“Iberosto Maya…keeps on getting better.”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was my sixth trip to this wonderful complex, over the last 4 years. The first three visits were to the sister resort of Iberostar Paraiso Lindo with the next two being the Maya. These two resorts were similar in regards to privileges until about a year ago . As a result, the Maya is worth upgrading to.

When writing a review it’s always important to know a person’s experience and background. Personally, I travel 5-7 times a year to the Caribbean and Mexico (both coasts) usually to 4.5 and 5 star resorts. Higher end chains like Iberostar, RIU, Barceló, Gran Bahia, Melia and Sandals to name a few.

Below are a few comments on all areas of the resort.

ROOM
Even though we spent little time in the room itself, it was wonderful. Rooms are very large with all the comforts of home. Not only was the room and the sitting area large but they were very well decorated and maintained. In addition the bar fridge was full upon arrival and refilled with beverages on a daily basis. It contained a wide selection of beverages.

The room also had a decent size flatscreen tv (dvd player attached) with a decent selection of channels including CNN International, BBC World News, TNT. In addition, we also had a clock radio with a built in cd player.

The room had very large closets(2), with plenty of hangers and a nice size safe. Closet also contained an umbrella and a iron. Coffee maker with supplies was also available.

The bathroom was very large with a nice size walk-in shower and a very large tub with a built-in whirlpool.

Towels were plentiful and replaced daily.

Maid service was done early each morning, usually by 9am.

Each building has its own concierge desk which is mainly used for booking dinners but they can and will assist you with any questions and concerns.

In addition each building has a unique outdoor lobby that you simply can`t walk through without staring in amazement.

Unlike the Lindo, the Maya has elevators in each building.

LOBBIES/BARS
Perhaps the most famous bar in the Mayan Riviera, the famous snake bar.
This famous bar is inside a replica of the Mayan Pyramid of Kukulkan, the pyramid that`s found at Chichen Itza.

The entire lobby area is nothing short of amazing. It`s basically like walking thru a museum.

In the general area of the bar is a cigar lounge, café and plenty of shops.

BUFFETS
Even the pickiest eater can find something to eat.

The main indoor buffet is in the lobby area of the neighbouring Lindo. The buffet is split into two adjoining seating areas though one side is usually closed during off-season.

In addition to the main buffet, you have the option of two restauranst near the main pool area(one reserved for Maya guests) as well as the outdoor restaurant in the neighbouring Iberostar Paraiso Beach.

À LA CARTES
Even though the buffet would satisfy most people, it`s always nice to be pampered at one of the wonderful a la cartes. Be warned that seating is limited and not all restaurants are opened every night. Several seating’s are available each night.

The Steak House, Japanese and Cajun were my favourite three restaurants though I really enjoyed all the selections available.

Unlike many resorts you can go every night to one of these specialty restaurants.

Book early at your concierge desk.

POOLS
The complex has a countless number of pools in the 4 resorts that you are allowed to visit and enjoy. All pools are very large with a unique design.

In addition, several pools have a swim up bar. Pool activities usually end around lunch time. This can be very loud so it`s always a good idea to visit the beach in the morning and one of the pools in the afternoon.

Pools are well maintained but are not heated.

Attached to the main Lindo pool is the wave action pool that is mainly for children. A short walk away is the lazy river that is very lazy, suited for younger children.

BEACH
Wow. A large and wide beach with plenty of shade. The water can be very rough with a red flag being the norm depending on season. This trip the water was calmer with a daily yellow flag.

The beach is well maintained with a life guard tower that isn`t always manned.

The water can be very refreshing with few, if any rocks.

In addition to the great sand and water and shade you also have a very convenient beach bar and bbq area with burgers, fries, tacos, etc. and a second area with desserts.

In this area is also some of the activities including archery. Walk along the beach and you`re quickly in the beach area of the Iberostar Beach and Del Mar which has its own bar and bbq area. Since it has a different selection of food, it`s worth the small walk.

GROUNDS
The grounds are nothing short of amazing. This complex is a combo between a museum and high end beach resort.

It is well maintained. Since this is a very large complex, it`s easy to get lost and confused but it will never be boring.

GYM
The complex has a well-stocked gym for burning off those excessive calories that can easily be consumed throughout the day. In addition, bicycle tours are available to enjoy and become familiar with this large complex.

STAFF
The resort is well staffed with plenty of people throughout. They are very fluent in English and very helpful and friendly.

ENTERTAINMENT
Year over year the entertainment hasn’t changed much but I always thought it was well done with a wide selection of performances. The theater is very large so even during peak season you should find seating.

INTERNET
Free to visitors of the Maya and Lindo resorts. Wi-Fi is now throughout the resort, including the beach area.

CLIENTELE
Mainly English speaking tourists from Canada and the United States.

SHOPPING
In addition to the shops that are within all lobbies, there is also a shopping complex that is shared by all resorts in this complex. It is across from the Lindo lobby.

In addition to shops, you also have more free food options which includes hamburger, taco and crêpes restaurants. All indoors. A new bar is also available.

Local vendors will be near the lobbies of the Maya and Lindo but to a lesser extent than prior visits.

UPGRADES FROM LAST VISIT
My last visit was roughly 18 months ago. Mainly changes since them. These include: Free wi-fi throughout complex, including beach. Second BBQ area added on beach. Towel Hut on beach. The “islands” in the main pools now have sand with newly planted trees. New café in the Maya lobby with outdoor seating. Exclusive pool area restaurant for breakfast/lunch. New bar in shopping plaza. Free wi-fi in shopping plaza. Wicker beach chairs around pool with cushions (plastic chairs on Lindo side still).

CONCLUSION
Most people ask two major questions of any resort. Would you recommend it and would you go back. Easy answer is a big YES to both questions.

This is a very large complex and you have access to four resorts, all offer something to do during the day and night. Take advantage of the entire complex and not just your section of the complex.

Room Tip: Building 61, top floor facing pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
10  Thank James_Burlington
Write a ReviewReviews (5,151)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We were with a large group for spring break and if it wasn't for the good company we would have moved resorts. (we actually tried 1/2 way through the trip since the food was inedible but the Apple Rep. was less than helpful). I could type until my fingers cramp about all that is wrong with this resort but I won't waste that much time. Every negative review you read is correct. This resort is far from 5 stars or 5 Apples...I'd give it 3. The food is soooo bad that when you come home you will wonder how you just lost those 10 pounds at an all-inclusive. You either just choose not to eat the mystery food or you are in the medical center getting a shot to stop from throwing up. I got food poisoning (diagnosed by hotel doctor with paperwork to prove it) but the hotel refused to acknowledge they were responsible. The manager said "we have 3000 people here, no one else is sick"...haha everyone I knew felt sick, I just was bad enough to go get help. For how much you pay to stay here you don't get the value AT ALL and it's not just the food. Everything about this resort is sub par. Service-always looking for tips, Concierge- can't get you reservations for the specialty restaurants and they say they are full...but when you do get a reservation there are about 5 tables full at 1 time out of 40?? Towel cards...or pay $10 for lost towel (everyone takes yours anyway). Taco place in the mall...limiting the kids on how many tacos they can have (when parents are not around). Golf - kids under 18 can't drive a cart therefore can't play without adult.....but 3 days later they change their minds and let them play. No one knows the rules. The bartenders serve the 17 year olds at the lobby bar but the hotel won't let them into the club...(my kid is 18 but the the few 17 year olds just days shy of their B-day had problems...does that make sense when they where just drinking in the lobby?). If you needed a replacement wristband it cost $200, no exceptions. No coffee in lobby if you leave before 7am, waiting for airport bus, come on, how hard is that? My suggestion is to stay in Cancun at a great EP plan hotel and eat out at all the amazing restaurants they offer. You can even get a room overlooking the beach unlike this resort, it will cost you half the amount this resort steals from you. We left the property 2 times, Puerto Morales and Playa del Carmen...the best 2 nights of the trip. We all felt like we broke out of jail.
DO NOT STAY HERE!

4  Thank springbreaksrtrip
Reviewed 31 March 2014

the Paraiso Maya is a very nice Hotel. it is the upper end of the five hotels on the property. Only the Grand is on top (adults only no kids). The rooms were very big and clean. The food was a B-. Nothing terrible nothing great. the pools were nice. Wave pool could have used a little more waves. Only one swim up bar (could have used another). However, there was another pool bar at the opposite end. Plenty of chairs/lounges at the pool and beach. Beach sand is ok (not white smooth sand), water tends to be on the rough side since there is no natural reef to break the water. Yellow flags for 4 days and red for 3 days. People and staff were very nice however, not shy about looking for tips (not expecting this in an all-inclusive). When you check in, they give you one beach/pool towel cards per person for the stay. Very cheesy for a top flight place. if you lose the card or don't return the towel, $10 per card/towel. towels were ok but could use a better quality. Overall the experience was nice but would look at other locations and properties before returning here.

1  Thank 61Rick
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel. It is co-located with 4 other Iberostar hotels (Maya/ Lindo and Mar/Beach, so you can use all the restaurants (at least 12 + buffets), and all the facilities of both.

