“Paradise!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Scunthorpe
“Paradise!”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

It is diffucult to explain just how wonderful this place is. From the minute you set foot into the magnificent marble lobby you know you are in a very special place with flamingos and swans swimming serenly on the adjacent crystal clear ponds.
A massive hotel with huge and very comfortable rooms, (the showers were amazing too!) Housekeeping do a great job of keeping the place spotless with a range of towel creations on the bed each day and the minibar in the room always fully stocked.
Excellent food choices with a mouthwatering array of hot and cold foods available at all times, my only complaint is that I ate far too much! The bar waitresses and bartenders could not have been better, always smiling and always remembering your favourite drinks and in some cases bringing you fresh ones without being asked.
The pool is stunning with plentiful sunbeds and the unique waterfall feature which was a joy to stand under on a hot day. Extensive jungle grounds are home to much wilflife including the cute little coati which seemed so tame and adorable. (The peacocks too would wander right up to you with no sign of nerves)
No holiday should be spent entriely by the pool and the magnificent white sandy beach is literally meters from the pool with a huge number of hammocks and sunbeds available.
Final mention has to be for the FABULOUS entertainment programme from sports and games during the day to the world class shows in the theatre at night- Las Vegas, Magicians, Boogie Nights, Musicals, Mexican, you name it, they did it and the singers, dancers and musicians were totally professional and could easily play any major theatre and sell it out! The 'Starfriends' of Johshua, Jesus, Wendy and all the others did a great job in keeping us truly entertained.
We WILL return to this hotel without a doubt, one of the best places i have ever had the fortune to visit.

1 Thank stevere
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacations and also thank you very much for your nice review and your recommendations. We are really pleased to see that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Once again, we thank you for sharing your experience and we cannot wait to welcome you back very soon!!

Kind regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed for a week with our kids and a group of friends. It was gorgeous, fun, amazing! The star friends kept everyone involved and entertained, from adults to kids. All the staff are friendly and helpful. The beach was beautiful, and we were able to snorkel right off the beach. Go meet Victor, our bartender at the swim up bar...he will always have a drink ready for you! I was very sad to leave!

Room Tip: We were in the 1200 building, close to pool and the smaller buffet. Great location. However we hav...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank hawk72rn
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear friends,
On behalf of all the staff and the entire management team at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you very much for choosing to be valued guests of our resort.

We have already shared all your amazing comments with all our staff, especially with the Star Friends and Victor the bartender at the swim up bar, we feel honored to know that you took the time to mention the outstanding efforts the staff made during your stay to make sure your vacations were the most amazing and enjoyable.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the beach and you were able to snorkel there too.

We really hope we can welcome you and your families again in a near future, to enjoy another unforgettable experience; if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us at rpparaiso@iberostar.com.mx
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2012

My husband and I visited Iberostar Del Mar from September 16 to the 23rd, for our honeymoon. Neither of us has taken a vacation in 15+ years so we were really looking forward to it!

Pros
* Beautiful lush gardens
* Wildlife
* The Ocean
* The Japenese Restaurant
* Being together on our honeymoon

