S.

Things definitely improved once we left room and walked to the pool. Grounds and pool are very nice. Staff was very helpful and wait staff wad always checking on us for food or drink. As the week progressed, we realized that the time in our room was minimal so we got over that.

Negative comments. Internet was sporadic in room and at pool yet we still had to pay $95 per computer for one week of Internet. We routinely had to shut off the iPads and "reboot". Next, there is no place nearby to eat but on the grounds. Things got pricey rather quickly. Finally, on three occasions, we were given towels with stains on them. I don't have stains on my own towels so I don't expect to have stains when paying $100's per night for a room.

Not sure if I will return here or not but I will try another Palace propery before condemning the whole company.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank daddio1960
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We traveled as 3 very special girlfriends for a well needed get away. One of us had the RCI timeshare. We split costs 3 ways so a 2 bedroom suite was well worth the cost.
Pros- Very pretty resort and I've been to my share. Room was on the first floor in the building 3. I use a cane so this was a good thing. I could actually walk to the pools, beach and restaurants. The pools were awesome and the fitness program with George was the best. Pina Coladas are doubled at happy hour 11-1 and 4-6. Clean and well kept resort everywhere. Staff was amazing and super friendly. Ocean was beautiful to look at. Restaurants were all satisfactory. Loved Balachi and liked Havana moon. Best Guac I've ever had. 5 dollars for a ride to Playa del Carmen where we loved Wicky's at the beach. Did 2 days there since you really can't swim at our beach. Went to Walmart and stocked up on fruit, eggs, milk, cheese, crackers, peanut butter and coffee. Hurricane Rina was on her way. They kept us well informed and made all of us feel snug as a bug during the storm. No RCI presentation pushed on us. We refused. It was that easy.
Cons- Room smelled like musty mildew and if you put on air conditioner, it was worse. Bugs were everywhere...the biting kind so bring bug spray. The water in your room on arrival is not given to you to be nice. If you drink those bottles they will appear on your bill. The beach was such a disappointment. Rocks, rocks, and more rocks. Paying for a resort you want the beach and the blue green water to swim in. Felt trapped in the resort since there is nothing you can walk to. I have stayed up the road at Dreams in Cancun. It was an all inclusive and was way better. Felt the food was costly at the restaurants in the Mayan Palace and ate the same thing every night. The TV is a joke only maybe 4 stations in English. We were trying to follow the hurricane. Forget it.
Would I return.....No I came from Connecticut for the beach and had to leave the resort to swim in it. My husband, if he was there would have gone bongers with no entertainment at night just dark pathways with bugs.

Room Tip: Higher floors and buildings 1-3 only. Go to Playa del Carmen and stay at the Royal. Spend time at Wi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
13  Thank 60-ish
Reviewed 3 November 2011

The Straight Truth on Mayan Palace

Here’s the deal, Mayan Palace is much, much, much better than all of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor lead on. But it’s not quite as nice as some of the folks say. But again, this is just my review, your mileage may vary.

And because every circumstance is different, I’ll lay out the facts. My wife and I visted October 16-21 (low season). We were on the 3rd floor of building five (a nice short walk to the beach, pool, restaurants, etc).

You can read a longer review and see detailed pictures on my blog at:

We arrived at 2:00 on a rainy (deluge) Sunday and the lobby was pretty empty. Check-in was slow for the amount of folks in there. I would hate to arrive when a lot of folks are checking in at once. We had e-mailed in advance to ask for a closer building and a room on the third floor. The person checking us in noted “Yes, I see you are here to celebrate your 10th anniversary.”

The Rooms

When we first checked in to our room it smelled a little damp and musty. Once we turned the ac up a little and turned on the fans the smell dissipated. It may have just been because it was so damp outside. When we came back to our room after dinner on the first night, we didn’t notice the *smell at all.

