“Second time at the Del Mar”

IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia
“Second time at the Del Mar”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

Our fifth time to Riviera Maya. Two times and our second visit to the Del Mar. I have to say that although it's still beautiful, it's taken a step down in the past few years. I emailed the resort numerous times begging for a ground floor since my 90 year old Mom is in a wheelchair and got a canned response back each time with "there are no guarantees". Apple vacations didn't help much with this request either since they put her on the second floor the first night. Christian (front desk) was nice enough to have her moved the following day. I noticed that the beach bar service has really slowed down. We were far away from the snack bar and rarely saw anyone come by to see if we wanted drinks. When we did, it took a long time to get one. They obviously need more help there. Also, I was surprised that the beach wasn't cleaned as it used to be. I remember going there and seeing the staff stack up the chairs nightly and raking the beach. We woke up early and found the same dirty cups from the day before. Also, gone are the coy fish that were in the water near the front of the hotel. I love cats but there are a ton of them near the restaurants begging for food. The best worker there is Raul who carted my Mom back and forth when a shuttle wasn't around (they run infrequently during the day). Also, someone mentioned a free shuttle to Playa, it's only run during the day and it cost $5 per person (not bad), but who wants to shop in the daytime heat? I don't like saying negative things about this place since I still love it, but the changes they've made need to be addressed. We saw a few (really good) shows, but again, the bar service was slow. We always tipped for it so it's obvious that they need more staff.

Room Tip: You can't choose a room but if you could, the middle is best (building 15)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lmg2357
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear client,

On behalf of the Management of IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for choosing us again to spend your vacation, we really appreciate your loyalty.

We truly thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us since they are a very important tool to us.

Concerning your mother’s room request, we always try to fulfill our guests’ requests; however we cannot guarantee the rooms since they depend on availability. We are glad to know that she could move to another room the morning after and that this made her stay more enjoyable.

We are sorry to know that you found the waiter service on the beach poor, we have already passed this comments on to the person in charge in order to take them in consideration.

We will be pleased to have the opportunity to host you back in the near future and restore your confidence in IBEROSTAR.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Montreal
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I spent one week from August 24th to August 31st at the resort.

In general the employees were very nice and polite and always did their best to ensure that your needs were being met.

The room and the washroom was very clean. The only annoyance was that the air conditioning unit was a little loud. We were in the building furthest from the beach, but it was less than a 10 minute walk. However, we were very close to the restaurants, bars, and shopping centre.

The beach was nice, but unfortunately there was a lot of seaweed because it was windy for most of the week. It did mean that the waves were really fun. We usually went to the beach for around 9-10 am and we always found some chairs in the shade.

The shows were surprisingly very well put together and really fun. Karaoke night was a blast.

The food was good. We tried the Mediterranean, Mexican, and Gourmet restaurant. Out of the three we enjoyed the gourmet restaurant the most. It was the fanciest of the three, but the food was really delicious, and they put a lot of work in the presentation.

Overall we were all very happy with the hotel, and I would have no problem in returning to the hotel for a future vacation.

PS. The banana daiquiris and margaritas were really good and they are made with real bananas. While it is not the most reliable internet, there is free wi-fi at the resort shopping mall. The resort nightclub was pretty good and while it opens at 10:30pm, it starts to fill up at around 11:30pm-midnight.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank logical_22
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your important review, and for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

We truly appreciate your special mention about the hard work of our staff, our guests’ recognition is one of the most important rewards to us and encourages us to keep working hard and offering a great service.

It is great to read that you found the shows and karaoke very fun and good. Furthermore, we are glad to know that you liked our specialty restaurants and enjoyed their food, mostly at the Gourmet.

We feel honored to know that you wish to come back; it will be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future to our resort IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar.

ohio
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort aug 8-15. I had a great time. Two years ago I stayed at the resort connected to the mar, the beach and loved this place. The mar and beach share restaurants and pools. If you have time do the free bike tour it's at 10:00 am and 3:00 pm . The guide will show you the five resorts on the complex and you will have a better idea of the layout.
Pros- beautiful landscaping, beach is beautiful , some seaweed washed up but that's Mother Nature and the workers work hard to clean it all up. Pool is huge not hard to find a quiet spot if you want. The staff is superb, they work so very hard, many of them 15 hr days in the heat. Jungle like atmosphere I prefer over the high rise type hotel on beach. Beautiful place, wonderful vacation.
Cons- lots of walking however it didn't really bother me, most restaurants and lobbies are open , no AC, this can be a pro and a con, occasionally it would be nice to not sweat to death however it's nice to be in the tropical beauty, you can sit in the AC at home. We did have a problem w our room safe and had to call several times before anyone came to fix. Food can be a bit iffy at times. Very hard to get chairs, reserved very early. Wifi only free in shopping center
Restaurants- Brazil is wonderful!!!! Japanese is good, steakhouse is good too however it's not AC, buffets are ok
Side note- I have visited this resort twice but this time I brought home an intestinal parasite. No way to know if I got it at the resort, no I didn't drink the tap water, I went on an excursion to swim with whale sharks, could have gotten anywhere. Although my boyfriend may be leery about returning I love this place, it's like a paradise to me. Watch shows at night, make dinner reservations the minute you get there, try scuba diving in the pool, bring your own inflatable inner tube from home, you can bring an insulated cup to take to the bar, make sure you try tacos at the shopping center( included in your all inclusive). I loved this resort.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Sheri L
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar again to spend your vacation. We also appreciate the time you took to share with us and other travelers your experience on TripAdvisor.

