“Absolutely Amazing Vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Lombard, Illinois
“Absolutely Amazing Vacation”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I really have nothing poor to say about the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. I vacationed there from Saturday - Saturday with my family and had nothing but a positive and amazing experience.

To Brief:
The food was delicious. We did the buffet each morning and loved it. So much variety! Lunch was swapped from the beach grill and the buffet. Both delicious. Dinners we did the A La Carte most nights, buffet once. Wasn't thrilled with the dinner buffet (but I am also not a buffet person). The A La Carte dinners were amazing. My favorites were the Japanese, French Steakhouse & E'toile. But honestly, all were great!! We all ordered different things and tried everyone's. There were literally no complaints. The drinks were also great and refreshing. For you Red Wine drinkers, I recommend the Vino Loz versus the Merlot. (you have to ask for it, but it is included).

The Rooms, hospitality, cleanliness etc were all fantastic. Yes, yes, the beds are hard but I'm used to a plush pillow-top bed so I can't really complain. This didn't have any effect on my vacation considering I was there to relax anyway and spent most of my time by the waterside.

The staff was nothing short of excellent. From the concierge, to the cleaning staff, to the waitstaff to the entertainment team. So incredibly friendly and really made our trip! The activities and shows they had were also fantastic. I was part of one of the night shows and they really made you feel comfortable on stage and their goal was to make sure you were having fun. I couldn't ask for better service.

Pool, Beach etc were also all beautiful. We did wake up early to reserve the chairs we wanted but this was nothing new to us as we have traveled to several all-inclusives before and they are all the same. If you want a good chair, you're going to have to claim it. The nice thing is this hotel has a LOT of seating so if you don't want to wake up early, you don't have to! We just liked being in a certain spot so we did.

All in all, I can't say enough good things about our trip. The ONLY thing I will mention is that they do not tell you that if you want to float on the Lazy River, that you need to bring your own tube or floatation device. They do not provide them. We were kind enough on our first day to meet a couple that was leaving the next morning and gave us their tubes. We did the same thing on our last day and passed them onto a couple of kids sad they didn't bring any. Amazing Trip. Will be back!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

6 Thank Kristen M G
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear guest,

It is truly an honor to read such rewarding review. Our mission is to make every stay as close to perfection as possible by exceeding our guests’ expectations at all times and it is a pleasure to know our staff members continue to accomplish this goal day by day. From the moment of your arrival and throughout your stay, we are glad to know we were able to provide a relaxing and pampering holiday.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort and provide you with another memorable experience.
Kind regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (948)
  • Polish first
Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at the Maya April 25th - May 3rd and took a group of 40 with us. I was a bit hesitant before we left, as there were several negative reviews on here, but we loved it! We've traveled quite a bit and thought it was the nicest resort we've been to yet.

The food was delicious! If you are heading there, you must visit the Japanese restaurant and the steakhouse. Our wedding dinner reception was held at the steakhouse and all our guests repeatedly complimented the food that evening. Our wedding cake was a strawberry cheesecake and was hands down the best cake we've ever had!

The resort was clean and the staff went above and beyond. The beds are a bit hard and the rooms very humid, which is why I only gave those two areas 4 stars, but other than that, all of our guests and ourselves thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Lili, the wedding planner was great and everything was perfect. The night before we left, we had dinner on the beach complete with filet mignon and lobster, which was excellent. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 362jodib
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. Your fabulous wedding experience may encourage other travelers to choose us as their vacation destination in Mexico.

We are happy that you have enjoyed our Japanese and steakhouse restaurants; our Executive Chef will be glad to know that you were satisfied with our food.

We are glad to know our staff members went out of their way to provide you a memorable stay; especially Mrs. Lilly who will be recognized for her attentiveness and outstanding service.

We have taken note about your observations and we will follow it up. Thank you very much for trusting us, we hope to see you again in our resort in the near future and serve you with the fantastic service that you and your family deserve.

Best regards,

Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our 3rd trip to Mexico but our first time at an Iberostar - and we will definitely be back!!

I traveled with my two sons (7 and 11). We were upgraded from the Lindo. Our room was in building 63. Downside - I shared the king sized bed with my 11 year old and my 7 year old slept on the couch. They didn't care, and I didn't either!! We were only in the room to change before dinner and to sleep.

