“Bitter / Sweet”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Bitter / Sweet”
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed for two weeks at Maya during August. I`ve been to Iberostar properties before, as I tend every year to use Iberostar as my vacation destination.
It was a brilliant holiday, filled with sunshine, fun and memories.
I. M. complex from the architecture to the decor displays a tribute to Maya civilisation. It feels ethnic and tropical.
The j. suite that we occupied at the bld. 60 was spacious and tastefuly decorated. It was probably the biggest hotel room I`ve stayed at. The facility is kept in the spotless manner as the Mexican emploees turn into 24 hr operating machine. Very friendly and cordial staff, displaying nothing than a smiling faces.
Entertainment at night although impressive and fun, does not compensate almost not existent acctivites at the beach. We are not a pool lovers. We enjoy the beach setting while travelling to Caribbeans. Lack of activities at the beach was a tiny disappointment.
With exception of breakfast choices, food was good. Every day you`ll find a new, smart varity of international cuisine at the buffet. Excluding Cajun, we tried al lof the restaurants and we found them great for all inclusive hotel standard. Seafood restaurant stands in particular way out. Simply Delish !!
If you are a traveller who carrys nostalgy for Europe and who enjoys to mingle with international- European crowd, this hotel is a perfect spot to excercise in English conversation with guests from mosly middle USA.
So, why does my title state: "Sweet & Bitter" ?
To begin with, it doesn`t matter whether you book Iberostar Maya or Iberostar Lindo. They are both in the same site and share facilities. The only difference is THE PRICE.
Ha, how do you like that ?
How do you like to see Lindo guests who pay less, having the same privileges ?
Few extra sqF at the j.suite and free WiFi at the lobby is not enought to book Maya knowing that restaurants , bar and the rest of the facility offers an access to Lindo guests.
Enjoy Iberostar which remains the best all-inclusive in the World..................just be smart in your selection of booking.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
  • Polish first
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed 4 September 2011

This was my first all-inclusive vacation, and it was amazing! We orginally booked with the Lindo, but were offered a free upgrade to the Maya upon arrival. Our room was very big, and very clean. The grounds were impeccable. The beds could have been bigger, I think it was only a full...Drinks were good. The pools were great. The beach was beautiful. Wake up early - 7am, and set up your towels to reserve an umbrella. Wear sunscreen, and don't forget to reapply. The buffets are ok-lots of selection on foods, avoid the one by the beach. The Japanese restaurant was amazing, and so was the Mexican and steakhouse. The snake bar in the Maya lobby was really fun. We did an excursion to Chichen-Itza. We had a great trip. The service was good, drinks refreshing, and the trip was awesome! I would definitely stay here again, and do recommend to friends.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank froggy994
Newton, MA
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We loved the Paraiso Maya. The service was first class. Everyone on the staff went out of their way to please you. The beach is magnificent. You can either sit and sun all day, or stay busy with activities. Our children felt so independent. They'd get food when they wanted, and took advantage of all of the water activities and some of the beach fun.

2 Thank karenandjeff
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Just got back from 2 wks staying at this well deserved 5 star hotel! The staff were all so friendly nothing was too much trouble. The beach was beautiful we managed to get a shaded spot each time we went the same at the pools. We ate at the Mexican restaurant-ok,the italian-ok,the steak(twice) 2nd time v slow service but our favourite was the French restaurant which we visited on our last night.Every day we had animal towel art and the room was cleaned to a high standard. Would love to book next year but James the First Choice rep says that the Maya is not available next summer with First Choice only Lindo & Del Mar so will consider Lindo as most facilities are shared between all hotels.

Room Tip: Block 63 High Floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank holidays504128
Boston, MA
Reviewed 31 August 2011

This is long but I like details. This was our first time in Mexico and first at an all inclusive. We were a family traveling with our 4 kids (20,18,14,11). My husband and I travel once a year or so and have stayed in many Caribbean islands, a couple of cruises and Bermuda. We decided to try Mexico due to the prices and activites for a broad range of ages.

First let the airport. I thought I wa prepared to ignore the time share agents but a man in an official looking outfit, dressed like many others, told us we had to follow him in order to get our transfer voucher authorized and had us sign our vouchers to look official. It turns out he was trying to sell us excursions and a time share demo. We refused but had spent 10-15 mins talking with him before we realized the "game". The men are inside the airport with official government type uniforms and lie to you about needing to speak with them. Go past them, refuse to stop, pass through sliding doors to the outside where the transport is. I am shocked the government allows this to go and let them lie to visitors.

