“The service makes this hotel an experience of a lifetime”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Norfolk, Virginia
“The service makes this hotel an experience of a lifetime”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I don't understand these previous reviews - we have travelled he world and have seen the good and the bad.

Grand luxxe is nothing short of the good. A massage with included sauna, Swedish shower, steam room, and jacuzzi service? Yes please! Under 150USD? Paradise.

The gourmet burger bar attached to the pool is a must: the Kobe beef burger on a grilled banquet is out of this world. Even better is the service. Daniel, Charlie, and Salvador made me feel like Beyoncé - I have never felt so important, pampered and relaxed. It is enough for me to return every year.

And a pool side game of black jack with Louis is better than any high roller Vegas experience.

There are a lot of choices in the Rivieria Maya. But no where else has the service, special touch and beauty of the grand luxxe.

I have never duplicated a vacation before but as long as the staff remains the same, I will be here every year.

A taste of paradise and treated like royalty - it makes going home that much harder!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank bmac757
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear bmac757 :

Thank you for providing your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We truly appreciate your kind words about our staff, as they are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine luxury hospitality by providing service excellence. It will be our privilege to share it with them, specifically the staff mentioned; we are certain they will be happy to receive it. also we are delighted to learn that you also enjoyed our food options, the spa and facilities.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Happily,

The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,138)
  • Hebrew first
Kenmore, Washington
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I agree with the majority of previous comments. The place is far from town, but taxi service is plenty (M$230 for 4 people) or take the resort shuttle if only 2 of you cause it costs less. Weigh your options of getting a car rental versus taxi service and using private tours. We broke even for 4 adults.

Food: First day was grocery shopping at MegaMart. Stock up here for duration of stay cause restaurant prices at resort is high. We got our drinks from MegaMart and drank them poolside.
We did dine at the resort restaurants a couple of times. We prepared most of our meals indoors, when we were not touring the area ruins or visiting Playa del Carmen. Resort also has the Jade shop/ boutique for sundries and extra grocery at high prices.

Beach: Place is rocky so bring your water shoes. There is a sandy area further in about 3.5 ft where you can enjoy the waves. And snorkeling is doable among the rocky parts. Water temp is devine and we did spend long afternoons on the beach just soaking up the sun.

Pools: Like what everyone says, multiple pools abound. There was plenty of room for privacy, it did not feel crowded. Although, we were told that June is low season.

Resort layout: HUGH ! We got lost our first day ! This place is sprawling, but the staff/golfcarts transport people around from point to point, and this helps to get around quicker. Yes, do ask for a unit in bldgs.1 or 2 or 3 or 4. We were in 3, so it made our stroll to the pool shorter. Also ask for 3rd floor so it's quieter since no one is on the floor above. The resort also has a flamingo pen and a crocodile pen. And many iguanas!!

Service: A great team of workers really go the extra mile to make you feel at home ! From housekeeping, to pool towel folks, to restaurant staff. Very friendly crew.

Front Desk: When you check in, you will be asked to attend a timeshare presentation. Just say no. We came on a RCI reservation, and a staff person (Ivan)attempted to get us to attend a RCI update. I really had to brush him off. And the next morning, you will be asked again if you were offered to listen to a presentation. Check-in and check-out was quick and prompt.

Tours: We visited Tulum Ruins and beach via taxi. We got lucky with Monica R. Rivas taxi#1705 , who really has a command of good English ( She lived in Chicago briefly ).
Next time we'll do her Akumal Snorkeling trip.
We also pre-booked with www.mayans-explorers.com , which was the all-day tour of Chichen Itka, cenote dip, buffet lunch, Ek Balam ruins, Valladolid, and Tres Tonos tequila distillery.
If you book them, ask for Diego (driver) and Merux (proguide). Highly recommended private tour.

Conclusion: Will we stay there again? YUP !!! Maybe by then they'll get more sand over the rocky areas on the beach.

Room Tip: 3rd topmost floor, ask for bldgs. 1 - 3 , shorter walk to pools
5 Thank Lady_Tubs
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My review is focused on this being a condo style vacation, similar to VRBO. The only difference is that we had the benefit of having the amenities of a hotel; housekeeping, room service, etc. The most important thing to consider is “how” you and your family like to vacation. 12 of us stayed at the Grand Mayan to celebrate my son and his girlfriend’s high school graduation. My family had a 2BR with 5 adults (son and girlfriend being 2 adults) and one 10 year old. So, we had 6 in a 2BR and it was just fine. Also, we were more than happy to make sandwiches, eat snacks in the room, order room service or eat at a restaurant. The key thing here is that I paid for I wanted to use. Some review called in nickel & dime tactics, I view it as I get to choose what I want to pay for. With that in mind, we ate as much as we wanted, and yes, we drank as much as we wanted. Happy Hour and non-Happy Hour prices. However, we are not big drinkers, but my 18yr old son and girlfriend did indulge in some adult beverages. After all, we are in Mexico and they will be going to college in the fall. No need to keep it a mystery. I digress. The point here is that on TA a lot of hoopla has been spewed about how expensive everything is on the resort. I submit to you, to look at the cost from a MACRO perspective and not at a bag of chips level. For some perspective, I’ve reviewed the cost of some nearby All-Inclusive resorts and compared them to my bill after 1 week. As a side note, we did spend 1 full day at Xel-Ha and another day in Playa Del Carmen. So, my bill from GM for 1 week with 5 adults and one 10 year old was only $2,004.04. From a cost per person calculation, I’m only using the 5 adults.

So, take a look at what it would cost for 5 adults at similar resorts in the area that are all-inclusive. Dollar amounts are from RCI.

Grand Velas Riviera Maya: $269/person/day = $9,415
Playacar Palace: $150/person/day = $5,250
The Royal Playa del Carmen: $163/person/day = $5,705
Grand Mayan Riviera Maya $ 57/person/day = $2,004

We also had a really nice dinner at Tramanto on the last night, ordered a nice bottle of wine and had a fabulous time. At an AI, if you travel off-site, you’re paying twice for meals and drinks. Just something to take into consideration.

I would highly recommend the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya for large families and for those who like to travel into town, explore the region and do other things off the resort. For those that like to vacation and stay in one place, then an AI may be a better choice. Again, it depends on how you like to ‘vacation’. I plan to take my wife to Cabo next fall for an anniversary trip and we’ll probably stay at an all-inclusive. Be well informed and you’ll not be disappointed here at GM.

Another update, Cirque du Soleil Java is scheduled to open November 8th. This will be a huge benefit to anyone staying at GM resort. Also, they are in the midst of building another ‘super pool’ along the beach. It’s scheduled to open around the same time. I’ve included some photos of the construction. Seems like this resort is focusing on entertainment and ‘things to do’ while on vacation. And that is what we like when traveling with family.

I’m giving GM a very good rating for the unit itself. We went to the showroom and saw The Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe. Those units are 5 star all the way. The resort, IMHO, deserves 5 stars because we love all the shade from the trees.

There is a bridge between building 4 and 5 that is great for family photos.

Room Tip: Get a unit in Building 1 - 7. We really enjoyed our walks around the resort. However, if we were i...
9 Thank Roger H
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We loved alot about the Grand Mayan, but it deffinatly fell short. It's so big..the golf carts that come around occasionally just are not sufficient nor are the chairs around the amazing multiple pools. If your not to the pool by 7 or 8 in the morning you shouldn't even bother. The pool area becomes a zoo soon after. It's really a shame, but the resort is too big and houses too many people for the largest pool area I have ever seen. As for the time share presentation..it was TERRIBLE!! My husband and I own multiple time-shares and have been to many presentations. This one was by far the worst and easily the most high pressure. When we told them no, our sales lady said she would get someone to check us out so we could leave, turned out we went through 5 more sales people!! I thought we'd never be released, the 3rd girl, stomped off in her 4 inch spike heals, I guess she really didn't like our NO...actually quite pathetic in their attempt to sell to us. The first quote was for $198000, and by the time we hit guy # 6 he only wanted $1200!! Too bad, our unit was amazing as was the housekeeping, food and beach.

