“Awesome Place”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
“Awesome Place”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I just returned from a stay at the Bliss and the Grand Mayan. Let me start by thanking the Bliss Resorts Supervisor Daneilla for going the extra mile to make our stay perfect.
This stay started out a little confused. I was told the Bliss was a step up from the Grand Mayan which I have stayed before. This is NOT the case. The Bliss in my opinion is between the Mayan and the Grand Mayan in room size and comfort. I asked to be moved to the Grand Mayan and was told there were no openings. I accepted this to be true as they were quite full. Daneilla went over and above her duties and found us a room. Thank you again.
Now for the bad part. I emailed the conciere several times about transport and not once did I receive a reply. That was rude and not professional. That being said everything else was great.

In my previous review of the Grand Mayan I pointed out a long wait time between shuttles and poor service from the bartenders. The shuttles are doing a much better job and we only had to wait any real lenght once in 7 days. That is pretty good as busy as they were. The food was excellent everywhere we ate except I was disappointed in the Tramanos Italian restruant. The Grouper was tasteless although a nice sized and well cooked piece of fish. I had a shrimp and linguine dish that was just piled into a bowl and was soggy almost soup like. The pasta was overcooked. The other issue we found were the mixed drinks. Even the standard drinks were not very tasty. They need to have the bartenders taste the products now and then.

The Gong Restruant once again blew me away. The flavors and the preparation just stood out as amazing.

The Havana Moon could be my favorite place but still they have the bright white overhead lights detracting from the mood lighting that makes you believe you are in 1950's Havana. I really wish they would visit this issue.

The airport was quick and easy coming into the country with customs well staffed and no real wait.
The trip to Playa Del Carmen was ok. I am finding that big commercial stores are pushing in and taking away from the mom and pop stores that I love so much.

Room Tip: If you are trading a timeshare make sure you stay at the Grand Mayan or Grand Bliss if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Beachbum1956

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,107)
  • Hebrew first
Marshfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Dates: March 9 thru March 16, 2013. Six of us had a Grand Master Suite on the first floor of Building 1 via a timeshare swap thru RCI. My wife and I, my two sons 26 and 23, a future daughter in law and a friend of my younger son's. Immediately after check in expect to be approached by one of the timeshare folks. I told them i was already a timeshare owner and really had no interest in going to the presentation. You can read plenty on here from others about their experiences. We said we'd go and just never went. They called the room once, I said we decided not to attend and never heard from them again.

The accommodatons were exceptional. We never noticed any of the 'thin walls' complaints others have noted. we found our rooms to be very quiet. No musty smell as i had read to beware of in other reviews. And that was a significant concern due to my wife's mold/mildew allergies. Excellent houskeeping service. Only complaints are not enough hooks in bathrooms for drying bathing suits and the beds are pretty hard (but got accustomed to them after a couple of days). Not like my cushy American mattress. Reminded me of Ireland.

The resort is spotlessly maintained. Exceptional attention to detail everywhere on the property.

Food was more than acceptable at all the locations in the resort and in most cases excellent. Prices were reasonable. Wonderful service. No complaints at all.

Pools were phenomenal. Availability of chaises and palapas as expected for a resort of this size. Don't show up at 11:00am and expect to get your pick. If you can get there by eight then the choices were plenty. Reserve a palapa for the next day and if you eat and drink enough the $30 charge is waived. Beach was beautiful but unswimmable due to windy conditions almost all week. It is very rocky/corally but water shoes are protection enough. We had to settle for the pool.... Poor us! Having just dealt with another New England snowstorm two days before our trip put having to settle for the pool into perspective! :)

We went on a day long tour to Chichen Itza with Yucatours. Excellent trip but a long day. Picked up at front gate at 7:30am and didn't return until 8:00ish. 2.5 hours one way meant a lot of time in the van. It was very interesting and eye opening going through the interior of the Yucatan. Driving through the villages and seeing the way people lived was very different than what i expected, but i guess i really didn't consider it beforehand. Bought some souvies from the MANY vendors. After 2.5 hours at Chichen Itza we went to a cenote about 30 minutes away. Fascinating and somewhat underwhelming at the same time. Then it was on to a restaurant for a dinner buffet that was probably the best food we had all week. Our driver and guide were a pleasure throughout the trip. I would definitely recommend Yucatours.

Took a trip to Playa Del Carmen for souvies and dinner one night. No complaints, just beware of the vendors. Always looking for easy prey.

