“I love it!”

Iberostar Golf Club Playa Paraiso
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have finally lost count of how many times I have played this course. I love it.
My wife and I vacation at Iberostar Paraiso Maya 3 to 4 times annually and have been doing so for many years now. The green fee for resort guests is $79 in the morning and just $49 in the afternoon. This has to be the best set of rates for anywhere outside of North America.
* How many of you have played a "cow pasture" somewhere and payed $200 or $300?
The Pro Shop staff of Elias, Raquel, Alicia are friendly and polite at all times and management will do anything they can to accommodate special requests and, when possible, provide weekly discounted rates - even though you don't need them.
The friendliness and politeness extends outside to the starter staff. They will do their best to set you up with a group or allow you to play alone. They will also automatically clean your clubs for you whether you have played the course or were just hitting range balls.
The driving range is basic but provides multiple targets.
* I defy anyone to show me a driving range tee deck in better condition than this one.
In addition, there are mats behind the deck and under a roof should you wish to hit balls out of the sun or in the rain. Range balls cost just $7 for a small bucket and $10 for a large one. Again, a sweet deal as it takes me almost 2 hours to work my way through the large amount of balls.
As Iberostar is an all-inclusive resort, the beverage cart is free. Yes, free. The cart itself is not manned by some young Mexican hottie either. These guys ARE thinking straight. Because there is no delay due to the chatting up of some young girl attendant, the beverage cart makes it way around the course 5 or 6 times during the round. Thank goodness for that on hot days.
The golf course maintenance crew at Iberostar put those persons working at my "private club" in Canada to shame. When you approach an area in which they are working, without exception, they will pull over to the side, well out of the way and stop any running engines. They will stand still and not make a sound. WOW. At my course, there are workers whizzing past me all day with loud equipment and with no consideration whatsoever. Well done, Iberostar management!
The golf course itself is exceptional. Multiple tee decks provide a challenge to all golfers. The course is green and lush and perfectly manicured. The rough is interesting because it is made up of higher shrubbery over sand and shale. In fact, unless you hit it into the water, it is almost impossible to lose a ball out there. Water, by the way, comes into play only on holes 6, 11 and 12.
The ball sits up nicely on the fairways. I don't believe I have ever had a poor lie. However, the grass is different to that which I am used to in Canada. You will not generate, and therefore
not be able to rely upon, much roll on your tee shots. Especially the day after a rainstorm. So what? At the same time, the greens are smooth, true and fast. Bunkers hold beautiful light sand.
The golf carts are modern, new and run well. They also have rain tarps on the back.
Believe me, you will only have yourselves to blame for a poor score. I could go on and on. But I won't. The course is fabulous. The staff are great and the price is right.
OK, one last thing. The Pro Shop is only a 9 iron from the hotel lobby. This means that you can be at the swim-up bar in the pool just minutes after your round. And that, my friends, is living well!

7  Thank Craig J
in 24 reviews
in 19 reviews
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I went there and played during the Belize Open golf tournament, and this was probably the finest service I've seen at any golf facility they were there every other hole with food and drinks. As well as the service that they supplied and cleaning your clubs and taking care of your every need while playing was taken care of meticulously

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This was the course used for the BIg Break Mexico golf TV show. It was fair and we enjoyed our round, The proshop staff was polite and helpful. Merchandise selection is small and expensive.

1  Thank K B
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We went to the ElParadise beach after the Ruins and had a I swim a lot the water is the best and the sand very fine and white the bar was good and they cooked a great meal surf and turf with rice and beans on the side,I always eat rice and beans every time I vacation
To Caribbean Sea I love that.
We had a great time and enjoy that tour very much.I recommend Tulum beach the best.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Everything about the course I thought was great. The condition of the greens, fairway and rough were all in phenomenal shape. The course had a lot of variety in type and shapes to their holes. They were long par 4s and also ones were you could drive the green. There were dramatic dog legs and Par 5's you could reach in two. Also, opposed to some other Mexico (or Arizona) style courses, if you did happen to shank a ball or two you had a decent chance of finding the ball. The course is pretty wide open and has generous landing areas for your driver. The course wasn't too crowded on the course the days I played (Saturday and Monday). Got through the rounds in around 3 hrs! Really happy about that so I could spend more time by the pool and beach (but still enjoying a couple rounds of golf ;).

Only minor complaint is the air is very still throughout the golf course so you get pretty hot and sweaty out there. One of the days I played was especially hot and it really takes it out of you by the 18th hole.

The pro shop is a little weak and overpriced. Make sure to bring extra golf balls with you down if you plan on playing. I think the pro shop charged $16 for 3 Titleist DTs (which are normally about $20 per dozen). Also think they wanted about $90 for a souvenir Polo Golf shirt that wasn't even name brand.