“Charge For Slow Internet”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
St Louis, Missouri
“Charge For Slow Internet”
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I resent being charged $12 per day for very slow internet access at a hotel that claims to be 4 star.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (957)
  • Polish first
colorado
Reviewed 17 September 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. This will be quite long but I hope to help people who are wondering what is going on with the closures. Keep in mind we were just in Cancun in January with our daughter and my mother and it was very crowded, even the airport was crazy busy.

We were booked at the Iberostar Beach for 10 days but when we were being dropped off in the morning at the resort on September 2nd it was closed so the driver took us over to the Lindo lobby. When we stopped at the front desk the gal could not find our reservation so I started to get a little worried...no problem, she had good news for us we were being upgraded to the Maya instead. Not quite sure why we got the double upgrade but we were pretty excited. They had a driver in a shuttle(golf cart) come pick us and our luggage up and took us to the lobby at the Maya. Wow the lobby/registration area is fancy. We were greeted quickly and given our room keys and hotel information and a welcome drink. We did walk over the the Beach/Del Mar resort one day and walked around, it was closed and they were busy doing construction on a few of the main buildings, it looks very nice as well with a great looking pool area also. We were able to walk around without being told we couldn't be there. Just looked around and then left.

We headed to our room which was in bldg 61 closest to the beach and main pool area, also had a private pool in our building which we never used, looked quite nice though, very quiet. Our room was beautiful, large jr suite, marble bathroom with jacuzzi tub, wet bar, living area and large balcony. AC worked awesome too, room was never damp feeling.

Walked around the resort area to get acquainted with everything. I would say the resorts Lindo/Maya were about 40% full combined together. It was so quiet and there were chairs and palapas available everywhere from the beach to the pools.

The food was amazing, if you can't find something there to eat you are crazy. Remember, we were there for 10 days. The variety is almost overwhelming at the buffets for breakfast and lunch, never ate at the buffet for dinner so can't comment on that. As far as Ala Carte, we ate at the Steakhouse (okay), Seafood (good), Japanese at the Maya twice (amazing), Italian twice (good), Mexican (good),French (amazing) and Jambalaya (good). If you like lobster you can have it every night. The grouper fish was amazing too. We never had a problem getting a reservation for dinner, just called each day.

The pool area was very large. They have a winding main pool area with swim up bar in the middle. Lazy river and wave pool. 3 small pools in front of three of they Maya buildings, ours included. We usually were at the pool around 10:30 or 11am and could find a chair and palapa pretty much wherever we wanted. The waitresses were always coming around asking if we needed anything. Remember to bring dollars for tipping, the staff there works very hard to make sure you have a great vacation.

This is one of the best beaches we have ever been on. Very clean, large, lots of chairs and palapas and beautiful sand and water, loved the beach. They have a bar there and snack area (hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, nachos, etc...) Remember when you take the walkways to the beach, wear your sandals/shoes. The wood walkways are very hot!

If you like to drink and also like premium alcohol this is the AI for you. The beer served at the resort is Dos XX's, very good. The bartenders will make you anything you want, just ask. Loved the Stoli cosmos in the Maya lobby bar every night before dinner.

