“Go Somewhere Else if Desire Quality Food and Service”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 December 2008

We have traveled all over the world. First, I must say that the buildings and location are beautiful. The pools are wonderful and the beach is wonderful. If you want to pay $1500 per person for a beach and pool go right ahead.

The food is cafeteria quality. It takes 20 minutes in line to get eggs to order. Management says sorry but doesn't fix problems. Multiple request took up to 10 hours to rectify. Communication with staff is inadequate. Didn't let us know of all dining options until night before we left.

The shows they offer are local talent. Actually the beach staff is the talent. My local high school shows are silmilar quality! OMG for $7000 we our family we feel ripped off! We usually don't do all inclusive or cruises for this reason. When you are there you are stuck with no recourse.

Get this. They charged us $250 (phone bill) to call Delta's 800# and our travel agent so we could get a direct flight home. There was no information about FREE calls costing money anywhere in the room or on the phone. All our complaints were greated with we are sorry...you owe us money. When I said I wouldn't pay the extortion fees, the called securty and had them lock down the gates so we would miss our flight if I didn't sign my credit card info and pay them!!!!!!

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE QUICKLY!

GOPATSGIRL@YAHOO.COM

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank gopatsgirl
Write a ReviewReviews (5,107)

Reviewed 21 December 2008

We stayed at the Iberostar Maya from Dec 10 to 17, 2008.

