“Great beach,,, poor management and staff training” 3 of 5 bubbles

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Thompson, Ohio, United States
“Great beach,,, poor management and staff training”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Let me first say that my husband and I travel to this area 1-2 times a year for the last 12 years and we simply LOVE being there. This hotels beaches are some of the best that we have been on, there were always enough chairs and lots of opportunities for shade. The food was good, and always an ample selection for even picky eaters. To the other reviewers that have mentioned the food as being "just passable" or "poor", it may stand to mention that the hotel is feeding upwards of 2000 people at meal time and I would not expect to have 5 star food at an all inclusive. If you want up scale dining go to a boutique resort. The taco eatery in the Plaza is WONDERFUL!
BUT,, there were a few things that honestly let us shaking our heads at the management. First off the check in was horrible, it took nearly an hour for the sole desk clerk to check in the long line of travelers that arrived at roughly the same time. We had sent a prior request to the hotel asking for ocean view and a queen sized bed, once we arrived that request was not found, nor could they accommodate us. We were asked to please check back in 2-3 days. The ocean view would have been nice, but honestly if a married couple is traveling together isn't it assumed they would like to sleep in the same bed and shouldn't there be more rooms with 1 queen bed then 2 twins? After 2 days we did go back up to the reception desk and again were told that there were no rooms with a single bed, so we had to stay on 2 twins the entire week, it was not ideal. One of the pools is a quiet pool but that is NOT enforced so dont expect any good reading time or a nap around a pretty pool with out lots of children screaming and slasing. Also the WIFI has to be paid for, and was not working most of the time we were there. It seems to us that some of the best advertisements a hotel could get would be people posting to facebook or other social media on what a great time they were having- with no WIFI available that is impossible. Besides from what I have mentioned and the fact that one of the pools was closed or 5 of the 7 days we were there for repairs it was a nice vacation and if the discount through Apple vacations was a good value I would go again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TravelfanJ
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your visit to Mexico.

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us. It is great you highlight our beach, the Staff and the food at the different locations as the Taco Shop at the Shopping Center.

We regret to know that the maintenance of the pool was an inconvenience during your stay; we have shared your comments with our Front Desk manager so that this type of information is always provided to our guests.

Our apologies about the slow check in and the inconveniences regarding the room location and your request. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee any request prior to the arrival since it depends on the availability upon check-in. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you, we have forwarded your feedback to the management to look for a solution to this situation.

It would be a pleasure for us and for our Staff to welcome you back in the near future to our Iberostar Paraiso del Mar.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Camdenton, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I have been here since Saturday 12:00, got into our room in building 16 top floor, right after we checked in. Into the room before 1:00. First time to this resort, 2nd to an Iberostar (Quetzal).
Beautiful grounds and people who work here! These kids are hard working, good natured, fun packed, beautiful people!!!
We had a great meal this evening at the Gourmet with Jarvier!
Can't wait to report more....

Room Tip: Cost, fun, quality...people who work this resort, thank you!!! Just keep reading the reviews here...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LakerGrandDad
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us as your home away from home at the Riviera Maya!

It is our pleasure to know that your stay is going great and also you recognition of the hard work of our Staff, our grounds and our facilities.

If you need anything during your stay please do not hesitate to contact the Concierge.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I went to the Iberostar Del Mar from Nov. 30-Dec. 7 and would definitely return! There were only a few cons, and a TON of pros so I'm going to share them all!

PROS: BEAUTIFUL reception and entrance. Definitely the "Wow" factor when stepping off the bus.

Quick check in and service. Bags were brought up to the room.

Room is very clean and nice. There is a turn-down service every night where the maid leaves little chocolates and fresh flower petals in your room. Bed is soft and comfortable. Balcony.

Beautiful grounds + wildlife everywhere. Flamingos. Swans. Coati. Even cats!

Multiple buffets throughout the resort. Breakfast near the reception is SO good. There's so many different foods to pick from at every buffet, but no crustacean seafood unfortunately (shrimp,crab,etc, only fish).

Shuttle bus throughout the resort that comes frequently.

Beautiful, HUGE pool. Lots of little sitting areas, cabanas, etc.

Friendly, energetic staff.

Stunning beach. Water had lots of waves when we went, so the red flag was up, but I went in the water anyway. As long as you don't go too deep or past your limit you'll be fine.

Beach grill with hamburgers, hotdogs, chips/salsa/guac, and more.

Beach volleyball was the highlight of our trip. There are TONS of activities through the day as well. Even a mechanical bull on the beach one day!

