“Iberostar Paraiso Maya”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We just got back from the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Overall I think it was a great trip and would definitely recommend. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are fantastic and the beach is stunning. The hotel staff was very friendly and our room was large and comfortable. My biggest comments were about the food and drinks. First of all the food ranged from mediocre to inedible. None of it was really very good and all was of very low quality. If Iberostar is reading this try making half the food and make it twice as good. Stick to the buffets as the more choices give you more chances to get something worth while. Believe me my standards are not that high but the food was worse than a TGIF. The other issue I had was with the drinks. I swear that there was no alcohol in any of them. I actually saw a bartender swig a bottle of vodka when he was thirsty like a bottle of water....I think it was water. We drank four drinks in a row and didn't even feel a thing....Nice taste but very watered down. I would suggest taking excursions and go to Playa de Carmen for a decent meal. With that lots of fun with plenty to do..great for kids and large groups.

Room Tip: Tip the staff for better service
2  Thank andy v
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear guest,

Let us begin by extending our sincere gratitude for not only choosing our resort to spend your vacation but also for posting this review on TripAdvisor. . It is satisfying to know that as a team we were able to meet your expectations and that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds.

Thank you for your constructive comments, this feedback will help us to improve the service provided to our guests.

We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations regarding our food and beverages. Our Executive Chef and his team work with fresh and quality products, and is always looking to vary the different options offered at our buffets and a la Carte restaurants. Your comments will be forwarded to him, and all our guests' feedback is, so that he can adapt the offerings as much as possible to our guests' needs.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to be able to offer you our hospitality again at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

They are mainly accurate. We are on our last day at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya and I'm mostly ready to just go home. I try to take bad reviews with a grain of salt and I'm going to try to stay fair with this review. There are some great aspects to this resort, the beach is beautiful, the property is ok, seems like it was once amazing but just has not been kept up with, broken tiles, areas fixed with tape, pools are nice, yes, the water is not cool, but what do you expect for Mexico in August... In general the resort has a very "Spring Break" party atmosphere, constant house music playing at the main pool and A LOT of heavy drinking in the main pool, also, all the pools are pretty close together so it's tough to get away from this atmoshpere. Biggest complaints are probably the food and the mattresses. Was VERY VERY disappointed by the dinner reservation system that this resort seems to play...we tried to make reservations on our first full day here for different places and almost all were not available or had only one opening on Friday night(5 days later) at 9pm. After REALLY pushing the "concierge" we got some different reservations but not exactly what we wanted. How can somewhere advertise that it is ALL-INCLUSIVE but then tell you that you can't eat at the restaurants advertised, seems like a weird scam to me, escpecially since every place we did go to dinner was half empty. Seems like they should lower the cost of staying here and just call it what it is, a room with unlimited weak drinks and a few buffets. The lobby and Lindo buffets were probably the only ok dining experiences we had. The beds in the rooms we have are sooo uncomfortable, have had a sore back from it since day 2, we asked for a mattress topper on day 1 and has helped but, barely...cannot wait to be home and in a comfortable bed. Don't get me wrong, we are with a group of 16 and we've had a great time but more about just being on the beach in Mexico and together than anything added by the resort. One last note...we had a photo session done with the whole family, thought we'd be able to purchase just a disc of all our photos for like 150-200 dollars but turns out it is $17.00 PER PICTURE for one picture on a disc...

I'd say this place overall is just ok, definitely not worth the money. It's an all inclusive so I understand the foods never really that great and drinks are pretty weak , but there are sooooo many other places to stay in the area, don't choose this one! I feel bad if anyone was really saving up to spend their money on this place.

Room Tip: We liked being in the 63-64 block of rooms, is kinda central too get everywhere
5  Thank Elizabeth D
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear guest,

First, we would like to thank you for sharing with us your honest review about your experience at our resort.

At IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya, we offer a great variety of amenities that are part of the all-inclusive package, such as 7 options of restaurants a la carte: Mexican, Cajun, steakhouse, seafood, gourmet, Japanese, Mediterranean and one main buffet with different themes each night: international, oriental, Spanish, Caribbean, Italian, etc. For breakfast and lunch, we have two restaurants with many options for our guests and also we have a snack bar on the beach as well as access to our sister hotel's restaurants (Lindo, Mar and Beach), an a la carte restaurant for breakfast and lunch, the baby kitchen, free WIFI in lobby and rooms, private swimming pool, access to spa wet area for adults only, and other services that are in the facility Paraiso Maya and the shopping centre in the hotel complex (with food establishments also included for our guests).

