“Room to improve”

The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Reviewed 20 December 2009

The resort is very nice. With just a couple things it would be great.
1. The pool bartenders were lousy. We had to wave at them almost every drink. They just talked to each other and ignored the customers.
Most resorts the bartenders interact with the customers

2. The shuttle service has gotten worse instead of better. We had several 1/2 hour waits.

Everything else was great. The Gong restruant was the second best meal I have ever had.

We spent more time in Playa than last time. It is great and I didn't see anyone who was not having a good time.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Beachbum1956

Reviewed 19 December 2009

I am a single lady who was traveling with a couple (man and wife). We had a beautiful and spacious two bedroom, two bath, with large kitchen, dining, living area. We were on the third floor, building 11, overlooking the jungle. The balcony area was very large with the wading pool mentioned in other reviews. It was so beautiful watching the various colored birds each morning and drinking our coffee. We did not find the king size beds hard at all as mentioned in other reviews. I guess I have always slept on a firm mattress. We stayed two weeks and rented a car the first week to do our sight seeing and stock up on provisions (Mostly wine, beer, coffee, and snacks). We found that we liked the Metro Mkt (which we think is a Target as some of the brands are the same) much better than Walmart. Actually we made four trips into Playa Del Carmen. Two were the second week and we took the shuttle from the hotel one time and a taxi the other. We spent the day at the public beach there one day, which is quite lovely, and went in the use the cheap phone service and internet in the lobby of the Metro Market and do some shopping and eating on Fifth Avenue the second day.

We are seniors, but did not consider the walk to the pools, restaurants, etc., long at all.
After you do it a few times and began to know your way around, it becomes shorter and shorter. Occasionally if we did start out at the time the shutter was there, we took it.

The second week we took full advantage of the beautiful pools, snorkling, etc. All of the restaurants are very good. We found that the three of us only had to order two entrees and maybe one salad to make a meal. All servings were very generous. Room service was very good and inexpensive when compared to other nice properties.

Oh yes, we did attend the time share presentation. When you have two weeks you have time to do this; otherwise, don't bother. It can take almost a full day if you are not a strong willed person. We did it after we had already been on the property for a week so we told them we did not and would not take a tour as we were very familiar with everything. We had a lovely breakfast buffet with our salesman and then went directly to the units they are selling. He then proceded to do his job and we left as soon as possible. Needless to say, he was not a happy man but we did get what was promised to us.

Our vacation was wonderful with no complants. We are world wide travelers and maybe we are easier to please than some people, but we all thought everything was just great.

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank carlton2
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Just returned from Grand Mayan,this is an excellent resort the pictures do not lie.One tip this is the jungle bring bug spray for nights.You must eat at Wickys in Playa Del Carmen

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WARHUKKER1
Reviewed 7 December 2009

RESORT-This a beautiful resort. The units were spotless and the grounds well maintained with a friendly staff. It is a massive resort so grab a map and get ready to do alot of walking. Shuttle carts are available, but prepare to wait and share useage. The only negative comments on the accomadations is that the beds are rock hard and the kitchen facilities small. I'm sure it is set up that way to force you to eat outside the room. That's fine for a couple, but gets very pricey for a family on a budget. Drinks run about $7US, so make sure you buy a bottle or you're drinking during 2x1 Happy Hour. The resort has a "no cash" policy. This means you must sign for EVERYTHING. Word to the wise..keep a close eye on your ongoing billing. We found several errors, almost daily, that would have normally gone un-noticed at the end of the vacation.

FOOD- Del Lago Restaurant has a different buffet and show each evening. Check out the welcome books early or you may miss the best options. I think seafood night is either Saturday or Sunday...which we missed! There is a variety of food available, but we enjoyed their breakfast buffet best. I'm not sure of the cost as it was part of the presentation package. The shows were not classic Mexican. They were considered "NEW AGE", but we considered them "ODD". "ODD MUSIC/ODD COSTUMES/ODD DANCES". We tried to be open to the "ART", but did not enjoy them. HAVANA MOON-was probably the best sit down dinner we had. They had a selections available that ranged from pizza to thai to steak and the service was very attentive. They are also by the beach which was nice for an evening stroll. BLUE FISH- This was casual food served pool side and probably the best that we had. Excellent fish tacos, tuna sashimi and out of this world cheesesteaks. Wish we would have tried the cheesesteaks sooner!

TOURS- We took the EXPRESS Chichen Itza tour. It has been declared one on the new seven wonders of the world. This tour company provided a beautiful, comfortable and air conditioned bus & does something I saw nobody else do...They provide umbrellas to guard against the sun during your walk. As silly as this sounds, it gets HOT! Other sweaty tourists were commenting on our umbrellas during the tour. TAKE ONE, you'll need it! The Mayans were sun people for a reason! Also included, you will be given a very lite breakfast in the form of juice and a pastry, a sit down Mexican buffet with drinks at the cenote, tour of Chichen Itza and drinks on the return to your hotel. It's a long day, but a big part of the culture and something that you just have to experience.

CAR RENTAL- You could survive without one, but if you like the freedom to explore as we do, the best price came from CARRENTALS.COM Within a week of travel, the price dropped about $200 (to $208 for a tracker) while the car rental sites directly were running about $400. Quite a savings!

All in all, it was an enjoyable vacation. The prices however were much more expensive than I have ever experienced in Mexico. It is a modern facility and very Americanized, with cost to match. I have been going to Puerto Vallarta for 20 years. To me, that IS Mexico. As a local we were speaking with stated best...this is not Mexico, it is Miami Mexico!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank WE2GO
Reviewed 1 December 2009

My family bought into Mayan Palace several years ago and upgraded to Grand Mayan after that and we couldn't be happier. We go twice a year and usually end up at the Riviera Maya resort. If you are looking for a crazy spring break then you don't want to come here. Stick to a hotel on the Cancun strip. If you are wanting to get away from all the crazy college kids or just want an extremely nice resort though.....I wouldn't go anywhere else. The rooms are luxurious, the pool is breath-taking, the staff is extremely nice, fun, and willing to help you with ANYTHING you need. We were sold after the first trip there and haven't regretted it at all. I go with friends and/or family and its always been a good time.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kofola
Reviewed 29 November 2009

This hotel was beautiful and the staff was great - esp. the entertainment staff. Listen to the other reviews when they say to bring bug spray, as we were all covered in mosquito bites. As a group of young people, I just want to mention that there isn't a lot to do at night at this resort - there aren't any shows and there isn't a disco. We had fun at the karaoke and the beach party was nice, but the nights with the dinner/show for a fee there wasn't much to do but hang out. I do recommend the live band in the restaurant down by the beach. I've had a lot more fun at other resorts where there is night life!

The rooms had plenty of room for the allowed 8 people, but the "pull out" couches would definitely be more comfortable for children rather than adults.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank GoodDaySunshine11
Reviewed 27 November 2009

I would echo the views of the most recent reviewers, but have had some different experiences. I needed to use some RCI points by the end of the year, and the Grand Mayan was suggested to me. It's just 20 minutes from Cancun Airport and the highway is fantastic (rent a car for the duration of your stay) and the exit to the resort is well-marked. I was in Building 8, in "The Jungle," which was about a 7-minute walk from the Lobby on a winding path. Once I was acclimated to the layout of the resort (which is overwhelming), I enjoyed the leisurely walk to the pools and the beach, past the flamingos and small lagoons with ducks and herons. I did not experience long waits for the shuttle to or from my building when I needed it.

My 1-BR suite faced the golf course and parking lot, and it was very noisy at all times of the day/early evening, because the shuttles were going constantly and the gardeners and other maintenance people were always doing something that was loud. If you are assigned to a building in "the Jungle," ask for a room on the Jungle side--better view, less noise. The beds are very hard. A large washer and dryer in each building cost 40 pesos each.

I went to Playa del Carmen for groceries--the 1-BR had a nice kitchen--and I agree that food prices in the resort restaurants are high and comparable to DC restaurants. PDC is about 20 minutes away on the very good highway, and it does have some interesting things to see.

I went to Coba to see the Mayan ruins. It's not as touristy as Tulum and Xel-Ha, and there were no tour buses. It is a longer drive, but not as far as Chichen-Itza You can rent a bike to ride the flat wide path between the different structures, or hire a pedi-cab. It really is intriguing to see all the structures. Read up on the history of the Mayan civilization before going. On my return from Coba I stopped for lunch at the Lol-Ha restaurant on Akumal Beach, which is a lovely area with little shops and galleries.

There are a lot of family activities in the area, so enjoy! The spa is fantastic. The resort's Internet Cafe use is 70 pesos/hr or 40 pesos 1/2 hour, but wireless is accessible throughout the property. I did have a large restaurant charge on my room that was incorrect (waiter error) but the problem was quickly resolved before I checked out. All in all, it was a nice vacation.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Hacienda Tres Rios
Hacienda Tres Rios
#64 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!