My boys were busy all day long using the different pools and lazy river. I am only disappointed that people are such slobs and leave trash along the lazy river on the walls instead of putting it in one of the many bins that are around the property.

The food was OUTSTANDING! We ate at El Rancho and the Italian place (the Lindo buffet building). We tried all the buffets for the Lindo and Mayo and they were fantastic. Everything was clean and organized. My boys loved that there was an icecream place with a great view of the pools. They snuck up there before and after lunch to have a treat (or two).

The grounds were constantly being groomed and pools were cleaned each night. We thought they were beautiful!

As I mentioned, our room was perfect for us - we were in Mexico to enjoy the outdoors, not sit in our room. If someone from the staff sees this, you might look into the ceiling fan in 6301 and the jets in the whirlpool too.

We were disappointed with the entertainment. It doesn't start until about 9:30 - and that's pretty late for kids who have been playing all day. We REALLY wanted to see the Magic show. We got to the theater at 8:15 and watched all the kids entertainment. Some staff stopped by to make sure we were enjoying our time and assured us the magician would be out soon. We sat through an adult game, awards, singing and finally some guy playing a bow and then doing cabuera. At 9:45 my boys could not keep their eyes open so we had to leave.

On Wednesday and Saturday, the vendors were on site. I think it's fun to bargain with them. There are a couple of shops by the wave pool too - pottery, purses and jewelry.

Bring your own raft from Target or Walmart - they are $20+ at the shop by the wave pool!!

The 17 stores were pretty cool too. It's neat that there is a shopping plaza on site. We didn't eat at any of the places there, so I'm not sure if they were part of the all-inclusive.

We spent one day at Xcaret . . . but you need more time than that to explore everything. We missed so much stuff!! We did the ray and shark encounter for the kids and went snorkeling, but we could've just walked around all day exploring - except that it is soooooo hot. And the underground river is so crowded - people pushing and kicking - it was kind of aggravating.

We had a great experience at Iberostar and I am looking forward to going back. It was as close to perfect as a vacation can get! I was happy, they boys were entertained, we got tan and we were relaxed.

The Iberostar team does a great job!!

Room Tip: Building 63 was centrally located and has it's own private pool!
2 Thank Pia C
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at IBEROSTAR and for allowing us to host your previous stay in Mexico.

Our mission is to make every stay as close to perfection as possible ensuring our guest with the most relaxing experience. We are pleased to know you were truly pleased with your stay.

Please allow us to inform you, we have passed your comments regarding our shows time to our Entertainment manager; our guests’ opinions are very important for us and it is thanks to your valuable feedback that we continue to improve and provide a great service.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our 1st visit to this resort. It went above our expectations and we enjoyed every single day. The only negative was it wasn't long enough. We stayed for 5 nights, but needed more. Our next trip will be for 7 nights.
1. The resort is very large and beautiful. No matter where you are the grounds are very clean. The art work, statues, bridges, arches, etc were all amazing
2. You can walk a lot, but we found if we ask for a ride in a golf cart the most we had to wait was 5 minutes.
3. The food was incredible! We ate at the buffets for breakfast. (the Marina is the best for this) had dinner at different ala carte restaurants each evening. Made reservations by e-mail before we arrived for the 1st 2 nights, then made the reservations for the other nights once we arrived with no problems. Our favorite was the Seafood restaurant. Our waiter brought our 3 teenage boys (ages 18 & 16) two dinners which they really enjoyed.
4. Rooms are very spacious. We had requested bldg. 60 on the 3rd floor when we made the original reservation but this wasn't available upon check in. We were placed in bldg. 61 on the 2nd floor. I must say that it was very, very quite. We loved this. But if you are unfortunate to have load neighbors this could be a problem. Housekeeping kept our adjoining rooms very clean and upon arrival we requested a cot in each room which was done in a very timely manner. Also I would recommend requesting a mattress pad for the beds. This was done upon check in and the bed was extremely comfortable. The 1st day we realized we couldn't put the air conditioning lower then 22 (75 degrees) We called and this was quickly fixed so we could adjust this lower for the rest of the vacation.
5. Staff is always very polite and eager to help you with whatever you need. We did take a pack of 1's with us and I would recommend this. I realize that tipping is included in the price of an all inclusive, but we found that that all the employees work very hard to make your stay enjoyable and they really don't make that much $$. A few dollars here and there can really make a difference.
6. As far as the drinks, some can be watered down, but if you are specific with what you would like they will be glad to make this for you. I would suggest to management to possibly look at some entertainment in the music bar. Our bartender Jose was absolutely great, but I felt bad for him because there really wasn't anyone in here. The place is huge and very nice, but completely empty each time we would go in. I think it could really be a great place if some entertainment would be in there each evening. The disco opens up late, so possible have something in the music bar earlier in the evening. Just hard to believe that the music bar had no music or guests.
7. As for the Airport transportation, I would strongly recommend USA Transfers. They were great! Very professional, on time and made everything very easy. We also used them for a day trip to Xplor. The tickets were cheaper through USA Transfers and we had our own driver. All the drivers that we had were great. Felix and Sal were very knowledgeable and spoke English very well.