To sum it up, we came back to Colorado on September 11th and I wish I was still at the Iberostar! The tourism is way down and it is very quiet in the area, resorts seem half empty, even Playa Del Carmen was quiet. If you go you will have a great time no matter which Iberostar you end up at. It's a great resort. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
11 Thank ilovetotravel0909
Bushkill
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We went 9/6 to 9/10. This was our first trip to an Iberostar resort and definitely will not be our last. We have been to Sandals and Secrets but Iberostar by far was our favorite. Anyone who does not enjoy this resort is crazy.
We were scheduled to stay at the Lindo but were upgraded to the Maya. The resort in our opinion was about 30% full - no lines or waiting for anything.
The food was great except for the Italian restaurant - please believe me you don't want to eat there it was absolutely horrible.
As for the service I don't know if it was just because the resort was so empty or what but they really do everything possible for you.
I'm not going to repeat everything everyone else has said. Just enjoy your vacation.
Please note the tile in the bathroom shower and in the bathroom itself is extremely slippery, our 3 year old took a good tumble.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank akasara43
Florida
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We just came back from Paraiso Maya (09/06-09-11), very rested and happy.
First good things:
Transportation from the airport provided by Lomas Travel was with no problem. Guys were waiting by the airport doors.
We were upgraded from jr suite to superior jr suite (which had a lot more space) at the check in.
Food was great, a lot and the variety. I think for everyones taste.
Beach-beautiful, pleanty of chairs and umbrellas and activities were great.
Pools-with no chlorine smell (they use salt instead of chlorine), they are clean, very nice and also plenty of things to do.
Shows; They are fun, of cource they are not Las Vegas quality, but they try very hard and it's fun for all family.
Also we recommend the Piano Bar at the Lindo, the Pianist-Ernesto is great as he plays the music with his soul and when you are there, it's impossiblee not to feel that. We recommend that you spent at least 2 evening listening to the popular music of the world.
Bad things:
Ants in the rooms by the cofee machine, hard beds, flies in the buffets other way everything is good.
P.S. a lot of beer..!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Nerijus7
Chicago ,IL
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This was our third trip to Iberostar Paraiso but the first one at Maya. Prior trips were at Lindo. The two share the same pool and beach area and most restaurants. The rooms at the Maya are bit larger and more contemporary and there are a couple restaurants open only to Maya. Our 18 son picked this location having been there before and loved it. There were many other families from our town traveling here for spring break. The pools, food, and beach were great. We generally spend our time at the beach, which a couple days was very windy (OK at the pool) which was unusual. My wife and I did a scuba dive one day which was OK. The other days were cancelled due to high winds. Other than the wind the weather was fine. We generally are not show people we only attended briefly. This is a great family place for children fo all ages. It is very secure. Food is good and the place is very clean.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank jsmithkra
USA
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I was very impressed on so many levels with the service at IB Maya.You will not be dissapointed by the attention to detail of teh decor at every turn. There is an air of elegance in every walkway and lobby and pool design. the restaurants are beautifully decorated.
Hotel is 25 minutes from the airport so you get there fast.

The Good.
Check in was fast and courteous.The hotel went above an dbeyond in trying to help us to get lost baggage even though it was really not their job, they spoke to the airport on our behalf many times.
The grounds are so well maintained and beautiful. natural life abounds.You will enjoy using the many diffrent pools, but the wave pool has to be the funnest ever. it runs on the top of every hour.
every staff member is friendly genuinly warm and want to keep you happy, they are so hardworking and eager to please. Even without tippin they are happy to just help you - so Tip them when you can as it is appreciated .
take lot sof $1 bills to tip with.
property is kept prisitine clean. There is lots of natural life to see, birds, flamingo and peacock , coaties and kitties .gardens and fountains are just gorgous.

Rooms
Are big and airy, i stayed in a junior suite which was beautiffully appointed , bathroom had a shower and jacuzzi that my family of 4 fitted in ! every amenity you need is there.
rooms are always kept clean and also they have turn down service at night which is nice, the maids are like magic maidens you never see them but your rooms are always kept clean.
water and soda's are always replenished in the room fridge - ask if you need more.I tipped 3-4 dollars a day for the maids.Towel art is beautiful and thrilling for the children.Decent sized safe in the room. 2 ceiling fans and nice sitting area with couch .
walkout area had a hammock and chairs.My room was 6516 and i was close to both lobby and beach/pool it was a great building.

The Beach

is beautiful, aquamarine water and soft white sand. plenty of beach chairs and palapas available.Clear water , they clean the beach every day so it's very clean. Dont miss the beach party with paella and sangria - yum!
There are a few rocks but you can easily see them - no need for water shoes.
Bathrooms are kept very clean on the beach and there are showers as well to wash off sand.There is a bar and grill right on the beach . Lots of activities daily held at the beach.

Food and Drink.
I am a foodie and to be honest i could not find much negative things to say. The buffets wer every good with every continent represented and mexican station was great! there is always always something to eat and you will never go hungry at this place - in fact after a while you cannot eat anymore (but you do - because it's so good) Desserts are so pretty to look at and very tasty as well. Fruit and ice cream /sorbet always available at teh buffets.
The special restaurants were very good and beautifully presented. I ate at the japanese , Marina restaurant and Steakhouse. They were all very good marina and steakhouse had appetiser and dessert buffets which had a great selection and tasty - included smoke salmon caviar station as well and king prawns , crab claws.
Lobster abounded all entrees at no extra cost (some resorts ask a surcharge for lobster), here, it was very generously given .
anyone can be happy with the alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.I had no problems getting bookings for teh restaurants. Drinks are somewhat watered down at the beach - you just haveto drink more !!I dont know why people complain so much i am sure they do not eat like this every day in their homes.
men do need collard shirts and pants/jeans for the restaurants.if you dont have one they can give you one - ask the concierge for any thing you need.

