“Iberostar….at its best”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This was my fourth trip to this wonderful complex, over the last 2 years. The first three visits were to the sister resort of Iberostar Paraiso Lindo. These two resorts are 90% similar. As a result, the Maya is worth upgrading only for a small amount.

When writing a review it’s always important to know a person’s experience and background. Personally, I travel 5-7 times a year to the Caribbean and Mexico (both coasts) usually to 4.5 and 5 star resorts. Higher end chains like Iberostar, RIU, Barceló, Gran Bahia, and Sandals to name a few.

Below are a few comments on all areas of the resort.

ROOM
Since it was off-season we asked and received an upgrade to the Superior room. Compared to the standard room, it contained a few extra feet in the sitting area.

Even though we spent little time in the room itself, it was wonderful. Rooms are very large with all the comforts of home. Not only was the room and the sitting areas large but they were very well decorated and maintained. In addition the bar fridge was full upon arrival and refilled with beverages on a daily basis. It contained a wide selection of beverages.

The room also had a decent size tv (dvd player attached) with a decent selection of channels. In addition, we also had a clock radio with a built in cd player.

The room had very large closets, with plenty of hangers and a nice size safe. Closet also contained an umbrella and a iron.

The bathroom was very large with a nice size walk-in shower and a very large tub with a built-in whirlpool.

Towels were plentiful and replaced daily.

Each building has its own concierge desk which is mainly used for booking dinners but they can and will assist you with any questions and concerns.

In addition each building has a unique outdoor lobby that you simply can`t walk through without staring in amazement.

Unlike the Lindo, the Maya has elevators in each building.

LOBBIES/BARS
Perhaps the most famous bar in the Mayan Riviera, the famous snake bar.
This famous bar is inside a replica of the Mayan Pyramid of Kukulkan, the pyramid that`s found at Chichen Itza.

The entire lobby area is nothing short of amazing. It`s basically like walking thru a museum.

In the general area of the bar is a games room, a cigar room, an internet room and plenty of shops.

In addition, the lobby has free Wi-Fi.

BUFFETS
Even the pickiest eater can find something to eat.

The main indoor buffet is in the lobby area of the neighbouring Lindo. The buffet is split into two adjoining seating areas though one side is usually closed during off-season.

In addition to the main buffet, you have the option of the restaurant near the main pool area as well as the outdoor restaurant in the neighbouring Iberostar Paraiso Beach.

À LA CARTES
Even though the buffet would satisfy most people, it`s always nice to be pampered at one of the wonderful a la cartes. Be warned that seating is limited and not all restaurants are opened every night. Several seating’s are available each night.

The Steak House, Japanese and Cajun were my favourite three restaurants though I really enjoyed all the selections available.

Unlike many resorts you can go every night to one of these specialty restaurants.

Book early at your concierge desk.

POOLS
The complex has a countless number of pools in the 4 resorts that you are allowed to visit and enjoy. All pools are very large with a unique design.

In addition, several pools have a swim up bar. Pool activities usually end around lunch time. This can be very loud so it`s always a good idea to visit the beach in the morning and one of the pools in the afternoon.

Pools are well maintained but are not heated.

Attached to the main Lindo pool is the wave action pool that is mainly for children. A short walk away is the lazy river that is very lazy, suited for younger children.

BEACH
Wow. Very large and wide beach with plenty of shade. The water can be very rough with a red flag being the norm.

The beach is well maintained with a life guard tower that isn`t always manned.

The water can be very refreshing with few, if any rocks.

In addition to the great sand and water and shade you also have a very convenient beach bar and small bbq area with burgers, fries, tacos, etc.

In this area is also some of the activities including archery. Walk along the beach and you`re quickly in the beach area of the Iberostar Beach and Del Mar which has its own bar and bbq area. Since it has a different selection of food, it`s worth the small walk.

GROUNDS
The grounds are nothing short of amazing. This complex is a combo between a museum and high end beach resort.

It is well maintained. Since this is a very large complex, it`s easy to get lost and confused but it will never be boring.

GYM
The complex has a well-stocked gym for burning off those excessive calories that can easily be consumed throughout the day. In addition, bicycle tours are available to enjoy and become familiar with this large complex.

STAFF
The resort is well staffed with plenty of people throughout. They are very fluent in English and very helpful and friendly.

ENTERTAINMENT
Year over year the entertainment hasn`t changed much but I always thought it was well done with a wide selection of performances. The theater is very large so even during peak season you should find seating.

INTERNET
Free to visitors of the Maya and Lindo resorts. Wi-Fi is in the lobby bar of the Maya.

CLIENTELE
Mainly English speaking tourists from Canada and the United States.

SHOPPING
In addition to the shops that are within all lobbies, there is also a shopping complex that is shared by all resorts in this complex. It is across from the Lindo lobby.

In addition to shops, you also have more free food options which includes hamburger, taco and crêpes restaurants. All indoors.

Most nights local vendors will be near the lobbies of the Maya and Lindo.

CONCLUSION
Most people ask two major questions of any resort. Would you recommend it and would you go back. Easy answer is a big YES to both questions.

This is a very large complex and you have access to four resorts, all offer something to do during the day and night. Take advantage of the entire complex and not just your section of the complex.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
19  Thank James_Burlington
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Reviewed 2 October 2011

Just got back from the hotel a few days ago. Overall a great trip.

