“Stay away!! Don't believe their pics!!!”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful vacation and that had nothing to do with this resort!!
The place needs serious cleaning! The bathrooms and balcony should be soaked in bleach and disinfectant. They were filthy dirty.

Their swimming pool is the worst part. The water was sticky, slimy and HOT!!! The water is full of human hair floating and the bottom and sides/walls of the pool are covered in slime! (Yuck)

They must get their buffet restaurants and seating areas air conditioned. How can they justify their 'speciality restaurants' NOT air conditioned??? Their steak house restaurant and the Italian restaurant both don't have AC. It was hot humid, mosquito loaded and impossible for normal people to sit and enjoy their dinner in the closed shack without an AC, with BBQ pit cooking your steak - the temperature rising 15 deg F more than outside!!

Management was terrible. They either had no clue on the events of the hotel (like the 'train' had broke down the day we checked in and yet upon checking in we were told to wait for this train at its stop!!! Until 30 mins later a passer by educated us!)

Try some other all-inclusive. This isn't worth it!!!!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Serious_Foody
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear client,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our resort.

We appreciate you took the time to share your review with us since it provides us a tool to improve our service. We regret to know that your stay was not as expected.

As per the cleaning of the room, the Housekeeping department has a cleaning program that includes the balcony and terrace. In case a guest needs extra cleaning, our staff is always willing to look into it and offer you a solution. We will send your feedback to our Housekeeping Department for them to look into it.

Regarding our pools, our Maintenance department has an exhaustive cleaning program that includes periodical checks of the chemical parameters, and deep cleaning at the end of the day that includes chemicals and brushing of floors and walls. Our weather this year has been extremely hot so the pools' water temperature is the result of that.

We have several areas that have air conditioner, including the 5 specialty restaurants at the main lobbies, bars and also the shopping center shops and bars. We regret to know that you experienced uncomfortable heat in our property.

Once again, we truly regret the issues that you encountered. We appreciate that you shared them with us. Your comments are important to us since they provide information for us to work on.

We hope you enjoy your future travels and reconsider revisiting our chain.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (4,927)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My family just returned from a week at this property. 2 adults and 2 kids, ages 15 and 13. We had a blast. No one wanted to come home!

This was our 5th trip to Riviera Maya and 2nd time staying at the Iberostar. What's best about the Iberostar compared to others is 2 things: the staff and the activities. The staff, from the housekeepers, to waiters, bartenders and the entertainment crew, work extremely hard to make their guests happy. Everyone is very friendly. Regarding the activities, if you are active and want to do more than just lounge by the beach or by the pool (which is fine by me!!!), this is the place for you. There are dozens of organized sports and other activities per day. You will not be bored.

The food is fine, not great. The rooms are nice, not great. Blah blah blah. If you go you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay between beach and lobby.
1  Thank galici
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and other travelers your opinion about your stay at our IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar.

It is great to read that you had a fabulous vacation with your family, enjoying and having fun with all our activities at the pool and beach.

It is our delight to deliver paradisiacal and unforgettable vacations; we feel pleased to know that our staff participated to make you happy during your stay.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Huge! It's like a small town with its own gym, plaza, church, restaurants, commercial center, large beautiful pools, gorgeous CENOTE and of course an amazing beach! Rooms are ok everything works just fine but they are outdated, very helpful and friendly service everywhere and yes they get very busy, Spring breakers were annoying as usual :( food was great but they had NO natural fruit juices. I really liked the cenote and was surprised by a bell that I saw underwater below the platform!Beautiful flora and fauna but it's SAD and DISAPPOINTING when people don't understand the DO NOT feed the animals and start to feed the coatis and iguanas unhealthy food like fries :( The beach oh the beach is gorgeous, lots of fun in the waves, clear beautiful water just perfect! We would go back if a cheaper vacation package is found by our agent...!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management and the staff of IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for your recent stay and for your review.

We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the beach, our pools and cenotes.

We appreciate your words about our wildlife and the actions that we take; we thank you for respecting and highlighting this matter. We work incessantly to preserve and take care of our fauna and flora.

Once again, thank you for your important feedback. We hope that you will give us the chance to serve you again at our IBEROSTAR.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Not having been to Mexico before, nor an all inclusive resort, I did not know what to expect. Iberostar Paraiso del Mar exceeded any reservations I had. The first thing that I noticed was how incredibly friendly every last one of the staff members are. They work hard 24/7 to make your stay perfect. The resort is immaculate; every inch is clean and inviting. I was also very pleased at how family friendly it was. Our kiddos were able to perch themselves on the swim up bar stools and order their fav (non-alcoholic of course) drinks til their hearts were content and it was never an issue. I'd like to give a shout out to one of the BEST concierge staff there; Isreal!! He was beyond helpful and friendly! Class act! We will most def be going back to the Paraiso del Mar! The only thing I think they could improve on would be the wifi. You have to pay $40 for a weeks worth (even just to connect in the lobby), which really isn't bad, but today most places have free.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie M

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation and thank you for taking the time to share with us your important review about how wonderful your vacation was.

