My husband and I stayed at EDR March 15-22 for our honeymoon...we did an exchange through RCI. We had an awesome time and can't wait to go back for an anniversary trip. It was our first time staying at an all-inclusive resort and going to Mexico....and we are very pleased with our first vacation to the area being at the EDR. If other resorts are of the same calibre you can't go wrong!
Our room was a Garden View Room in the 1500 block and it was perfect for us. We liked the central location to restaurants and bars (right behind Los Tucanes pool/bar) and it was only a short walk to the beach. We always had fresh towels and stocked fridge daily...and no problems with the AC. We did get to view the Casita's and they were beautiful, but we chose not to upgrade because our room suited us just fine! We never ever felt like we were treated differently because of where we were staying.
We both had alot of fun trying different foods...and never went hungry. While alot of the food is "presentation" oriented and smaller portions we got 3 or 4 courses for most meals so it was plenty! Both of us picked Jo Jo's as our favorite for lunch, and I loved La Isla for supper and my husband like Kampai best. We did not get to try the pizza/hamburger joint outside of Jo Jo's becuase it was closed, but the Mexican place behind Fuentes was really good...we ate there twice. For breakfast we ate at Fuentes everyday....it was that good! I loved the bread/cheese/meat/fruit assortment ...and my hubby like that he could have a different type of omelete everyday.
The only time we had to wait for dinner was for D'Italia...they give you the buzzer and you go up to the Martini Bar and have a couple drinks while you wait. No problem if you ask me! We did tend to eat dinner earlier in the evening so maybe people who showed up later had harder times getting the tables.
We spent more time laying out and swimming at the pools than at the beach. If you didn' t know about the beach sandbags you would probably we dissapointed, but we knew about them ahead of time and they actually weren't as bad as we though they'd be. We had alot of fun playing water polo and volleyball at Fuentes. We were actually pleasantly surprised that we never had a hard time getting some beach/pool chairs. We were up and about by 8:00 or 8:30 and could find one's at all the pools we went to.
This is getting really long so I'll be a bit more brief.....
-Check In/Out was easy.
-Room Service was great! It is 24 hours and the delivery people are really nice. We took full advantage of this amenity:)
-Went horseback riding/played with the spider monkeys through the on site tour. Worth the money....it was a fun morning!
-Took a Day Trip to Chichen Itza....it was a long day on the bus but worth it to see the ruins. We were there for the Spring Equinox...totally cool.
-We tipped the waitstaff and bartenders after meals or after a couple drinks. It seemed appreciated.
I really could go on and on about our experience....if anyone has any questions at all feel free to ask. We had a great time and will definetly go back some day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale