“Lovely Resort, but I miss Mexico!”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 April 2008

El Dorado Royale
April 1-8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the El Dorado Royale for 7 nights, April 1-8, 2008. This was my second visit. I had stayed there when the resort first opened years ago when it was still being built. I ended up there when FunJet, represented by Lomas Travel, rescued me from the Reef Club, a resort filled with screaming children, most of them occupying seats at the swim up bar. I had always wanted to return to the EDR with my husband. I read many Trip Advisor reviews before our trip, so had a good idea what to expect.

Beach: The beach is not fabulous, but it has the beautiful white sand and turquoise water I love about the Mexican Caribbean. Both of our ocean front rooms had gorgeous ocean views. We were not bothered by the sandbags, which I already knew about—to me they look like rocks. There were lots of fish swimming around. I wish the beach was better for a long beach walk, but the setting is beautiful nevertheless. We really enjoyed sitting out by the ocean in front of building 4—there were lots of palapas and chaises. Despite what many people say about a hurricane washing away the beach, it is very much the way it was when I visited 7-8 years ago.

Pools: The pools are nice. I would like the big main pool a great deal better if they would get rid of the stupid cabana/beds around it. They take up far too much room, accommodate only a couple, and are always reserved early in the day. The pool was much nicer before they added them.

Rooms: We stayed in a top floor ocean front suite. Our first room, in building 40 (4026), was so close to the Guacamayas Bar that we could feel and hear the disco every night—it goes on until 2 a.m. I hated to leave the view, but the location destroyed any option for peaceful listening to the ocean or quiet conversation at night. The front desk offered us a room in building 55, which was a smoking building—no thanks! We had to wait another night to get a room in building 4 (424), which was great—another beautiful room, with one of the best locations on the property. The bed was comfortable, and housekeeping (Elvira) did a great job. Our room was always stocked with as much water as we asked for, which was a lot. We did not witness preferential treatment for casitas guests, and I would be happy with an oceanfront suite again. We took the time share tour (2 ½ hours), and I agree that the casitas are beautiful, but I can’t imagine paying so much extra for a room. I would rather spend money on something else, or on more travel!

Restaurants: We really appreciate fine cuisine. We have lived in Mexico and traveled there extensively, as well as in Europe and other places. That said, I would give EDR 3.5- 4 stars for their food. Most of our meals were excellent to exceptional. They are not of French or Argentinean standards, but are good, with nice presentation. We waited a few times, but never for more than 30”, and the Martini Bar is a great place to wait! We enjoyed the several course meals, and did not find most portions to be small, except at La Isla, where the delicious food also tends to arrive tepid. JoJo’s had excellent food, with several seafood choices and the advantage of being by the sea. Don’t miss the grouper! I think they should get rid of Fuentes and replace it with an authentic Mexican restaurant of the sort they had when I was there years ago. Mexico has so many creative distinctive dishes—it’s a shame EDR does not highlight them. We had a tasty meal at Cocotal’s Mexican night, and enjoyed Rincon Mexicano, a Mexican snack/lunch place outside Fuentes. The Bar de la Salud was very close to our second room, and wonderful. A smoothie made a great afternoon pick-me-up or lunch. We enjoyed D’Italia as well, but skip the salmon in pea sauce! The Chilean house wine at the resort is drinkable but just barely. Though the dining experience was pleasant, one buffet restaurant for lunch and dinner would be a nice addition.

Entertainment: After this trip, I’ve decided I would rather have a corny show than no show at all. Several years ago we stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum, and the shows were corny but fun. We have also stayed at the Allegro/Occidental Papagayo in Liberia, Costa Rica. The evening shows are something fun to do in the evening, something different from home. We spent most evenings listening to the bands and dancing at the Guacamayas Bar—love those swings! But the bands were mediocre to bad, playing the same kind of music every night.

Incident tipico de Mexico with an ugly American twist: The Entertainment team, what there is of it, strongly encouraged us to attend a special event at Fuentes one evening—tequila and wine tasting, with good food also. We planned our day accordingly, looking forward to a fiesta, maybe some good Mexican food, and possibly some good wine. At 6:30 we queued up with everyone else, where they were taking pictures at the door. But when we got inside, there were not nearly enough tables and chairs for everyone—and of course the tequila and “special” wine were at an extra charge. There were seats at a reserved table, probably for Casitas guests. We were fortunate to place my bag on a table to reserve it, but by the time we got some food, someone had taken our table. I went up to a man who looked like he was in charge, to say there were not enough tables and chairs, and he drew a blank face and completely ignored me. We walked around with our plates, looking for a place to at least set them down to eat. We saw a waiter setting up some bar tables, and I set my plate down, only to have some US woman come up to me and say, “Excuse me, this is a group!” I said, “you can have my food, then!” and left. Apparently she ranted at my husband after I left. After dinner at D’Italia we came back to see the mediocre acrobats, and that same woman had the nerve to come up to me and say something nasty, criticizing my manners. It was very upsetting, actually—not something I want to deal with on my vacation. I hope she does not have an early heart attack.

General Impression: The resort is very nice for a relaxing, trouble free getaway. For the most part the staff are warm, welcoming and professional. What has happened to the Maya Riviera, however, is heartbreaking if you love Mexico, as I do. It has become like an extension of the US. The Mexicans are the best hosts in the world, and they have learned to accommodate the preferences of their guests, predominantly US citizens, to the point that much of the Mexican experience has been eliminated. At the EDR no Spanish at all is required, and it’s not really possible to get a real margarita or cochinita pibil—in the Yucatan! Little Mexican music is played at the resort. I found it shocking that at JoJo’s they serve “nachos” with that horrible yellow sauce you see at US sports stadiums instead of cheese. I saw a woman from the US smacking her lips in appreciation as she ate “nachos” made with that yellow glue—apparently just what she was expecting. I applaud Fonatur for their great success in promoting tourism in that area, and I know it benefits the lives of many Mexicans, but I miss Mexico! And forget about bargains—the prices of artwork and handicrafts in Playa del Carmen are the same as in the U.S. And that’s after bargaining!

Memorable moment: Soaking in the Jacuzzi while looking out at the beautiful Caribbean and the clear blue sky.

9  Thank ibawaya
Write a ReviewReviews (10,778)

Reviewed 16 April 2008

We had an amazing honeymoon there. Their service was great. English was not a problem. Everything from check-in/check-out, to wait staff, to those driving you around and those booking your events were all very nice and polite. The fact that it is adults only made it a great time for a romantic get-a-way while still having the opportunity to meet people if desired.

Food was great. Wonderful selection of resturants and food. We were VERY satisfied with their food. Room service was great as well.

Rooms were excellent. Very clean and comfortable. Having A/C was a plus. We stayed in the casita suites which was nice. Definitey worth the extra money with a private beach area, extra pool areas, preferred dinner bookings, etc.

With reservations made for dinner, seating was never a problem. They were very accomadating if you wanted to change it as well. The only thing is that the special dinner on the beach was a bit chilly with the wind which made our food get cold faster but not the fault of the hotel. It was nice with musicians playing for us as we ate on the beach at night!

Beach wasn't as nice as we thought it'd be but that was because of the hurricane damage I guess. Having the nice lounge beds aside from just the lounge chairs were great. Reseving a spot was never a problem since we were in the casita area. It was wonderful having a private earea while still having access to the other public areas.

Agents were available to help you book day trips outside of the resort. Short drive into the city and defintely worth going to see the shops, try the resturants, etc.

Overall an excellent time and I'm stil trying to convince my husband to let us go back!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cpyoon
Reviewed 15 April 2008

My husband and I recently spent a week for our 30th anniversary at the El Dorado Royale in one of their Casita suites. It was a wonderful time--we were so spoiled. I really don't have anything negative to say. We had beautiful weather, the staff was friendly and very accomodating, the grounds and rooms were beautiful and very clean, and the food and drink were terrific. It is promoted as gourmet food dining, but if that sounds off-putting--it was not. Delicious food, varied menus, great desserts and breads. It was a big place, but you did not ever feel crowded by people. The staff was constantly cleaning and maintaining.
The ocean there was pretty rough which is probably the purpose of the brown sand bags other reviews have mentioned. It really is too bad about the bags, but I don't think you could go in the ocean if they weren't there--it would be too rough. As far as the bags being unsightly--oh well--the ocean is still beautiful regardless of the bags. In regard to the Casita suite--it was great; but I have a feeling even in a regular suite, it would have been nice also.

Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank NYTraveler43
Reviewed 13 April 2008

Well where do i start. This truly is a beautiful hotel.
My husband and i visited this hotel for 2 weeks for our honeymoon in september 2007. We paid extra to upgrade to a casita suite and it was well worth the money.

We arrived late at night and we were quite tired from the journey, when we got off the coach outside the hotel the staff immediately took our cases into the stunning lobby for us. The lobby is beautiful, there were fresh tropical flower arrangements (that seemed to be changed every other day) and we were greeted with a glass of sparkling wine. The hotel is devided into 2 sections; Hotel rooms and casita suites, depending on which room you have paid for you will either check in at the main reception or will be taken by golf buggy to the casita check in reception. We were given more wine here and a cooling face towel. Check in was speedy and we were then taken by buggy to our room.

Room; Oh what a room! We had a 1st floor suite rather than a ground floor or swim up (for which you pay extra). Ours was one of the newest blocks but i do not remeber the number. There was a huge 4 poster canopy bed which i could have got lost in. We had a massive wardrobe that swallowed up our 3 cases and all of our clothes (and shoes!). There was a jacuzzi in our room that was kept well stocked with oils/candels. In addition to this we had an outdoor shower which was devine, an indoor shower and bath, 2 sinks and a separate toilet cubicle. The bathroom was decorated with marble and tiles and was full of all the little bottles of shampoo and lotion that you could ever want. We had a large balcony with a stunning view of the pool and beach. There was a double bed on the balcony along with a table and chairs and a hammock. The suites below us were swim ups with direct access to the pool. We had considered paying for a swim up suite but decided to stay put as the view was gorgeous from our balcony. Our room was cleaned every day and we had new towels twice a day.

The pool; Each 'block' of casitas has its own pool and swim up pool bar staffed by one waiter. The waiter in our bar stayed the same for most of the trip and after day 1 he knew what drink you liked and they got stronger each time so be careful! If he it is not too busy at the pool the waiter will come to the beach (only about 10 paces from the pool) and bring you drinks there. There were guards walking aorund fairly frequently and we noticed that when they came into view the waiter frantically began to clean things and generally look busy even if everything was spotless. We later found out that these guards have the power to fire the staff on the spot should they catch them standing around or sitting talking to guests. So don't be offended it the waiter runs away mid conversation!

The beach; It was lovely, there were palapa's (4 poster double beds with curtains) along the whole casita section of the beach but get up early to stake your claim. Yes there are sandbags in the sea just off of the beach but in no way do they detract from the beauty, after all it was an act of nature that caused the beaches to be washed away and the hotel should not be critised for it. We actually found it fun to swim/snorkel out to them and climb on them to sunbathe which the locals don't mind at all.

Food; I had never travelled to an all inclusive resort before as we usually like to cook ourselves so i was apprehensive. I was not dissapointed in the slightest. ALL the food we ate was devine and beautifully presented. The hotel no longer operates a booking system so you might find that if you go to most popular restaraunts (La Feuntes, D'italia and Kampai ) you will be given a pager/buzzer and asked to return when they call you. This is fine because there are plenty of bars to choose from. Ladies, try the chocolate martini's in the reception based martini bar.....they are fabulous. The restaraunts all offer daily changing menus that i think cater for most tastes. If you really must have burger and chips these are also available at the pool side restaraunt. It can be quite a walk from the casitas to some of the restaraunts which are situated throughout the hotel grounds but there are regular buggy shuttles if you don't fancy walking. The only thing we ate that was not to our taste was in the foundue restaurant. It was a cheese fondue and tasted very alcoholic to me. Having said this the chocolate fondue that followed more than made up for it and the staff were obliging when we asked for more fruit to dip. I think that kampai was my favourite restaurant because the staff were incredibly friendly. We got to know Armandou who is a waiter there and towards the end of the holiday he would deliberately ask the hostess to let him be our waiter even if he had lost of other tables to wait on. He also makes cute little creatues out of melted plastic drink stirrers, two of which are on my mantle piece at home.

Tipping; This resort is FULL of americans but mainly texans, and we noticed that they tip heavily each time they buy a drink of finish a meal. The staff absolutely do not expect this and are not allowed to keep their own tips anyway. We tipped every now and again but mainly for excellent service which is what it is all about. To be honest i think that the only reasons the texans/americans tip so much is to make up for their obnoxious behaviour toward the staff. They really do treat the staff as second class citezens and it's embarrassing to watch.

Excursions; We went on 2 excursions. captain hook and Xel Ha. Captain hook was ok but better suited for families with children. Xel Ha is a natural water park and is lovely if you like snorkelling. Go to the floating bridge for the biggest fish but If you're not into snorkelling i wouldn't really bother going. It is easy to get a taxi from the hotel lobby and they will take you into cancun or playa del carmen. We went into Cancun one evening, it was nice to get out of the resort but it was much the same as other tourist centres.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel. If you can afford to upgrade it is worth the money but do not worry if not. You still get to eat in all the same restaruants and use all the facilities.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank somersetsunshine
Reviewed 12 April 2008

We just returned from 5 glorious days at EDR. If I could give you one bit of advice for this property it would be to book a casita. It is Sooooooooo worth the extra money. Once you've been there for awhile you start to feel like a "Star Bellied Sneech" The service /room and location is far superior than a jr. suite. If you stay in a casita, when you arrive you do not have to wait in line to check in, you are wisked away on a golf cart for a private check in in the casita section. Our check-in took 5min. Our room was great. We were on the ground level and soon found out this was the place to be. We had easy access to the pool, bar and beach right out our patio doors. The guests on the upper floors had to navigate many stairs everytime they came and went. I was literally 10 paces from the bar and pool and maybe 30 paces from the beach. It was amazing!!!!! It will be hard to stay in a hotel again, where I have to travel through the lobby to get to the pool and beach. We never had to worry about having a lounge chair by our private pool or a beach bed. There were 50 to choose from at any given time. The people in the jr. suite section had to set their alarms and "reserve" one very early in the morning. They also had a limited beach and walk to get there. Casita guests get to make reservations for dinner, which was nice. We never had to wait for a table. The service and food was great. We especially loved the dinner at La Isla and Kampai. My husband quickly learned to order the chicken and not the beef. The chicken entrees were always delicious and the beef was always over-cooked and not so good. My only complaint was that our room was never cleaned before 3pm. I'm used to having my room taken care of before noon, while I'm out doing other things. The stocked mini frig was awesome and the out door shower was unique.
Overall, we went for a relaxing vacation and got just what we ordered. We literally slept, ate, had a drink, sat in the sun, slept, had a drink, ate, walked on the beach, slept and had a drink,,,,,,,,,,We were not there to party or feel that we needed to be entertained. We were there to reconnect and recharge our batteries, so to speak and we did just that. I would go back in a heartbeat and would only consider booking a swim-up casita. It truly is a one-of-a-kind experience.

7  Thank LittleLMichigan
Reviewed 12 April 2008

This was our second visit in as many years to this resort.

Check in/out:
Smooth and painless. Room was ready on time

Accomodation:
We loved our casita the first time in the swim-up section (3014) and booked the same section for this years visit. We stayed 2 nights in the swim-up (3008) and then decided to upgrade to a 2nd floor infinity pool unit (3121). We were a bit diapppointed at the location of this upper room as it looked directly at the thatch roof of the pool bar. We decided that the lower swim-up units were more suitable for us.
All Casitas we have stayed in are beautiful & clean. We love the outdoor shower and the beds are really comfy.

