“This hotel is absolutely amazing!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“This hotel is absolutely amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

The best All-Inclusive resort I have ever experienced to date. The food, the service, the staff, the location, the rooms, the pools, the beach, the activities and the drinks were all 5 star and absolutely magnificent.

I went with my husband and inlaws over the Thanksgiving holiday and from the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated like royalty and our every need was met!

This is a spectaular and beautiful resort which is perfect for couples, families or large groups! We managed to catch a beautiful wedding on the beach while we were there as well!

Having access to all of Iberostar's properties was an added plus for us as well! The food was terrific and presented lavishly at EVERY meal we had. Isaac, the head chef has the best service I have ever seen and he even surprised my father in law with a birthday treat the night of his birthday!

The buffets, pool food, restaurants and the room service is top notch and worth every bite! The bell staff and concierge is always attentive and helpful at any time! Premium drinks are served as well which my husband loved and feasted on daily!

The olf course was something we didnt get fit into our stay but the course is beautiful and we look forward to making tee time when we go back!

We loved the entertainers and the Star Friends and all of the activities they had going on day and night! The live shows kept my niece captivated and the pool activities were fun for all of us!
We will be back in Mexico in the summer and plan on staying again at Iberostar Maya!

In one word-FAB-U-LOUS!!!! I love this resort and it provides you with wonderful value and luxury!

3 Thank KrysPhillips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Polish first
Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

We stayed at the Paraiso Maya over the Thanksgiving week. We had 4 couples with 9 kids between us ages 4-12. We had originally booked the Gran Caribe in Cancun as we all love the Royal and it was supposed to be the sister resort for families, but after seeing the Gran Caribe in October (we were staying at the Royal kid-free), we knew we weren't going to be able to stay there. The Maya was a huge step up.

We knew we would have some trouble with dinner reservations since we had 17 people, but they were able to accommodate us for the most part and they seemed pretty used to large groups. I would suggest that you make your reservations on your first day, the 7:00 reservations seemed to book the fastest - especially the Hibachi restaurant. We have been to many all-inclusives in Mexico and this wasn't the best food, but it was edible. We liked the Hibachi best and the steakhouse the least. The breakfast buffets are the same everyday, but I think the one in the seafood restaurant was slightly better. The other down by the pools (Pagoda I think) was more convenient for us though most of the time. I would agree with the other reviewers that the fresh tacos were some of the best food for lunch. And i am good as long as I have guacamole/pico de gallo/chips/cold beer and that was available at every meal, even at the little grills on the beach.

We didn't use the kids club much, they opened around 10 and closed at 4:30 and re-opened at 6:00-8:30. The one night we wanted to drop off the kids for an adult only dinner we were told we would have to come get them by 7:30 because of a special event that the kids who had been there during the day were involved in. Our kids had a blast though all week. They never seemed to get bored of playing in the sand on the beach/wave pool/lazy river/ice cream bar. I think all of the kids painted at least one piece of pottery and they do turn out fantastic. The "artesanos" that assist with the pottery put a lot of extra work into the kids art. Add a lot of little touches to everything and turn it into a nice piece. The kids also liked the Merry Go Round at the Plaza shops, but I wouldn't let your kids ride in the "spinning car" - stick to the horses. They warn the kids to keep their heads in, but within 10 minutes, both of my kids had slammed their heads on the ride because they didn't keep their heads pulled in enough and had good sized goose eggs on their heads. Apparently, according to the ride operator, that seemed to be a frequent occurrence, one girl apparently getting a bloody gash on her head. Guess we were lucky to just get bumps.

The resort complex is pretty large, but that has some advantages. A couple of us went running most days in the morning and it gave us a pretty good spread to run. We also checked out the gym, but it was fairly crowded the morning we went in (around 8 AM). We discovered another smaller gym behind our building (61) at the Grand next door. We went in and used that one, although I am not sure we had "privileges" to do so. But no one stopped us to check our wristband or anything.

It took a day or so to just get used to the layout of the resorts. A lot happens at the Lindo next door on the other side, like all the shows and that is also where you pick up pictures from the beach etc. The kids club is kind of between the two resorts. They do have a lot of golf carts with drivers around to carry people around if you don't want to walk all the time.