Star friends and staff.
Star friends keep you entertained all day and generally make friends with you and you feel they are like family. people are warm and caring. our building concierge always made us feel comfortable. The breakfast waiter remembered how i liked my coffee and made it for me when he saw me coming in .
they really made an effort to get to know us.
Attention to small details - everyone remembers your name and makes you feel special.

Other details
The shopping center is reasonable and i did most of my small souvenir shopping and gifts there.try the coconut ice cream here it's included.
the train runs through the resort every 15 minutes. if available golf carts can take you where you want to go.
calls are very expensive so be prepared.
WI FI is not free.
there are many travel agents that come and set up office in the lobbies so you can easily book any tour with one of them. I did a chcicken itza tour for $77 which included lunch, guide, nice bus, stop at authentic mexican restaurant and mayan dancing waitresses, cenote swim.
Try to tip the waiters and maids- they work so hard and all to just make you happy.
Night shows are good entertainment especially the prehispanico and mexican folklore nights.
keep an open mind and remember you are in another country and be open to new things.i will be definitely returning to an Iberostar hotel again soon as keeping teh customer happy is high on their list.
I felt warm and fuzzy being there and well taken care of.
problems in my room where fixed within minutes.
there is a decent sized safe in the room enough for a laptop even.
Lobby lunch buffet is air conditioned and less crowded.My whole trip the weather forecasted cloudy and rain - in reality that turned out to be 25 minutes of night time rain on 1 of the 5 days and some patchy clouds during the day.
Do not loose your towel , you will pay $20 if you loose it.
Learn the layout of teh resort and all the shortcuts, you will walk a lot and it's a huge resort.
Lobby artworks are beautiful as is the Maya snake bar .
Although i have kids they never used the kids club because they spent tiem at the many pools and beach , however other parents told me it was a great place for the kids and lots of activities lines up all day .
Take time to walk around the buildings and admire the walkways and little courtyards.
I was very happy with my choice - do not think twice - any of these Iberostars at playa paraiso will be a great choice.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank hrhsan
Chicago
Reviewed 30 August 2009

I have never written a review before, but since I got so much help here I wanted to share our experience. I will start by saying that I am a veteran of over 30 cruises and have last taken an all inclusive hotel vacation in 1982. Everything about the vacation was great. We loved the room and because of other posts asked to be put in Building 60 closest to the beach. I would ask for building 61 the next time. It was great to be next to the best part of the pool and close to the beach. It is a realllly long walk back to the hotel. We seemed to spend more time at the Lindo then the Maya. The breakfast is much better in the Lindo then by the pool and it's air conditioned. About the food, I don't understand why people complained about the food on other posts. We ate at the Japanese and the French the first 2 nights. The by accident we went to the Lindo buffet and never went back to the ala cartes. The Buufet has a great selection and we would have a shrimp cocktail and great salad choices every night. I like that at the buffet you can have Mexican, Chinese, American or pasta every night. For us it was a better option.

Beach- was great. Very little rocks. The Wednesday party is great. The only thing that bothered me was that they let vendors sell clearly fake Cuban Cigars. You could get food and drinks very easy. The pool is the best pool I have ever been to. EVER. We had no trouble getting chairs as I think the hotel was barley 50% full.
I really liked the fact that this was a stress free vacation as everything was included. I was nice to swim up to the bar and order a drink and not have to pay.

Service was great everwhere. We left 3 bucks in the room for the maid everyday and tiped all of the waiters for every meal.

The only complaint I have is that I talked to many people who were at the Lindo who booked the Del mar or beach and were upgraded. I had the option to take a hotel choice for 33% less then what we paid, but I chose to not have to worry about it and be at the Lindo. In hind site I would have saved the money and let the hotel pick as I think we would have been put in the Lindo.

In all we loved this hotel and had a great time. My 7 year old misses walking up to the bar and asking for a Coco Loco without Alchol of course.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!