It drives us to keep improving to hear about your wonderful experience at the resort. We truly appreciate your mention about our staff, and that they offered an outstanding service, especially Israel. This comment has been passed onto him; it will certainly make him happy.

We will be pleased to have the opportunity to host you once again and offer you another memorable vacation.

Best regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We just returned from a six-night stay at the "Ibero Mar." I'm a single female and I stayed there with my 15-year-old son. We both enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and want to go back.

Here's what was great:
- The beach and pool. We spent plenty of time at both, and the space available and amenities at each are very good. There are buffets and bars handy, lots of lounge chairs (although shady ones at the beach are hard to find), restrooms, and activities throughout the day.
- The buffets. I'm sure there's fancier food at the more expensive Iberostar properties, but we were very pleased with the selections available, even when we ate at weird times. Also, we ate and drank everything (including water, ice, and fresh fruits/veggies) and never had any stomach trouble.
- The restaurants. We ate at the Mexican and Japanese specialty restaurants and liked both, although we enjoyed the Japanese one more. Next time would like to try the Mediterranean and/or "gourmet" restaurants.
- The grounds. Very pretty and immaculately kept - I never saw litter.
- The Star Friends, activities, and nightly entertainment.

What I'd do differently next time:
- Follow others' recommendations and email ahead to request a room in the 13, 14, or 15 buildings. We were in 18 and although it was a shorter walk to the lobby, it would have been nicer to be more in the middle and closer to the pool.

I only have two negative comments. First, it would be nice if there were designated smoking areas. There's no smoking in any restaurants/buffets, but other than that, there were smokers everywhere, on the walkways, at the beach and pool, etc. Second, our housekeeper was great but the floor never seemed to be very clean. If you walked around the room barefoot, you ended up with quite a bit of dirt/sand/whatever stuck to your feet.

Oh, it would also be nice if they put a little more effort into the teen program. The teen disco (according to my son) was usually mostly empty. It'd be nice if there were teen activities during the day, so the kids could mingle more.

Overall, as I said, really nice and I wish I were back there right now!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
3  Thank ven8zia1
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management of IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacation.

We appreciate your spectacular comments about the pool, beach and restaurants. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the Mexican & Japanese restaurants. Comments like yours push us to keep improving ourselves and work hard for our guests.

We are grateful about your suggestions. We always use our guests' feedback when making operational decisions so yours will be included.

We are thrilled to know you would like to return. We will be very pleased to host you once again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family of 5 just returned from 6 nights at the Paraiso del Mar. We have two teenage boys (15 & 17) and a 10 yo daughter. We had adjoining rooms. I thought an all-inclusive would give everyone something to do, and the boys some freedom with the security of a resort. It turned out to be everything we all expected. The pool is gorgeous, the Star Friends entertainment staff is so fun and has to be the hardest working team in resort entertainment. They keep everything lively and fun. The food was good. We had reservations at the Brazilian restaurant (lots of meat!), the Mexican restaurant (pretty good), and the Japanese restaurant (the highlight of our dining!). The buffets had something for everyone and it was convenient to be able to eat when you wanted on the nights when we didn't have reservations. The kids played beach soccer and the silly pool games. I did water aerobics, and pool-side ceramics painting with two of my kids. It was cool to make your own souvenirs, and the artisans go back over the lines so that the pieces look professional. My boys met kids from France, Canada, Germany, Mexico, Spain, etc. They hung out at the teen disco at night and converged on the beach with other teenagers. We stayed on property the whole time this trip and never felt bored. There was lots going on on the beach -- games, lots of chairs, snack bar, etc. The water was clear and swimmable -- the only thing I wasn't crazy about was all the seaweed on the beach but it is a natural occurrence. It didn't phase my husband. When we go back, we'll go down to Playa del Carmen and maybe Tulum to break it up a little.