Room setups: One family in our group had 3 children for a total of 5 people and were forced to have 2 rooms per hotel policy. The rest of us had junior suites. After our first night trying to share beds with the kids, we got a rollaway for one kid and had our 6 year old sleep on the couch. Some rooms apparently have pull out couches, ours didn't, but he still fit fine on the couch. Definitely agree with the reviewers about the hard beds. We asked for the mattress toppers after a couple of nights and they made a big difference.

Overall, we had a good time - you know it is a different kind of trip when you are bringing the kids. I don't think I would go back without kids but would probably go back with kids.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Happy_TX_Gringa
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

Great service friendly staff.
Staff was very friendly and hellpfull , a specialy i would like to recomend Jairo & Yaneri this two people ware very hellpfull they went out their way to make our stay perfect. My childer lost pictures taken and pirate show Jairo did evrything to find those pictures he stayed on top of it and found those pictures , my children ware very happy Jairo showed outstanding service . Thank you !

3 Thank peysakh
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2010

We went to the Iberostar Paraiso Maya the week before Thanksgiving. When we got there they said they were 70% full. It didn't seem like there were very many people there at all and it was very nice (until Sunday). My first tip would be to avoid traveling on Saturday. That is when the majority of tourists travel and it is a great day to go to one of the excursion sites like Xel-ha or Xplore (more on that later). By Sunday it was 80% full and there were more people but we never felt crowded and always could find a palapa at the beach or the pool.
We booked out trip through MrIberostar.com and found the best price through this service. The trip included transfers through Lomas Travel and they did a fantastic job. They are at the lobby and will help you with anything you need. My second tip is when you get to the airport do not get stopped by one of the many official looking people wearing blue shirts. They want to sell you a time share. Go straight outside!
We stayed at the Maya instead of the other hotels attached to this resort after reading other reviews and I am glad we did. The pools are comparable to the Del Mar/Beach but the Lindo/Maya pool has a wave pool which my son loved. I found the price for the Maya less than the Lindo and they used the same pools/restaurants and have bigger rooms - go figure.
As far as rooms go- We stayed in building 63 which we felt was centrally located to the pool, restaurants and the beach. The Jr. Suite was HUGE and very clean. The bed was hard but we took the advice of others and ordered a pillowtop. It was comfy for me! We had a balcony overlooking the private pool (which we never used) with a hammock chair. The bathroom was nice size but the jet tub took FOREVER to fill up with water. I had to take the ice bucket and use the shower water to fill it up. That reminds me, the jacuzzi's at the pool are not heated. Who ever heard of a cold jacuzzi? The hair dryer was interesting and was more for very, very short people, but it worked.
If you are a light sleeper you might want to bring earplugs. The birds will wake you up at 6:00 every morning. It is not Iberostar's fault, but they scream/whistle very loudly. Another tip is to not get a ground floor room. We thought about getting a room at the buildings by the beach but I heard from others that they were bothered by mosquitos. We didn't have a problem with bugs at all.
Another suggestion if you plan on bringing electronics - bring a power strip. It was great to be able to plug everything in at once.
The pools go forever and are cold. It feels good when it is hot and sunny but on cloudy days it doesn't feel as good. Kids were swimming and playing even when it was raining so it didn't stop many people. The swim up bar was filled on sunny days and some people got pretty rowdy. I can't see being there on spring break - crazy! The Star Friends were great and got people involved in excercise, pool games, contests, etc.
We brought our own floaties for the lazy river and used them in the pool too so that is another thing I would suggest you bring. They also had ceramic painting by the pool and at the beach. I dragged my reluctant son to make something for his grandma. He did a rush job on his project but when we picked it up the next day it was gorgeous. The gal who worked there did a touch up job on it and it looked very professional. The $10 ceramic turtle cost $15 at the airport so it was a good deal and personalized to boot.
The water at the beach was different every day. The first day (storms came and went) the water was calm but there was a red flag out. We couldn't take out a sailboat because the wind was not constant enough. We didn't see any sailboats in the water the entire trip though. We rented a boogie board for $15/day at the towel hut. The other days at the beach we saw nicer weather but the waves were much bigger and the lifeguard kept his whistle busy when people would swim out too far. There were plenty of lounge chairs and palapas to use. The air gun and archery station was popular but only available 2 times a day. The snack bar served ok hamburgers and the bar was well stocked. It was nice to have a bite and a drink at the beach.
Now for the food - once you know where to go to eat you will be happy. We are early birds and wanted hot food. The buffet by the beach (Pogoda) didn't have hot food until 8:00 and the food sits out under hot lamps for at least a half hour. By the time you get the food to your table it is cold. The Maya Buffet (Marina/Rancho) is open earlier and has hot food and they make omelets to order!
As far as the specialty restaurants (make your reservations when you get there).
Japanese - our favorite, great for kids
Steak House - great food, don't order rare unless you want it mooing
Seafood - very good food, ask for Pedro - he was awesome
Mexican - so,so
Italian - service was horrible, food ok
All of the restaurants (except the Japanese) let you get appetizers and salads at a buffet before your main course. We loved the ice cream at all the buffet lunches and the ice cream bar over the pool was a hit with our son.
The biggest drawback for us was the kids club. We heard there were 800 kids there but the kids club didn't have age specific group activities. All of the kids were together and my son hated it. We only sent him one day and he was the oldest one (he is 10).
We only saw one show. They started a bit late for our son and he thought the kids show was too young for him (10 going on 14). The show was a bit silly and most of it involved watching movie clips on a TV. The other shows may have been better but I can't give a review of the rest of the shows.
We went on two excursions and, even though I booked one trip online, the Lomas Travel representatives have good prices.
We went to Xel-Ha and had a good time. It was long bus ride (1.5hours) and I had wished I brought entertainment for my son. The place was very well organized and if you bring your own all-natural sunscreen and underwater camera you are set. It was an overcast day and I get cold easily so I was happy that you could rent a shortie wet suit for $6. The food was very good there too.
We went to Xplore another day to see the caves and go on the ziplines. This was worth the price $79 per person. My son, who is a scaredy cat, loved the ziplines and the caves went on forever. Great sights. Bring a water shirt and if you want pictures get in line early.
We also took a shuttle to Playa Del Carmen. The shuttle left from the shopping center and cost only $4 per person both ways. You can catch the ferry to Cozumel or spend time at the beach. Worth the $4 and lots of shopping/eating opportunities.