Room Tip: Avoid the Jungle, its about 1/2 mile or more to the beach, albeit an nice walk.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Reservation to this resort was made via an RCI exchange. Property is located 20-25 mins north of Playa del Carmen, 30 or so minutes from Cancun's "Zona Hotelera". Property is shared with other resorts part of the same management .

Not a first good impression when arriving due to the location, but that quickly changed when I was escorted to the suite. Very nice, bed a little too hard for my taste but overall happy with the accomodations a cleanliness.

Resort grounds are very nice, was told occupancy was low so had no issues finding locations by the pool. Did have issues with people arriving very early to "reserve" the cabanas by leaving a t-shirt or a book. Resort has a policy that cannot be done and items would be removed after one hour, but that policy was not being enforced. Very annoying.

Staff was wonderful, from the reception desk, concierge, bellboys, drivers, waiters and waitresses and maids, all very friendly and polite. Was having a wonderful time until....... The "required" 90 minute presentation.

Encountered what must be the most aggressive sales pitch I have ever, 90 minutes? Hardly, try 4-5-6 hours of the most confusing, hard selling, lies filled presentation. If it sounds to good to be true, it is because it is not true. I finally had to stand my ground to finish the insane sales pitch, however by that time it had taken its toll, ruined the rest of our stay, and left us not ever wanted to set foot in that or any other property managed by the same company again. Researching on line afterwards I'm so glad I resisted and stopped the non-sense, as it is a big scam, with many complaints filed over the years.

Would I recommend the property to anyone? No without giving them a big warning to avoid the presentation at all costs, regardless of what incentives they offer. I will NEVER submit myself to such and imposition again..

5 Thank tabascoone
Hod Hasharon, Israel
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The entire resort is simply luxurious. There are staff keeping it groomed and looking beautiful at all times. We had a 2 bedroom suite looking over a quiet part of the grounds -- green and green and green. The bedrooms and living room kitchen were very comfortable -- large and well appointed (although i cannot understand why they do not supply a kettle. we had to boil water in a pot). Make sure you go see the flamingos! The shuttles worked extremely well. Although they have fixed routes, they also are willing to order you a special shuttle to go closer to your room or to a site not on the shuttle route.

The maps could have been much clearer. They have two different maps of the site and they do not really match one to the other. It took us two days to understand that the 20 minute shuttle ride that we were taking from our room to the beach was really only an 8 minute walk. June is out of season so the sites were relatively empty but there were also fewer events at the hotel.

We were four people and rented a car. Well worth it since getting around the area (resort is in between Playa del Carmen and Cancun) becomes ludicrously expensive if you need to take taxis. We felt quite comfortable driving around and even drove all the way up to Chichen Itza.
We recommend your driving yourself most places and using local guides should you wish to. Beware the "official" guides in the parking lot though at Tulum -- there are much cheaper guides once you take the trolley up to the real entrance to the archaeological site.

Room Tip: Ask to be a short walk from your parking lot (and then try and figure out where your parking lot is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BikeIsrael
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

As i have mentioned with the other Grand Mayan resorts i have visited, this one as well is an great resort. The grounds are amazing,employees are very friendly and take care of anything you may need. The only drawback, right now, with this location is the beach. There is not much of beach if you enjoy swimming and snorkelling or playing in the gorgeous waters in the sea. It is very rocks ,coral and quite rough waters. Although, they are apparently going to be extending the beach out, with addition of sand etc,which will improve this i presume. Across the highway is being build an onsite Circ De soleil, nice for those whom enjoy that entertainment, along with some shopping plaza we were told. All in all, this resort and location are great, just a few drawbacks at this time,which are apparently going to be fixed to improve this resort.

Room Tip: always ask for top floors, none are ocean view ,as this resort is a horse shoe shape and far back fr...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun

Been to The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!