A couple things to keep in mind... as many have said, there is a lot of walking. We were in building 12 which was steps to the pool and close to the snack bar and beach, but further from the lobby where the better restaurants are. I didn't mind the walk because after all the food, I was happy for the exercise. They do run golf cart shuttles between the beach and lobby and they'll stop for you if you're walking, but they don't run every 5 minutes so you might be waiting. We were able to walk through the other higher resorts -- the Lindo & Mayan, and the Grand. The pool at the Lindo/Mayan has a lazy river and a wave pool, but honestly, I thought our pool seemed funner. The Grand is subdued to the point of seeming boring to me, but if you didn't have kids with you, it might be preferable. You can't dine at the other resorts if you are at the lowest level Playa/del Mar resorts, but I thought it was absolutely fine. The room had everything we needed -- beautifully decorated, comfortable bed (but really hard pillows -- bring your own!), nice bath, stocked mini-bar, nice balcony. Also, the shopping center is a fun place to check out -- they have a coffee shop, taco place, burger place, and ice cream/crepes place that's all included with your dining plan. They have nice souvenir shops and a spa there also. I had a pool-side massage and was able to use the water areas of the spa for free and it was really beautiful and relaxing!

Shouts out to David and Ricky on the Star Friends team, and Marco on the bell staff. The staff is excellente and make the resort what it is!! Overall, we LOVED it and will go back. It really is the perfect family vacation.

Room Tip: We were in building 12 on the ground floor. I requested 12, 13 or 14 to be near the pool and they ac...
4  Thank Terry M

Distinguished guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, and for your taking the time to write about your wonderful experience at our resort.

We feel proud to know that you were happy with the service, and that this vacation fulfilled your expectations. Thank you for your positive comments about the pool, the food, rooms and our specialty restaurants. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the food at the Brazilian, Japanese & Mexican Restaurants.

We would also like to extend our gratitude for your special mention of our Star Friends and their hard work. We will forward your lovely words to David, Ricky and Marco, we are sure that they will be thrilled to learn that another guest left so satisfied.

We look forward to seeing you again in our hotel and offer you another unforgettable family vacation.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

By far an amazing all round value for money resort! We came for a 2 week holiday on June 15th 2014, this was the first time myself and my husband have been to an Iberostar resort and can say we were very very impressed! The rooms were clean, bed size plentiful and we were impressed that the fridge was all inclusive, although we could have done with a few more bottles of Dos Equis! Ha ha! The only downside was how the hotel arranged its customers, with the hotel being in blocks my advise would be to separate families, couples and rowdy young holiday makers into their own separate blocks. Many a night we were rudely awaken by loud, shouting, inconsiderate young people coming in in the early hours!
The food was plentiful, a wide variety and cooked to very good standards although I missed my fajitas as they were non available in the restaurants only tacos? Bit strange for a Mexican resort I would say? Restaurants were very good but a mixed bag between certain ones regarding the standard of customer service received.This was especially evident in the Italian one where the waiters did not seem to have a clue what they were doing and got their time management wrong serving and taking orders! Only once did we feel the need to make a complaint to the hotel management, all staff were excellent apart from certain 'tip' oriented staff. Such staff made it their priority to serve tipping people first over others, even though I have paid good money on all inclusive and travelled far to come to such places like this why should my service not be as important? Watch out for this, favouritism does happen believe me! The 'Star' friends were excellent, special mention to Valerio, Laura, Gabriel who always took the time to talk, show interest in their clients and get people involved, if you said no they would leave it at that and not pester which I like! A good range of shows at night although some got repetitive when you have been there 2 weeks but all in all the staff put their all into it to make evenings entertaining for its holiday makers. The only downside and recommendation to the hotel I would say is to make a separate bar/pub area?! I found there was nowhere in particular for people to meet and have a drink in a 'pub' like environment. The only place to get as near a feel to this was by going to the lobby where enjoying a drink in the humidity proved very difficult! Pool was excellent, clean and spacious and you could not fault the pool side bar staff, always friendly but the bar became a magnet for rowdy people. Many an afternoon this became packed with certain individuals merely there consuming as much alcohol as possible as if it was a competition and that they owned the bar. At times this could prove quite intimidating and you could not get no where near the bar to be served!
All in all a fabulous hotel but if you are easily offended by loud, young, inconsiderate and 'tip' oriented individuals then this is not the hotel for you. Such a shame!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank magictaylor

Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management of the Hotel IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for choosing us as option for your vacation in Mexico.

Thank you very much for the invaluable feedback you shared with us and other travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. It is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We would also like to thank you for highlighting the cleanliness of the rooms, and the wide variety of food available in our different restaurants. We would like to clarify that we do offer typical dishes in our Mexican specialty restaurant and we also have a Mexican corner in our main buffet, which includes fajitas and other options. We will look into it to promote it better.

We appreciate your special mention of our Animation Staff, especially Valerio, Laura and Gabriel. We are glad to know that you enjoyed their activities and their friendliness.

We regret that you found some inconveniences with the service of some members of our staff. Please be sure that we will pass this information to our Management in order to take this in consideration and work on this matter.

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to Mexico, you will not hesitate to visit us, since we earnestly look forward to hosting you once more.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#51 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!