We had a wonderful vacation and are already talking about going back next year. Thank you to everyone at the Iberostar Maya!! See you next year!

Room Tip: Bldg. 61 was close to the main pool area where the action is and a very short walk to the beach.
2 Thank Patti S
Dear guest,

We are very glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay in our resort, and that you and your family enjoyed each moment of your holidays.

At IBEROSTAR we work very hard every day in order to provide our guest the best of experiences, therefore, we are very proud to know that our grounds, food, and our service fulfilled your expectations.

We will congratulate our staff for the excellent service provided during your visit.

Once again, thank you very much for your constructive comments; we look forward to hosting your next year holidays!

Toronto
Reviewed 2 May 2014

At our second day at the hotel, we witnesed a hotel employee messing with our bags at the pool and my daughter's photo camera went missing.
We contacted the hotel security, and were told that it was going to be investigated. The next day, our concierge told us that it was our own stupidity to let the bags unatended. To this, I replied that the bags were not unatended, as we caught the employee messing with them, and most important thing is that we were at the swimming pool area. Are we supposed to take the bags into the water?we never received a satisfactory answer, even when we recognize this employee working at other area of the complex. We were promised a restitucion money and it was never done. The attittude of the hotel's representatives left a very bad impression for the seven people in our family

7 Thank tweety011
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya staff and Managers, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us.

We would like to assure you that every concern presented by our guests is important and is taken seriously, as we know how this type of experiences can spoil a vacation. Unfortunately this occurred in a public area, and in spite of the fact that our team did their best to find it, this was unsuccessful. We advise our guests to use their room's safe deposit box, free of charge, so that you can relax during your holiday.

We would also like to mention that we have a security control through which every employee passes when entering and leaving the hotel complex. This includes checking handbags and the use of metal detectors, which guarantee that no electronic devices enter or leave the resort.

Once again, we would like to express our sincerest apologies and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you and your family back in our resort for a better experience.

IBEROSTAR México
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was our first family vacation to Mexico and we were very happy with what this resort had to offer. It was very clean, the food variety and quality was very good and the staff worked their tails off to make sure our stay was a positive experience. There were plenty of activities for the kids to take part in to keep them occupied, but most often we kept ourselves busy in the pool and ocean. We had a first floor room, and based on negative prior reviews we didn't necessarily come into the resort with a positive attitude about the location of the room. Our room was amazingly quiet and comfortable. The beds could have been a little more comfortable however. My only complaint for the week was that if you wanted a poolside lounge chair you had to get up prior to the crack of dawn to reserve one even though the signs clearly stated that reserving chairs was forbidden.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank Rhesus72
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us and that you were able to take advantage of the activities as well as the other facilities offered in our resort.

In regard to your comment about our chairs, please know that our management is analyzing it with our security department in order to reinforce this rule and solve this inconvenient.

We genuinely hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again in the near future and as such, look forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Boston
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My family and I have been to this property four times now, so I won't go into details on it (please search for my other reviews). I will focus instead on what has changed, both for the good and for the bad. Before doing that, I thought a bit on why we keep going back. Yes, the resort is gorgeous, the pool is gigantic, and the beach is beautiful. But that's pretty much the case throughout the Mayan Riviera. We have been to several other all-inclusives, including Paradisus, Dreams, and other Iberostars. We keep going back to this one because, essentially, it minimizes the small irritations that can spoil a vacation. For example, at other resorts making dinner reservations can be a pain. They steer you towards the buffet, or they limit how many you can make, or you have to get up early and stand in line. Here, you simply see the concierge in your building, and he or she can set you up with a week's worth of dinner reservations the day you arrive. Other resorts nickel and dime you for stuff: safe in the room, wifi, etc. Here, it's all included. I hate coming back from the beach and not having hot water when everyone is trying to shower. It has never happened to me here. Those are just some examples - there are others. None of them are huge deals, but, taken together, can make the difference between a great, relaxing vacation with my kids, or just an ok one.

