Before scheduling our honeymoon, I searched throughout the Caribbean for the best all inclusive resort. What we wanted was good food, drinks, relaxing, great view of the beach from the room, and relatively good prices. The reason I chose EDR over Sandals, etc. came down to it being a little cheaper and by booking a Casita suite, we were guaranteed a view of the beach. I also liked the amenities of the casita suites, such as the outdoor shower, indoor jacuzzi, concierge service, reserved beach beds (palapas) and smaller, more private pools. So about our stay...
CHECK IN: When you first drive up, you pull off the highway into the mangrove jungle and aren't too sure what to expect. Then you pull up to the resort and it's nothing to speak of, just a round-about and an entrance. But when you get out of your car your bags are taken from you to be put into your room and you walk into the lobby and immediately get a glass of champagne. Then we waited through a short line, only to find out that casita guests have a different check in spot, so we were quickly put onto a golf cart and taken to our easy check in. At the Casita check-in we were handed a cool towel and they replenished our champagne. We were in our room within 30 minutes of arriving, had already met our concierge and were able to relax.
CONCIERGE SERVICE: When we arrived, we had a first floor casita, which is really nice and dips down a little bit from the beach and you could only see a little bit of the ocean. I wanted to be in a second floor room so that we could have a better view of the ocean from our balcony. Eddy made it happen early our second day, which was great. We made our dinner reservations for the whole vacation on the first day. Eddy was great; he was always available and ready to help.
OUR ROOM: We would really recommend the Casita's. Some junior suite rooms are "ocean view" and I don't know how they get away with this, it's just not always true. However, all of the casitas are very close to the water and most have good views of the ocean. The rooms were always very clean, our refrigerator was always restocked, and we had the towel art every evening. The AC worked great, would have been hot without. The outdoor shower was a great addition and so was the indoor jacuzzi. The bed was very comfortable and in the casitas there is a pillow menu! It sounds crazy, but you have about 7 to choose from so we called Eddy and they were delivered within 10 minutes. My wife swears the "natural" pillow made me stop snoring. You can request for your room to be cleaned at a certain time, which we should have done because we often would come back from the beach or dinner and have to wait for the room to be cleaned (there is a daytime cleaning and nighttime turndown service).
THE FOOD: I guess my wife and I aren't big food connoisseurs, but we loved the food. The portions were pretty small, but this allowed you to try all four courses at each meal. We had breakfast on our balcony all but one morning, which was great. The room service breakfast menu is smaller, but it was great for us. You order it the night before by placing your order on your doorknob. We used room service as our wakeup call. Lunch was great. JoJo's was my wife's favorite, she loved the fish sticks. For dinner it was all great, D'Italia was our favorite, we considered going back again but decided to try other places. Cocotal was our least favorite dinner, but it was still pretty good. We had the candle light dinner on the beach, which was very enjoyable. They also had special surprises for honeymooners. During our whole stay, we were very impressed with just these small attentions to detail! For example, my wife got a little cold in a restaurant and the host brought her a very nice and clean wrap.
THE BEACH: I'm not a huge fan of lying out in the sun all day, so having the palapas really allowed me to enjoy being on the beach all day. This was really nice! The beaches were OK. The sandbags do make it almost impossible to snorkel and they are somewhat of an eyesore. This was the ONLY downside to our trip, but we did not really let it bother us. We still really enjoyed the beach. We considered going to Playa del Maroma to snorkel. We decided not to do it because it isn’t all inclusive but heard it is beautiful and has great reefs.
OVERALL: We would recommend this place to anyone wanting to go on a relaxing honeymoon or anniversary or vacation. We are not big partiers, so we ate dinner and were back in our rooms. This was good with us, but I think there were plenty of options of things to do at night. We hated to leave and definitely want to go back. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Easy Market Spa, Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Stayforlong S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale