Pleasant, but by no means great.
1) On arrival, reception had our reservation confirmation, but the wrong name. We had reserved a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen, and they were able to find one for us in only a few minutes. On arrival into the suite, the second bedroom was locked off and took over an hour to get the room open.
They had no problem whatsoever in arranging a sales presentation and breakfast buffet for the following morning.
2) Refrigerator glass shelves were poorly fit - unsafe for groceries. After 2 days, 4 calls to front desk and a "promise" by the salesperson to "look into it", a single replacement shelf was brought to the door - it also did not fit. Later the 3rd day a replacement refrigerator was brought and exchanged. It too had faulty shelves. It appears that there was a problem with the unit in general, the internal side walls bowed and shelves just drop out of the track edge.
At least they tried.
3) Our units were on the ground floor. The metal pocket door separating the patios between our bedrooms was locked shut. Two calls to maintenance were required before a fellow opened it by hammering the latch plate using a screwdriver as a chisel, mashing the latch into the door, then pounding the bent latch pate back into place. Noisy, a bit slower than using a key, but it worked.
4) A leak in the bathroom wall of the guest bedroom led to a moldy smell, a developing puddle on the floor. One call to maintenance was all it took to get it repaired. We were out all day, I do not know how long the repair actually took.
A small fruit plate was delivered, from management, with a note saying "sorry for the problems"
5) The following night the master bathroom toilet was wet on tank, seat and floor: a continuous drip through the sagging ceiling directly above the commode. Likely from the bathroom immediately above us, and not my idea of good hygiene. Again, one call to maintenance and the ceiling was patched and leak stopped while we were out for the day (climbing the ruins at Coba, well worth the trip!).
There was dried wallboard paste/patch material dried onto the toilet seat, and the toilet had not been cleaned. The patch cracked while drying, and fell out by our last day. No further leaks were noted.
To my mind, this all-pervasive decay of facilities, and too-frequent calls to maintenance (and quality of repair work) prevents me from ranking it any higher than Average.
With the exception of the toilet seat/plaster and one housekeeping failure to take out our kitchen trash, the facilities were otherwise very clean and attractive.
Our trip was planned around driving to various beaches, historical sites and ruins, so we did not mind that the resort is not suited for local exploration.The local beach is very rocky and not particularly nice (but the pools are both huge and nice.)
Walmart and Costco are about a 25 minute drive and we cooked all but 2 of our meals in our unit. No oven, but does have stovetop and microwave.
Sales presenters: Avoid them like the plague of locusts that they are.
They are friendly and personable.
I think the previous reviewers here who have criticized them were being very polite and diplomatic.
Not particularly good listeners, they had a difficult time wrapping their heads around the fact that i was NOT in fact there as an RCI owner wanting to trade/sell/buy. They also (as reported in other reviews here) promised a 90 minute presentation AFTER the breakfast buffet, and which our guests did not need to attend, but proceeded to "register" us for 55 minutes before they would listen to my request for the offered meal breakfast... and then sat with us making a pitch while we ate. Two hours into this, after my guests left, upset, the salesman said, "OK, now we can begin the presentation", and insisted that we needed to sign a document stating that we were happy with our RCI ownership and would not sue them (what part of "I DO NOT OWN RCI did he have trouble hearing?) or that we would buy what he was selling.
I let him know I was in no way obliged to sign any document whatsoever, and he was "concerned" and suggested we go to the main office. He instead lead us to the demonstration residence/apartment nowhere near the office. At this point, my wife bolted, nearly in tears at his misrepresentation of the entire morning. Half a day of vacation shot!
I made our distress clear to the friendly folks at the sales front desk (main lobby, next to the concierge) and they agreed to double the originally promised 500 peso credit, 10% off all purchases on-site, plus a full week of wifi paid for by the salesman (950 pesos) as well as a spa treatment for my wife (approximate retail cost of US $100), all of which they did, in fact, make good on.
They inadvertently put one of the 500 peso credits on my guest's room charges, but that was noted by the sales desk person and agreed to by me and our guests.
Two days after arrival home in the US, I received a call from someone claiming to be from "the front desk" asking for my guest's telephone number so they could ask him to pay them back. "I know it's only a small matter of $40 dollars, but my friend here will have to pay for it if your guest doesn't refund him." I politely declined to give him the information, and told him to refer to the front sales desk person, by name. And then I hung up. Laughing.
So, nice looking place, great pool, poor beach, too many in-room maintenance issues to be fully comfortable, and a "Fractional Ownership" salesforce to be avoided (unless you are willing to bargain hard and negotiate a far price for YOUR time spent with their silliness).
Compared with some of the nicer resorts by Wyndham, this place barley gets into "Average" ratings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- I am offering suites at The Vidanta Grand Mayan Riviera Maya resort, located on the Yucatan Peninsula. This resort has everything you could ever need to experience true happiness: JOYA, a resident Cirque du Soleil show; five luxury resort hotels; world-class restaurants; spectacular pools; shopping boutiques; a Jack Nicklaus golf course; indulgent spas and the most attentive staff in Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Grand Mayan Cancun
- Grand Mayan Playa Del Carmen