“Our Family Trip to Riviera Maya”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“Our Family Trip to Riviera Maya”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Iberostar Paraiso Maya was perfect for our family! It is only about 30 minutes from the airport.

Check in: As soon as we arrived at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo (our originally booked hotel), we were greeted immediately and escorted to the lobby. The receptionist gave our family this wonderful welcome drink and that's when the fun began. She was so kind and offered us an upgrade to stay at the Maya. I asked her, free? She said, free! I said, free! She said, yes, free! Holy smokes, we've hit the jackpot because this never happens to us. At this time, our room wasn't completely ready (she did give us the key, but said our room wouldn't be ready for another hour), but that was ok with us because we were starving. The buffet was already closing to get ready for dinner so we went to the shops across from the Lindo and ate at the yummy taco place. It was delicious! My kids love the nachos! After we ate, we went to the Lindo lobby and they escorted us and our luggage to the Maya. Our room was a junior suite. It was just beautiful. The only thing we had to do was ask for 2 roll-a-way beds. The couch bed was not sufficient for our 6 and 12 year old. We were pleased with the roll-a-ways and so were they. We just loved how big this room was. We immediately unpacked, put on our suits and headed down to the concierge to book all of the restaurants for the week! I highly reccommend doing this!!! The restaurants book fairly quickly. I only knew this from reading other reviews.

Beach: We went to the beach and it was just breathtaking! Very clean, even late afternoon. They work very hard to keep the beach clean daily. My 12 year old and husband enjoyed kayaking. The only advice I have is we stayed August 2-10 and it was hurricane season. We did end up having a tropical storm that ruined our beach days for the last 3 days. The staff works very hard to try and clean even after a storm, but it was even too much for them.

Restaurants:
Italian: We liked it, but we ate steak. Our steaks were delicious!
Hibachi: We ate here twice because it was so good. Great entertainment for the entire family!
Mexican: We loved it! The appetizers on the buffet were almost better than the meal. It was fantastic!
Cajun: We didn't eat here because the only great place you can get great cajun food is in Louisiana. We also did see a younger girl who did eat there said her chicken was raw and she was sick for 4 days of her 2 week trip. We didn't chance it. I lived in Louisiana for 5 years, I'll stick to real cajun.
Steak: Was good, but the steak was actually better at the Italian restaurant.
Buffets: All of them in the morning are great! The evening buffet at the lindo was delicious especially when it was sushi night!
On the beach: Civiche at lunch is AMAZING! I actually ventured over to the beach many days to see what they were serving. The food was always delicious!

Entertainment:
Kids Club: My 6 year old loved it! He preferred to be there than with us. They had games, crafts, spanish lessons, took them to the beach, lunch, pools, etc. They also perfomed a show one night and our son loved it. Thank you kids club staff for making us feel safe and for showing our 6 year old a great time!

Star Friends: These people work their tails off! They are at the pools early in the morning to greet you and to make sure you are having a good time and are the last faces you see after the awesome shows at night. We are a family who loves games, shows, and fun! Thank you star friends for making our trip so much fun. We had fun playing volleyball on the beach, pool volleyball, darts, archery, ping pong, dance lessons, and the other pool games in the main pool. You guys made our trip so much fun! Thank you, thank you!

Shows at night: They were awesome! We loved the nightly shows. They were great for the family!

Housekeeping: They did a great job, but we never had wash cloths. We don't really have any complaints, but our housekeeper could have kept us stocked on more coffee and cream. Our room was always clean and the towel art was cute.

The bars: AWESOME!!! Our drinks were always loaded with alcohol and were awesome!

The shops: Very convenient and reasonably priced!

The pools: Very clean and fun for all ages!

Overall, what can I say? Our trip was amazing! We can't wait to return! Our entire family is still talking about Iberostar Rivera Maya! Thanks for the memories!

8 Thank misstech
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community how you holiday went at our resort.
It is a pleasure to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time together with us and we look forward to seeing you again in your next holidays.

Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (941)
  • Polish first
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The hotel and beach are amazing. The staff is wonderful and very friendly. The location is very safe. It is only 30 min form the airport. The Hotel pools are very big and has a swim up bar that is very clean.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MaricelaMunoz
First of all we thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your vacations. WE appreciate your comments regarding the hotel grounds and hope to have you back with us very soon.

Spokane, Washington, USA
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Hotel was very nice. Staff was very helpful and pleasant. Every staff member we encountered was very helpful and willing to go that extra mile. Would recommend this resort to our family and friends. If you are a family with children then ask for a room near the children's pool. If you are traveling as a couple and no children ask for a room away from the "kiddie" pool area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

4 Thank Hairy4995
First of all I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us. Your comments and the time you dedicate to let us know about your stay at Iberostar are very important to us. For the near future we will having a Building exclusively for clients with children and infants that will be located close to the Kid’s club and the Aquatic Park and separated from the other buildings..
We hope to have the opportunity to host you back in the near future.

Irvine, California, USA
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Overal it is a nice hotel

The Pros are food and beach

The cons are sleeping in hard beds and entertainment (we stayed 5 nights and only 1 night the show was good).

and I do not think I will go back not a good value hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

6 Thank sharif70
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. Your mention of our hotel’s food and beach was also greatly appreciated. We look forward to the chance to host you again soon.

New York City
Reviewed 2 September 2012

After reading largely positive reviews and spending the extra money to go to Maya instead of Lindo, my wife and I were very disappointed.

First off, I need to tell you a bizarre story that happened when using IBEROSERVICE, the hotel's own airport transfer service.

I used Iberoservice through the hotel to feel safer because I was traveling with my wife and 2 year old. It costs $127 for round trip and you have to email pictures of your id and credit card to book. I thought this was a bit unsettling, but I verified that the documents were going where they should. I requested a car seat in advance to have in the vehicle for the baby. When we arrived, I inspected the car seat to make sure everything was safely installed. The car seat was missing parts and was not able locked to the seat. Upon further inspection, I found a HYPODERMIC NEEDLE sticking out of the bottom of the car seat where the baby's thigh would be!! I grabbed it and immediately showed the driver and travel coordinator (who greeted us at the airport to call the van). They both appeared confused as well. If I was smart, I would have taken a photo of the needle, but I was so mortified that I just wanted to get away from it. At that point, we sat in the back of the van with the baby on our laps and went to the hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel, I spent 2 or 3 hours talking with various staff and eventually the hotel manager to report the incident. They were not helpful and did not do anything to resolve the situation. They (Iberostar Maya) claimed that Iberoservice was no longer affiliated with Iberostar and I'd have to take the issue up with them.

Fact is, when booking Iberoservice, the phone number is the Iberostar hotline. All emails went to Iberostar staff. Furthermore, Iberoservice has a booth in the lobby of the hotel!

Now to be brief about the rest of our stay.

Pros:

-Grounds and pool were well kept and constantly being tended to.
-A lot to do, multiple pools, activities, lounges, etc.
-Breakfast at the Maya Lobby buffet was really great. (exception was the omelettes were never cooked through)
-Friendly and helpful staff, except in dealing with the situation above.

Cons:

-Food was below average:

In general, everything was bland and did not taste authentic. The restaurants all had buffet style appetizers and deserts while the main entree was a menu selection. This gets really tiresome after the first day or two because every restaurant, including the lunch buffets had the same stuff. The best way to describe it is that each restaurant had one or two things that were very good. The rest was crap. For example, the mexican restaurant had a lobster entree that was very good. The cajun restaurant had coconut shrimp appetizer and a chocolate desert. The japanese hibachi had good fried rice.

The other thing that bothered me was that you have to make reservations for dinner each night. We were unable to go to certain restaurants because they "claimed" there was no seating left. Not once did I see an even HALF full restaurant so this surprised me. Also, the first seating is at 6:30pm. This is kinda late for families with babies so my 2 year old was usually tired and getting cranky at dinner.