The rooms at the Mayan are nice. They aren’t amazing, but they are pretty good. The beds are super comfortable as long as you like a firm mattress. The linens are middle of the road. They are not luxurious but they are much better than what you get in a typical Hilton or Marriot level hotel. It’s nice the have the kitchenette although we didn’t do much cooking in our room. We did boil water frequently for use as drinking water. I have a pretty bad water habit and I feel guilty going through multiple water bottles per day.

The bathroom at the Mayan Palace is just ok. There aren’t any soaking tubs or Jacuzzis and there is just a single sink. You can’t win them all…

And yes, this resort is SPREAD OUT! The last time we stayed here we were in building 9 or 10 and it was a drag to be so far away from the beach and restaurants. I don’t doubt that my review would be less sunny if I was writing it after having been in one of the “way far away” buildings.

The Beach

The beach is beautiful but it is rocky. If a perfect white soft sandy beach is a requirement for you, you need to scratch Mayan Palace off your list immediately. If you can handle rocks and coral with your crystalline blue water then you should be fine. But be warned, aside from a few small sections, you’ll need water shoes for venturing into the ocean. It’s predominantly rock and corral and there are numerous holes where you can easily trip. That said, once you swim out a little ways, there are lots of fish and other ocean life hanging out in these little holes. And if you venture out to the man-made reef (a long row of hollow concrete spheres) you can see even more fish. The ocean was pretty rough on this trip so we had pretty bad visibility but we still saw a lot of parrotfish and other pretty fish. The pier is also really cool. It’s a great spot for watching fish from above. Sadly, they close it in the evening. I can only imagine how fun it would be to watch in the evening as sharks and other predators come out to hunt on the reef. Oh well. It’s available to rent for a private “dinner romantic” but I figured my wife wouldn’t appreciate me spending a romantic dinner looking for sharks.

The Pools

The pools are great. There is plenty of room to spread out, the temperature is great. From around 12:00-3:00 at the main pool they play dreadful music. Seriously, who wants to listen to bad techno and dance music in a tropical paradise. I. Just. Don’t. Get. It. During this time, I stay on the beach, plug in the ear buds and listen to Jack Johnson, Iron & Wine, Calexico, and so on. The pools at the Grand Mayan are also great. We had no trouble using the Grand Mayan facilities with our “lowly Mayan Palace wrist bands.” Maybe because it was the low-season. I don’t know – maybe because it was the low-season? Either way, there are lots of nice, quiet, secluded spots to relax and take it easy.

The Restaurants

The restaurants and wait staff at Mayan Palace are great.

Gong - Gong is Asian Fusion and has a good mix of Japanese noodle dishes, sushi, and other “Asian” food. We ate a light dinner there on our first night and it was delicious. We had steamed edamame and some various maki rolls. The Tabasco roll is simply amazing. I would never have thought to wrap a roll in grilled plantain, but it was nothing short of amazing. There is a sommelier who serves both Gong and Tramonto and he did an outstanding job of recommending a red wine that would overpower the sushi (I wasn’t in the mood for sake and didn’t want to splurge for champagne on our first night). We ended the meal with a dessert of grilled bananas and gingered dark chocolate. YUM.

Creperia – Inside the market/gift shop, downstairs from Gong and Tramonto is a creperia. Most of the crepes are good. The Mexicana (salsa verde, roasted poblano peppers, pumpkin blossoms, etc) and the banana y nutella are out of this world! Don’t miss them.