So we are really saddened for not having met your expectations. We would like to offer you our sincere apologies for any inconvenience described in your review.

Due to their exclusivity, our restaurants a la carte are very popular in our resort. Please let us inform you that we are working on making our restaurants reservation system easier and more efficient for our guests. Moreover, we usually recommend our guests to make their first three dinner reservations two weeks prior to the arrival in order to be able to dine at the time of your convenience. The aim of the reservations is to allow you to have a more exclusive experience where dishes are made to order and our customers will not suffer delays or are rushed to finish their meal.

We offer an apology about the issues described at our pools. The different Departments involved, gather efforts to maintain a good ambience where our guests can have fun or relax. We have certain pools where our Star Friends invite our guests to participate in different activities but we also have private pools where you can escape to feel relaxed and comfortable. Our property is thankfully very large and this allows for the coexistence of different atmospheres. Please rest assured though, that this will be looked into.

In regard to your comment about our beds, we are happy to inform you that attending to our guests’ comments we are slowly replacing our mattresses for softer ones that include a pillow top.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future in order to restore your confidence in our brand and change your recent impressions for more favorable ones.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I actually saw a plaque on a wall from TripAdvisor that Playa Paraiso won their 2012 and 2013 Best Resort Award---they are correct . We had a fantastic first trip to Cancun. The food was great, the variety was amazing. An amazing pool, a short walk to the beach, peacocks and coatis on the resort, lots of free activities for kids and adults, shopping district, and a small nightclub. Get to the pool early to get a good chair. I do not speak Spanish but everyone's English on site was great. We'd recommend this resort to any and all our friends and go back in a heartbeat.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
3  Thank Anonymous733333
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We just arrived home last night from a week's vacation. I would like to start by saying that the property is amazing. It truly feels like you are in paradise. The grounds are well maintained and there are many exotic animals roaming around. There are four separate resorts and a beautiful outdoor shopping center confined within the walls of this huge and very tropical property. A lot of thought and attention went into the design of the buildings and the decor throughout.

Pools
If you are staying at the Paraiso Maya, you have access to utilize two of the other resorts (Lindo and del Mar) which are relatively close. There is a huge free form pool between the Maya and Lindo which is beautiful and then another beautiful free form pool at the del Mar. There is also a wave pool at the Maya which we really didn't see working while we were there and a lazy river. (note: they do not supply tubes or other floating devices so you can bring your own or buy them from various shops on the property.) There are also other smaller pools scattered around the property. There are several playgrounds with water slides and other climbing devices set into shallow pools for younger children. This is definitely a family oriented resort.

We spent most of the time at the Maya pool. They had water aerobics twice a day and usually one sporty type competition in the main pool near the swim up bar which occurred later in the day. My family felt that they could have added a few more activities in the main pool during the day because it did get boring at times. I know there was water polo in another pool at least once a day as well as beach volley ball. (Note: People do reserve chairs by the pool. My suggestion is if you want to be by the main section of the pool, keep your towels from the day before and go out early (before 7:00 a.m.) to reserve seats.

The beach
The beach was very nice. There were lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. A small buffet daily with basically the same foods on it. There is a bar and a cocktail waitress working on the beach. There are lots of water activities some included and some for purchase. My one complaint was in certain areas in the water there were big rocks you couldn't see but would find when you hurt yourself stepping on or kicking them and there was lots of seaweed which the employees worked hard to clean up once it was washed up onto the shore. If you moved out far enough, you avoided all that.

The food
This is our second time staying at the Paraiso Maya. We came like 5 or 6 years ago. If I recall correctly, I believe we liked the food a lot better the first time. The buffets were fair. We did find certain dishes on the buffets that were very good. While there was a lot to choose from, they did not vary the buffets too much from day to day. My daughter is a vegetarian and while there was a good selection of dishes for vegetarians, they do not put out enough serving utensils and therefore people were using the same utensils between meat and vegetable dishes. For some vegetarians that might not be a problem, but it was a big issue for my daughter and she would barely eat anything. Of the specialty restaurants, we liked the steak house and the japanese restaurants best. You need to make reservations ahead of time for certain restaurants and if you want a certain time frame, try to make the reservations in advance the first day you arrive, otherwise you might get a very early time slot or very late.