CHECK-IN - we arrived on a Wednesday afternoon in Cancun around 11:45am and were at the Hotel, checked in, and eating lunch by around 1pm - it was great timing. We flew direct from Toronto with Air Canada Vacations. Our group was myself and my hubby, both 32, and another couple, also our age. It was a much needed trip to connect again with good friends without our kids. We left them at home with the grandparents. Check in was easy and painless, and our room was ready when we go there.
ROOMS- We were in building 63, third floor, with a view of the private pool. It was a good location – third floor is usually the quietest with no over head noise and no where for bugs to crawl in (like on terrace rooms). Our room was huge, one of the rooms with the lattice style divider between the bedroom and living room. It was at least 4 feet bigger than our friends room, theirs was two down from us. Their living room was smaller than ours. The bed was hard, but we didn't care at all - we were so exhausted (and full) each night that sleep was never hard to come by. We had no problems with bugs in our room, or bugs at all throughout the entire resort. They were never ever an issue for us. I would suggest to women to bring their blow dryer and shampoo etc. The resorts shampoo was horrible and they don't have conditioner. The blow dryer was like a vacuum cleaner hose and it got insanely hot. I had to hold it with a face cloth wrapped around it so I didn't burn my hands. And the hose was short so my back was sore after drying my hair - lol.
POOLS - all the pools (private ones, wave pool, lazy river, main pools at each resort) were all clean and beautiful. They were huge and it was never an issue to find a spot to sit. They were cold but very refreshing when it was hot out. Which brings me to my next point...
WEATHER - we didn't have great weather while we were there. In fact the first two days were downright cold. We had to wear sweaters and long sleeves and pants in the evening. We didn't even think about going in the pool - when it was so cool outside, with no sun, who wants to swim? We felt sooo sorry for the "Star Friends" who still had to go through with the pool games - they were just shivering. The first four days we had more cloud than sun - but we went out with a bang...the last two and a half days were spectacular and georgeous. We were down there with friends to relax on a holiday without kids, we didn't care at all about the weather, we still had a fantastic time.
SPA - we were so glad that we were on the Maya side with access to the spa. We had sooo much fun there on the cloudy days. They had a fantastic indoor pool with lounge chairs, Swedish style hot tubs, steam room, sauna, Swedish showers etc...all for free for Maya guests. It was so much fun to be able to take advantage of it. I am sure with great weather we never would have seen it, but when you can't guarantee the weather, it's great to have an alternate plan for the day.
GYM - I also used the gym. It was a very efficient gym that would allow you anything that you needed for a "vacation" workout. Nothing fancy, but effective. I am a personal trainer, so I could go on and on about the gym...but it did the job. I also ran in the mornings and the complex was big enough to plan a route and do a few laps of the complex and get in a decent run.
SHOPPING CENTRE - we didn't spend too much time there, but we did want to see it to experience everything. It was never ever busy when we were there. You have to walk through the shopping centre to go to the spa so we walked through it a few times and it was always quiet. We tried the tacos and the crepes just to say that we did. Nothing spectacular, but it was a fun treat. It was neat to watch the crepes get made right in front of you.
BEACH - although the beach was beautiful with soft white sand and great water access...every time I was on it, I felt like a sardine. There were sooo many chairs packed on the beach that we were practically sitting on top of each other. It didn't do much for me...all those people and all those chairs sort of ruined the ambiance for me. However if you walked down to the Grand it was so beautiful and quiet - like night at day. I guess that’s why they pay more - lol. We always ended our day at the beach because our hubbies played beach volleyball every day from 3:30 to 5:00pm. The men loved it, and wouldn't miss a game. It became a real little volleyball "clique" and they had a blast together.
RESTAURANTS/FOOD - I don't have one bad thing to say about the food, the quality or the restaurants (buffet or a la cartes). We all enjoyed every meal we had and no one was even close to experiencing any food related illness. We aren't too hard to please and aren't picky, but we can't understand how anyone can't find something to eat. There was always something for every taste. And if you can't find something, then I have to say that your expectations are too high, or you are just too picky. The buffet breakfasts were our favourite. Everything you could possibly imagine was at your fingertips. We tried all the different dining options for breakfast but enjoyed the Maya buffet the best because it was considerably quieter and less busy. You could also order off a menu there if you wanted too. We always ate our lunch at the pool side buffets. The selection was great and it was sooo convenient. We tried the Lindo buffet for lunch and it was a bit nicer, but it was just easier for us to go to the pool. We were never disappointed - and usually ended our meals with a trip to the ice cream bar - my fav was oreo cookies and cream - yum. They even had sushi some days for lunch - it was great. The best part about being at the Maya was our unlimited access to all of the a la cartes. We ate a la carte every night for dinner. It was fabulous. We started every evening at the lobby for a drink or two with a few bowls of popcorn to snack on, then headed to our reservations. Does it get better than that? We ate at the Japanese tapenaki tables twice, the Italian twice, Seafood, Mexican and Steakhouse. All were fabulous meals. My highlight was the lobster - I had it at the Mexican and the Seafood restaurant. At the seafood restaurant they brought us out an extra plate of lobster tails for us to share because we all loved them so much. The staff was fabulous. The only downfall was the deserts. Even though the menus have a desert selection... all deserts were buffet style. I am used to getting pretty funky plated deserts at a la cartes and I always looked forward to that. The deserts at the a la cartes were the exact same deserts you could get at the buffet - nothing special.
DRINKS - the drinks were plentiful and yummy. The bar tenders amazed us by the amount of drinks that they knew. You could spit out any type of drink that you like, no matter how different it might be, and they knew it. They never disappointed me, and I always was able to try tons of different drinks. And if you asked for top shelf liquor, you would get it (at the lobby bars anyway, we never cared when it came to our poolside drinks). We had poolside drink service every day and loved not having to leave our chairs when we were lazy. Don't forget your insulated mugs for daytime, they are a life saver.
INTERNET/PHONE CALLS - we used the internet regularly, but it was a pain in the butt. Half the time we put money into the computers to buy time, half the time we had to buy time from our concierge, then it would change and we had to buy time from the front lobby...it was always different and it was so unorganized. The internet was down about as much as it was working. It might be working in one lobby, but not the other, so we had to walk back an forth a lot to find computers that worked. And it was out for two whole days while we were there. It was a pain but it was our communication to get updates on our toddler at home and updates on my sister who had a baby at home while we were away. We also had arranged two phone calls from home. It was cheaper to have my parents call from home to our room at a specific time of day. It would have cost twice as much had we tried to call home from our room. The reception was clear and the calls were easy to make.
STAR FRIENDS/STAFF - the "star friends" team was great and they were always helpful and friendly. They did a great job and ran tons of activities every day. The big disappointment was the evening shows - I thought they were horrible. I have been to many all inclusives and they had the worst shows I have ever seen. After seeing a few bad shows, we just gave up and didn't even bother going. On a side note, the pool aquafit classes were a joke – but we got a good laugh out of participating. As for the rest of the staff, they were great. Some staff were exceptional and went above and beyond, and some staff were forgettable. We never ever had any reason to complain so we were always in a good mood, so the happier we were, the happier the staff were to serve us. It's all about attitude - treat others like you want to be treated....and you will get the same in return.
RESORT IN GENERAL - we really enjoyed this trip and the resort in general. It's a big resort with tons of things to do. It is beautifully landscaped and very very clean and prestine. They take great care in the small details, and it showed. The place was really spectacular and beautiful - everywhere. My husband and I have been to over 10 all inclusive resorts, and 4 others in the Mayan Riviera (Moon Palace, Grand Palladium, Occidental Xcaret, Barcelo Maya). Each resort has it's own distinct advantages and disadvantages, but this resort ranked well against them. I am very glad that we paid the little extra for the Maya section, the Spa alone made up for the extra cost on those cloudy cool days. All in all we had a spectacular vacation and I loved every minute of it. I wish I was still there.
You will love this resort...I don't know how it's possible not to.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jjblythe
Reviewed 19 December 2008