Balche and Frida’s Mexican Grill – The outdoor café by the pool is called Balche by day and Frida’s Mexican Grill by night. Our beach waiter served us everyday and the food is fine. It’s not amazing, but it’s not bad. The grilled fish sandwich is great. At night, when it turns into Fridas, that’s another story. At that point, they begin serving some of the best Mexican food you have ever had (and yes, I have had great authentic Mexican in Mexico and the US, including going to all of the Rick Bayless restaurants). The Cochinita pibil is out of this world. It’s basically little chunks of pork shoulder, seasoned with achiote, wrapped in banana leaves, and roasted until it almost melts. The green chile sauce at Fridas is some of the best I have ever had as is the mole. My wife and I joked that the chef should offer a cooking class just to teach those two sauces. Other items not to miss are the tamale appetizer (four different types of tamales) and the tacos al pastor. If you get the The Cochinita pibi, consider pairing it with a Mexican red wine. We had a nebbiolo from the Guadalupe Valley that was really good. Fridas is closed on Thursday – I’m guessing to encourage people to do the “Mexican Feast” at Del Lago.

Tramonto – The Italian restaurant is also great. It was our favorite last time, and we saved it for our last night. Our biggest complaint of our trip is that we couldn’t go to every restaurant twice. We saved Tramonto for our actual anniversary and we had a great meal. Everything on the menu sounds amazing and it’s hard to narrow things down. The bruschetta is great. One thing we noticed all week long is that any time we had peppers (red, green, poblano, fresh, roasted, whatever) they had so much more flavor than the peppers we get at home (even more so than the fancy Whole Foods peppers). I don’t think words can really describe the meal we had. Our server was amazing, our wine (a Mexican Merlot) was amazing. Everything was perfect.

Havana Moon – They call Havana Moon a Cuban restaurant, but there isn’t a whole lot of Cuban food on the menu. We felt that Havana Moon was the weakest of the restaurants. My wife ordered the pad thai and it was just ok. I ordered the coconut curry shrimp and they were amazing – coconut fried shrimp with a great curry dipping sauce and an asian slaw on the side. Our dessert that night was also a let down. It was called the Coco Cubico (Coconut Cube). You’d think with a name like that you couldn’t lose, but it was bland and boring. Also, the tables and chair at Havana Moon are not very comfortable, the tables are low and the supports cut into your legs forcing you to sit at odd angles. However, the show was amazing – mostly just because it was crazy and we didn’t know there would be a show. Without much warning, a group of dancers busted in doing what could best be described as a seen from Eyes Wide Shut – scantily clad dancers with animal head costumes. Surreal!

Something Fish – The name of this one is escaping me, but tucked in the pool area in the Grand Mayan is a little cevicheria. We ate lunch there one day and had the fish tacos and the smoked marlin burrito. The fish tacos were pretty good. The marlin burrito would have been good if it didn’t have cheese. Then again, we might have blown our appetites on pina coladas and chips…

The Burger Custom Made – hidden in Luxe is a “hip burger joint” that’s all L.A. and South Beach inspired. We never ate there, but some of the burgers sounded pretty good. Next time…

None of the restaurants are “Mexico cheap.” The maki rolls at Gong are in the $8-15 range and entrees are probably $15-40. Crepes are $8-10 (but 3 for the price of 2 from 3:00-9:00). At Tramonto, Fridas, and Havana Moon entrees are $12-50. But that $50 at Tramonto will get you a chateau briand. I threatened all week to get it. But something about eating a pound of beef didn’t seem like what I wanted to do on my ten year wedding anniversary. I settled for a lighter dinner, the first cognac of my life, and a great evening.
So all of these things are great, but what really holds it altogether is the staff. The staff at Mayan Palace is friendly and professional. You couldn’t ask for better folks. From the housekeeping staff, to the bartenders, to the beach waiters, to the waiters in the restaurant everyone was friendly and welcoming.

Oh, about the time share folks. Just say you are not interested and they will leave you alone. If you’re stupid enough to do a time share pitch (anywhere) you get what you deserve. My wife and I fell for one on our honeymoon in Puerta Vallarta. That’s 3-4 hours we’ll never get back. But the economy was better back then and the sales tactics were probably a little lower pressure. Seriously, just say no. You’re on vacation. Don’t waste your precious time for some discounts and a “free breakfast.”