And possibly the best part of the resort was the genuine friendliness and willingness of every member of the staff to help with any questions or issues.

We would have no reservations going back to the Gran Mayan Riviera Maya. In fact, spending all of our time within the confines of the resort would be fine with us.

Room Tip: Ask for building 1 thu 4. otherwise be prepared to travel on the trams. Up to a 3 minute ride to the...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank TomFitz50
ontario
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed for two and a half weeks in March in a one bedroom Grand Mayan unit building one second floor. Two parties with us stayed in the Palace (a one bedroom and a two bedroom) and the other party in another one bedroom Grand building two second floor.
I am getting tired of TA reviews as they now all say the same;
resort is isolated
you can not swim at the beach
food is expensive
So from here on in lets not waste each others time talking about that and I will not do so in this review.
We opted to travel via taxi and private shuttle, Canada tours, a new company that rivals in price and service those other more established shuttle services. If you book Canada tours for anything other than airport services you will have to walk to the main entrance a fifteen minute walk from the GM lobby. If you book a tour from the hotel you will be picked up at Green Break restaurant at the golf course.
Before you arrive download a map and familiarize yourself with the place. it is a huge resort and the paths are not always direct to the place you want to be. DO not tell the lovely people your room number who are waiting to greet you in the lobby after you check in and DO NOT do the timeshare tour. If you are not interested in buying yet cheap enough to feel you can waste your time on your holiday with these very ignorant people you are not very smart! You have been forewarned so we don't care to hear about your reviews complaining about them.
Our check in was smooth and the room we requested was granted, I emailed the concierge prior several times and brought the email with me. Our room was the cookie cutter of all GM rooms, very clean and spacious. There are new coffee pots in the kitchen and new sharp knives, flat screen tv's and computers in some rooms. You pay 950 pesos per week for very bad internet connectivity. The computer in our room somehow connected for free, a glitch for sure! We did not complain. We had no problems with thievery, although I would not leave things out or get lazy re this. I did leave an ipad on the counter and diamond earrings out for a couple of days and no loss.
The staff are wonderful for the most part. We had excellent housekeeping staff and were sad to say goodby. The kids club staff are mediocre to say the least and in our last three visits they have impressed us, that is very disappointing as their style of kids club, a more activity based adventure versus babysitting, is what draws us to the resort. Towels are plentiful and clean. Chair savers ought to get a life, holiday was scheduled around ensuring a space by 7, i do not live savers and would stay at the chair and have breakfast. About 11 the savers show up. Major GRRRR!
The pool staff especially at the GM pool are fantastic! They work hard smile alot and put up with a very heavy work load.
Do Walmart, BUT be very persistent with taxi driver that you want the downtown Walmart not the one in suburbs. We got taken to this one twice and the selection is poor, no wine variety, no cases of water or juice etc.... Their cooked chickens and fresh corn tortillas make a great meal in your room-very yummy. Walmart bakery selection is good, nice fresh sandwich buns and good cold meat at the deli. We did use a cooler at the pools and did not get bothered as long as we bought something at the pool. Infact they even gave us cups and ice for the cooler products!.
Sometime for lunch we went to Jade and bought sandwiches, pop, water, chips cookies etc, alot cheaper than pool service. The pool and Jade lunches are big and we split all meals. The Jade crepes are a great dessert treat, sit outside by the sanctuary pool and enjoy the evening.
There are still palapas for rent at the palace pool but you can not get one unless you wake with the roosters, several were paid for but never used, I checked and think t he time share sharks buy them to smooze folks.
The beach will always remain unswimmable as it will be impossible to repair but if you walk 12 minutes to the left and 15 to the right you can swim at some beautiful beaches. It is nice to get off property and away from the carnival cruise ship atmosphere you will witness. It is a safe walk and very pleasant.
We ate out at Havana Moon and had a very bad experience there. One of our party stepped in poo-yess poo in a restaurant. Animal human or other wise it was gross. They claim animals invade the restaurant at night as it is not airtight-made me worried for food safety and the two times we ate there were the two times one of more of us got sick! Gong is fabulous although it is easy to spend upwards of 300 for a party of 4. Balche my, our favourite, is reasonably priced, good atmosphere and good, not great, food. Service is swift, food is hot and there are good alternatives for all people. We loved Green Break which became taco break at night, food is cheaper than other places and the ambiance is special and quaint. We did not do the buffet or Tramonto this year. Room service is really good no matter what you eat, service efficient and very professional. As well, you can take a bottle of wine to taco break and havana moon with a 16$ corkage fee. If you buy a bottle at walmart for 10$ it is a better deal than their cheapest 38$ bottle.
The pools are starting to show their wear and tear with tiles coming off in the GM pool. There are not enough chairs or shade at all and folks do fight over saved space. We found this true at all pools in terms of space available.
Overall, we are tired of this place, it is large and seems to run at a very high pace. We felt like hampsters on a wheel and never were able to wind down. I plan to stay elsewhere where we can barbecue, wander around in our bathing suits until bedtime if we wish and become part of a slower paced lifestyle.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank floridabound1
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear floridabound1 :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a detailed review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to find out you and your loved ones enjoyed many of our facilities and appreciate your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. With that in mind, your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas.