$10 shuttlebus to Playa Del Carmen (round trip). Great value as you'd be paying way more for a taxi.

It's close to the airport so you're usually the first to be dropped off from your bus, and the last to be picked up on the way back!

Not too many kids, a good mix.

CONS: Some of these could go either way...

Resort is HUGE. There's a shuttle but sometimes it's a pain to have to go so far for something like internet. However, the grounds are absolutely stunning so I really didn't mind the walks!

No food by the pool. I was looking forward to not having to move (spoiled, I know, haha!) but there aren't any waiters or food service by the pool. You have to get up to get all your drinks and get dressed to go into the restaurant to get snacks. Plus side to this is not being lazy and also no gross food/garbage in the pool.

You have to go to the reception desk every time you want wifi. Oh well, not the biggest deal! Also, I only found out near the end of the trip that you can go to the shopping centre in the resort for free wifi...Apparently it's slow though.

Wristbands/Towel cards/Reservations: With this price point, I knew I would have to wear a wrist band and use towel cards and make reservations for dinner. At higher rated resorts like Dreams you don't have to do any of these, which is just a bit nicer. For dinner, you can reserve three guaranteed dinners per 7 days you are there. The rest you have to make at 9AM when the desk opens. It's not difficult though, I made them for every night I wanted to go. Some of the dinners were at 9PM but I didn't mind as there's plenty of buffets and snacks to have until then.

No shuttle to the airport unless you have a package (ex: sunwing) and then you have to go to an annoying information session to get the shuttle.

Nightclub in resort was pretty dead once the staff left. Good music anyway though. Next time I would go to Playa Del Carmen for nightlife.

In conclusion, I LOVED THIS RESORT! GO GO GO!

Room Tip: Our room was 1248 and it was very close to the pool and beach, but a little far from the reception...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Layne_Cat
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacations in the Riviera Maya.

It is great for us to know that your stay was good and you enjoyed our facilities, activities, restaurants and the service from our Staff. We are truly glad to know that you will recommend us and be sure that all your comments and feedback have been taken into consideration by our management.

As per the internet access, we currently offer the wireless service covering the entire complex, however the guests need to purchase the time directly at the Front desk. We apologize for the inconveniences and thank you for your comments since we use them for our improvement.

Regarding the dinner reservations, we guarantee an amount of reservations depending on the nights staying; however we have a waiting list available and last minute cancellations to offer more dinners to our guests at our specialty restaurants. We are glad to know you were able to have some extra dinner reservations through our concierge.

We are happy to know that you would return to our Hotel, if this is the case, we would be looking forward to your next visit to Riviera Maya!

Waseca, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel was nothing less than fantastic. The staff from the moment we arrived and throughout our visit were more than helpful. We were able to request a ground floor room close to the main pool and beach. We loved the beach and privacy from the public and also the Dressel dive staff was great. Food was very plentiful and room service was great for snacks. Our dinners were awesome, I would recommend reservations every night and avoid the buffet for dinner. It was okay but the restaurants were over the top great! The star friends were awesome and we could not have asked for a better getaway! Thanks! We will be back!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tracy P
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your first visit to Mexico.

It is great to receive your incredible comments regarding our services, facilities, food, rooms and our Staff. Our team always does their best to offer a fantastic service and an unforgettable stay.

It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I never write reviews but since I had such a great time I thought I would share. First, It is a big resort with lots of places to explore. Some people complain everything is too far to walk too. Try and stay in the buildings 14,15,16,or 17. Then you have equal ways to get to everything. And it never hurts to get some walking in for all the food, drinking and basically laying around you will be doing. The pool bars close at 5. You can still sit in the pool but most people go and get ready for dinner that stars at 6. Luis is the best bartender.

Second, The staff is friendly, helpful and always smiling. Housekeeping did a wonderful job keeping our room clean and stocked.

Third, The food was great. Lots to choose from and remember your in Mexico so not everything is going to taste what you might be use too. The Japanese and Steakhouse restaurants are awesome. I Make sure to get a reservation for them the day your arrive. Try and get them for every other day so you can change things up.

Finally, The entertainment team is outstanding at Del MAR. They are fun and full of excitement each and every day. They had pool and beach games for all ages. I have been to Mexico three other times and Seriously, I have never laughed so much in my life with the things they were putting on. They work many hours to keep the entertainment going, even at the nightly shows. Even though it is an all-inclusive, Tip your servers and housekeeping. They certainly deserve it. Remember your trip is what you make of it. Be Happy, relax and enjoy what they have to offer. I will be going back to Del Mar.