If I had any complaints, it would be about the quality of tequila and margaritas. I’m in Mexico – I expect access to an insane selection of top shelf tequilas and mescals and to margaritas made with fresh juice rather than mix. The basic margaritas are made with mixto tequila and sour mix and they are not that good. I’m sure we could have tracked down a better margarita but that would have required work. They really should have a tequila list and things drinks like the Paloma. But I understand that in a place that big, making drinks by hand from fresh fruit is a little difficult. Luckily I stocked up at the duty-free store and brought home a lovely selection of tequila and mescal and I can make my own drinks. I just can’t enjoy them under a palapa with my feet in the sand….

* Oddly – when we got home from vacation and went to do laundry, we noticed that many of our clothes smelled like the room smelled on the first day. Weird. No worries – the smell washed right out.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
32  Thank Pdodge77
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The resort is absolutely beautiful, and the service was phenomenal. The staff could not do enough for you. We were there as Hurricane Rina was approaching, and the hotel did a brilliant job of keeping us posted as to the status of the storm and what they were doing to prepare for our safety. A plus for us was a $300 food and beverage credit from RCI at certain restaurants. That certainly helped the bottom line. The food at very restaurant was wonderful. Even food service was a great experience. As many had mentioned, the pools and pool service were fabulous. The shuttle into Playa del Carmen at 50 pesos each way was a great deal. We shopped at the Walmart there in preparation for the hurricane. We were in building 8, right next to the main lobby. We found this building very convenient to walk to the pool or take the shuttle to the pool/restaurants if we wanted this option. The only negative was the hard beds and pillows. The room was a little musty, but I think this is typical of the tropics, especially when a hurricane is on the way!

Room Tip: Higher floors and buildings 1-8... one being closest to the pool and 8 being closer to the lobby.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank luckyduckyCharlotte
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I've stayed at this resort before and loved it. The pools and grounds are spectular. Yes, it's very large. Yes, timeshare presentations are HARD WORK. Yes, you have to sign for everything because guests have different package types. No, this does not have a useable beach. No, the rooms are not ocean view. No, you can't park at your unit.

The problem I have with resorts this large is the lack of personal service, mass produced food and low staff to guest ratio. There were so many little problems this time around that I couldn't wait to get out of there.

If your package includes an airport pickup, confirm it many times because you may be left standing, forgotten, in the pouring rain like I was. I wish they'd given the Panini press in the Deli a rest and not crushed my food each time without asking I wish they would stop using canned ingredients and Velvetta on their Mexican nachos ("It's very hard to get fresh ingredients in Mexico, Mamam"). I hated the cigarette smoke wafting into my room from other rooms and the high traffic noise from the hallways. It was frustrating that I could never get a question answered. I would have spent more money on drinks and food at the pool if I could have gotten service. I REALLY hated that the maids begged for money on both of my trips here.

The electronic locks kept locking me out of my room and staff could not get the door open on the last round. The good news is that I found that I could take the flexible plastic DO NOT DISTURB sign and easily pop the door open. The bad news is that anyone can do that.

There are many. many other places to stay ..............

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank klraus
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We just got back, overall the place is great. Service is super; the pool (like everyone says) is great. As far as the Time Share Push, that will always be at all the resorts. If you are not use to it get used to it. We even get it in Wal-Mart. However, we have been to three Mayan Palaces, and this was the least pushy of all, we just said no on check-in (you have to talk to them before you can go to your room), but they give you a lot of info on the hotel when you are checking in with them. They called on Monday and Tuesday but we were already gone, so they left a message. They called on Wednesday, and I said we were not interested, they did not call back.

We were there when Hurricane Rina was to hit. They were very prepared, and I never felt safer. We stayed and it was not as bad as predicted. They kept us informed and all was well. We stayed the day in the room, and since we prepared with extra food, we just cooked that day (although some of the resort restaurants were open for each meal, they did close the bar early on the evening it hit).