We spend considerable resources training our staff to maintain the highest possible standard of cleanliness and hygiene which we know our guests expect when staying at our properties. It is important to note as well that we are pleased to be distinguished as a top safety rating resort through different high-level certifications (Cristal and Check Safety First), obtained by monitoring - on a regular basis, our food and water safety.

It will be our privilege to welcome you back.

Warmest regards,
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Management.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Overview

An fantastic resort with exceptional staff. I would definitely have no hesitation in recommending or returning here.

There are several different properties on this resort. The Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan, Grand Luxxe, Grand Bliss. We stayed at the Grand Mayan which had its own pool area as did the Grand Luxxe.

The resort is only 20 minute drive from Cancun airport. When we arrived in the airport we took a cab from Yellow Transfers which was 1800 pesos return. Pricey!!! We live and learn and will sort out a cheaper alternative on our next visit. To give a comparison a return trip from our hotel to Playa del Carmen which was a similar distance as from the hotel to the airport was 440 pesos return.

Whilst this resort is not an all inclusive resort it is a "no cash" resort. Everything you purchase is signed for and charged to your room. There is a 13.5% tip added to every bill. No need to worry about carrying cash for tips.

Reception and Check in
The reception and check in was very swift and efficient. Beware however that the timeshare sales people are waiting behind you as you are checking in ready to pounce and get you booked in for a sales presentation. They will tell you that it is NOT a sales presentation and that they want you to come along and see all the other parts of the resort. It is DEFINITELY a sales presentation so if you don't want to spend half a day of your holiday listening to something that you are not interested in then be strong and say NO!!!! We agreed to go on the presentation just to get away and paid 200 pesos deposit for the presentation breakfast. We cancelled our presentation the day before we were due to go and got our 200 pesos back. They do however offer a 10% refund of your final bill if you attend the presentation which may be attractive to some.

Resort Rooms
We had a 2 bedroom apartment in the Grand Mayan. We were in building 3 which was 7-8 minute walk from the main pool area. Some buildings were probably 15 minute walk away but there did appear to be regular shuttle buses going back and forth. The room was spotlessly clean,very comfortable and spacious. There was an ensuite bathroom with a jacuzzi bath in each room and also a plunge pool on the balcony.
The kitchen area was adequate but not particularly well equipped if you did want to cook for yourself.
The living/ dining / kitchen area was situated between the 2 bedrooms and was very comfortable and spacious. There was a large flat screen TV in the living area and the 2 bedrooms.
The only negative that we could make about the rooms was the view. We were on the ground floor and looked immediately out into thick trees. We did however get some morning sun on our balcony. Looking at the resort layout I think there were plenty of rooms which got no sun at all! Even if we had been on a higher floor we would still have been looking out directly into the trees.
There were also laundry facilities in each building ( which we didn't use).

Hotel Pools & Pool Bars
The main pool area was next to the Mayan Palace and we tended to spend most of our time there as there was more going on. Guests of the Grand Mayan and Grand Luxxe could use the main pool at the Mayan Palace but Palace guests could not use the pools assigned to the Grand Mayan and Grand Luxxe.
There were cabanas around the main pool which cost 350 pesos per day to rent. If however you spent 350 pesos or more in either the pool bars or the restaurant by the pool then you were credited back the 350 pesos. The cabanas were in high demand and hence you needed to be up early in the morning so that you could make a reservation for the following day. It was unusual to get a cabana unless you had reserved one the day before.
All of the pools on the resort were fantastic and they covered such a large area that they never seemed particularly busy.
The pool bars were busy and lively but also quite expensive. We noticed that a lot of people were bringing their own beers to the pool and getting a bucket of ice from the waiters. Defintiely a good way to save quite a lot of money.
The pool bars did operate a Happy Hour from 11am - 1 pm which was a 2 for 1 offer. Typical prices were - can beer 60 pesos, cocktail 110 pesos, can coke 35 pesos, bottle of water 55 pesos.

