“Honeymoon at the Mayan Palace - Great Experience.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
“Honeymoon at the Mayan Palace - Great Experience.”
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We had a great time. The hotel is beautiful, very relaxing, amazing huge pool. People are extremely nice. The place is beautiful.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lubbock, TX
Reviewed 17 October 2009

If you like traveling to a foreign country and then separating yourself from anything that might identify said country as foreign, I suppose this place is for you. Also, if you like overpriced, unappealing, and again, inauthentic food, then this is also the place for you. I'm being fairly negative here, so I guess I should say that the pools are very nice.

We spent the week there, and only paid cleaning fees (on a swapped-out RCI timeshare), and that was about worth it. We spent the vast majority of our day time away from the resort (at Coba, Puerto Morelos, Tulum, Gran Cenote etc -- traveling in rental cars). We did take a half-day to enjoy the pools and beach of the Grand Mayan. There are sections of the pool that are secluded and semi-private, which was really nice for a family with small, loud kids.

The rooms were fairly clean (one day I noticed a line of ants coming in from outside, but I called housekeeping about it and they were gone by the time we came back from the day's activities and didn't return), and nicely appointed. The shuttle system was more baffling than annoying. Also, if you have a large group (more than 4 people), at peak usage it's often impossible to get all of you on one shuttle.

I should probably note that I had a negative experience because I'm not a "resort guy". I guess I prefer "doing stuff" when I "travel thousands of miles to foreign countries". As far as resorts go, I'm probably unqualified to really comment on the Grand Mayan, but I've heard there are better ones in the area. Go to those.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank tasdemer
San Bernardino, CA
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Flight – We flew out of LAX on Sept 13, 2009. Flight was fine, nothing too exciting. We flew on Mexicana Airlines. They were on time, served good food & kept the cocktails coming. All at to additional cost! They really know how to treat their customers. US airlines should take note. I would definitely use Mexicana again. At the airport in Cancun, we fell for our first (& last) trap! The time share people!! My advice is to get your bags and head straight for your limo/shuttle/taxi or whatever. Don’t stop to talk to anyone. They are not there to help you.

Shuttle – We used CANCUN TRANSFERS to pick us up from the airport. For 4 of us, we got a private shuttle from the airport to the Mayan Palace for $95 USD (round trip – this included them picking us up on our last day and taking us to the airport). Wonderful! Wonderful! Our driver even stopped at an OXXO (like a 7-11 in the US) and let us pick up some beer, ice, drinks & snacks for our room. He wasn’t supposed to, but we talked him into it. I definitely recommend them.

Mayan Palace – Beautiful Resort. When we checked in, they tried to put us in bldg 8, I asked if they could get us closer to the pool, so they put us in bldg 5. When we arrived, the room was very hot and humid, but the A/C was on and running full blast! We called maintenance and the guy came and “fixed” it. He told us to wait about 20 minutes before we would notice a change. It started to actually get hotter! So, we called the front desk and explained. Maintenance came out again and said nothing was wrong. At this point I’m getting pissed, so I called the manager and he said that his guy told him everything was fine, so everything must be fine! WHAT???!!! So I’m a liar?? Now I’m really angry. Our friend that we were with decided to call the manager, and maybe because he’s male, the manager agreed to move us to bldg 2, a new room w/ glorious wonderful A/C. There is no way we could have lived in that room for a week like that. I would have died in the humidity, we all would have. OK, enough of that. When we finally settled in, we hit the pool area for dinner at Balche. An outdoor restaurant overlooking the ginormous pool. Food was awesome, but the service was a little slow. My theory is that since the tips are already included in EVERYTHING that you buy on the resort property, the servers/waiters don’t have any incentive to work for a tip. As a former waitress/bartender, that kind of bothered me, but we were on vacation so I guess I just needed to relax and not be in such a hurry.

Pool – Way too warm! Not refreshing at all. I don’t think that they actually heated the pool, it’s just that hot in Mexico. Beach area sucked, couldn’t swim. My husband forbid me to try and navigate the coral to go out further because he was drinking and didn’t want to have to try and rescue me drunk. I didn’t blame him, it looked like only the crazy teenagers were doing that far. The pool bar by Balche was awesome, the bartenders were great and since my husband spoke Spanish, I think we got a lot of drinks on the house because he made friends with the bartenders. They loved him. My hubby and friends are “happy” drunks and are always the life of the party. We kept the pool area from getting too boring by doing shots, dancing, bringing down our iPod dock so that we could listen to good party music and so on. The employees really appreciated us being the life of the party. We played water volleyball in the pool and at the beach. We did the water aerobics too, whew, what a workout!