If you have 3 or more in your group use the Taxis, not the Shuttle from the Hotel. It is cheaper (the City bus is a lot cheaper). This also includes returning to the Airport. You will spend $15 a person using the hotel transportation (so you are on their schedule) and only $37 for a Taxi and you are on your schedule. With the shuttle down town if you have 2 or less people it is great, but for a couple of more dollars you can get a taxi, and do not have to worry about schedules and location, you can get one at any store in town.

We went down town the first night and they had us go to the tourist area, we ate there and while the food was great, it was costly for just some tacos. Walked to the Store (Mega Mart) to get supplies for the week, and two local taco places right across the street from Mega Mart for 25% of what we paid down town. Go to mega mart or walmart and get your supplies there, cook your own breakfast, saves a ton. Make sure you do your own dishes.

Restaurants we very good, we ate mainly at the Mexican Grill by the pool. And we shared 2 entrees for the 3 of us, there was plenty of food. Prices while expensive on the local side they were fine to American cost. If we wanted to go down town to eat it would cost us more for the taxi then we would save by eating off resort.
For tours, book your own, do not use the Tour agency, read what people have liked on the internet, and e-mail them before you get to Mexico. The reason I say that, is if you go through the timeshare presentation, you get a lot off of many of them. In all actuality it appears they just raise the prices for those who do not attend. They also push you towards some of the ones they get more money at, but might not be the best. The problems with booking your own is you have to catch them at the front gate (and in the afternoon it is hard to get a ride to the front gate), the tour can bring you back to your lobby, but not pick you up there. Also I was thinking the guards at the front were trying to get me to go on a different tour when they wanted all my tour information, and wanted me to stay in the resort until they verified who was picking us up. They are really helping you, because others will lie to you and tell you they are your tour (then take you to some other resort for a time share presentation). So give your name and the tour operators name and your room number. They will have you wait in the resort area and get you. It does work.

We used the following two tour groups for trips to the Mayan Ruins, they are both very good. They are related to each other, and give both LDS and Non-LDS tours. We went with Lemuel (www.ldstour.com) to both CHICHEN ITZA - CENOTE - EK BALAM Tour one day and a Special tour that we worked out with him to Dolphinaris (Swimming with the Dolphins, http://www.dolphinaris.com/locations/riviera%20maya.aspx ), Grand Cenote and Yal Ku (AKUMAL) Color Fish-Reef and Swimming with Giant Sea Turtles. Both trips were great and we had my 14 year old daughter with us, Lemuel, because he does have kids that age, really brought her into every conversation. While I do not think she really loves history, he got her talking about the Mayan History. The reef and Cenote (sink hole, underground rivers) swimming was breathe taking. Both trips we went to a great places to eat. I told him I wanted to go to where locals ate on the second day; he took us to this place that serves great Seafood Ceviche. It is in Tulum, looks like a dive (in US standards) but I would eat there every week if I could.

The other trip we took was with www.lds-tours.com and Carlos was our guide. He took us to Tulum and Coba ruins. We loved it and he had a ton of great history information for us. His knowledge of Archeology is also very good. We loved the trip. We did this as a semi-Private trip with another couple, and did save us some money and had a great time. Another great thing is Carlos took us to a small town and we visited two different Mayan Families, it was very neat, and we enjoyed it very much. One family played us music and did a Blessing on the group. Really cool.

The items that are not so good with the hotel (need I say Bad): Beds are very hard, I mean very hard. Location is a Taxi ride to get anywhere. The Mayan Palaces in Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta have things that are very close, so you can walk and go out to eat. I would suggest that the owners of all the hotels on that strip get some locals to build a few Restaurants closer so people do not feel trapped. If you do get stuck in the room for a day like we did, the TV choice if you do not speak Spanish is limited.

Overall GO THERE!!! It is great, get out of the Hotel and see the Mayan Culture.

Room Tip: Book your Tours on the Internet before you go. Confirm the Day Before.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess All Suite...
#81 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
#3 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!