Cons
* The food was awful. We chose Mexico based on what friends told us, however we were greatly disappointed. Breakfast was ok...but how can you really go wrong with eggs bacon and sausages, and fresh fruit? Lunch was hit or miss...and the dinner buffet was ALWAYS awful. I'm sorry, but there is only so much tastless pizza and hamburgers you can eat...My husband and I ate dinner rolls and fresh fruit trying to fill up. I think this is the first holiday I've heard of where I've come away having lost weight.
* All of the restaurants are open concept. At first I thought this was neat...Until I experienced walking half a mile to get there and literally feeling like I was melting in the heat and humidity...Until we saw all the little racoon like critters and pesky birds eating off plates on tables that had been left unattended. It was hard to fully enjoy your mush while you're melting and being stalked by black birds just waiting for you to get up so they can grab your food and sugar packets on the tables.
* The soda machines in the restaurants were swarming with wasps. My husband and I were always scared to get a drink.
* The beach was beautiful, but if you were lucky enough to find a place under an umbrella, the lounger was usually caked with food and dirty. We were afraid we'd catch a disease from them so we opted for a lounger in the sun instead. Loungers were never washed and clean in the morning.
* On our third day, one of your entertaiment staff said good morning to us in Spanish. I said good morning in English, worried that my Spanish was not up to par, at which point he stopped me and scolded me saying that he had made the effort to learn my language, and that I should do the same, and wouldn't stop until I repeated him. I felt really embarassed and was very upset. I'm sorry, but he's working at a resort where a high percentage of your clientele is English speaking. Deal with it. Don't make me out to be some ignorant person who can't be bothered to learn your language when the truth of the matter is that I just wasn't confidant enough at that point to attempt to try to speak Spanish.
* On our last full day at the resort, (Saturday) my husband and I decided to lounge by the pool and just truely relax. WRONG! The pool area was SWARMING with locals, and it seemed like a place they brought their loud, screaming children to blow off some steam. I had trouble getting a drink at the swim up bar even. It seems as though Iberostar has day packages available to the locals to come in and enjoy the amenities. I don't mind that! What I do mind is that there was not one place that Saturday we could go to enjoy the final day of our honeymoon. I was beyond aggrivated, and who needs that on their honeymoon? I'm not sure who you're trying to impress Iberostar...the locals, or the people who have spent a great deal of money and traveled far to be there? It wasn't a great way to spend the last day of our honeymoon, and I can't even say it was just children being a problem! Tourists at the resort had children, which my husband and I didn't mind! Their children were well behaved and respectful. But at any rate my husband and I will be sure to book at an adults only resort wherever we go next time.
* On the check out day, Sunwing was supposed to leave a page in their binder detailing us of our flight info. and pickup from the hotel. Sunwing failed to do so, which is not the hotels fault. However when I took the binder up to the guest relations desk for assistance, asking if we could use a telephone to call our agent, we were told there would be a fee for that. UNBELIEVABLE Iberostar. We stayed with you that whole week, paid good money to be there and you couldn't even make a local phone call on our behalf. Disgusting.

My husband and I really did have a great time, but I don't think that had much to do with the stellar performance of the hotel. Was Iberostar Del Mar a 5 star? Definately not, we're not even sure it deserves 3. Would we go back to Iberostar Del Mar? A resounding NO. And would we reccomend Iberostar Del Mar to friends or family? NEGATIVE on that too. So to management, please don't insult me further by responding with promises on what will be different for our next visit. There won't be one.

2 Thank Songbird29
Chicago
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We booked an Apple Iberostar Square Deal from September 26 through October 3 and were assigned to Del Mar. We had been to Maya two years ago, but hadn’t been to Del Mar since April 2007. The place just got better. It was even prettier than we remembered - the vegetation was so lush and the buildings were colorful and well maintained. The whole place just sparkles!

I would be remiss if I didn’t comment on the growing coati population. We have never seen this many at any one resort. A girl in our building said she had been scratched by a coati (there was a large scratch across the back of her hand). When I asked if the coati had just come after her, she admitted she had tried to pet it. I asked her why on earth she would attempt to pet a wild animal, she said she thought they had all been domesticated because they were all so friendly. I asked if she went to the doctor to see if she needed medical attention. She assured me that she was within five years of her last shot (?). I think she might have been referring to a tetanus shot and not rabies shots. She is probably lying in the bushes somewhere foaming at the mouth. There was a lady in a first floor room in building 14 who was feeding them from her balcony. Of course, she attracted a crowd. I hope they were all lounging on her bed waiting for her when she returned from dinner that night. People, the “do not feed the animals” signs are there for a reason; however, the peacocks were usually fed (by employees) on the lawn across the path from El Mercado and the trays of food would attract 50 or more coatis. The coatis came running from all directions. A pack of them would usually hang out near El Faro and several of them would jump up on the tables and the waiter stations. A few hung out near El Mercado, but I never actually saw them come inside the restaurant. The coatis were all around the pool, as well. We were always very careful when swinging our feet over the side of the lounger and never reached down blindly for our drinks. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the coatis roam the halls at night, looking for bits of food from room service trays. The coati population is getting totally out of control and something needs to be done about it. They are not afraid of people. It is just a matter of time before a child gets bit.