-Cleanliness:

Upon getting to our room, I found an open water bottle in the mini-fridge, a used drinking glass and some plastic stuff on the floor. It did not appear that the room was cleaned properly. This seemed to get better during the week. The lounge chairs outside were rather dirty and the beach ones are all stained. For a hotel that has a hundred workers cleaning the grounds all the time, this was surprising.

-Pool water tastes like pee. I am sure it is clean, but the water was a bit warm and definitely tasted different that any pool I am used to. For those of you who say "who tastes the water? I say, water always goes in your mouth or runs down your face.

-Drinks:

The frozen drinks tasted like icees (with chunks of ice in them) instead of creamy daiquiris. Simply put, rushed preparation and low quality drinks. The beer did not taste good through the tap. They don't give out straws. There are tons of bees around the self serve drink area on the beach.

It is important to note that the Maya and Lindo all share the same facilities and restaurants so this review is good for both hotels.

8 Thank jazzerd
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your vacations and for posting your review.

However as you have said and we told you; Iberoservice is not linked with Iberostar. It is totally independent from our company. And it is in the Lobby as we have the rest of the reps from other agencies.
What our Concierge department did next morning was to call to the Iberoservice’s manager to explain the situation and he was there when they reach you.

Furthermore, we have taken due note of your negative issues. We will be sure to pass along your remarks, so the management may look into your concerns. We sincerely wish to once again be given the opportunity to prove to you our dedication to excellent customer service and satisfaction.

New York
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Hotel grounds are beautiful. The grounds and rooms are kept very clean, which is our primary requirement. The beds are rock hard and were tough on my back, would have liked to see better mattresses. The food was ok, we weren't too impressed, but it was about what we expect from an all inclusive so we weren't surprised (and didn't go for the food). The concierge wasn't always around and almost never answered the guest services button (but I found if you dial zero and tell them they connect you to another line that always answered). Everything else was great. The pool is massive and you can get lost in them (we played hide and seek and it is great for it). The staff have a lot of activities for the kids and they loved it. They have a different show every night. We went to three of them and my kids enjoyed it, that was a nice bonus. The beach was beautiful, it was very windy our week so there were waves, but we enjoyed them. And the water is not very deep so it was great for playing in. We used the free snorkel gear (free an hour a day) to practice in the pool and that was nice and I did scuba diving for the first time after a free try in the hotel pool. It was a great base for all our activities and we definitely recommend the hotel. There is a lot of walking as others say, but the scenery was beautiful and I didn't think it was that much. We actually like the large setting, makes us feel like we our in our own little world.

Room Tip: We were in building 63, which was pretty central to the beach and restaurants/lobby. We would proba...
Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank pedz55
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. It is very encouraging to hear that our service, cleanliness, and dining options had exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit, and will also endeavor to treat you to an even more enjoyable vacation.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

We had a fabulous time at this hotel - had researched a lot of hotels and settled on this one. Great for families, especially with younger kids - lazy river, wave pool, water park area, kids club and fun entertainment during the day and night show for the family! Walking was not an issue at all - especially once you learn your way around the hotel - also there are shuttles/trolleys, golf cart rides. Beach was beautiful blue Cancun water - plenty of chairs, didn't experience any issue with seaweed or rocks. Food was plentiful - enjoyed different restaurants - probably wouldn't be good enough for a true foodie, but perfectly good for an all inclusive - no one in our party got sick and we ate and drank everything. Trip to Playa del Carmen is fun and something different as you're isolated on the Iberostar properties - nothing else around. We did a day trip to Tulum and X-Hela - loved X-hela - ziplining, tubing, snorkeling - kids had a great time! Shows at night were also good, much better than expected! Rooms were spacious, plenty of space to put clothes away - a little outdated in terms of decor but no big issue - we had a fabulous time at the Maya -which is basically connected with all the same access to the Lindo.

2 Thank travelingmom-dm
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. It was our great pleasure to have had the opportunity to host you. We recognize that there are a myriad of other properties in Riviera Maya that you could have stayed, but the fact that you chose our property makes us feel that we have a duty to ensure you have a memorable stay. From your review, it is obvious that we were able to do just that. Please come again soon and we invite you to allow us to host you on your next vacation!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#9 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!