“Absolute Paradise” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Michigan
“Absolute Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2009

This hotel exceeding my expectations, I would definitely recommend staying here. The rooms were a good size and the decor was up to date. The restaurants offered at the resort were very nice and the food was good. To put your mind at ease from reading past comments about the walk to the pool, it's not as bad as you may think! When your surrounded by beautiful trees and landscaping how can you not enjoy the walk. I would recommend also taking a ride to Playa Del Carmen, its a very neat little town with lots of restaurants, bars and shopping.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daisy037

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

The Mayan Palace is a vaction ownership property with a golf course, entertainment on site & a variety of food choices. The pool area is very nice but many people have a tendency to keep the cabanas all day. The spa is very nice but is extra as is some of the entertainment. Overall it is a very nice place. I imagine it is pretty hard to get an ocean view as there are very little rooms of this type due to its design to avoid wind damage the rooms are generally away from the ocean side.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mndocRushCity_Mn
20171
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

Great place to stay. The resort has enough restaurants so that you do not really need to go outside, where the traffic just puts anything an hour way anyway.

Portland OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

I went with my sister and my two daughters for a week of relaxation. My daughters were 8 & 11 and they LOVED the pool(s). We really went just to relax, so we didn't do much sight-seeing, but there was plenty to do if you wanted to. I thought security at the hotel was superior - when we took a taxi out of the resort, they have security checking the taxi's in and out and tracking who has left the hotel. I had never seen this before in other Mexico destinations I've been to. One of my daughters had come down with a virus just before we left for Mexico, and we ended up having to go to the doctor while we were there. They have a doctor on sight at the hotel and he was great, easy to get to, did all the paperwork quickly for insurance purposes and had medication on sight, so we didn't have to go to the pharmacy. The concierge employees were wonderful and always helpful...I would go there again.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank anavPortlandOR
Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

OK, some of us have been there. I am an owner at Wyndham.
I stayed here through another owner, for a wedding. It has got to be one of the worst experiences I have had staying at a resort of this nature. They did not stand behind any marketed "discounts", they questioned the discounts we said we were told we'd have even after showing the receipts. The "90 min" presentation you have to attend to get the discounts turned out to be 5 hours. We purchased a six pack of beer the first evening and it was $34.00 USD. We had horrible service at the restaurant and could not reflect that through the tip because it was already included in the total. Management didn't care if the service was bad.
Be careful what you are promised, you probably won't get it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank plaire1
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

The reason we stayed at the Mayan Palace - Riviera Maya is 'cause of my boyfriend's family's timeshare. This was my first time in Mexico and though I have been to different countries, my first time staying in a resort. My boyfriend had been to Mexico before and has traveled a ton - staying in resorts; thus, he had a great stay also. We didn't have all-inclusive amenities, so were on somewhat of a budget.

First, the overall experience of this resort is a pleasant one. The resort is modern and room was nice and clean. We didn't have a balcony or a view, but this was okay. Unfortunately, the bed mattress was uncomfortable after several nights. However, it was great to feel the breeze of the air-conditioning after being out and about in the nice hot sun.

From where our building was located it was quite a trek to the main area; however, this lead to us taking in some good walking exercise. They have golf cart trolleys that come around throughout the resort which was a neat experience; however, waiting around for them wasn't too fun. I preferred to walk many times, but it would be difficult for older / disabled folks to have the choice. The gardens and landscaping were beautifully manicured.

The location of the resort isn't that great, because a cab has to be taken out of the area. To take a regular bus, it is quite aways to the front entrance of the resort and it is located along the highway which doesn't feel safe. However, their tour buses come right near the check-in entrance.

The pool area is large and very nice. They held pool side activities for kids and teens during the day. It was relaxing and fun to lay on a sun chair and watch the games unfold. At night, the pool looked enticing and romantic to use. Unfortunately, we didn't use it 'cause I don't think it was heated. The beach is alright, but I've experienced better. The hammocks were relaxing and a nice addition.

We didn't eat at the resort much, due to price. The food we ordered pool side, for room service, and dinner in the Havana Room were decent. The latter having the best strawberry fruit drink I've had in my life called a 'Frescada'.

The service was excellent and many staff were friendly, especially the front desk check-in staff. The free bottled water they provide at the desk was great, and they even saw us 'sneak' extras without retribution.

We managed to avoid the timeshare presentation, simply 'cause of timing - they didn't have any presenters left available. This made us happy 'cause we could see the presentations dragged on for other guests. The free breakfast provided, due to us having agreed to attend the presentation, was phenomenal.

The packaged tours we booked through the hotel 'cause I believe we got a further discount for having agreed to the timeshare presentation was money and time well-spent.

The pay-for-use Internet Cafe was a real life-saver in that I was able to save my memory card photos on disc from the blank CD I bought there. I also had a project due for school that I was able to complete 'cause there wasn't a time limit on the computer - unless it is really busy. Also, if you didn't use up all your computer minutes, you could save them for another day. It was convenient that the Cafe was open late at night.

There isn't much night-life at the resort, 'cause it seems tailored to older guests. We aren't much for partying either, but a little more spice with music and dancing would have been a nice addition.

I'm displeased at how they keep crocodiles on site as this isn't very humane. Supposedly, they take them from nearby waters.

To top it all off - we had one night left, but checked out early to catch a flight. However, we had passport problems and had to stay in Mexico longer. The resort had no problem taking us back for that 1-night extra we gave up - no questions asked. It was great to not feel like a hassle by inconveniencing them.

Overall, a positive and recommended experience.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank embVancouver
granola911
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

We have stayed here twice through timeshare exchanges so the value was awesome! Both times our units were far from the pool area, but unlike all the whining you hear from the lazy, we found the walk absolutely lovely!! The grounds are beautifully landscaped and maintained. And with all the eating that is done on a vacation, I welcomed the easy 1/4 mile stroll. But for those not fit enough or with disabilities, there is a wonder transport trolley system all around the resort which runs constantly.
While the beach is not swimmable, it offers nice wading. Bring a pair of water shoes and you’ll enjoy it. And even if unswimmable it is breathtakingly beautiful! Lovely for sunset strolls. We spent our days sitting at the beach taking in the view, with the fabulous pool only a couple of steps behind us when we wanted to take a swim. I, for one, had no issue with this great combination.
As for the restaurants at the resort…. Pricy? Absolutely. And as you will read from other review the values and offerings in downtown Playa are way better. Just do yourself a favor and rent a car!! There are so many great attractions nearby that it is well worth it!
Want a fabulous day at the beach? Puerto Morales about 10 minutes north of the resort is amazing! Gorgeous soft sand beaches for miles in either direction! Great local food and atmosphere. And there are local guides who take groups out for what will be the best snorkeling of your life, only about 300 yards off shore!
So to sum it up… the Mayan Palace is a great place to stay. It has a lot to offer especially that it is located near so many wonderful attractions (go to Tulum!)
But take this advice…. Sit on the beach, enjoy the view, bring your cooler full of your own beer, beverages and snacks!. Rent a car!! Eat away from the resort. Definitely go to Puerto Morales for beach days and snorkeling (way better than Cozumel and sooooo inexpensive!) And at all costs…. Stay away from the timeshare sharks!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,602 reviews

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!