Our room was on the 2nd floor of building 15. We could see the pool from our balcony. The room was clean and comfortable with beds as good as what we have at home. Our building was very quiet and we only saw people in the hallway a few times. The pool at Del Mar is just about the best pool in Riviera Maya. It goes on forever and ever with islands and integrated whirlpools and lots of steps and ramps and quiet sections and sunny sections and shady sections and Balinese beds. You could meet new people at the bar or find a quiet corner somewhere to nap or read a book. We never had a problem getting loungers no matter what time we came down to the pool. A few times we set our stuff on specific loungers and then went to breakfast, but never felt guilty about “playing the towel game” because the chairs on either side of us stayed vacant all day. The pool boasts three swim-up bars but only two were in operation during the time we were there. The occupancy rate at the resort was about 40% and most mornings we were the only ones in the water. Late September is a great time to go to Mexico - the weather was hot and the water was warm and none of the restaurants were ever crowded. We used the Iberobus to go to Playa Del Carmen one day - it’s a great value at $10.00 per person round trip.

I had forgotten how great the food is at Del Mar. Every day we ate breakfast at El Mercado and it was fantastic. Every morning, we were greeted by every single employee at the cooking stations - like they were in competition to cook for us that day. In addition to all the normal things for breakfast, we also found caviar and smoked salmon and artichokes and hearts of palm and fresh hot churros. Lunch at El Faro was equally as good with plenty to choose from. One day we had freshly made ceviche (three different kinds!) on the beach. We had reservations at La Hacienda and Hashiru and Don Alfredo. The restaurants were not crowded; the food and the service were phenomenal. On the nights we didn’t have reservations, we had dinner at El Mercado and never once felt that we were “settling” for the buffet. When we booked this vacation, I was slightly concerned that most of the meals would be in restaurants that were not air conditioned. I didn’t relish the thought of sweating through a meal or swatting at mosquitos. That was never the case. The restaurants were cool and airy. I even ate hot soup a few nights. I am usually a magnet for mosquitos, but neither one of us suffered any mosquito bites.

On Monday night, my husband, a huge Chicago Bears fan, was frantic at the possibility of missing Monday night football. Not to worry - we’re at Iberostar Del Mar! He asked an employee who was carrying a walkie talkie and was told exactly where to go - there was a large screen TV in the disco which even had waitress service. Unbeknownst to him, he had asked Wendy Ortega, the Executive Assistant Manager. She asked how we were enjoying our stay and he raved about everything (rightfully so). She seemed genuinely concerned that we were having a good time. When we returned to our room that night, a bottle of wine and two wineglasses were waiting for us, along with one of Wendy’s business cards. The next day, we received an Iberostar umbrella. Nice gestures from a classy lady at a very classy resort. Every employee who works there was polite and friendly and eager to please.

I will never understand people who make only negative comments about this resort. If you didn’t have to walk a long way to get places, you would all be on top of one another and your pool wouldn’t be a half mile long. If the resort was smaller, you would hear noise from the highway or construction noise from the resort next door. If you think your drink is “watered down,” switch to beer. If you don’t like the food in the buffets, you will still not go hungry. If you don’t like the food in the ala carte restaurants, I wonder what you have for dinner at your house. I would really like to see what you eat on a regular basis.

We really and truly enjoyed our visit to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar and would never hesitate to go back.

