“Would definately go back”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
St. Louis, Missouri
“Would definately go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

I wanted to post a review here because I read a lot of them prior to my vacation and it helped alot. It's obvious from all of the reviews that this hotel is awesome so let's just say I agree with that description.

Pros:
- The beach was outstanding.
- The restaurants were very nice. We enjoyed the japanese and steakhouse the best. The buffets are awesome.
- Room was very nice.
- The free wet spa is a must-see. It's located in the shopping mall across the street.
- Landscaping is beautiful.
- Free Wi-Fi in the lobby ($15/day in your room)
- Lobby bar was one of my favorite places.

Cons:
- I really don't have much to complain about except that our AC was having a tough time keeping the room cool. Now we're from a northern climate so it could be that the room was typical of a Mexican air conditioned room and we expected cooler. Our consierge said we could move but we were already settled and it really wasn't that bad.
- The complex is very large. We spent the first day constantly getting lost. Once you figure out how to get to the lobby and the beach, it doesn't seem so large. TIP: The map they give you is not very good. I would suggest searching the Internet for a good map of the maya and the lindo (since both resorts share common areas).

Day trips
- We went into Playa Del Carmen one day. There is an air conditioned shuttle you can catch at the shopping mall entrance that charges $4/person each way. We decided to go out to the Iberostar Tucan for lunch (free). It's located about 2 miles outside of Playa. You can take a taxi there for $4 (total) or walk.
- We took an Apple vacation day trip to Chitzen Itza (mayan ruins). It cost about $90/person and included a/c luxury bus (pickup at hotel), open bar, snack, tour guide, mayan lunch and a dip in a sinkhole (cooler than it sounds). My advice on this, if you like history, you will LOVE this. If you think ruins are a bunch of old rocks, don't bother.
- We took another day trip to Isla Mujeres. This was an adventure tour. Ziplining, snorkeling, swimming with doplphins. Again with Apple tours for $90/person. This is an all day trip. You leave at 7:00am and get back about 8:00pm. Lots of fun.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dtracy10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (910)
  • Polish first
Rocklin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

We stayed 8 nights at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya and had the best vacation ever (with our three teenage children). There is so much to do in the area, and plenty just in the resort. The food was excellent, the service was also. The variety of restaurants provides something for everyone. Pedro, at the French restaurant was our favorite server. The rooms were very clean and spacious (we loved the added touch of new animals each day, creatively made with towels by the housekeeping staff). We highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for an all-inclusive with a beautiful beach, awesome pools, plenty of activites right at the resort, and nice rooms. We would go back in a heartbeat. We can highly recommend the Jungle Maya Expedition with Alltournative, great tour, great value. Also, Delphinus Dolphin Swim - super experience. We went to Tulum with Yukatreks, excellent tour and service. Our only negative experience during the whole trip were the two tours we went on with Dressel Divers (they are the on-site company to book excursions). The tours are expensive (relative to the other options if you can do your own research and reservations) and they have a cattle-herding mentality. Both tours had their own disappointing results. But, back to Iberostar - awesome!! Loved it!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank atalba
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

My wife and I were here for 7 days, 10/31 - 11/6. We visited a different resort in 2006, so we have one point to reference in our review.

The grounds are beautiful. The complex is very big but easy to figure out and get round. The beach is fantastic. The pool is large and has plenty of chairs. We stayed in building 64 which is a good cental location. The rooms are nice but nothing more than you would expect. As mentioned in other reviews, the beds are hard, very hard.

The staff is fantastic. Almost every person we encountered was eager to make our trip special.

There were a lot of kids (10 and under) during our stay. Dinner was typically in the company of several over tired kids. The resturants could do a better job of seperating the couples from the families. If you want a quiet dinner go to the gormet resturant as many times as possible.

The food was good but not great. The resturant gormat was best by far. Italian and Mexican were fair. Japaneze was good. Seafood was poor. The buffets were OK but typically serve the same thing every day.

I would stongly recommend this resort for families. Not so much for couples looking for quiet time. I guess thats why they have an adults only resort next door, the Grand.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reggie5000
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