My husband and I (both in our early thirties) and our 6 month old daughter stayed at the IB Paraiso Maya for 7 nights from November 21-28, 2008. We did an extensive amount of research before booking our trip and decided to go with the IB Paraiso Maya upon the recommendation of friends who went there and the reviews on TA. I must say, we had a great time, but we certainly were't blown away. I would rate the Maya as a solid 4.5 stars - definitely a great hotel, but not 5 star.

Upon arriving in Cancun, we chose to hire a private shuttle using Cancun Valet and were very impressed. We landed, got our bags, went through immigration with no issues, and had a porter take our bags the short distance to the outside of the airport where our car was waiting for us. As we were traveling with a 6 month old, we were concerned about safety and timing. Turns out we worried for no reason. We were able to quickly snap her car seat into the van and the drive to the hotel was less than 30 minutes. The driver was very courteous and gave us a bit of a tour on the way.

Upon arriving at the hotel, it seemed deserted. Check in was completely empty - we were offered a beverage while we went through the check in process. We were told that the hotel was going to be very busy in two days - and that proved to be true. We basically had the hotel to ourselves for 2 days until the crowds arrived.

We opted not to upgrade to the superior junior suite, and yet it turned out we got a superior room anyway (so we saved $500). All of the rooms are identical except the "superior" rooms have an extra 7 feet or so and the balcony is therefore a bit bigger as well. This was perfect as we had the baby and the pack n' play so we had plenty of room for that and to park the stroller in the room. The balcony is where we spent our evenings after our daughter went to sleep - so it was great that there was plenty of room. The hammock/hammock chair, although it looked great, was not useable at all. Probably would fit a 5 year old well, though.

Upon arriving we tipped our maid right away and asked for extra water and beer, which we were given readily. We also asked for an extra blanket and sheet to put down for the baby to play on and this was no problem. The bedspread was not as clean as I would have liked, and we were given a new one upon request. The service at this hotel was always prompt and courteous, but never to the extra effort. We commented on this throughout the week - we have taken a few cruises over the years and we took all-inclusive vacation to Cuba and we found the service on the cruiseships to by far outweigh this service. By no means was the service not good - it was. But it did not go above and beyond.

Except for when we sought out wine and tequila for our room! We went to the main lobby bar and they agreed to give us bottles for free - of course, we tipped them. They seemed like this was not an uncommon request.

The hotel and the grounds of the other 3 hotels were great to explore - especially when we were walking with the stroller. The food was best at La Marina for breakfast, The Pagoda for lunch (mmm - black rice) and the dinner at La Geisha was our favourite. We tried the Japanese, Seafood, Mexican and International restaurants. We were there over America Thanksgiving and decided to go to the main buffet for dinner that night - big mistake! The lines were crazy and the place was packed! Since we had our daughter with us, it was actually easier to go to the quieter specialty restaurants and feed her while we ate than try to go to the busier and louder buffets.