LouieLovesMexico

13 Thank LLMex
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Dear Clients,

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our Iberostar and also for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

We feel delighted to know that you experienced improvements about our Hotel, facilities and services since your last stay in 2007.
Our main concern is to provide unique vacation to all our guests. We feel glad to know that the room location was excellent for you and your family, and that you enjoyed the pool area and the sun beds during your stay.

We have already sent all your comments to the Chef and all the staff since your comments provide us an open channel to know how our staff is providing you the service at the Hotel, we are sure they would feel great to know that every single effort they did has turned your vacation into an unforgettable experience.

We deeply appreciate all your comments and the recognition to all our staff including Mrs. Ortega, to make sure that your vacations were the most pleasant and enjoyable, this is the track we are following at Iberostar and of course we would like to welcome you back in a near future to experience again an amazing vacation with us, if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us at rpparaiso@iberostar.com.mx we would be more than glad to assist you prior your next arrival.

Kind Regards,

Quality manager
Parker, Colorado, USA
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This is a lovely resort - the grounds are constantly maintained and beautiful. Our room (1210) was located close to the pool, ocean and one of the buffet areas and the so-so balcony looked out at a jungle of trees and trimmed bushes. The staff are all outstanding and very polite and friendly. Activities are well planned and kid friendly - plus full production evening shows. There are "tranquil" areas for adults at the pool for relaxing and reading and a "free" massage under the waterfall. We never left the resort - just ocean, pool and daily gym visits to counter the "all you can eat' buffets...that were great. There are restaurants available if one tires of the buffet. We went end of Sept. and the weather was beautiful. Packs of "lemurs?" and peacocks roam the grounds. Opportunistic birds and a few stray cats hang out in the buffet areas looking for scraps. My one tip would be to buy a big can of BUG SPRAY to combat the mosquitoes thriving in the swamp areas.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 Thank elitchygordo
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your recent stay at Iberostar and the amazing comments you have shared with everyone on Trip Advisor.

Our grounds are one of our most important assets at the Hotel. We have already sent all your comments to our gardeners and the maintenance department to make sure they keep on working to present amazing landscaping.
We feel great to know that the room you had during your stay was good, well located and close to the pool, the buffets and beach, we are completely sure that all of this contributed to the joy you experienced at the Resort.

Iberostar is honored to welcome all our guests and we are proud to offer outstanding and quality service, we are happy to know that every single effort made your stay one of the best. Our staff is always happy to serve you and to offer friendly and warm service every day.

We would be amazed to welcome you back to our hotel and enjoy another great vacation with us, if this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us at rpparaiso@iberostar.com.mx

Kind Regards,

Quality manager
Ashland, Ohio, USA
Reviewed 5 October 2012

we loved this place and had so much fun i will say be prepared to walk a lot but the crew there is so much fun we went to just relax and we did but we had a ball.the service was great in the hotel rooms and the maids did a great job stocking us each day.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

4 Thank cindysgrooming
Dear guest,

we would like to thank you for such a nice review of your recent stay at our hotel, We were to glad to read that you enjoyed the friendly, warm and attentive service we provide all of our guests. It is always motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours. We hope to have the honor to welcome you back at the resort.

Iberostar Mexico.
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Let me start by saying this trip was amazing.We stayed from September 27- October 2 The Hotel itself is gorgeous. The grounds ware stunning and well maintianed. the wildlife from the flamigos,coatis,black swan (yup) a black swan the first time i have ever seen one, white swans,peacocks and yes the white peacock was awesome. Now let me just say that the peacocks have made themselves a home on the balconys in building 1800 just an FYI. So i will give a review of what i experienced. The good the good and the good as you can tell i had no bad taste left in my mouth. Iberostar was GREAT!!