It fills us with pride and satisfaction to read from your comments that you loved the landscapes and the beach. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the bike tour around the resort.

We thank you for your feedback regarding the transportation, even this was not an issue during your stay. We would like to inform you that we have purchased a new trolley and in the next days it will be operational; this will allow us to offer a faster transportation service.

Our staff will be thrilled to know they contributed to offering you an unforgettable vacation and we really hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with our hospitality again.

IBERSOTAR Mexico
Parma, Ohio
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed here on an all-inclusive with Apple Vacations the third week of July. Very nice well-kept resort. All of the staff is very helpful and friendly. We went with 12 people...6 adults aged 55 to 65 and 6 kids aged 24 to 26. All had a great time. They have plenty of activities on the beach to keep you busy...bocce ball, horseshoes, volleyball, soccer, mechanical bullriding, archery, rifle shooting, zumba, water aerobics. Also, kayak, banana boats, catamaran, parasailing and plenty of excursions. Food was very good. We enjoyed all of their shows in the evening too. Only negative thing was that you have to be careful of the rocks in the ocean. Also there is a small shopping mall on premises which is nice. We would definitely go back again (this was our first time to the Riviera Maya).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Debbie502
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management of IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for your recent stay. We appreciate your wonderful feedback about your experience.

We feel proud to know that you had a great time with your family at the resort. It is lovely to read that you enjoyed and liked all our different activities at the pool and beach.

We appreciate your special mention about the good service and friendliness of the staff as well as the evenings shows.

There is nothing that makes us happier than learning that a guest that intends to return to our hotel, so we are looking forward to your return!.

beachbumjason343
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My wife and I just got back from honeymoon from 8 nights at Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar from August 24-September 1. We were blown away by the resort. We read lots of reviews and saw lots of pictures beforehand but things have to be experienced firsthand to truly get a feel. We read how big the resort is beforehand but it's truly very large. We love walking but we were happy that the resort had trolleys/shuttles that would pick people up from various of spots in the resort and drop them off at others. Very nice feature. We loved the grounds themselves with being in the middle of the jungle and with lots of great wildlife with the pelicans,flamingos, swans, iguanas and of course the huge amount of coatis that were running around.

We thought the food was very excellent. During our stay we stayed at the Medattterian Restaurant, Brazilian Steakhouse, the Japanese Restaurant, and the gourmet restaurant. The food and service and decor of those restaurants were very nice. We also had a beach dinner our last night. We were on the beach for 15 minutes or so before a storm started coming. Very strong winds that were moving the Table itself. Unfortunately we had to move our dinner inside the closest restaurant. Miguel our personal waiver was very attentive and very helpful even while trying to help us during the powerful winds.

The buffets and snack bars by the pool and beach where very nice too. I have read some reviews where people complained about them. We don't have any idea why. The buffets were always well stocked. If a particular dish got empty the staff would have a replacement there in no time. And speaking of dishes we enjoyed that there was such a large variety of options during the breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets. Not sure how people can complain about food when there is such a large variety of food.

The pool is just an amazing feature. With the reviews and pictures we saw beforehand it's the pool size that won over choice to pick Del Mar as our honeymoon choice. Such a large pool. That was the best part of the resort.

A close second is the staff. The staff were all so friendly and helpful during our stay. They are just amazing. They all Same very hardworking and put in long hard hours and even more amazing that most of them do it while it's so hot out. The star friends are all truly amazing and all the activities and shows they do is superb.

The only two little downfalls I would say is that it would be nice if guests can have little more reservations per their stay but that really doesn't matter to much. And on one of excursions we saw a family from another resort and instead of the plastic wristbands like other resorts have, they had bracelets that were string/Rope with a wooden design in the middle for their resort. That would be nice if the iberostars did something similiar!

Nonetheless we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank beachbumjason343
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar for such a special occasion as your honeymoon. We really appreciate the time you took to share with us and other travelers your unforgettable experience.

It is great to read that you loved the landscapes, vegetation and wildlife. Furthermore, we are glad to know that you liked the food offered at the buffet and specialty restaurants.