During our stay, we tried to take full advantage of all the hotel offers. I had a massage at Le Spa that was amazing! Just make sure you book with the concierge and pay for the massage you get - no more! There was a mix-up with my massage but it was cleared up quickly. The water services at the spa were wonderful - plunge pool, sauna, steam room, bubble pool, hot tub, etc. Very nice and relaxing. My husband wanted to get a massage on the beach but never ended up finding the time. We painted pottery on the beach. We swam in almost all of the pools. Unfortunately, the pools were VERY cold so our daughter did not enjoy going in (nor did my husband, for that matter!). I participated in the aqua-aerobics, which were fun. We went to the IB shopping center but not much there other than touristy trinkets. The taco place there is fabulous, though - and included too.

We took a day trip into Playa Del Carmen. We hired a car service because of the baby and it worked out well - only $30 to take us into the town and meet us 4 hours later and bring us home. That's only $10 more than a regular taxi one way. He dropped us at 5th avenue and we walked up and down. We wished we had gone back as the beach there was nicer than at IB - more calm - but we didn't have our suits with us. We did a fair bit of shopping on the strip - mostly hot chocolate, tequila, hot sauce and maracas. I almost bought silver napkin holders but the prices were still astronomical after the automatic 40% discount! Make sure you know the FMV of silver before you go - they weigh everything and price accordingly.

All in all, we had a great trip. My daughter loved it and it was very relaxing. I would not, however, classify the resort as 5 star. The food was okay, but not great. Service the same. Beware of the restaurants near to the pool or beach - the food tends to be a bit sub-par and the clean-up is slower - it was not uncommon to find margarine packages in the peanut butter, for example.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank mlecanada
Reviewed 15 December 2008

you have to see this to believe it.We stayed here in jan/feb `08
and had a wonderfull time the beach and pool are exellent and the pool is in one word the best ,the room at the maya had a wow factor,and about the food we only can say mmmmmmmmm.We can`t wait to go back in end of jan `09
and then it will be our honeymoon because we got maried in october`08 (we wait untill feb because the weather is better then)

greets erik and sandra from holland

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrKeizer
Reviewed 14 December 2008

My husband and I did a lot of research before deciding on Paraiso Maya for our Honeymoon. There are a lot of good reviews, so I will try to focus on the relevent subjects.

Room: We found it fantastic, specially the gigantic bed, the bathroom and the jacuzzi (which is big enough for two). The room was kept impecable, with nice details as daily towel decorations and chocolates by our pillow.

Pools: The pool area is mainly focused towards family and kids, so if you're in a romantic getaway you would probably prefer the private pools for the Paraiso Maya (less people) ore the beach, which we found to be never crowded. There is a very good bar by the wave pool (which is also near the private pool) which has non watered down drinks and natural juicies of any combination you could imagine.

Food: We went to several specialty restaurants and highly recomend the seafood, and French. On the other hand, the mexican and italian should be left out.The buffet in the Lindo Lobby offers good food, and is a better alternative than some of the restaurants. It is extremely hard to fine a decent wine without paying extra for it, but some of the restaurants have a wine menu with different choices were some better alternatives can be found.

Drinks: We didn't drink very much, buy it was very easy to discover that the best drinks are in the Maya Lobby, with some top shelf options.

SPA: The guests at the Maya have access to the Spa, which is worth visiting! It has a area with different types of saunas and a very relaxing pool. The place has lockers and hands out special towels.

Extra Tips:

On the contrary to what is said on some sites, there IS NOT a shuttle that departs every half hour to Playa del Carmen. This in an important point to have in mind, considering the cab costs US$ 20. The other alternative is crossing the highway and stopping a "collectivo" por US$ 3. It is nos dangerous, but probably not the best idea for the first time going in to town.

We don't know if other people tipped or not, but we did tip daily the lady who did our room and when we there was good service in the restaurants. We know it's not mandatory, but the people at the hotel work so hard, and truly appretiate the gesture.