The rooms
We are a family of four and we came with two teenagers 16 and 18. We had a great set up. We had two adjoining suites. We had a king size bed and my kids had two full size beds. We had two bathrooms to share which helps a lot when everyone comes back to get ready for dinner. The suites were roomy, well air-conditioned with two ceiling fans in each room. We had plenty of closet space and lots of water bottles with two refrigerators. The last time we came the kids were younger and we shared one room which worked out fine at that time. We did have some issues with the power going out in the rooms but it was resolved quickly. The beds were a little on the hard side, but that didn't bother me or the kids as much as it did my husband. Our rooms were located in the buildings next to the main lobby. It was a little hike to the pool and beach, but I didn't mind the exercise.

The service
The employees that work on the resort are absolutely wonderful. They were all very friendly and made a point of saying hello every time. No matter what they were in the middle of doing, most of them would stop and greet you with a friendly smile. If you needed anything for the room, the front desk was very accommodating any time of the day you called. We thought the resort was a little understaffed because the service in the restaurants wasn't always up to par. There were very few wait staff trying to take care of too many tables at once and therefore sometimes would forget to bring something you requested. I was able to deal with that because the staff was so pleasant and it was easy to understand they were spread to thin.

The nightly entertainment was good enough. Not the best but by far not the worst. I think I was just too drained from being in the sun all day and couldn't appreciate the shows because I was very tired.

They do have a gym on the property. It was descent. The equipment is a little dated but sufficient. They had some cardio equipment and lots of weights. I like to run so I would jog around the property which was quite incredible because of the scenery and then utilize the weights at the gym later on. They also have a full service spa located in the shopping center which was very nice and they do massages near the beach.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort. I usually don't go back to the same resort more than one time, but I remembered really liking it and I still feel the same way despite the few negative things I commented about.

Room Tip: I believe yellow buildings are centrally located between pools and main lobby where most of the rest...
1  Thank jgaffrey
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation.

Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned, we are happy to know that you enjoyed our beautiful facilities, our friendly staff and our marvelous Caribbean beach.

We have taken note of your comments about the gym equipment and buffet, be sure that we will analyze them with each department involved. Thank you for your feedback!

We look forward to having the opportunity of hosting you once again in the near future!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The resort was beautiful and the ability to share the connected resorts was convienent. Only had two small problems our hair dryer was broken and the tv remote was dead. However they were repaired promptly. All the staff were friendly and gracious to our lack of spanish language. The beach was wonderful. The drinks were okay. Each place made them so differently. Our adult kids loved the kayak and beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

We appreciate your sharing your opinion about the great experience at our IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

We are very happy to read that your stay was very pleasant and that you enjoyed our personalized service. It is also lovely to know that your children enjoyed the beauty of our beach.

At IBEROSTAR, we are committed to providing services, facilities and an ambiance that satisfy our guests’ needs and expectations, so we are thrilled that we achieved our goal with you.

We are confident that you will be returning to our beautiful resort IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya in the future and as such, we look forward to your next visit!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and two teenagers traveled here during the 1st week of August 2014. We had an all inclusive stay with private car pick-up to and from the airport. The arrival and greeting at the airport was first rate. We checked in with no hesitation and greeted with a cold drink!. Our luggage was delivered a few minutes after we got to our room.. which was nicely appointed... 1 complaint, is that the room air conditioner was not working.. I called and the front desk said it was controlled by the resort and could not be lowered... I let it slide until after dinner.. if it was possible, we think the room was even hotter!.. we slept with the ceiling fans on without air condtioning.. not good since it was like 85 in our room..

The next day, I asked again about the air conditioner, turned out it was out for a couple of other buildings as well.. it was fixed for the rest of our stay!..

The all inclusive was nice, but keep in mind that all inclusive also means watered down.. as in drinks... The drinks were cold, but short on alcohol.. youre going to need to ask to make your drinks stronger..
The all inclusive food is nice, but again remember, when the resort has to feed that many people at the same time, quality will suffer... The food was good, just some items may have been left out a while...also bring alot of singles and fives for tips.. The front desk is reluctant to make change, US for US...
The resort's accommodations were great, the pool was clean, and public areas were well manicured. Access to the beach was good as well, lounge chairs never a problem.

