“back 3 days and planning our 2013 trip”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“back 3 days and planning our 2013 trip”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We booked 6 nights at the Del Mar on the recomendation of friends that had visited last year. We flew from Detriot to Cancun non-stop. Mexican Customs was a breeze and we moved QUCIKLY through the termnal to avoid the Time Share hawks. Its not as bad as I was expecting(about 150 feet from door to door). Once out side we located the Apple rep(Jorge), he was very helpful to our travel companions who had never experienced an all inclusive. We boarded the taxi van and were taken directly to the Del Mar. We started the vacation out right and got to know a very nice family from NYC who were orginally from Poland.

The entrace to the Iberostar complex is pretty amazing, from the high-way in the landscapeing is impressive. We were welcomed with open arms and ran into the only snag of the trip. We had booked a King room but they had us in a room with 2 full beds. The correction was handeled very quickly and we were very pleased with the room.

A wise lesson was learned our first night in the Lobby. A gentelman tried to take a shortcut around a potted fern by the pond, slipped and fell, gouging his knee badly. The hotel staff responded promptly but he eventually was taken by taxi to the hospital. The moral of that story is enjoy yourself but moderation is the key(your there for a week).

The food at the buffets was very good, lots of variaty and plenty of it. I admit I over did the Chili Rellenos on Mexican night and paid for it the next morning.(moderation is the key). The resturant near the beach had a great lunch every day( the small flat iron steaks were great). We visited 2 speciallty resurants the Japanese and the Steak House. Both were excellent.

We did take the Taxi in to Palya one moring but after shopping there and then visiting the shopping center we found that for a few extra dollars better quality goods could be found on site without haggleing and being bugged by the time share people.

Every staff member we met was very friendly and always helpful. The bartenders and wait staff really make for a fun day at the pool bar or and frendly eveing at the lobby bar. Try the Mohito at the pool bar.

We didnt even book an excusion, it was just to relaxing and fun to be on the beach or in the pool.

4 Thank m E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Joliet, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The lobby of Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar is beautiful. The whole hotel is very open with lots of walkways that are breezy and surrounded by lots of vegetation and exotic animals. The hotel had these raccoon like animals, birds, peacocks, black & white swans and flamingos milling about the property. The walkways are also surrounded by little ponds that have fountains in them that light up at night. The only thing I disliked about the property is that from the lobby to the beach, there is a lot of walking involved. There is a trolley available to take you from place to place, however, the trolley is supposed to run every 15 minutes, which it did not. Additionally, not all the restaurants and activities are in Paraiso Del Mar, some are at the shopping center which is closer to the Paraiso Beach and Paraiso Lindo hotel. So, if you want to go there, and don't happen to catch the trolley, there is a lot of walking involved also.
The specialty restaurants are only available for booking three times a week for every week that you stay, which I did not really like. The rest of the time you could go to a buffet near the lobby which had a different theme every night. This buffet was really good, the amount of different foods that they had was overwhelming. They served two breakfasts, one lunch, one dinner, and two late night snacks I believe. There was also another buffet near the beach/pool, but that buffet was only open for breakfast and lunch. For dinner that buffet turned into the Italian restaurant. On our trip my boyfriend and I went to the Italian restaurant and the Japanese restaurant. The Japanese restaurant was very good, it had an appetizer, soup, and main course. The cook put on a show, similar to a Bennihanna's restaurant. The Italian restaurant was disappointing though. I am a huge fan of Italian food and this was just subpar. The service was slow, and for the most part, the food did not taste good. Our last reservation we were supposed to go to the Steak House, however, we missed our reservation because we went on a shopping tour.
The pool is gorgeous, the Star Friends staff is wonderful, they go out of their way to interact with the guests and do fun activities. There is a swim up bar and a couple jacuzzi's, however, the jacuzzis are cold. I went and asked the concierge if they were supposed to be cold thinking maybe they were broken, but I was told they are meant to be that way. I was kind of disappointed. There are plenty of chairs and tiki huts to lay under, so there is never a worry of finding a chair. The hotel gives you towel cards, one per person, so you are always guaranteed a towel, however, you only get one beach/pool towel per day, which is kind of lame considering they always have tons extra. The pool closes at 7 PM, which I thought was a little early. The water was also cold, I thought for it being January they would have heated it a little.
The beach is beautiful, white sand, good surf. Some areas of the beach are kind of rocky so you have to be careful, but besides that it is awesome. There is a bar and a snack bar so you never have to go far for food. There is also always tiki huts and chairs available to lay out in no matter what time of day you come out. Additionally, while we were there, there were three weddings that we saw on the beach. :) The Star Friends are also out by the beach interacting with guests with fun games. The ocean water was very nice, cool at first but once you got out into it, it was warm.
At night, the lobby, specialty restaurants, buffet, and the nightly show is where everyone goes. Most people have dinner and then go to the lobby for drinks and cigars/cigarettes. If you have kids most people go to the show and do the same thing. Waitresses come around and take orders for your drinks so you don't have to lose your seats. The night shows are very crowded so it's good to get there early. While we were there there was several shows from dancers at Coco Bongo and a magician which was extremely good.
Finally, our room was a garden suite. We were in the 1400 block, which was about 6 minutes from the lobby walking, 6 minutes from the beach, and right across from the pool. The room had a king sized bed, very large shower but no bath tub, a safe, ironing board and iron, a couple shelves for folded clothes, wooden hangers, TV, alarm clock, phone, stocked mini fridge, coffee maker, and a balcony area with a place to hang wet swim suits and a table and two chairs. The room was very comfortable and the maid service was good.
Overall, I would definitely come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend a higher floor so you can't hear the people above you and so you can have a be...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Carneys Point, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Just returned from Iberostar Del Mar. We went for 5 days. We stayed in Maya last year
in January. I was disappointed in a few things. The rooms were okay but the maid service was not the greatest. Towels were not replenished and wash cloth's were hard to come by. I would shower and my feet would end up dirty before I was ready to put my shoes on. They only replenish mini bar every 2 days. Even water bottles werent replenished and u only get 3 to start. Called concierge for more water and were told no. I caught a maid in hall and tipped her $10 to bring me more water and beer. We were only allowed 2 reservations at ala cartes and waiting lists for other nights. The food was not the greatest in Maya and definately not great in Del Mar. Not much seafood on buffets at all. Not a lot of meat either now that I think about it. They have fanned out cheese all over the buffet. I think to make it look like they have more food then they do. The deserts were not all that great but the ice cream was great!. The pool is sweet better than Maya which is the higher catagory in Iberostar. The hot tub at the pool was bubbling but cold. Same temp as the big pool. The beach was nice and had a bar and buffet. The drinks are weak. I felt like I kept drinking and never felt anything. We actually bought liquor in Playa Del Carmen and added it to our drinks (I am not a drinker). The pool and beach activity staff were great, a lot of energy. A bug crawled under our door that looked like a roach. I took a picture of it. When we pulled up a toliet was outside in between the buildings. A guy in our group actually sat on it. lol. Not exactly what we wanted to see when we arrived. We traveled in a group of 12 and they were aware we were traveling together. We were spread out between buildings 13-16. Kinda disappointing. We did have a great time on the property. The disco was dated but we had a great time. We hung out at the lobby bar a lot. Over all we had a great time just being together. The second day we were there a survey was passed out at an ala carte resturant. I noted the problems with the room and the next day our beds were turned down with chocolates and towels were plentiful. They sent a flower arrangement and a apology note. No one else in our group had good maid service and no one else complained on their survey. Needless to say, no one else recieved consistant service, turn down of any kind, or wash cloth. The property is beautiful and the grounds are well kept. That was my second trip to Iberostar, Riveria Maya. I stayed in Maya which is ranked #2 out of 5 and Del Mar which is #5. Not much difference between the two. The main difference was we could go into all four of the resorts with our bracelet from Maya and only 2 with bracelet from Del Mar. A lot of kids in Del Mar. We did have a good time. But we are going to try another resort next time.