Our transport, arragned by our airlines (Best Day) was fine except they woke us up at 8:00 am the next morning wanting to know what time we would be down to talk to them to arrange our ride back to the airport. It turned out to be another attempt to sell us excurisions. He wasn't too pushy and we let him know we weren't happy about being woken after arriving late due to rain delays in the States.

Check in went smoothly, we were upgraded to connecting rooms in bldg 65. These weren't far from the lobby, bars or pool/theatre area. It was a bit of a hike to the beach but not an issue for us. The rooms were huge by hotel standards. We asked for mattrress toppers since we knew the beds were hard based on other reviews. They even brought them for the pull out couches. With those, the beds were fine for us even thought we have a tempurpedic at home, which pleasantly surprised me since I am a light sleeper and hard to please. The temperature varied greatly in the 2 rooms but was comfortable even so. It wasn't the newest furniture but it was decent enough.

I can't say enough how beautiful the grounds were, the beach and pool areas. Everything was constantly being cleaned. It was quite warm and high humidity for all of our trip. It rained parts of the last two days but we didn't mind this and didn't keep anyone out of the water. We never experienced any bugs even though we brought repellant due to other reviews.(There were some tiney, tiney bugs in the room but they didn't bother anyone and I expect some of that in tropical climates. Even in other 5 star resorts the architecture has't compared to this. While I realize there are many other resorts like this, we usually stay in smaller resorts when it's just my husband and I.

All of the kids seemed to find plenty to do. We did bring our own blow up floats as suggested here and they came in quite handy. We were disappointed with the wind surfing. They told my kids the wind wasn't good here, too many cross currents and they have told the hotel to take it off the website. The older 2 did the parasailing right from the beach, which cost $60 USD each for 15 min ride. They thought it was worth it. They also did kayaking which was also fun. We didn't play the towel game, couldn't be bothered getting up that early but every day we found chairs in the shade at either the pool or the beach, just not near the front. It may have taken a while to get 6 together but we always did eventually.

Restaurants weren't remotely full at any time. We got reservations every night. We weren't impressed with the seafood restaurant but being from New England we should have known better, we get great seafood at home that is tough to compare. The steak was good, we returned there twice. The mexican and italian were okay for us and the japanese was very good. They put on a show about preparing the food right in front of you which impressed erveryone. First AI so I wasn't sure what to expect with the food but it was good. Something for everyone and not being huge foodies we weren't disappointed.

A few suggestions for the hotel, I wish they would include an orientation about the resort. It took several days to figure out our way around and sometimes found we were going way out of our way to get somewhere. A few minutes explaining that you can get from the lobby to the beach by following the pathways leading through all of the buildings, expecially in the rain, would be very helpful. Also a clear description of the amenities and where to find them would be good. The hotel brochures/information was written in very poor English. I can't understand why a resort chain of that size doesn't have better interpretation of their materials. You can figure it out but still it's strange. Some of the info was wrong and outdated. Certain restaurants weren't open for breakfast or lunch as the brochures stated but different ones were. It could be figured out easily enough but why not update the little maps they hand out.

The entertainment was good, especially the Mexican show and the musicals. Sometimes it was hokey but it was something to do. I only wish they had air conditioning or more fans in there as it was so hot most nights. We booked a private photo session with the hotel photographer and we weren't diappointed. They were very good and resonably priced.

One down side, I was missing a silver bracelet when it came time to pack. I thought I had been very careful to lock up everything of value every time we left the room so I can't figure out what happened to it. It wasn't very expensive but was a favorite of mine and I never wore it to the pools or beach, only at night. It had a double safety clasp so I don't think it fell off. I can't accuse anyone because I don't know for sure, but be sure to account for all of your valuables every night and then you would know if and when something was missing.

All in all we were all very happpy and would go back there or to another Iberostar in the future. I don't know where the bad reviews come from but our expectaions were exceeded!

5 Thank MEKMOM
Great Midwest
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We just returned from the Iberostar Paraiso Maya on August 28 for 7 nights. I was traveling with my wife and two children ages 4 and 7. Let me start by saying that the Mexican staff at this hotel work extremely hard to make sure you have a nice vacation. The entertainment staff, housekeeping staff, bellman, concierge, and restaurant staff do an excellent job to make sure you are happy and have a nice stay.

All inclusive vacations are very different and if you never experienced one you may not like it. Try to get as much information as you can to decide if this vacation style is for you and make sure you read below on food quality at the sit down restaurants. As with many of these mega resorts in the Riviera Maya there is lots and lots of walking. If you are disabled in any way or just cant walk very long distances these resorts may not be for you. It could be a 10 to 20 minute walk depending on where your room is located to get to the restaurants, beach, and shows. Many of these resorts in Riviera Maya are 3 or more large resorts on the same property making them one huge mega resort and sharing many of the same facitlies. Ibersostar Playa Paraiso consists of four resorts. Paraiso Lindo, Paraiso Maya, Paraiso Del Mar, and Paraiso Beach. You can use all the facilities at any Iberostar and eat at any of them as well including the one on Cozumel.