Room Tip: We were in buliding 17 and it was perfect. You had equals ways to walk to the pools, beach and food.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank sportylyn
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations.

We are truly glad to know that you had an amazing time with us and enjoyed the service of our Staff. We will show all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention, as your compliments are very motivational.

Our Staff is committed to always offer the best service and the most amazing experiences to our guests, your comments and feedback are our best tools for our improvement.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future so that you can enjoy again our paradisiacal environment.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

First off I travel a lot. Been to many many all inclusives. So I was excited to try a new one. We get there everything is fine. Room is very nice. I go to the hotel lobby to inquire about internet at about 3pm. The front desk concierge tells me it was out and would be on by 5pm. Although I am on vacation I still have a need to check my emails because of business. I got there on a Wednesday, the internet didn't come on til Friday night. I was very frustrated with this. On Thursday I go to the front desk to complain because I was forced to use cellular data to handle my business. Anyone who has a cell phone knows the costs for this can be very expensive. He forwards me to the concierge in the office. I go and talk to him about how upset I am about this. I was up to about $150 in data charges up to this point. He tells me there's nothing I can do and i basically have to deal with it. I asked him if I could use some type of internet on the grounds so I didn't have to keep running up my data. He told me no (all the while clicking away at his computer barely looking at me). I told him If I had known it was going to be an issue I would've never came to the resort. He was so rude from there on. In a mocking tone he tells me that he is so sorry I based my vacation on the fact that the resort had wifi. I ask him for someone else to talk to cuz at this point I'm in tears I'm so upset. He then gives me a card of someone I can not talk to, but email my complaint. (Using my data I assume) I asked him if the person on the card would be able to help me with my complaint. He tells me no. I asked why he gave me the card. He tells me cuz I asked for someone else to talk to. I was so upset. He gave me such a snide attitude. I have years of experience as a call center manager. I would be appalled if any of my employees spoke to a customer the way he spoke to me. I let it go and walked off straight to the bar to get a drink and calm down. I told my husband and a few people by the bar and they were in shock.

Other than this honestly if you are looking for the friendly attitude that you normally get at resorts you won't get it here. Maybe other resorts have spoiled me. You won't get the unlimited smiles from people who work here. It almost seems like sometimes they are making fun of you. Of course some of the employees were exceptional, but all in all not a feel good place.

Food was not good at all. Barely any variety. Everyday was almost the same thing. Burgers made mass produced (not good quality). Cheese slices given to you still in the wrapper. Barely any Mexican food variety. Not what I would expect from a resort in Mexico. I felt like I was at a baseball game, although food is a bit better at baseball fields.

There are barely any golf carts. It's very easy to get lost on this resort. When you are lost it's hard to ask for directions cuz a lot of employees do not speak English. Even when u call the front desk you may not always get a English speaking rep answering the phone. It's very big and maps are barely understandable.

I plan to complain to Apple vacations and iberostar corporate. I left with a blah feeling (which I have never had before at a resort) with a almost $300 data bill (for what was supposed to be a quick cheap getaway). For that added cost I could've gone to a much better resort.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Sue9luc
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our Iberostar.

We truly appreciate you took the time to share your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor since provides us with useful information we can work on.

As per your comments, we regret to know that you experienced this situation during your stay since our main goal, and that of our employees, is the complete satisfaction of our guests. We have already forwarded your feedback to the management since this is not typical and we are concerned about that behavior.

We truly apologize for the inconveniences you suffered due to the lack of wifi service. Unfortunately the internet provider was experiencing issues with the signal to the Hotel.

Our Executive Chef is already aware of your comments and feedback regarding the food at the Specialty Restaurants and the Buffets. Your feedback will be taken into account for their improvement.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future so that you can receive the truly excellent service you deserve.

Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Second time to this resort and had a great vacation again. All
staff friendly and made our stay a memorable one. Beautiful grounds,pool and beach area. Great food...only disappointment was pasta dishes at Italian restaurants..but otherwise no complaints. Love the walk through the grounds in the evening, and never had a wait longer than a few minutes for the shuttle when returning to room. Thanks for a wonderful week..

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lindsey H
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your lovely comments about our staff, our grounds and facilities.

We have forwarded your comments to our Staff and the people in charge of every department to congratulate them for their efforts and hard work. The Chef is already aware of your feedback on the Italian restaurant in order to keep improving for our guests.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future for another unforgettable vacation at our facilities and be sure that our staff is already looking forward to your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,904 reviews

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!