Room Tip: Choose a building in the middle that is not facing jungle. Or upgrade to a ocean view. The rooms ar...
5 Thank Doreen L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Walking into the lobby I knew we booked the right hotel for our family. The lobby was airy and inviting, the staff were welcoming and the check in process was painless. We were taken to our rooms, which were clean and comfortably appointed that added to the welcoming feeling.
We changed from our winter clothing to our beach clothing and in no time were having lunch at the beach side snack bar.
The walk from our rooms to the beach was a stroll through manicured jungle. The hotel left many of the native plants intact and crafted the walkways through the vegetation. In other locations where vegetation was cleared they added trees, shrubs and other tropical plants to make the entire property open and accessible, rather than closed off or busy. The peacocks and hens strolled around along with coatimundi, tuzas, iguanas, parrots, swans, flamingos and frogs. All very natural, nothing forced or caged. The coatimundi were a riot, reservedly begging for scraps or brazen if plates were abandoned by helping themselves to the leftovers. Nothing bad or frightening about them, just funny, cute animals.
The food was all very well done and flavorful. We ate in each of the 4 buffets and 2 of the specialty restaurants, which we found to be very good. In the Mexican La Hacienda, I recommend the kabobs flambé – so delicious and the flambé show the water put on was the best and the Brazilian steak house – yum – all meats brought to us were cook to perfection. At the buffets there was something for everyone, no matter even if you have a picky eater in your group, you were sure to be pleased. The one thing we will all miss is the fresh fruit. I particularly liked the Mayan bananas.
The pool was clean and had plenty of activity if you wanted. There is a tranquil/quiet pool area for those who want a more relaxed atmosphere. We chose to be in the middle of it all by the in pool loungers. There are plenty of lounges for guests too, with hotel staff circulating making sure you have beverages or meeting other pool needs. We met a nice couple from Chicago who have been coming to the del Mar for years. One of their sons will be holding his wedding reception there later this year. That says something when there are loyal repeat guests. I know we will be repeat guests.
The beach is wide and the sand is cool to walk on anytime of day. Coral sand is great for building sand castles or strolling on. The sea/surf is gentle and shallow for the first bit then gradually drops off to the perfect depth for playing Frisbee or football or body surfing or horsing around. And the water temperature is perfect. I know the hotel has no control over Mother Nature but Mother Nature favored this part of the Caribbean with perfect water.
And speaking of water, the tap water is perfectly safe since the property has their own water treatment facility. When a hotel goes to the lengths to make sure their guests have safe clean water that tells me they care about everything – and in the case of the del Mar it’s true.
Wonderful vacation we will certainly be back next year!