TIP 1: The bellman will give rides to and from your room on a golf cart for small tips if you call him but since they are busy giving other people rides by the time you wait for the bellman you can walk to your destination. The tram also works well but only runs every 20 minutes.

We stayed at this property in May 2010 and thought we would give it another try. The check in process at this hotel is still some what difficult and always seems to be a problem. They assign you a room upon check in and they are not very accommodating with special requests either before you arrive or even after you arrive. We booked a Superior Junior Suite king bed with sleeper sofa but they didn’t have one upon check in so we had to settle for a regular Junior Suite with 2 double beds and then after a couple of days a Superior became available. Hard to believe when the hotel was only 30% full. The people who check you in seem to have an attitude like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there and they are also in a hurray to just assign you a room and get you out of the way so they can go on to the next family.

The grounds and property are absolutely beautiful and they spend a lot of time cleaning the grounds, pools, and facility. The service at the resort is also very good. Each building has their own concierge to make restaurant reservations and attend to any of your needs and that’s really nice and they are there from 7AM to 11PM. The rooms are clean but are around 5 years old now and starting to show some age and could use some freshening up. The beds are extremely hard and housekeeping will put a mattress pad on the bed for you making it much nicer. The linens and towels were good and each room has mini bar that is included and restocked daily as well as a limited room service menu.

Over our two stays at this resort we tried all 6 sit down restaurants and they are not too good. They are all listed below. Finally we made up our minds to stick to the buffet restaurants and were able to at least find the stuff we like and the food was decent. Buffets are very common in Mexico and may be your best choice. However there are problems with buffets. Buffets are like a feeding call for cattle and can be a bit annoying. Since the buffet restaurants have open doors and windows there are fly’s in the buffet area and on the food. When getting your food you just hope you don’t get the one a fly landed on. Next you could find inconsiderate people coughing and sneezing around the buffet area. Some make an effort to cover their mouth and sneeze away from the food but some don’t. I caught several people taking food and smelling it and then putting it back. I caught several people eating food right off the serving trays.

1. La Geisha Japanese. It was ok but lacking.
2. El Tapatio Mexican. It was typical Mexican and ok.
3. El Rancho Steak House. It was ok and probably the best of them all.
4. Jambalaya Cajun. Cajun in Mexico? You decide.
5. El Fogon Italian. Reminded me of pasta with ketchup. Stay away.
6. El Museo French. I don’t think so.

TIP 2: Make all your sit down dining reservations the day you get there so they can accommodate you.

TIP 3: If traveling with kids stick to the buffets at the Pagoda and La Marina dining rooms. This will be your best choice as they require food on demand and go to the buffets early.

TIP 4: Buffet lunches poolside are decent.

There are over 25 different activities at this resort from sun up to sun down brought to you by the entertainment staff and you will surely find things to do. From pool games to beach parties, golf, archery, volley ball, you won’t be bored. The resort also has a wave pool and lazy river and this was really nice. The kids club and services were outstanding. They also have baby sitting service. There is a different show every night and they are nothing special but just ok. At least they kept us entertained. The entertainment staff works hard at these shows and try their very best but the shows fall short probably because of limited resources. The one big thing I enjoyed the best and probably gets overlooked the most was the spa. I highly encourage you to check out the spa facility as it was probably the finest spa I ever been to. I had a massage and it was excellent.

TIP 5: Take the kids at night to the carousel for rides and ice cream. Nice Mexican band playing also.

So now you know what to expect and hopefully you can decide if this vacation style is for you. Don’t make your decision based only on food. You are not considering going to Mexico entirely for the food at the resort. You are going for the weather, beach and culture so have fun and get involved! I still don’t know of any place better you can get everything include for $75.00 per day per person. If you know of one drop me an email.

13 Thank caymankid
Gibbsboro, NJ
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The Hotel complex was awesome. There was a large variety of restaurants. Most of our meals were very tasty. One of my meals for dinner was not that good. I mentioned it to our waiter and he told me to order another meal. I did and my second meal came quickly.

The rooms were very nice and clean. The pools were huge. There was a cold front in Mexico when we were there, so we didn't use the pools. The hotel beach was kept very clean. There was a beach grille that you could order hot sandwiches and there was also a beach bar for cocktails.

Overall, I would stay at this All-Inclusive Resort again!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank Sunnyand82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!