We are grateful for your lovely words about our staff; we will pass them on. Your recognition is one of the best rewards our employees can receive for their hard work.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel, to enjoy once again our warm environment and great service.

Southington, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 September 2014

This is my 2nd time staying at this resort and it was great both times. They have renovated since my last trip a few years ago. There is food and drink available on the beach along with many buffet options near the pool during the day. At night there are shows each day along with adult and kids dance clubs.

Restaurants onsite during the evening offer delicious food varieties and I enjoyed getting steak multiple nights. You will not be disappointed being here for a nice vacation in the sun and sand.

During the day there are pool games and other activities available on the beach like tug of war, soccer, volleyball, and yoga...etc. If you don't want to do that you can sit under the cabana and relax.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carl P
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso del mar again for your vacation, we truly appreciate your loyalty.

We are always glad to receive comments like yours after a wonderful stay as they motivate us to improve our service daily. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed each of our services and facilities as the bars by the pool, restaurants, food and recreation activities.

It is gratifying to know that we contributed to the happiness of our guests and hopefully we give us again the opportunity to serve you on your next visit in Riviera Maya.

Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar from August 18-25, 2014. I went with a group of 9 friends, and we had a great time! This is my 3rd trip to Mexico, so I was able to compare it to other resorts.

The rooms are nice, and very clean. You can't ask for much more than what you get. The maids leave a new towel decoration daily, so it is always a nice surprise when you get back from a long day at the beach. The mini bar in the room is very mini-only 4 new beers every other day. The rooms were also very cool, and it was nice to cool off in the air conditioning before heading back out into the heat.

The pools are kept clean, and if you walk by them at night you will see the staff cleaning them up. The water does get very hot during the day; however it is like that at any resort in the heat of the summer. There are 3 pool bars that are nicely spread out. They do not have top shelf liquor, so if you are looking for that you will be disappointed. The Stars staff is always working hard at the pool closest to the beach, but if you want a quieter pool area go towards the waterfall. Yes, people do get up at 6am to reserve spots at the pool. Yes, it is annoying, and yes, something should be done about it; however if you want a good spot at the pool you will have to get up early.

The beach at the resort is breathtakingly beautiful. There are always spots on the beach at anytime of the day. The water is crystal clear, but rocky in some spots. Overall the beach was perfect, and I don't think you could possibly ask for anything more serene.

The food was good! The only thing is you start to get sick of it after a week, but there is no doubt it was good! All of the buffets are "open air" so there is not any air conditioning. We had dinner at the steakhouse, and it was delicious! The steakhouse is also open air, so if you want to get out of the heat I would choose another restaurant. The Japanese Hibachi was a clone of Sakura's here in the US. The food was delicious, and cooked to perfection. We also went to the Mediterranean restaurant. Many of us chose the Steak & Lobster, and we were not disappointed. The Mediterranean restaurant was the best, and the service was excellent. Tip: try and book your reservations before you go, especially if you are a big group. They let us do that so we didn't have any stress when we got there!

If you stay at this resort make sure you go to the shopping center and check out the taco bar. The tacos are delicious, and by far the best tacos I have ever had. There is also free WiFi at the shopping center.

I saw that many people complained about too much walking. The walking isn't really that bad, and compared to other resorts it's a very short walk. Be prepared to walk no matter what resort you choose to stay at.

I have stayed at Moon Palace & The Grand Mayan and the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar is comparable to both resorts. There are only a few cons that I did not like. First, there is minimal top shelf liquor available at the resort, and none at the pool bar. Everyone we spoke with did not like the fact that we had to drink our beer & mixed drinks in cheap plastic cups, the resort could invest in nicer plastic cups. It would be nice if the resort had a pool where you could view the beach from the pool (like Moon Palace), then you get the best of both worlds. The food at the buffet became a bit repetitive, and since guests can only reserve minimal reservations at the a la carte restaurants, the quality and options of food at the buffets should be much better. The staff was good. I would not say great, as I have seen much better staff who does not expect tips at other resorts, but they definitely worked hard, and kept the resort in great condition. Also, the resort needs free WiFi.

Overall, for the cost of the resort it was amazing and definitely worth every penny. Many of my friends traveled to Mexico for their first time, and Iberostar made a GREAT first impression for them. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: building 13 or 14 are right in the middle and closest to everything
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brianna B
Dear client,

First of all, we would like to thank you for the time you took to share with us and other travelers your experience at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Beach.

We are pleased to know that your vacation was incredible and that you had a great time with your friends. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We appreciate your highlighting about the cleanliness and beauty of the rooms, we are happy to know that you enjoyed the different towels decoration that the housekeeper did every day.

Furthermore, thank you for your mention about how beautiful and well kept the pool and beach are. It is gratifying to read that you found the food delicious at the Japanese Restaurant and that you received a great service at the Mediterranean.

It fills us with pride and satisfaction to read that you desire to come back, we would love to host you once again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar? Share your experiences!