I didn't give it 5 stars becuase we did have a few negatives:

- Our room had a bad smell at for the first few days. Finally figured out it that something smelled on our bed cover. Once we put that out of our room the smell went away.
- The bed was horrible. VERY hard and uncomfortable. We had a bed foam placed on our bed after 2nd day but it didn't help much.
- The food was just "ok" except for the Japanese steakhouse and the breakfast buffet near the lobby. Both were great!
- My wife and I like to relax in the pool and have some drinks on some days. We were shocked when the pool bar would close at 6pm. This was annoying especially since the pool was still packed with guest when they were closing. Since its all inclusive instead of pay as you go that probably explains why they close the bar early. If you don't drink this of course won't be a negative.

Now for the positives:

- Service was great from everybody.
- Beach was great!
- Pools were great!
- The hotel looks outstanding. You can tell they work hard to keep it looking good.
- We took our 3 year old along and she had a great time. This hotel is great for kids.

My wife and I had stopped doing all inclusives years ago and decided to try it again. It will probably be awhile before we do one again but we still had a great time on our visit here.

If you are traveling with your family and looking for an affordable vacation than this is the hotel to be at. Great job Iberostar!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank shane560
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We LOVED this hotel. Perfect beach, great pools, wonderful food and drinks(especially the banana daquiries at the beach).We used the gym most days and it was great. I highly recommend going to the spa just for a swim in the big warm pool. It's amazing and included. Also included is the burger spot and ice cream place across the street in the mall. We loved going to all the different attached hotels and trying their restaurants and looking in their shops. We even went next door to the grand palace and had a drink and a swim(had to sneak in !!) We never once waited for a drink or meal. Very quiet time I guess. Be sure to go shopping in Playa del carmen. Lots to see and do! The best food is at the Japanese or seafood restaurant. The nightly entertainment wasn't great, I wouldn't bother. Oh and be sure and have breakfast at the restaurant closest to the front lobby. Lots of mango each day and really good cappacino's. The weather is very hot, just perfect. The water at the beach is like a bathtub. We snorkeled twice and saw lots of fish out by the small reef. The lazy river is VERY lazy but still enjoyable. The wave pool is tons of fun. All in all, a perfect vacation. Don't hesitate!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 61 and I would say it is perfect. We lucked out with a corner suite. Very larg...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SBTOntario
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Loved my stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya.
I stayed at this hotel three times ...
Twice at Paraiso Lindo and this time at Paraiso Maya.the rooms are bigger at Paraiso Maya but both hotels are great.
The food is great, the staff is very friendly,and the activities for the kids were excellent.
I stayed at different all inclusive resorts and I can say this is the best..
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank VickaB
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here from 9/10/11 til 9/17/11 for the 1st time and will have to admit we were amazed by this resort! Besides being so huge and beautiful, the designs of its arquitechture has so many amazing details to it. The rooms are so spacious, very clean and comfortable. The buffet food its not all that but its clean and not too bad at all; but the different restaurants for late dinning were amazing! Besides the fact that they offer more than 5 different gourmet options, we were able to enjoy one differet option each and every night we stayed. Our favorite pick which we strongly recommend is the Japanese, the Seafood, & the Steakhouse! Another good service that they offer (which not that many guests know about) is that they offer free room service! They have a menu in every room which u get to order what u want as much as u want for free..The beach is absolutely beautiful and clean! We would like to come back soon. Service was on point in every aspect as well as the facilities of this place, even the public restrooms were spotless clean (every single one of them)! I will only suggest to bring ur own scented candles, just like every hotel we stay in we like our rooms to smell good and being the fact that is on the beach it just smells a little moldy but not as bad.

• Stayed: September 2011
5  Thank ChocoBarbie1
Reviewed 15 September 2011

This place is great, beautiful grounds, it's combimed with 5 other Iberostars. I highly recommend this place. Food is very good, steaks, lobster, lamb chops.

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank lucas23
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was the first time that my husband and I stayed at an all-inclusive, so we were not sure what to expect. Having stayed at 4-star hotels in the U.S. I've come to realize that the star ratings really differ depending on what country you're in. What I mean is that I experienced far superior service from the vast majority of the Iberostar staff, which I have not received in 4-star hotels in the U.S. As many of the reviewers have stated, the staff here are incredibly friendly, professional, attentive to detail and very kind. I would say that the service is definitely 5 stars.

However, when it comes to the quality of products that were offered at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, I found it to be sub-par. I had brought very little of my own toiletries, assuming that a 4-star all-inclusive resort would certainly provide good quality products. What I found was that the products offered in our junior suite ranged from cheaply made soap and shampoo to a lack of products (there was no toothpaste and hair conditioner). This made for a disappointing experience in one respect (so bring your own toiletries!!!).

The pools at the hotel were absolutely beautiful, well-maintained and friendly for both adults and children. The ocean is really just footsteps away from the hotel property and very clean. However, when my husband and I tried to snorkel, we realized there were no fish. Regardless, there was lots of fun in simply swimming in the warm, clean Caribbean waters. If you enjoy being in the water, this is the place to be.

In regards to the food, we found that there was always plenty to select from at the buffet restaurants. The quality of the food is mediocre. It's not bad, but it's nothing to write home about--think college dorm food. There were some highlights such as the fresh papaya and cappuccinos in the morning. But at the breakfast buffet by the Paraiso Lindo, we found that the guacamole was spoiled several days in a row. We also made reservations at several of the a-la-carte restaurants and the highlight was definitely El Rancho--the steakhouse. The French restaurant was extremely disappointing, as the fish I had ordered was not fresh, to say the least.

If the kind of vacation you want is one where you can unplug and take a holiday from making major decisions and choices, then I would suggest going to an all-inclusive like Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Our biggest decisions were "Should we go to the beach or the pool?" and "Should I get an omelette or scrambled eggs?"

Room Tip: We were in building 61 and it is REALLY close to the ocean, should you want to be closer to the ocea...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 176 in Cancun
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!