Overall, we enjoyed our time there and will return again in the future. Very friendly staff, and overall well appointed.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,

On behalf of all our staff members, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort, IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your accommodations and that our friendly staff made you feel like at home.

However, we are sorry about the issue you had with the air conditioner; as you noticed, our Maintenance department is always happy to assist our guests when they present concerns. This will be forwarded to Management.

Likewise, we are surprised to hear about your comment on the currency exchange since we do provide this service. Our guests are indeed able to change US dollars to Mexican pesos at the Front Desk. The staff request only a photocopy of the ID to comply with the Law. In any case, we will pass your review onto our Front Desk Manager to ensure we inform about this service.

Once again, thank you very much for trusting us. We are confident that you will be soon with us again! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Was extremely disappointed with this hotel. Request for centrally located rooms was not honored.We were with our adult children and their four children.We were not placed in adjacent rooms. Our room was furthest away from walkway although we requested good location and handicap access. Room had no handicap accommodations . Soap dispenser in shower leaked making shower slippery. I fell after showering because floor was slippery and hit my head on sink.Room was dirty. Sheets had stains,obvious, and had to be changed. Child sleeping on pullout needed bedding and it was brought to the room and handed to me so I could make his bed. Reservations were required for restaurants and some people were told there was no availability but when you got to the restaurant it was half empty. I think they must want people to go to the buffets. Waiters were inattentive. Try to get coffee after dinner! French restaurant was disgusting. I think the lobster was stuffed with cat food. Lazy river doesn't,flow and this all inclusive had no tubes to ride the river. We were eight people and asked for eigh brownies to be sent to one room because we were all staying together and we're told only four to a room,another all inclusive feature. No liquor in rooms.Snack in room was two packages of peanuts. I could go on....if you can't go to pool bar and chose to sit by pool no one comes by to offer a drink. We needed transportation to get around . Club cars were few and far between and no one in a restaurant knew how to call for one.You had to walk to the lobby near the restaurant .If we could do this walking we wouldn't have needed the car.Did an all inclusive at Hard Rock Dominican and it was paradise compared to this. We cruise several times a year and even cheapest cruise we've ever taken was better than this. Read manager's response to one of the reviews and he validated how poorly staff is trained and that hotel needs repairs. This response makes believe I should get a refund.I love that the manager signs "the manager" , no name. My advise don,t go!

4  Thank Ellen E

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your taking the time to share your opinion with other travelers.

We understand your disagreement about your room request and we are sorry about that. We receive room requests in advance from many guests, but these cannot be guaranteed in advance, as they are subject to availability upon your arrival. Our Front Desk team always do their best to grant those requests whenever possible, but during peak periods this is harder.

We offer an apology if you were dissatisfied with your accommodations; this case caught our attention because our Maintenance and our Housekeeping Department supervise the state of our rooms before their delivery to our guests. Please be sure that we will review this with the Departments concerned.

We are saddened that the French restaurant was not up to your expectations in terms of food and service. Our Executive Chef works tirelessly to offer the best to our guests.

Regarding your comments about our dinner reservations, we would like to mention that our restaurants have a limited quota so that our guests can have a relaxing experience with fresh dishes made from scratch. When we get no shows, we offer approximately a 15 minute grace period before we fill those tables. You can trust that we are working hard to make it easier and effective for all our customers.

We would like to clarify that as one of the top hotels in the industry, we work hard to deliver the best facilities and services to our guests. The all-inclusive package offers limitless food options from buffets and restaurants at the hotel and the three sister hotels in the complex (Lindo, Mar and Beach) as well as the food establishments in the shopping center, a wide range of activities and shows during the day and night, access to the spa and many other features.

Our friendly staff is committed to delivering a top quality service and we constantly organize training sessions for our new workers and organize reinforcement for the senior ones. In an industry where there is so much competition, we do not sit back and relax but are active in implementing constant improvements. We do apologize for the issues you are explaining on your review, and please rest assured that they will not go unnoticed.

Yours faithfully,

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!