Playa Del Carmen – Typical tourist trap area. It’s cool if you want to shop for cheesy souvenirs and eat expensive meals. If you go off the beaten path, you’ll find those $1 tacos that are soooo good! But you really have to look for them, we had a hard time finding taco venders. Instead of pre-booking your excursions through a website ahead of time, go into Playa and book through there. We went through “Manny Chavez” and the Cigar shop on 5th Ave. We saved about $80 per person on our Chichen Itza tour (only paid $40 pp) and saved about $35 pp on a snorkeling tour to Cozumel. I think he gave us a pretty good deal. We always felt safe in Playa and there were no problems.

Chichen Itza – Considering this is one of the 7 Wonders of the World, if you are in the Yucatan, you MUST go and see these ruins. Absolutely amazing! It was hot, but there were no bugs or mosquito’s even though we were warned that there may be some. Beautiful site and very nice people.

Cozumel – Just like Playa, tourist trap. Nothing too interesting on the island. We went snorkeling and saw tons of fish and even saw a barracuda, that was scary & we kind of panicked. But all went well.

Very relaxing vacation and wonderful staff (except the maintenance A/C guy). I wouldn’t go back to this resort because it wasn’t all inclusive. We’ve gone to Jamaica and stayed at an all inclusive and it was much less stressful. At this resort, you had to wait for receipts to sign and sometimes they would have to chase you down in the pool if you got a drink and then swam away. Oops. If you can’t afford all inclusive, then you would like staying here. There were lots of kids however & we usually travel to get away from kids, but they weren’t too bad. Gold Course was nice and the guys loved it. All of the restaurants were great and very expensive, but you’re on vacation , so who cares, right!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SoCalGal007
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 October 2009

I was very anxious prior to staying at Mayan Palace, because of the reviews that were given in the past. I went with 7 of my girlfriends, ages 25-59 (wide range) and we all had a wonderful time here. We got an extremely good deal for the week ($79/each for 1 week) and we had a 2 bedroom suite in building 1.

Room: I sent an e-mail 3 days prior to arriving to request building 1. Heard that there is a lot of walking going on, and we wanted to be as close to the pool as possible. They accomidated us, we had a 1st floor room in building 1, basically as close as we could get to the main pool area. We were very pleased. The room was upated in style, the kitchen was well stocked, and included a fridge, microwave, and burners, along w/ all the pots and pans and cooking utencils we needed. The beds were pretty hard, but we requested foam pads, and they helped ALOT. They came every night and prepared the couches for bed, put all the linens on and did a second quick clean of the room. They cleaned so well all week, we felt like princesses. The air conditioning was so cold, we often had to turn it down because it worked so well. We had an issue w/ our fridge, and then w/ our TV, but we called and they had it fixed within 30 min. The operator (Felix) was so much fun to talk to and he helped us with EVERYTHING.

Pool: Beautiful. The pool area is HUGE. You really cannot fathom how large it is until you see it. They have about 15 different areas of the pool to hang out in, yet they are all connected. The servers at the pool area are attentive and friendly. We ordered food from the pool area, and it was always very good. The fish sandwich is soooo yummy. They have happy hour every day from 11-1 (2x1 drinks) and a "special" drink they serve 2x1 until 5. They also have affordable food in the giftshop area, including made to order sandwiches and salads. They allow you to bring floaty things into the pool, I brought a lounge chair from home and had no problems with using it in the pool. We also brought a bag-looking cooler and brought beer to the pool, and even though its clearly posted that its not allowed, they never said anything. One day we also ordered like 20 of the 2x1 beers, and they brought a large metal bowl w/ ice for us to keep them in. They were very very accomodating, even though they really didn't need to go to such great lengths. The pool is 24 hours, and at night there was no one in the pool. There were a few nights where we went swimming in the buff, and not a single person saw us or bothered us.

Beach: The beach was nice, but knowing that we couldn't go swimming in it, we really didn't spend much time there.