The Beach
The beach area itself was very nice and clean. Unfortunately the sea was very rocky and it was impossible to get into the sea without clambering over the rocks. In fact I don't think it was feasible to use the sea in this area of the coast at all. Another guest did tell us the rocks were there as the result of a recent hurricane and were going to be cleared. They looked pretty permanent to me but if they were cleared it would be a fantastic plus for the resort.

Hotel Restaurants
There were numerous restaurants on the resort offering everything from informal beach bar to buffet options to a la carte. We had very good food and service in all the restaurants we tried. Prices were what you could expect at any 5 star resort and in particular the wines were fairly expensive. The wines priced under 450 pesos tended to be very average in our opinion but it could have been our choices that weren't good as we didn't recognise many of the names/ brands. We found the buffets to be better value than the a la carte and were priced at 350-400 pesos per person which we thought was very good value.

Hotel Staff
The staff at the hotel were without exception excellent. The bar staff, waiters , front desk, concierge, bell boys, cleaners , gardeners, shuttle bus drivers, maintenance men - without fail every member of staff had a smile and a "hello" for everyone.

Hotel Shop and Deli
This was very convenient for basic items. It was pretty expensive which is why most people made a trip to Playa del Carmen to visit Wallmart on day 1 of their trip.

Gym and spa
The gym was free to use and was well equipped with modern equipment. It was never particularly busy.
We didn't use the spa facilities but I did use the hairdressers a few times. 680 pesos for a wash and blow dry was fairly expensive and as expensive as anywhere else I have ever been!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CarolCheshire30
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My family spent more than a week here in this timeshare resort trap. For one, the rooms smell very damp (we had to ask housekeeping to deodorize our room every other day). The sheets smell like they were not dried properly (smells like used socks) and we told housekeeping about it and yes it was replaced with the same smelly sheets! I began to wonder if they even smell what we smell or are they just so used to it that they are immune to it anymore. Other reviewers has commented constantly about this as well. We booked a day trip outside of the resort and only to find out that they will not allow the 3rd party tour guide entrance to the resort. We had to walk to the main gate which was quite a hike! This is ridiculous. When asked why, they say that is their policy: no 3rd party tours inside the resort. Parking is far from the rooms! The golf carts are undependable if you plan to move from one place to the next. The kitchen items in the room are lacking! I don't know how they cook but somehow it is not enough for a family of six eventhough we had a 2 bedroom suite! Stay away!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Konea2178
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Konea2178 :
We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya.

However, we are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Rest assured your comments will be shared with the appropriate areas.

We are grateful for your feedback.

With all good wishes!
The Grand Mayan Management
Washington DC
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

The Grand Mayan was a very nice place to stay. The room was clean and large. The pool area and the beach by the pool is a nice place to hang out when it is a windy beach day. This was our second time at this resort and it won't be our last.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My wife and I went on our honeymoon in May and had an amazin time.

Location:
It was in a good location, far enough from the big crowds of Cancun, but close enough to where it wasn't a long drive

Weather:
Great weather, had a couple times where there was heavy rain, but it goes quickly.

Resort:
Pools are amazing, the walking grounds are beautiful and they have various spots where you can see differen types of wild life.

Service:
Nothing short of amazing. Everyone was friendly and always said hi to you. Best thing that happened to us was we were away from our room for most of the day and came back to find our key wouldn't work and sign that said to contact the front desk/security. Once we got ahold of them they informed us that we had left our safe open and they put our room on lock down. Security had to come and unlock the door for us and make sure everything was there. Nothing was missing, cash, cell phones, passports, everything was there. I was so thankful that they have protocols in place if the cleaning crew see's a safe open.

Food:
Food was amazing everwhere we went. There numerous places to eat so you will never get board of one. For a young couple 23/24 we do not have a lot of money but found the prices to be reasonable for what we got.

Time share pitch:
My parents said not to do it, but once we got there they convinced us to go and listen to there shpeal. We got 10% off our entire stay, free breakfast, discounted trips etc. I knew for a fact that I wasn't going to 'cave'. The persevered were really pushy and it took about 2 hours total (including breakfast) and we went through like 3 different people. Not very nice when we sat there and wasn't going to sign anything haha but whatever. We won that battle.

Overall great experience, would do it again

• Stayed May 2012
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,620 reviews
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!