All the staff at the Hotel try hard to please. However,some know more english than others. Usually it wasn't a problem,but if you need something that's not "standard" it was sometimes a little challenging to get your point across. We also took a liberal supply of American dollars and tried to tip whenever we were given great service. The staff seemed to really appreciate it.

All in all we had a very good time and enjoyed ourselves and would go back....

10 Thank 1098
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

Beautiful setting, beautiful resort, kind efficient staff, plenty food and drinks... couldn't have asked more. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2010
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

I will not go into our wedding trip second by second, but I will write a review that I would have liked to see when I was pooring over thousands of these reviews the months before our wedding.

We arrived to cold juice drinks and a very very friendly staff. We had our bags taken to the room by golf cart, and went directly to the Steak restaurant, and then to the Galaxy club, star wars themed night club,, which was awesome.

We were there for 7 days, and loved every second. the place is huge and can be very ver yoverwhelming. By the second day you should be able to get around and get your directions down. The food is great, especially loved the japanese hibachi.

Our wedding cordinator Lilly was amazing and bent over backwards to get us everything we neeeded. eevery building has its own conciuerge that will help with everything from dry cleaning to booking rooms.

The beach is fantastic, and drinks flow like the Mississippi. The only things that I would recomend is bring about $100 for a week in tipping. 5 dollars a day keeps your fridge filled with beer, and your bed covered in a diferent towel animal everyday. Tip the bartender that you use for the day 2 dollars and you will be the first to get a drink every time, that day. I know it says tipping is included in your price, but that gets you good service, if you want to feel like a king tip, and tip before the service not after. We found out that if we tip two dollars to the waiter when he gets our order , our food comes out before everybody else, and our drinks never go empty.

Apple vacations was great. Great price, great shuttles, and no hassles,,,, my wedding was amazing, the reception was amazing, and so was the party after.

I would bring your own photographer and get your own cake in the city, saved us a couple of hundred, other than that, no need to leasve resort.