Food:
Upon arriving we learned the Asian restaurant, Kampai, was closed for renos and the pizzeria bar, La Cabana, had burned down and was under reconstruction...our two favourite places were closed!!! We managed just fine spending most of our time at JoJo's, which is always great - the mahi mahi, calamari, octopus and the coconut ice cream were as wonderful as we remembered. La Cocotal was a great breakfast place , top notch buffet fare, omelet bar and some delish a la carte items (Huevos Rancheros) available.

We were pleased that Kampai opened for our last evening there and did not disappoint. We also had breakfast there on our last day. Another pleasant surprise was at the 11th hour; we were heading to JoJo's for lunch as we killed time awaiting our airport transfer, we noticed that there was much movement at La Cabana. When we inquired we were told they would be re-opening in 30 minutes!! We had one last Electric Lemonde at the Beach Bar and were first in line for a great lunch of pizza and burgers!! Don't miss this little gem. Room service was great as per usual.

Bars/NightLife:
What can I say...we spent most of our evenings at the Martini Bar where we gathered with our new pals Terrie and Dan, Nancy and Dave, and honeymooners Lyndsey and Andy. What a great bunch of people (we miss you all). The bartenders Hugo, Chente and Roman were a total hoot and made the best drinks! They went above and beyond to make each visit a great time. We went to only one show which was okay but its really not our thing; although my husband did rave about the house band's guitarist being a remarkable player. He remembered him from last year and picked out his sound from hundreds of feet out side the bar.

Pool bars were clean and efficient.

Misc:
We never played the towel game to get a palapa but often saw that some were available. We took each day as it came and were happy to hang by the pool. The sand 'whales' in the ocean are there for a reason and never bothered us at all. We noticed a huge improvement in the regrowth of the palms since the previous year. They have done an amazing job trying to restore the surroundings after the hurricane devastation.

This review is wordy, I know, but there is a lot to say. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Happy travels!

10  Thank OnTheGoLori
Reviewed 11 April 2008

My wife and I had stayed at the El Dorado Royale the year prior and decided to stay at their smaller property, El Dorado Royale Seaside Suites. If I had to compare the two, I would definitely say I enjoyed Seaside much more. They only have 280 rooms and all of the rooms are very close to the beach. Each room was big and had a jacuzzi, mini-fridge stocked with soft drinks, beer and water. They also had a DVD player which we used at night to watch some movies we had brought with us. I was surpised to learn that they had given us a free upgrade to a room that had the pool come up to the back porch. We really enjoyed this and would lay out some days in the pool and then wade over a short distance to the swim up bar. The grounds are beautiful with flowers, palm trees, etc. The beach was not as bad as I had read about in some of the reviews. They have beach beds all up and down the beach. Some are double deckers and some are swing beds. I had read some reviews where folks talked about having to get up at 4am to reserve a bed on the beach. It was not as bad as I was expecting. I did get up and hit the beach about 7am to reserve a bed. They have a guy patrolling the beach preventing people from laying their stuff on a bed and disappearing for most of the day. I was glad they did this as some people don't even hit the beach until after noon but had their towels on the bed like it was taken. The food at the restaurants was great! My favorites were the Italian and Asian. Service was excellent at all of the dining spots. The breakfasts were great as well at the outside dining area. They make a great omelet and have the New York Times there to read. One of the features I really liked was they have beach butlers bringing you drinks and or food all day at the beach. I would tip the lady $10 each morning and tell her to bring my wife and I's favorite drink every hour. She would come with our drinks about every 45 minutes. She also brought chips, salsa, guac, etc. We had a moonlight couples massage one night and that was really nice. The water in the ocean and the pools was freezing. The water is very clear and many folks were throwing pieces of bread in the water to feed the fish. There is a nude beach next door but it costs $100 per person for the day to use their facilities. It is owned by El Dorado as well. Many folks were snorkeling every day. My only complaint really and it is minor is that El Dorado uses sandbags to prevent erosion to the beach. It looks a bit unsightly. Overall, this is the best resort we have ever stayed and we have been all over the world. Enjoy!

Stayed: March 2008
3 mi away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!