Room Tip: We like the rooms in villa 15, 16 or 17. They are central to the beach, pool, and restaurants. a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Just returned from the Iberostar DelMar (Jan 4-11,2012) in the Riviera Maya region of Cancun. The staff is wonderful, the food good, the beach great, and the rooms are kept very clean, but little things are popping up that caused us to be concerned. We have been there many times, but because the resort is expanding we were finding this property and the Beach Resort were not being maintained very well. The resort was always maintained extremely well.The grounds still look beautiful but the ponds and the pool were not being well maintained, the plumbing and electrical need updating. Our TV wasn't functioning properly - the remote needed batteries but when we called down to the desk to request new batteries or to have the TV checked, they suggested we call back and maintenance would talk us through on how to work a remote? It's a good thing we didn't mind not having the TV. These are little things but are these two properties being neglected because they are building higher end resorts that the middle class can afford? We also missed the music in the plaza - the place was dead. They don't advertise it well. The shops were open but a few of the restaurants were not. The dance club in the resort where you could either watch sports on the dozen or so TV's throughout, or listen to music and dance was closed. There was never anyone inside. This resort always had music for dancing and we missed it very much. One sax player in the lobby does not make a party. We also noticed that the place was almost empty. No lines for the buffet, you could find a pool or beach chair easily - you didn't have to get up before the crack of dawn to find one. It was very odd. This was our 4th stay at the resort and always judged our other trips by this one and no other made the grade, but now we see it slowing wasting away. I really hope it doesn't happen. The workers there show great pride in the resort and we would miss it terribly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool - not the road. The trams run fairly regularly but so are the ser...
6 Thank derbygirl55
Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The Del Mar resort was absolutely beautiful with very friendly personnel. Location was great with a very nice beach, beautiful walk ways thru nice landscaping, and overall just a pleasant place to stay. We didn't spend a lot of time in the rooms, but the rooms were beautiful and very well maintained. The resort is also conveniently located to take part in many outside excursions (most excursions will pick you up right at the front lobby).

Plenty of food and drink to enjoy at various times of the day/evening, and while I wouldn't say it was the best food I've ever had, there were plenty of options and everything tasted "at least" good. Beverage options included most top-shelf liqueurs ... and most important, the resort staff were extremely friendly and a pleasure to be around.

There wasn't a "lot" of night life for the younger crowd, however the resort's entertainment & shows were very enjoyable overall, and did a great job of including guests in the entertainment. I could definitely see myself visiting the Del Mar resort and the Rivera Maya region again!

One complaint I would add ... during our stay there was no operating hot tub. While this is probably not an issue for spring/summer travelers, a hot tub is an absolute requirement during the cooler evenings of the winter months.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Been to Mexico at least 20 times, First time at the Paraiso Del Mar and I had a great time! The staff is incredible! Not just friendly, but helpful, and extremely hard working. We received a much discounted upgrade to our room (got a suite on the beach!); the room was immaculately kept up; we had heard about moldy smells (which by the way would be NORMAL for the tropics!) but had no such issue. Anything we wanted or needed was brought to us pronto! Above and beyond expectations! The entertainment team was delightful! Kids would be very well accommodated.

Suggestions to the hotel: Either take “Don Julio” off the bar menu, or keep it at the bar! I absolutely hate false advertising! They did not have any premium tequila the whole week that we were there. I do not blame the Bartender, I blame the resort!!!

We loved the idea of having a special show featuring the kids that were at the resort – but the adults need something more up to date; i.e. more games that involve the whole family and more people on stage and more waitresses.

If you are a “foodie” then pay the extra couple hundred and go elsewhere. If quality, flavorful food is towards the bottom of your priority list – then go here. If you don’t like to walk, or have a physical issue that makes walking difficult – go elsewhere, this place is HUGE! There are golf cart transports but they don’t come around quite often enough in my opinion. I felt bad for the elderly that we left waiting for long periods of time in the heat Walking itself wasn’t the issue for us (we must’ve done 15 miles just on the beach!), it was the amount of time it took to get from one place to another. I understand we were on vacation – but our energy level is such that we want to be doing things, not getting to them. LOTS of people throw things on chairs to reserve them and they don't use them all day.... Very Frustrating!

Overall: Don't get me wrong, I still give this resort 4 Stars dispite how bad the food was, this is a gorgeous resort and a great family vacation spot for the budget conscious. Fix the Food and Beverage and I give you 5 stars!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!