Observations:
- 2 large sets of swimming pools between the 4 hotels - both are very nice, but the Mar/Beach pools were larger and had a very nice waterfall feature and 'tranquility' area with actual 4 poster beds (matresses were suspended from the posts to swing a lttle) - not that we got to use them as always revserved before we got to the pool early.
Quick to walk between both pools, so you can mix and match easily.
- Bed rooms very nice in Maya - try to get a top floor as noise goes through the floors :(. Block 62 was very good position for all amenities.
- Styling of Maya and Lindo public areas were excellent - very classy. Mar/Beach more low key - a lot more open restaurants etc therefore no air con in those areas (but celing fans), plus more wildlife (flamingo's, swans, little turtles).
- Evening entertainment pretty good - external acts came in as well as in-house staff so pretty high standard. 2 theatres in the complex, so choice of entertainment.
- Staff - all excellent - all friendly, very good service.
We stayed mostly on the Maya/Lindo side as the complex is sizeable, however not a problem to walk round all.
- Beach very nice - soft white sand and very clean.
- You do need to reserve sunbeds early.
- Food - buffet restaurants all good -good choices. A la Carte restaurants all pretty good - recommend french ones, Japenese and Brazilian. Some a la carte is buffet starter and desert, but off the menu main.
- Generally deserts were dissappointing - as we find in all all-inclusives world wide - all looks very nice, but have no taste - especially chocolate ones.
- 30 mins shuttle to playa del carmen - lots of shops and a nice beach. Looks like it would be good to be there at night - lots of bars and restaurants.
- Chichen itza tour very good (but pricey)
- Xcaret - same (even more expensive).

Overall, i would definately recommend this hotel and this area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QueenTilly
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback. We appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers.

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about our resort. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel. We really appreciate your recognition for our facilities, our service and our delicious food.

On the other hand; we are sorry that you were dissatisfied with our desserts; we will pass your comment onto our Executive Chef in order to take your comment into account.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future and hopefully you will consider us your Mexican home away from home!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just returned home from a five night stay at the Iberostar. I cannot believe that this hotel is actually rated a five star from AAA. The rooms are a big disappointment and are totally in need of updating. The sheets were poor quality and definitely not comfortable. In addition, the hotel needs to have better television programming. You could hardly find a show to watch in English unless you wanted to watch old re runs of Friends! We were there during March Madness and could not find a sports station on anywhere! We also tried to rent a movie one evening; however, the remote that you needed to hit button "B" did not exist. As for the "Five Star" bathroom amenities, that was a joke also. Our bathroom light worked on the mirror, but not all the time and each time I turned the light on, it made a crackling noise. The in-room hairdryer worked, but really only blew cool air!

As for the food, it was definitely not worth the money. I will say that I had a good breakfast every morning and the guacamole was delicious. As for the reservations in the restaurants, that was a bust! I made reservations early from home and was confirmed for La Geisha. However, I then tried to make reservations two more evenings and never heard back from the hotel. Once we arrived, I tried to make more reservations and were told they were totally booked. Each night we noticed that none of the restaurants were full and that over half the tables were empty. Makes you feel like the "reservation" restaurants cost the Iberostar more money so they purposely lie and tell you they are booked. The one meal that was absolutely delicious was La Geisha, other than that the food was subpar.

Also, please, be careful when you are there. Two persons in our group had items stolen in the evening and they felt like there were sketchy people in the club.

As for check out, it would have been nice to check out with the concierge, but that was not an option as we were leaving early. I totally understand that as it was before 5 am. However, I tried to check out the evening before and was somewhat successful. I wanted to use my American Express, but was told that they accepted it, but I couldn't use it at that time with no reason. Thank God I also always carry my Visa or not sure what they would have done.

I will say that the beach and pool facilities were nice, but the saving of the chairs starting from the evening before is ridiculous. Also, it would have been nice had they had more than five inter tubes for the lazy river!

In all, thank God I was with a great group of people or I would have been out of there after the first 24 hours.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Kelly H
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We just returned from our first 5 days trip to the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. If I could, I would give this resort a 4.50, but since I can’t, I would go for a 4.
The experience was excellent. The food was amazing, the staff very nice and polite, most of the service great, the scenery beautiful, the facilities gorgeous. Our kids thought they have the best vacation of their life. The reason why I would not give a 5 is the small number of inconveniences. The Jacuzzi did not work, we called and no one showed up. The TV did not work well. The resort almost has no clock to tell time, even if certain functions are time limited (breakfast for example). The signs could be clearer as to where things are, and so on. Luckily, items not up to par were not important to us, although they could be to others. The bottom line for us is that when back, we are very glad we visited, had ample to tell others, the memories are great, and our kids had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: we were in building 61, close to the beach and to buffet. I would recommend it
1  Thank N Peter A

Dear guest,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts by choosing IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya for your most recent family vacation. We would also like to express our sincere appreciations to you for taking time to send us your comments on how your holidays went at our resort.