My family and I (2 adults, 2 kids ages 8 & 2 1/2 ) stayed at the Maya for 11 nights in October 2010. We have previously stayed at the Tucan and the Lindo so are familiar with Iberostar. We decided on the Maya this time around so that we could have a more room for the family.
Check in was quick and easy. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was ready upon arrival and maybe it was luck but it seemed like the staff had given some thought to our room placement. We were on the ground floor, at the end of a corridor that no one else came down and close to the beach in building 60. The crib we had requested was delivered shortly after our arrival and it was sturdy and clean (contrary to what I had read in a previous review about the cribs being dangerous). Our bags were delivered within 10 minutes.
Housekeeping left a towel art animal each and every day and despite the “hang you towels if you want to reuse them sign” brought us fresh towels every day. They were very accommodating, working around my sons nap times.
We ate at the buffet the first night and because none of us is good at buffet selection, opted to eat at the a la carte restaurants every night after that. We were not disappointed with any of them. The grouper in the Cajun restaurant was delicious, the Steak House and Seafood were consistently good and the Japanese excellent. The Italian was our least favorite, probably because the location has changed (the buffet and Italian have changed location and the Chinese restaurant is no longer). The kid’s menus seem to lack choice but on any given night our kids were able to order of the a la carte menu or swap out items, such as fries for vegetables. The restaurant hosts, Isaac and Itzel will also try very hard to get anything that your little ones want.
Breakfast at the Maya seafood restaurant is the best option. It has a greater selection of fresh fruits and entrees and a la carte options too, where you can order bagels with smoked salmon for example that is delivered to your table. Great if you don’t want to be leaping up and down to the buffet every 5 minutes.
Cocktails are fun and pretty and taste good. I can’t vouch for the quality of the liquor as I’m not a connoisseur.
The beach is just beautiful, very clean and lots of soft white sand. The ocean was very warm when we were there. There are occasional rocks but you can see where they are from the beach and so can avoid them.
The pools are incredible. Our kids loved the wave pool and the lazy river and the “shelf” area at the edge of the pool made for lots of fun. The pools were very clean and every night a crew of cleaners would be scrubbing both the pool and the poolside.
Service was outstanding everyone with one exception at the poolside restaurant at breakfast one morning, where the waiter claimed not to have decaf coffee – come on! But from the restaurant staff, to the front desk, to housekeeping to star friends, everyone goes out of their way to make sure you have a good time.
Activities are plentiful. You can do as many or as few as you want. The star friends are incredible. They are there all day long and all night too. The shows in the evening are a little cheesy but still fun. All the entertainment in the evening is on the Lindo side, so the Maya lobby is quiet but at least you don’t have to listen to loud music all night!
The massage at the beach is not to be missed - just amazing.
Tipping is not required but is always appreciated. We felt that we got great service even on the occasions that we didn’t tip. In general we left $3 - $4 per day for housekeeping. $1 every other time we got a drink, $3 - $5 at dinner and $1 if we got a golf cart back to the room.
Our concierge was incredibly helpful with arranging (and changing) dinner reservations and there was no limit on the amount of reservations we could make. She also helped us make arrangements for my son’s birthday, from arranging the cake to having our room decorated with balloons and confetti!
All in all, a fabulous vacation and we’ll be going back for sure!

5 Thank watsy
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

Very nice resort - very large resort! Didn't get a chance to see all there is to see! When you stay at the Maya, you have access to all the family resorts (Del Mar, Beach, Lindo, and Maya)... we ended up spending most of our time on the Maya side. A suggestion to the resort is to have a motorized tour (to hot and far to walk) of the hotel every morning so that guests can appreciate the complexity, availablity of services, and beauty of the resort and return to stay at another of the resorts in the future! The newer Grand Hotel Paraiso (Adult only), looks very elegant and impressive - maybe on a 'no kid' trip!

The Beach is gorgeous and the swimming pools, wave pool, and lazy river (just on our side of the resort - we never got a chance to check out all the other pools) are amazing! Above the main pool on the Maya side (above the swim-up bar), there is an ice-cream parlor - check out the coconut ice cream - to die for! Nice treat on a hot day!

The food was excellent (there were a couple of OK restaurants (Italian and Mexican) - the best are the Steakhouse, Japanese (plan to be here for 2-3 hours though!), and Seafood). The house wine is the worst I have ever tasted - it is disgusting - ensure to ask for the San Mauricio - it is offered free but only upon request!

The rooms were clean and comfortable. My only complaint with the room was a mildewy smell (which I'm very sensitive to) from the shower drain. The bathroom needs more air conditioning/circulation - it becomes a Sauna after multiple showers. The Concierge (which you communicate with to book all your dinners, etc - each building has their own Concierge) in our building had a few 'unfriendly' and 'uncaring' representatives - but the majority of staff at the resort were pleasant and friendly.

My favorite experience were the young adults who entertained the guests - they were truly incredible - they start by eating breakfast with guests, then off to the pools to entertain and 'play' with guests (from water volleyball to dancing lessons). Then they perform a different show every evening - all with a constant smile on their faces - my 9 year old son loved the shows (we went to the 9:30 pm show; however, there's an earlier one for younger children) - from Rock 'n Roll to Miss Iberostar (both funny and entertaining)! He's still saying "Maria"... !! Hats off to the Star Friends - excellent job!

A suggestion to travellers... don't book an all-inclusive unless you plan to spend the majority of your time at the resort relaxing and playing. We ended up spending 4 of our 7 days touring around Mexico (Coba (excellent); Chitchen Itza (nice but a very long drive); Xel Ha (beautiful park); Playa del Carmen (shopping - shopping at the resort is VERY expensive - buy Tequila, etc at the mall in Playa) and missed out on many of the benefits of an all-inclusive! There is so much to see in Mexico... we loved it!

