“Great vacation!!”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I and our 4 adult children stayed at this resort from May 8 - 15, 2014. It was a wonderful experience. We were impressed with how the natural habitat of the area was kept, with walkways through lovely forests. Everything was very well-kept and clean! There was lots of shade, and the snack bar on the beach was perfect for lunch! My husband and I go to a resort in the Caribbean at least once a year, and we would definitely go back there.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Larry D
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff of IBEROSTAR we would like to thank you for your recent stay.

We are more than glad to know that your vacation on our Hotel was enjoyable and you were impressed by our natural environment and how the grounds were kept.

It is satisfactory the fact that you are already considering us for your next visit to the Caribbean. We will be looking forward for your stay!

IBEROSTAR Mexico.

There are newer reviews for IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This resort is very beautiful and it is very big. There is numerous wildlife roaming the grounds and the paths are cut right through the jungle. The food was great and there was something for everyone. The pools and entertainment were excellent. The only thing I would change about our trip would be make the rooms larger and have air conditioning that worked better. It was our sons first trip out of the country and he loved every minute of it. I would definetly return to this resort.

Room Tip: We were in building 1500 and it was in the middle of everything and right next to one of the pools.
4  Thank Robert R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations.

We appreciate your nice review and the time you took to share it with us. We are happy that you highlighted our resort’s wildlife, grounds and our food.

It is great to know that everything was astounding during your stay and you enjoyed a fantastic vacation with us.

We are glad to know that you will definitely return and we sincerely hope to have the chance to welcome you one more time.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was our 4th trip to Mexico and our 2nd time to the Iberostar complex. First time in August 2009 we were upgraded to the Lindo due to low occupancy levels in the complex, but this time we actually were able to stay at the del Mar. Actual stay was 10-17 May 2014. This resort is absolutely beautiful. Huge property with lots of walking, as previously mentioned in other reviews. Also, one of the largest pools I've ever encountered.

The following are tips for future travelers.

1. If you're a repeat visitor to this complex, mention it to the front desk and they will deliver complementary T-Shirts and a bottle of wine to your room during your stay.
2. Buildings 17-20 are near the lobby/restaurants and can be very noisy at night if you're trying to sleep before 11:00 pm.
3. Buildings 14-15 are middle of property, which is equal distance to either the beach or the lobby/restaurants and across from the pool.
4. Building 10 is on the beach, but you may have to pay extra to stay there. I believe a previous review stated it was $100 per person per week.
5. Buildings 11-12 are very close to the beach and next to the pool and the outdoor beach restaurant. These are the quietest at night and my preferred location.
6. For those that find the walk difficult or tiring, you should call guest services to send a bell boy/golf cart to pick you up on the back path, behind the buildings. To save on distance if you're walking, you can walk the back path (straighter path than the long winding paths in front of the buildings) or you can walk through buildings 18 to 12 and then the front path the rest of the way.
7. Each building is 3 floors with no elevator. If you can't walk stairs, then you'll need a room on the first floor.
8. A shopping center is on the property and a trolley car/shuttle runs every 15-20 minutes from the lobby or you can walk. Included in your all-inclusive package are a burger place, a taco place, and an ice cream/crepe place at the shopping center.
9. The reservation desk located in the lobby for making reservations can be very frustrating, as the process is slow and lines can start backing up. However, you can also make dining reservations through the concierge by calling from your room's phone. Three reservations are allowed for a 7 night stay, but you can check back between 4-6 pm to see if they have any openings for same day dining. For a 7 night stay, we were able to get reservations every night except our arrival day. We found the Gourmet to be excellent - tenderloin steak and lobster. My daughter told me they had Lobster, Steak, and Shrimp at the Mediterranean, but I wasn't able to get a reservation there.
10. My boyfriend and I had excellent service in all the restaurants and buffets, but my daughter and her boyfriend had the exact opposite experience. Every time they got up from their table to get additional food, the servers cleared their table. They also found the servers were inattentive at the buffet, so most of the time they had to get their own drinks. My boyfriend engaged the servers in conversation, attempting to speak the language, and was sure to personally hand a tip to them as opposed to leaving the tip on the table, so this may have made the difference between our service and my daughter's experience. We also had brought insulated drinking cups from home that were left on the table while we got our food, so there was always a reminder to the staff that someone was still sitting at the table. This is just a suggestion so you don't have a bad experience with the servers.
P.S. Our tips weren't extreme. We left between $1-$2 each meal depending on the service at the buffets and $5 for each specialty restaurant because approx a 10% tip is already included in the all-inclusive package deal.
11. If you're bed is too hard, call the front desk and ask for a pillow topper.
12. The A/C throughout the resort is set on 21 Celsius (69.8 F). If you find this too warm for sleeping, call guest services and ask them to drop your room's A/C to 18 Celsius (64.4 F), which is the lowest available. This can be done remotely through their computer within 30 minutes.
13. You do not need a sweater or jacket to wear in the specialty restaurants because the A/C is comfortable, not frigid, as I've experienced at other resorts.
14. The buffet seating is outside, but located undercover with ceiling fans, so the temperature is comfortable and atmosphere is very relaxing.
Health Tip: Don't get up and leave a plate of food on your table that you're planning to return and eat, because birds will swoop down to pick at it and the Coaties may also jump up on the table and pick at this food.
15. Suggestion for restocking your mini fridge. We left a note for housekeeping with an empty bottle of water, beer, or empty soda can, etc and wrote the number of how many of each we wanted under each empty bottle/can displayed. We also left a $2-$3 tip with this note and always received exactly what we requested. Absolutely no problems were incurred with housekeeping or restocking our fridge.
16. For those who love iced tea, the lobby bar has a pitcher of unsweetened iced tea, you need only to ask. Sugar packets are available on the bar counter. You can also ask for sweet or unsweet tea from the specialty restaurants. As for the buffets, I took my insulated mug and filled it with hot water and tea bags. Then later, I added ice.
17. There are lots of Pallapas for shade on the beach and at the pool. This resort had more than I've ever seen at any other resort in Mexico, Punta Cana, or Jamaica. However, on extremely hot sunny days, you may want to get one before 10 am. Most other times, we never had a problem even after this time.
18. The pool is so large that you might want to purchase a flotation device prior to arrival. Floats are also available at the resort for US $17.00.