At IBEROSTAR we work hard every day in order to make our guests’ stay the best, and learning that you have enjoyed our facilities and services makes us feel very proud.

Please let us mention that all guests’ comments are our priority as they provide us with information that helps us continue improving our services. We are sorry you were dissatisfied with your accommodations. Our maintenance department works on a maintenance roll throughout the year. However the issues you encountered are clearly not what we want our guests to experience; this information will be sent to our Maintenance Manager and our Housekeeping department for their immediate consideration.

We genuinely hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again in the near future and as such, look forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Arrived home yesterday from a one week stay at IBM. My review reads just like the one titled "not worth the $". Ditto on everything they said. This is my 3rd time at this resort, 5th time in Riv Maya. Past visits to IPM in 2004 and 2006. What a huge disappointment! Not at all up to the same quality it was then. Same problems others listed- maintenance (patio door lock broken/ clock radio not working), service (they were working hard but understaffed), pools need refurbishing and cleaning, teen frat party, food quality just ok, maid service good just never enough towels in room..or soap or TP or kleenex, bed linen (bed skirt, coverlet, and patio chair cushion all were stained, worn and some with holes), saw one show which was the same as in 2004, stolen towels, stolen chairs, etc!

We did like the Japanese restuarant, Le Geisha. Pool bar by the wave pool has great fruit drinks, smoothies. Jet ski and kayak at the beach was fun. Room set up was good. The entry to the room and fans running in bedroom 24/7 buffered most of the noise outside our room since our room was next to the concierge desk and that is open from 8am-10pm, sometimes later.

Be careful when booking excursions with Lomas/Funjet rep at IPM. Again have booked with them many times in the past without problems but we had problems with both of our excursions, overcharging and not telling us about hidden fees on the trips. Went to Chichen Itza and after taking a van from resort to get to the bus they said we missed the pick up and would catch up to them on the highway. So we were let out on the side of the road to wait for our bus for 45 min. Paid extra for express trip which was 7am-7pm...yes, that was the express trip...and we got back to resort at 9:30pm which was orginally billed as a cheaper option. Talked to the rep about hidden fees and she said sorry i forgot to tell you. We then mentioned extra charge on trip for drinks we prepaid and she said we could get a refund. Showed up the next day to get the refund and she said sorry I don't have it, come back tomorrow. Well that day was checkout day and we didn't have time to see her before we left so no refund.

Talk to the concierge if you need items for your room such as more towels, etc. You will get them faster. Also you can email the resort ahead to make speciality restuarant reservations but don't forget to bring a copy of the email because the said they had no record of our res. in their system but finally gave me the reservations on the email print out...and yes many empty tables when they say there are no more reservations avaialble. You can check out with the concierge the day you leave which was convenient. Found that out after we tried to check out at the front desk. Leave your towel keys and room keys with the concierge and they will give you your transport ticket for return to the airport.

Too many issues with this resort. Not going back and don't recommend.

2  Thank travelplanner2010_10

Dear guest,

On behalf of IBEROSTAR team and Managers we would like to thank you for your valuable comments about our resort.

We sincerely regret that the circumstances mentioned affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel. You may however rest assured that we will be sharing your remarks to all of the respective department Managers and we will look into it to ensure that corrective measures are taken and that everyone is working up to standard to provide our guests with excellent experiences and top quality services and attentions.

In regard to your comments about our restaurants availability we would like to say that sometimes our guests do not show up at the restaurants without any previous cancelation, however we cannot re-use those tables until 15 – 20 minutes after the reservation time, when it will become a cancelation. Restaurants are not completely full so that our guests have a relaxing experience and are able to enjoy their dishes made from scratch. You can be certain we are working hard to make it easier and more effective for all our customers.

External companies, such as your tour operator are independent of IBEROSTAR and therefore they have their own policies, however it is of our concern to ensure that quality services are delivered to our mutual customers to achieve their complete satisfaction. We will look into it to make sure our guests receive a great service.

Please accept our apologies. We hope to have the opportunity to offer you our hospitality again at IBEROSTAR to prove to you our commitment with our guests’ satisfaction and to restore your confidence in our brand.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!