“A few hiccups, but overall great experience”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I spent 5 nights at this resort. The grounds are immaculate, very lush property with tons of wildlife walking around (peacocks, even an albino peacock, flamingos, coatis, macaws, swans, turtles etc), which I loved. It is a large property so if you stay in rooms near the lobby it could be quite a walk to the pool/beach. The staff are very friendly, and the rooms and bathrooms are kept very clean. Our toilet leaked a bit, but we never told the hotel as it wasn't a big problem, we just threw a towel down daily and it was fine.

We liked the buffet and the a la cartes - lots of selection, good desserts and great service. I would recommend making reservations as soon as you arrive as they fill up quickly.

The plaza paraiso mall is great. Very close to the lobby, we loved the taco place and the crepes place is alright too. They have some great shops and the wifi is excellent here and most importantly, FREE. They also have performances here some nights - we happened upon a mayan dance which was interesting.

Some points I'd like to note:
- Hard to flag down shuttles. Often we would try to flag shuttles down, and they would either keep on going or motion in the opposite direction. Often there were not shuttles stationed in front of the hotel. On our last day, we called to schedule a shuttle in the morning, and it did not show up on time, so I called again to remind them about the booking. When the shuttle finally showed up, it only had a baggage cart in the back and no seating for us, so we walked to the lobby and our bags were driven there, a bit odd.
- When we arrived in the morning, we had to wait a few hours to get our rooms, so I asked where the luggage room was. The staff said I could leave my bag with the bellboys up front, I said 'are you sure there is no luggage room?' and they said yes. I was a bit concerned leaving my bags out in the open, especially because I didn't see a bellboy permanently stationed up front. On the day I left, my sunwing rep told me I could check out and leave my bags in the luggage room. Turns out there IS a luggage room, but when I checked in, the hotel staff never told me about the luggage room.
- Also when I checked in, it would have been nice if the staff told me where the buffet was so I could go grab something to eat. I feel like when we were checked in, no one told us what to do with our luggage or where we could eat. We were just given a brochure, our wristbands and room cards, and left to our own devices. At other resorts I have been to, the check-in staff have pointed me towards where I can leave bags, eat, get a drink etc.
- We got used to eating breakfast at the beach grill, which opens at 7 a.m. On our last day, we showed up at 7 a.m. as per usual, however it was closed. No signs were posted saying why it was closed, they just had the closed signs up. The beach grill is very far from the breakfast buffet in the main building, so I wish they had put up some kind of notice in the lobby or somewhere explaining that the beach grill would be closed on this day so we wouldn't have walked so far.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank thatgirlyouknow
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar for your vacations in Mexico.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us and other travelers. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the grounds, the wildlife and the entire atmosphere around the natural environment.

Thank you for your remarks about the food, the different restaurants available and the service from the staff. We regret that you found some issues with the transportation and the information given by the bell boys and at the Front Desk, we will share your feedback with the Front Desk manager to verify what happened and also to make sure we reinforce training sessions to avoid these issues in the future.

We hope to have the chance once again to welcome you back and enjoy another IBEROSTAR experience.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (4,844)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Great beach, great hotel, nice services. However, I was disappointed with their taxi service. One of their driver wanted to let us a the wrong destination and lied to us.
Also, we got the information from travel agency that we had snorkeling material available for free. So, I didn’t took mine. Now, when you are on the place, the diving club only let it to you for one hour and then they will charge you.
For the rest, I recommend the place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick19791234
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff of IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations.

It is great to know that you had an amazing stay, that you enjoyed the beach, services we offer at the Hotel, and the Staffs’ will to serve. We regret to know that you experienced issues with the taxi service; we will inform them your feedback to verify this situation.

As per the snorkel, we offer at the Hotel this service without a charge for one hour per day, we apologize you did not receive this information from your travel agency.

We sincerely hope to have the chance to welcome you back and restore your confidence in IBEROSTAR.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

very good people, Maria Polinar the lady who cleaned our Room every days she was fantastic, can't ask for more.

Maria the girl who was sometimes working serving at the dinning area, chef gustabo, and Pedro at the Brazilian Restaurant, Luciana who is one the best in the public Relations DEPT. and many more people that we had the good fortune to meet.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sam V
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the Staff & Management of our IBEROSTAR we would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent vacations.

We are more than glad to know that your experience was great and enjoyable. Our Staff will be truly honored by reading your nice review and this will motivate all of them to offer the same amazing service and achieve our main goal, the complete satisfaction of our guests.

We sincerely hope we have the chance to welcome you again and make sure you have another unforgettable vacation.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Fantastic beach with very clear water so no problem seeing rocks on the bottom when swimming. Friendly and helpful staff everywhere in the resort. Buffet food is what you would expect, so don't be too particular and you should be able to find something that works for you. Tip: Make dinner reservations at specialty restaurants on your arrival day because they are very good. Brazilian, Italian and Japanese were our favorite.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna B

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent vacations and for sharing your experience with us.

It is gratifying to know that our service, Staff, grounds, facilities and the entire Resort made your vacations an unforgettable experience. Our Staff will be truly happy to welcome you back again and enjoy once more our service.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was concerned about staying at this property after I read a fair amount of negative reviews. After spending 6 days I am not sure if those people stayed the same place we did!

The resort was great, the buffet food isn't going to change your life but for a buffet it was good. The key to victory is to make your dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants as soon as you arrive. Slip the person a $20 at the desk and see if you can get a few extra reservations.

Do not miss the tacos place it is hiding in the shops - this place is great for lunch or snack.

The grounds are well kept, the rooms are fine - keep in mind it is not the 4 seasons. Room service was great.

Lionel at the beach bar is simply awesome.

Internet in the room was a little pricey if you do require it.

Tips go a long ways at the bars and a $20 bill on the fist day will ensure you are taken care of real well.

We played golf at the onsite course - It was well worth the cost - great course!

The place is massive- you can walk or get a shuttle, pools, and bars are closer to the beach - Lobby, restaurants and shops are closer to the lobby.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank tejonsperr

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay at IBEROSTAR and also for sharing your nice review with us and other travelers. It is great to know that our service, facilities, food, quality and Staff were up to your satisfaction.

It is a pleasure for us to know that everything was great and enjoyable. We will keep our efforts to make sure our guests experience the same service form our Staff.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were traveling mother and daughter and it was great, nice activities, nice pool, awesome beach! we will officially return. food was good. we had a nice welcome cocktail and staff is really nice. alot to do in mexico

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank France B
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent vacations.

Our Staff will be honored to know that their efforts made your stay unforgettable and very enjoyable. Receiving reviews like yours makes us feel like we are going on the right path to excellence and we are truly thankful you took the time for sharing it.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back and pamper you in the near future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I and our 4 adult children stayed at this resort from May 8 - 15, 2014. It was a wonderful experience. We were impressed with how the natural habitat of the area was kept, with walkways through lovely forests. Everything was very well-kept and clean! There was lots of shade, and the snack bar on the beach was perfect for lunch! My husband and I go to a resort in the Caribbean at least once a year, and we would definitely go back there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Larry D

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff of IBEROSTAR we would like to thank you for your recent stay.

We are more than glad to know that your vacation on our Hotel was enjoyable and you were impressed by our natural environment and how the grounds were kept.

It is satisfactory the fact that you are already considering us for your next visit to the Caribbean. We will be looking forward for your stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#50 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!