Yay Iberostar. Feel free to contact me about anything to do with this resort.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barlas Y
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Iberostar Paraiso Maya from Oct 29th to November 5th, 2010. We had a great time.

First off the resort is MASSIVE, if you don’t want to be walking far do not stay here. We didn’t mind, helped us walk off all the food and drinks that we had, but it took a few days to find out way around, and still on the last day we found ourselves taking a wrong turn or path on the way to dinner. The resort in general is beautiful, the beach was gorgeous and the pools were perfect. The water was quite rough so there was no snorkelling to be had, but it was fun to body surf in the waves. The beach was quite busy and October/Nov is still considered slow season, so I can’t imagine how hard it would be to find a beach chair when it’s peak season. The pools however had tons and tons of chairs, as well as a few private pools.

Our room was spotless, the maids did a great job. The first 3 nights we experienced a lot annoying ticking and winding sound from our air conditioning vent, after speaking with the front desk we were moved to another room in the same building that day! We were very happy with our second room, on the second floor over looking the private pool. Every day a new towel animal was left!

There are a lot of children, but we found that the kids club did a good job of entertaining them so that they weren’t running around hog wild annoying other guests. But all day at the pool you can expect loud fun music and children running around as well as constant group games. It’s fun to get involved, but if you’re looking for a resort to relax in silence, you’ll want to stay at the Grande!

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, a few dollars here and there as a tip were greatly appreciated but not required. Everyone said Ola as you walked through the resort!

As for the food, we weren’t overly impressed. Last year we stayed at the Barcelo Palace Prestige resort, so we were a bit spoiled, but it was expected that the food wouldn’t live up to the Prestige resort. Breakfast, lunch, snack bar, and dinner buffets do seem very repetitive, but if you love fresh salsa and guacamole like I do, you won’t be disappointed. We booked an a la carte restaurants for 5 of our 7 night stay. We loved the Japanese restaurant, we ate there twice. The steakhouse was awful, we left hungry and annoyed, service wasn’t great and the steak was awful. Tough and hard to cut, no steak knives provided. The seafood restaurant was delicious, I had the tempura prawns on top of vegetables and mashed potatoes, I admit I picked most of the batter off, but only because I felt myself gaining 5 lbs as I ate them one by one, LOL. My Boyfriend had the surf and turf, It wasn’t what we would expect on the west coast of Vancouver, but it was delicious none the less. We ate at the French restaurant on the Lindo resort, again I had the shrimp and it was delicious, by boyfriend had the fish with risotto and it was somewhat bland.
We definitely never went hungry, and I managed to gain 3lbs (I guess it could’ve been worse,haha), but it is not necessarily top notch food, again that’s probably me comparing to the prestige quality of the palace.

The ice cream bar was fabulous, I visited at least once a day, and the buffets also had ice cream with sprinkles and soft serve available.

Be sure to have the soft taco’s, they’re in every lunch/dinner buffet, add some hot sauce, they’ll show you which one, fresh salsa and guacamole and you’ll be in heaven!

We were in building 64, I would recommend this building as it is central, near the pools, but in the middle of the dining restaurants and the beach. Great location!

The lazy river is just that, lazy, it’s really quite slow, and at first we thought well dug tat’s what a lazy river should be, but then we saw it and it was barely moving, but the wave pool is fun!

Oh and lastly, do not be afraid of the weird cat/racoon/ant eater like animals they have wandering around, they won’t bother you, but don’t feed them, the sign says not to for a reason!

We found that last year at the Barcelo Palace no other guests took interest in socializing with us, or even giving us the time of day, it was a resort to relax and keep within your own company, the Iberostar had much more outgoing guests and we managed to make friends every night over a cocktail at the theatre bar. So I think you have to decide what sort of vacation you’re looking for. If you don’t want children around, and you want peace and quiet this probably isn’t the resort for you. But if you’re laid back and looking to have a fun time, then you will not be disappointed. On that note, if you’re taking children I highly recommend this resort, I do not have children myself, but I know that numourous couples we spoke with absolutely adored all of the kids club staff, even went as far as to buy them flowers on their last night stay at the hotel. Kids were well entertained, never looked bored and were made to feel comfortable with the staff.

Hope my review helps!

Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,074 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!