4 Thank TrishK_8
Sherman, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

This was our second stay at this location and it exceeded our expectations each time. We love to relax on the beach and this area was perfect! The staff are all very friendly and cater to your every need. The hotel is "all inclusive" so the major decision you have is which of the several restaurants to select for each meal. The landscaping and decor are what you would expect at a luxury property. There are several fun excursions available at additional cost, but you can have a great time without leaving the property.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mack15
Somerset, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

My husband, 10 year old and I stayed at the Maya from Oct 25-31, 2010. We booked through Apple Vacations. The benefit of booking thru Apple was they provided to and from transportation at no additional charge (shared van). We were able to find an Apple rep easily as we exited the airport and they got us into an awaiting van that left within minutes. We were in the pool within an hour of landing.

Check in was quick and easy - Thank you Eric! We were served a yummy fruit welcome beverage and given a brief overview of the resort and activities. Freddy our friendly bellman happily took our bags to our room for us. Everyone had a smile and was very pleasant.

We stayed in room 6302. 1st floor room with a beautiful lush courtyard view with a bubbling fountain. There are no ocean view rooms at this resort ~ but it didn't matter - we were rarely in the room. The balcony was decent size with a hammock chair that my son loved to swing in. Bathrooms were spacious with a jacuzzi tub, separate shower, and double sinks. Mini bar had soda, beer and water and it was replenished every day. (If you have a soda or beer preference - tell the concierge and they will make sure you get what you need.) There was a safe in the room that was big enough for my apple laptop, large camera, wallet, and passports. Beds were very firm but we prefer a firm mattress so we slept great.

Our room as a very short walk to the pool. My son spent most of his days in the wave pool... a very very big hit with the kids! Every time they heard the siren sound (I believe the wave pool is active once per hour for about 20 minutes) they kids would go running for the wave pool. The swim up bar and the bar by the wave pool were great... fairly quick service - always with a smile. My son LOVED that he could swim up to the bar and get a banana daiquiri (no alcohol) or a pina colada whenever he wanted. I enjoyed that myself (with alcohol, of course!). The lazy river is very very lazy but very nice.

The hotel was only at maybe 40% capacity while we were there so we had no trouble finding a chair in the sun no matter what time we headed out to the pool.

The restaurants.... I'll start with the good...
Japanese!!! ahhhh we eat there twice it was soo good! The kids enjoyed the show. Hats off to Altro our chef one of the nights. We had steak, chicken, lobster, shrimp, and scallops. Served with fried rice and vegetables. Sushi was the appetizer and fried banana with ice cream for desert. All of the food was cooked perfectly and was fantastic.

Steakhouse (El Rancho)- good. I had the tenderloin and it was cooked perfectly and was very good. It arrived with corn on the cob and a baked potato. All very good! Appetizers and dessert was buffet style..... ok-ish.

Italian - mediocre at best. I had spaghetti bolognese and it was ok-ish. None of us thought it was all that great. Again Appetizers and dessert was buffet style.... ok-ish.

Seafood - (La Marina) - mediocre at best. I had surf and turf. My steak was charred when ordered a medium, my friends steak was completely raw in the center, my husband's steak was over done but not charred. I guess moral to the story is - don't order steak! The lobster was good buy very tiny. Again appetizers and dessert was buffet style... same as the others - ok-ish.

We didn't make it to the gourmet or the mexican. The buffets for breakfast and lunch were good. Make sure you opt for the buffet by the theater instead of the one by the pool. We also tried the breakfast that was being served in the Seafood restaurant and that was pretty good. There they have some menu items to order and also buffet style. Their selection of fruit was a little better. I have to say there are a couple of things at the buffet that were awesome.... the chips and guacamole (I had this for breakfast, lunch & dinner!), the omelets that they make for your while you wait and the fresh fruit. All the rest was just ok-ish. My son enjoyed the ice cream!

We wandered over to the shopping area a couple of times. Not a lot to do there. A few small shops that had about the same price on items as downtown Playa had. We did try the Taco place and the Crepe place there and both were very good. The kids walked over to check out the night club for kids one night but were the only ones there and got bored.

We only saw a portion of 1 show at the theater that is on the Lindo side. I believe the show was Vegas Night. Excellent!! Good costumes, good singing, and good fun! I wish we could have seen more shows but we were just too busy or had late dinners and missed them.

Don't miss out on the beach party they put on once a week ~ tons of fun! Paella, sangria, mechanical bull riding, and salsa dancing!

The ocean was a bit rough for most of our stay but one of the days the kids were able to take out a kayak and rent boogie boards.

9 Thank jae351
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,923 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,613 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!