Overall, we had a very nice, relaxing week. I will certainly return to the del Mar or Lindo in the future.

17  Thank conoff2000
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar for your vacations.

We are more than happy to know that once again you have chosen IBEROSTAR for your recent stay in Mexico. It is great to know that you enjoyed your vacation and our entire Resort, as our activities, restaurants, bars and the Shopping Center.

Your opinion and feedback are really important for us and other travelers, your tips are very welcome and we do appreciate you took the time to share them with all of us. Our Staff will be glad to know that their efforts made your stay unforgettable.

We are happy that you are already thinking of coming back again and sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again another IBEROSTAR vacation.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is me and my girlfriends first trip to an all-inclusive and I must say, I am very impressed. I'll start out with the positives. We just got back today and had a direct flight through Apple Vacations which was very nice. Our rooms were excellent, the shower was one of those walk-in types which was beautiful. The housekeeping kept everything very tidy every day while we were out and about and the fridge was always stocked. We even left a note requesting them to take the coca-cola out and leave us only beer and water, which they did. The service around the resort was outstanding, every employee was extremely helpful and genuinely seemed to want to help you any way they could. They said that we only were to receive 3 ala carte dinners, which we made reservations for, but the nights that we didn't have reservations for, we simply went to one of the restaurants that we wanted to try and asked if they had any cancellations. We ended up eating at the restaurants each night. Our favorites were the Steakhouse, Brazilian, and Gourmet, but you really can't go wrong with any of them, they were all fantastic. The chef at the Hibachi was the most talented chef I've ever seen, and I've been to plenty of Hibachi at home, I just didn't think the quality of the meat was that great there, but the show was excellent. The pool was huge, the beach was beautiful and sandy (I brought water shoes afraid of a rocky beach, but didn't use them once). You can snorkel right off shore by the old pier that goes off the beach. The drinks at the lobby bar were by far the best at the resort, I definitely recommend going there for premium liquors. We didn't make it to the "clubs" at night at the shopping center area, so I can't comment on how the night life is there.

Now on to the few minor things that I would say could use some improvement, but they are by no means deal-breakers. The drinks at the lobby bar were excellent, but everywhere else, they left something to be desired. I don't think that the mix they use is is very good, but this is of no fault of the staff. They work very hard to make you anything you ask for. Second, was that when we first got to our room, our air conditioning wouldn't get very cold, our mini-fridge wouldn't get that cold, and our ceiling fan would turn off in the middle of the night. We told the front desk and they sent someone right away to replace our fridge, program the thermostat down, and fix our fan. Kudos to Iberostar for promptly addressing these issues for us. The food at the buffet's was average at best. I found myself eating an omelet each morning and picking at a few things for lunch, but the excellent dinners at the ala carte restaurants made us look past this. Each night, I was absolutely stuffed by the end of dinner.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort. For the price, we were very happy with what we got. I'm already looking forward to our next trip to Iberostar.

Room Tip: We were in room 1847. The buildings are 10-20 and we were building 18. The lower the building #, t...
3  Thank RStock521

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff of IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent vacations.

We are glad to receive reviews like yours since it provides us an important motivational tool for our Staff. It is great you highlighted the service provided by the Staff, the accommodations, facilities and services offered along the Resort.