• Stayed: November 2008
5  Thank Chile08
Reviewed 11 December 2008

My boyfriend and I originally went to Iberostar Tucan, but due to overbooking they offered to send us to Iberostar Parasio Maya as a free upgrade on our last night. We were flexible and didn’t mind the transfer over so we took them up on their offer. They provided the money for the cab ride over and even had a room ready for us early in the morning. There was definitely a step up from the Tucan to the Parasio Maya (Tucan was fabulous though and I wrote a review for them on Trip Advisor as well). They brought our luggage to our room and gave us drinks when we first arrived. The lobby bar was very large and was shaped like Chichen Itza. The Parasio Maya shares its facilities with Iberostar Lindo and is right next to the Iberostar Grand Parasio Hotel.

My review for this hotel will have to be shorter since we did not spend too much time there (only 1 ½ days and 1 night). A major difference was the number of people on the beach. Parasio Maya was a lot less crowded and we easily could find beach chairs. Unfortunately it rained once we got to the beach, but it only lasted a short time and the rest of the day was great. The walk to the beach was on a deck over bushes which had wildlife. The pool was amazing. There were mini waterfalls from rocks throughout and a very large swim up bar. The Star Friends put on various activities and shows in the pool well we were there. There is a lazy river and a wave pool, but we did not have a chance to go to either. The theater and the bar were very large and the show we saw (Boogie Nights) was quite impressive.

We made a reservation at the Mexican restaurant. I was not impressed with it. There were not many options and the ones they had were basically two different kinds of tacos and fish. My boyfriend got the lobster tail and they gave him seconds so he was very happy with the meal. The other buffet dining was good and reasonably close to the beach.

The room was great, although I question if it was cleaned after people had left. It was very neat, but it looked different than right after the maids cleaned our room the next day. The maids have cleaned our room before we checked out of our hotel so hopefully they cleaned it again before people came. We had one large king size bed which felt massive. It was a suite so there were two chairs and a couch in the other room. The bathroom was a great size and included a Jacuzzi. There was a balcony which had two chairs and a rope chair (not sure of the name of it, but it was like a hammock that you sit in).

Overall I was quite pleased with the resort. My only complant was it was a little complicated to figure out the paths and how to get to the beach.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeachLadee
Reviewed 10 December 2008

We stayed at the Iberostar Maya from December 4-9th, and have to say, the vacation was simply incredible and the property itself is absolutely beautiful.

Restaurants- After reading some of the reviews on the restaurants, we were hesistant to say the least. Let me clarify this to viewers, the food was very good. We dined at the steakhouse, Hibachi, Seafood, and French restaurants, and the service was good and quality of the courses top notch. For example, just for appetizers, one would expect to sample jumbo prawns, caviar, mussels, and smoked salmon, at both the seafood and steak restaurants. The seafood was clearly super fresh. As for the Hibachi, hopefully you will get Arturo as the chef, his show was marvelous. Lastly, the French restaurant was fantastic, with a appetizer of pheasant and lobster, main course of filet mignon, and a wonderful dessert, finished off with dessert cordials. Service among all of these restaurants is above and beyond what we have ever gotten here in the states. Even the lunch was quite good, my suggestion would be to stay away from the places by the pool that serve lunch, and go to the restaurant in the Lindo, where not only is it table cloth and butler style service, but higher end offerings as well, such as seafood paella with prawns, and sauteed jumbo scallops.

Room- We were upgraded from the junior to superior suite, free of charge (rm 6014). Very large room with all the amenities, wonderful concierges providing over the top attention (Luis and Nicolas). Our door faced our very own private pool.

Facilities- The wave and river pools were excellent, especially with small kids in mind. We stayed close to the wave pool as it was close to the kids club and right next to one of the bars, which served up non-watered down drinks. Lastly, the spa, reserved for Maya and Grand guests, was a state of the art facility offering various spa and saunas, as well as a large salt water pool. We used the spa almost every day.

Entertainment- While there are discos located in the shopping center, we did not venture over to experience them, instead going to the shoes at night. Again, wonderful, especially the 'Boogie Nights' show on Monday.

Overall, an over the top vacation for the family in terms of luxury, ambiance, and service. We will be returning without a doubt.

Stayed: December 2008
7 mi away
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!