Arrival :
It was around 3pm the reception desk was very pleasant they were friendly and very helpful and a nice Mimosa upon check in(yummy). The lobby is large and BEAUTIFUL! They took our bags and told us our room was ready, but before we went to our room we stopped by the Olympus rep desk to book excursions and let me tell you Bogar is the nicest rep that I have met. He was very informative although we already knew what excurisions we wanted he shed a little more light on what all the excursions would entail. I will tell you about our excursions shortly.

Room:
We were taken to our room by a golf cart(nice touch).In our room we had a welcome fruit basket which was a nice touch and unexpected also. There was towel animal on the bed (so cute) which we had a different one everyday Thanx Rosario(our maid) She kept our room tidy and well stocked everyday our room was cleaned and stocked with 4 towels and wash clothes everyday although i read reviews of not receiving towels and washclothes everyday. She also stocked our fridge every single day before 12noon. Rosario was the best maid ever never had to call her for a thing Our room was very nice despite the bad reviews of being outdated. The rooms are not outdated in my opinion they are mexican decor.We had a king bed and a huge shower no bath tub but not a prob for us. The room was very clean and cool if i might add as i have also read reviews about the A/C. The A/C was set already at 23c and that worked fine for us throughout our trip. There is also a ceiling fan that cooled the room down even more. We stayed in room 1025 oceanfront room in building 10 which is the only oceanview rooms in the resort right across from the pool and pool buffet. Sunrise from these rooms are to die for...just gorgeous!!!!!The TV was a large flat screen tv and worked fine never a problem. One thing wee learned is that the cable box is under the vanity where the tv sits so in order to change the channel you must point the remote under the vanity...lol...i read reviews where ppl say that the tv doesnt work..hahaha.

Food:
Food was not bad we found something to eat everyday. The food is all inclusive food. some people in my opinion like to complain about every little thing (for petes sake relax you are on vacation)There were things there that i would not touch in my wildest dreams as they are catering to many different cultures. The choices that we made from the paella to the whole roasted pig were DELICIOUS!! the ice cream i think i ate 5 bowls a day(not even kidding) so good. Breakfast was my fav pancakes waffles fresh fruit fresh fruit juices lots of pastries eggs made to order omlettes bacon sausage cereal should i go on. Cant comment on the beach grill as i didnt go there at all. We had 2 dinner reservations and did not have a problem getting into them either. We at the Japanese and the Steakhouse both we awesome. The Steakhouse was very accomodating I did not like my choice of steak so they prepared me a piece of salmon it was to die for...very very tasty. If you are a picky eater you can still find something to eat at the buffets. Now one thing i did not care for was the room service they were very speedy but the food was not good. But we did not let that discourage us. My suggestions are find the things you like and dont eat what you dont like and you will never go hungry.

Beach:
The beach was so lovely. The water was blue green. The sand is beautiful. We never had a problem with chairs or palapas. There are hammocks and beach beds there also.

Pool:
Did not use the pool at all but we did stroll by. It is huge it runs the whole length of the resort.

Excursions:
We went to Xplor ziplining amphibious vehicles river swimming and cave rafting was AMAZING it is a must do in Mexico..you also have included int this excursion a buffet that u can eat all all day long...it was very very good. We also went swimming with the dolphins at Dophinaris it is a must do in your lifetime.They are beautiful and lots of fun. My partner he was not a swimmer but was very comfortable in the water with them at all times. You must go!!!!

Getting to and from:
I have read reviews about not getting from here to there and the tram car not running> Dont believe it we called for a cart just about anytime that we did not feel up to walking and one was there in less than 5 mins each and everytime. Also at night we always saw them running. So feel free to call the front desk and they will send you a cart asap.

I hope that this helps out. Please do not let the bad reviews discourage you Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar is great. It is a great value with lots of friendly people the staff is wonderful.

8 Thank goodgirl925
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your favorable comments following your stay in September / October. We have shared your comments with our hotel team and we are all grateful for such feedback and very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your experience and the information you are providing may help others to choose Iberostar Paraiso del Mar & Beach for their next vacation in Mexico. Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Kind regards,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,996 reviews

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!