Puerto Morelos: For swimming in the ocean, we went to Puerto Morelos and hung out at a beach bar called Cabanas Ixchel. Its about 10 min from the resort. It was recommend to me by a friend that lives down there, and she was sooooo right. Its the only beach bar in Puerto Morelos, and its phenominal. Sarah, who runs it, makes the best margaritas ($3) and mojitos ($3), and the view is to die for. Its really like something out of a movie. We loved it so much we went there 2 days. There were no tourists, its a local spot, and it felt so surreal, I highly recommend. We also visited a place called "The Jungle Spa" in Puerto Morelos. Its not well known at all, and its kind of hard to find, so have the concierge call before you leave to get directions and to warn them you are coming so they can prepare. The massages are traditional Mayan massages, and they get in deep and move organs and all sorts of stuff. It was the best massage I've ever had. The massage itself is $35, and I also got an additional treatment of aloe, where the take fresh aloe and lather your body with it and then wrap you in banana leaves. Its amazing on your skin. That was $25. It was so worth it. Its not super fancy there, but these women have heart, and make it such a personal experience. Highly recommend it. We also got a personal guide for snorkling in Puerto Morales, and he was amazing. $25 got us 2 hours out in the ocean,and a very personal guided experience. Some of the girls were very scared to go in the water and snorkle, and he held their hands and made them so comfortable, soon they were loving it.

Cabs: Cabs are what killed us. They are super expensive. You can negotiate a price, just make sure you tell them upfront what you want to pay. The airport is only about 30 min away, so if you have a large group its cheaper to catch a cab back to th airport then to use their shuttle service. We also took advantage of the resorts shuttle to the Walmart in town, and we would pay $4.00 each one way to Playa. The last shuttle leaves at 6pm, so we would take the shuttle and then hang out in Playa until dinner.

Dinners: We often ate out in Playa or Puerto Morelos, and the food was delish! Talk to your cab driver about recommedations. We ate at the Blue Lobster one night, and it was fabulous, the service, everthing was amazing. We also ate out at the little taco places around town, the cab drivers were fine with making a pit stop to eat or whatever. We also got food from Walmart, and made a few dinners in our room. We never got sick, not any of us. And there was plenty of veggie eating going around. Word is that they have updated their pipes in the area. We still got very large bottles of water for our room, but I heard other people were drinking out of the tap and were fine.

Monkeys: We went to the Jungle Place near Tulum one day, and played with Spider Monkeys. Highly recommed this as well. It was $40 for 1 hour, and we got reseved alone time w/ the monkeys they rescued and raised. They were so fun and sweet. The owners Heidi and her husband took pictures of us the entire time, I think I have about 100 pics w/ monkeys on my camera. It was a once in a lifetime experience. Be sure to call or e-mail Heidi to reserve a time. They have a website just google The Jungle Place.

Nightlife: We went to a couple beach bars in Playa at night. The blue parot has free drinks for ladies on pretty much every night, and they play a mix of dance/techno/mexicana music. The dance floor faces the ocean, and the bar stools are swings! Very fun. We went to Coco Bongo on our last night. We were sceptical about paying $45 for the entry fee - but I can say they could charge at least $100 in the states and get away with it. It included all drinks, and it was the biggest party/show I've ever seen. Confetti and balloons were constantly flying around, they had dancers and music impersonators, and trapeze artists hanging from the ceiling. It was so much fun!!

The local people, everywhere we went, were very friendly and helpful. The staff at the resort were amazing. They have outlawed begging in the city, so no more harrassment of tourists. We felt very safe, being a group of ladies, and were taken care of wherever we went. From the local feel of Puerto Morelos, to the Big City experience in Playa, we had a memorable experience and will definitly be back to the area, and to this resort.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
14 Thank flutterby00
Michigan
Reviewed 10 October 2009

This hotel exceeding my expectations, I would definitely recommend staying here. The rooms were a good size and the decor was up to date. The restaurants offered at the resort were very nice and the food was good. To put your mind at ease from reading past comments about the walk to the pool, it's not as bad as you may think! When your surrounded by beautiful trees and landscaping how can you not enjoy the walk. I would recommend also taking a ride to Playa Del Carmen, its a very neat little town with lots of restaurants, bars and shopping.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daisy037
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The Mayan Palace is a vaction ownership property with a golf course, entertainment on site & a variety of food choices. The pool area is very nice but many people have a tendency to keep the cabanas all day. The spa is very nice but is extra as is some of the entertainment. Overall it is a very nice place. I imagine it is pretty hard to get an ocean view as there are very little rooms of this type due to its design to avoid wind damage the rooms are generally away from the ocean side.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mndocRushCity_Mn
20171
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Great place to stay. The resort has enough restaurants so that you do not really need to go outside, where the traffic just puts anything an hour way anyway.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#1 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
#3 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!