One note about food: I've seen reviews here that say the food was "inedible". I simply cannot see how anyone can say that. For breakfast, go up to the Seafood Restaurant which is set up for breakfast for the Maya guests. Great buffet, sit-down service for drinks and coffee, as well as a menu if you want. They have a similar set up at the restaurant near the pool, but the buffet choices aren't as extensive. For lunch, the food at the buffets range from very good (at the buffet near the lobby), go good (at the buffets around the pool), to beach barbecue (on the beach). Except for the last one of these, the menu varied somewhat from day to day, with a few staples always to be found. Plenty of salads and desserts, though we tended to skip the latter for an ice cream cone in the parlor above the pool bar. For dinner, we went to all the sit down restaurants except for the Japanese. We've been there in the past and it's essentially a Benihanas. I don't like that type of food, so we skipped. The others where very good (seafood and steak house), to excellent (the two french restaurants). The cajun was was the surprise of the week. I loved it, especially their coconut shrimp appetizers. The Mexican - well, I'll talk about that one later. A couple of tips: email them before you arrive and get a reservation for the first day or two of your stay, or if you have a specific day and time for a special day (birthday, anniversary, etc). Once you get there, go down to see the concierge and get reservations for the rest of the week.

Some changes since my last review:

1. Wifi throughout the resort. You get an access code for two devices when you check in, and it works in your room and lobbies (didn't check the pool area). I must admit, this is a two edged sword. I kind of liked being disconnected from the world, and work, for a week. Still, it's nice to have.

2. Upgrade in pool chairs. The old chairs are looking a bit raggedy. They seem to be changing them over to much nicer ones. They're about half-way there.

3. Starbucks-like coffee place right off the pyramid bar. Not sure if this was here before, but we just noticed it on this trip. Great place to grab a latte and pastry when you don't feel like a full breakfast.

Things that could still be improved:

1. Mexican Restaurant. To me, this is almost unbelievable. The resort is in one of the culinary jewels of Mexico, the Yucatan peninsula, and the Mexican food they serve at their sit-down restaurant in the evening would be at home at an airport food court. They could pull any of the ladies that they have working at the resort into the kitchen and I'm sure they could cook up a cochinita pibil that would blow you away. Please, please, improve this. Go to the Almendros in Merida or Cancun, copy their menu. Seeing nachos with imitation cheese sauce is extremely depressing in the middle of Mexico.

2. Towels. I have said this before. People pay a lot of money to stay at the Paraiso Maya, as opposed to the other hotels. Is it really necessary to treat them as if they're going to steal some used, threadbare, blue towels? For goodness sakes, just drop off four blue towels every day when you clean the room. I really don't think anyone is taking them home. The ritual of lining up to trade in your towels every day is one that I think the Maya guests should be allowed to skip.

3. Rooms. While the resort is visually stunning, and very well maintained, the rooms are indeed showing their age. Folks have complained about fixtures not working, leaky showers, etc. We saw some of that as well. The room furnishings desperately need to be refreshed. The TV is still a vacuum tube model. Not that I go here to watch TV, but when you walk into a room and see a TV you wouldn't find in a Motel 6, it sets the wrong tone.

These three things, however, where minor, and did not diminish in any way our enjoyment of the week we spent there. I would like to especially call out the operation at the scuba shack, run by Dressel Divers. They do a great job, and I would encourage everyone to check them out.

Room Tip: Building 60 is closest to the beach. 61 and 62 have easy access to the pool. I would recommend thi...
8 Thank publicpersona31
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for allowing us the honor to host your holidays once again. Our mission is to make every stay as close to perfection as possible ensuring our guests with the ultimate relaxing experience.

We are extremely proud to know that we have contributed to our guests' happiness. Thank you for this feedback.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition for our service. We have taken notes of your recommendations and we will follow this up.

We appreciate your loyalty to our resort and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel to pamper you with the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Warm Regards,

Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!