We thank you for your feedback regarding the drinks and food at the bars and restaurants. We always take in consideration all our guests’ comments to maintain our high quality standards.

It is great to know that you are already looking forward for your next stay at IBEROSTAR and we sincerely hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We went to Mexico to celebrate my husband's big 50 birthday. We have a 12 year old and 20 year old. We all had a great time! This was my kid's 1st time in a warm ocean! They absolutely loved it! The ocean water was warm, but just a little rocky. There are certain spots that have rocks and others that do not. It was very windy the 1st 5 days with 5 foot waves. It was so much fun! Then it calmed way down with no waves. The pool was awesome! At least 85 degrees. The Staff was awesome and could not do enough for you! :) the drinks were great and just a really short time to get one. The buffet and specialty restaurants were great! They have lots of stuff to do at the pool with pool games, dancing lessons, etc. It is a big resort, however, we never needed to take the train. It's only a 10 minute walk to the beach and nice to walk off all the food and drinks.

2  Thank VacationPlanner2

Dear guest,

We are glad for being your host at your recent vacations in Mexico.

It is a pleasure for us to know that your stay was great and that you celebrated with us a special occasion as your husband’s birthday. We are happy to know that you found the areas, beach and pools very nice and fun, our Staff works hard every day to keep them neat for our guests.

We love to know that our Staff was awesome and they did everything to make sure you enjoyed your stay with your family. We are sure that our Staff is already looking forward to your next visit to Mexico!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I travelled with a girl friend and we felt very safe during our week-long stay in Mexico. The staff was very friendly and anxious to help or assist with anything. We left the resort for one excursion to the Ceynotes, and other than that, stayed at the resort for the entire trip. The beach was very nice on the days it was less windy. We were able to swim and there is a large sandy area along the shoreline. The swimming pool was very large and divided into many smaller connecting areas. We could always find a chair very easily without having to get up before daylight to reserve one (both at the beach and the pool). Theme restaurants were great. Buffet was average, but you could always find something to eat with the huge variety of foods available. Would recommend this resort to others without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 629darlenew

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent vacations.

We appreciate that you take the time to share you nice comments and excellent review with us and other travelers. It is nice to know that the efforts of our Staff and their will to assist our guests made your vacations an unforgettable experience and you enjoyed an amazing time at the premises, beach and pools.

We are thankful for your feedback regarding the specialty restaurants and buffets, we always take them in consideration to continue giving our best to satisfy our clients.

It is great to know that you would recommend our Hotel to others; and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was our first experience with Iberostar and probably our last visit to Del mar. For a few hundred dollars more a person you can stay at the Lindo which "looks" like a far better bang for your buck.
The rooms are nice for the amount of time you spend in them. The a/c wasn't working properly and after several calls, then turned it down a measly 3 degrees for us. The drinks are awful and no one can seem to make a good bahama mama there! I had 2 delicious ones at the theatre bar, and that was it for our entire trip! And im not that fussy. They use below average brands of alcohol and its terrible!! We have never stayed anywhere with such an open air-ness to it. We love the heat and sun which is why we go to the Mayan in May, but we've never stayed anywhere where there was no a/c in the main buffet's. Lots of animals....cats, birds, coati's...which we again don't mind sharing and eating with them around us. Even the a la carts were warm inside. You can't even get a drink while you wait for your table to be ready at the a la carts. there's a bar at all of them, but its empty. At every single one we went to, once we were done eating dessert, buddy didn't even come back to clear our table or see how it was. awful awful service for the a la carts. everyone raves about the japanese, but i thought it was average. buddy booking our a la carts for us did give us another a la cart as we were only allowed 3, and he gave us 4. he kept trying to push the mexican on us, we decided against it and wanted the mediterranean for our last nite there. we checked our stub (thankfully) before heading out for supper and he booked us at the mexican instead!......CHECK YOUR A LA CARTE SLIPS!!
we spilt coffee on our first morning in our room and by the 7th day, that spill was still on the marble floor. our bar fridge was stocked everyday, with the exception for 1 day, they didn't give us water.....i tipped them everyday.
we generally stay at Barcelo and figured this iberostar would be just as good....next year its barcelo all the way for us!

2  Thank rhonda k
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations in Mexico.

We appreciate you took the time to share your comments with us regarding your stay. Please know that all of our guests’ comments are very important for us as they help us to identify areas of improvement and to work according to our guests’ needs and desires.

We regret to know that your experience was not as expected. We would like to inform you that due to an ecological program we set the room temperature at 21 degrees, however whenever requested this temperature can be modified. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused.

Our Food & Beverage Manager is now aware of your feedback regarding the drinks in the different bars of the Hotel. Rest assured that we will look into this to ensure our standards are met in every area.

We will continue working hard to provide the excellent service that has always characterized IBEROSTAR brand.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!