“What a Great Honeymoon!”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Wisconsin
“What a Great Honeymoon!”
Reviewed 17 April 2008

My husband and I stayed at EDR March 15-22 for our honeymoon...we did an exchange through RCI. We had an awesome time and can't wait to go back for an anniversary trip. It was our first time staying at an all-inclusive resort and going to Mexico....and we are very pleased with our first vacation to the area being at the EDR. If other resorts are of the same calibre you can't go wrong!

Our room was a Garden View Room in the 1500 block and it was perfect for us. We liked the central location to restaurants and bars (right behind Los Tucanes pool/bar) and it was only a short walk to the beach. We always had fresh towels and stocked fridge daily...and no problems with the AC. We did get to view the Casita's and they were beautiful, but we chose not to upgrade because our room suited us just fine! We never ever felt like we were treated differently because of where we were staying.

We both had alot of fun trying different foods...and never went hungry. While alot of the food is "presentation" oriented and smaller portions we got 3 or 4 courses for most meals so it was plenty! Both of us picked Jo Jo's as our favorite for lunch, and I loved La Isla for supper and my husband like Kampai best. We did not get to try the pizza/hamburger joint outside of Jo Jo's becuase it was closed, but the Mexican place behind Fuentes was really good...we ate there twice. For breakfast we ate at Fuentes everyday....it was that good! I loved the bread/cheese/meat/fruit assortment ...and my hubby like that he could have a different type of omelete everyday.

The only time we had to wait for dinner was for D'Italia...they give you the buzzer and you go up to the Martini Bar and have a couple drinks while you wait. No problem if you ask me! We did tend to eat dinner earlier in the evening so maybe people who showed up later had harder times getting the tables.

We spent more time laying out and swimming at the pools than at the beach. If you didn' t know about the beach sandbags you would probably we dissapointed, but we knew about them ahead of time and they actually weren't as bad as we though they'd be. We had alot of fun playing water polo and volleyball at Fuentes. We were actually pleasantly surprised that we never had a hard time getting some beach/pool chairs. We were up and about by 8:00 or 8:30 and could find one's at all the pools we went to.

This is getting really long so I'll be a bit more brief.....

-Check In/Out was easy.
-Room Service was great! It is 24 hours and the delivery people are really nice. We took full advantage of this amenity:)
-Went horseback riding/played with the spider monkeys through the on site tour. Worth the money....it was a fun morning!
-Took a Day Trip to Chichen Itza....it was a long day on the bus but worth it to see the ruins. We were there for the Spring Equinox...totally cool.
-We tipped the waitstaff and bartenders after meals or after a couple drinks. It seemed appreciated.

I really could go on and on about our experience....if anyone has any questions at all feel free to ask. We had a great time and will definetly go back some day!

• Liked — adults only, beautiful grounds, delicious food
  • Disliked — No snack bar to grab something quick to eat.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LosPedros

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,510)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed 16 April 2008

Before scheduling our honeymoon, I searched throughout the Caribbean for the best all inclusive resort. What we wanted was good food, drinks, relaxing, great view of the beach from the room, and relatively good prices. The reason I chose EDR over Sandals, etc. came down to it being a little cheaper and by booking a Casita suite, we were guaranteed a view of the beach. I also liked the amenities of the casita suites, such as the outdoor shower, indoor jacuzzi, concierge service, reserved beach beds (palapas) and smaller, more private pools. So about our stay...

CHECK IN: When you first drive up, you pull off the highway into the mangrove jungle and aren't too sure what to expect. Then you pull up to the resort and it's nothing to speak of, just a round-about and an entrance. But when you get out of your car your bags are taken from you to be put into your room and you walk into the lobby and immediately get a glass of champagne. Then we waited through a short line, only to find out that casita guests have a different check in spot, so we were quickly put onto a golf cart and taken to our easy check in. At the Casita check-in we were handed a cool towel and they replenished our champagne. We were in our room within 30 minutes of arriving, had already met our concierge and were able to relax.

CONCIERGE SERVICE: When we arrived, we had a first floor casita, which is really nice and dips down a little bit from the beach and you could only see a little bit of the ocean. I wanted to be in a second floor room so that we could have a better view of the ocean from our balcony. Eddy made it happen early our second day, which was great. We made our dinner reservations for the whole vacation on the first day. Eddy was great; he was always available and ready to help.

OUR ROOM: We would really recommend the Casita's. Some junior suite rooms are "ocean view" and I don't know how they get away with this, it's just not always true. However, all of the casitas are very close to the water and most have good views of the ocean. The rooms were always very clean, our refrigerator was always restocked, and we had the towel art every evening. The AC worked great, would have been hot without. The outdoor shower was a great addition and so was the indoor jacuzzi. The bed was very comfortable and in the casitas there is a pillow menu! It sounds crazy, but you have about 7 to choose from so we called Eddy and they were delivered within 10 minutes. My wife swears the "natural" pillow made me stop snoring. You can request for your room to be cleaned at a certain time, which we should have done because we often would come back from the beach or dinner and have to wait for the room to be cleaned (there is a daytime cleaning and nighttime turndown service).

THE FOOD: I guess my wife and I aren't big food connoisseurs, but we loved the food. The portions were pretty small, but this allowed you to try all four courses at each meal. We had breakfast on our balcony all but one morning, which was great. The room service breakfast menu is smaller, but it was great for us. You order it the night before by placing your order on your doorknob. We used room service as our wakeup call. Lunch was great. JoJo's was my wife's favorite, she loved the fish sticks. For dinner it was all great, D'Italia was our favorite, we considered going back again but decided to try other places. Cocotal was our least favorite dinner, but it was still pretty good. We had the candle light dinner on the beach, which was very enjoyable. They also had special surprises for honeymooners. During our whole stay, we were very impressed with just these small attentions to detail! For example, my wife got a little cold in a restaurant and the host brought her a very nice and clean wrap.

THE BEACH: I'm not a huge fan of lying out in the sun all day, so having the palapas really allowed me to enjoy being on the beach all day. This was really nice! The beaches were OK. The sandbags do make it almost impossible to snorkel and they are somewhat of an eyesore. This was the ONLY downside to our trip, but we did not really let it bother us. We still really enjoyed the beach. We considered going to Playa del Maroma to snorkel. We decided not to do it because it isn’t all inclusive but heard it is beautiful and has great reefs.

OVERALL: We would recommend this place to anyone wanting to go on a relaxing honeymoon or anniversary or vacation. We are not big partiers, so we ate dinner and were back in our rooms. This was good with us, but I think there were plenty of options of things to do at night. We hated to leave and definitely want to go back. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions.

6 Thank warehouse33
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 16 April 2008

Well, after reading all of the negative reviews we started to wonder about my friend's referral to this resort.....thankfully she was correct and all of the negative reviews didn't hold water. The resort is so big that at even at 95% occupancy it never felt like it. The grounds are pristine!!! Never did I see a cigarette or a piece of any kind of trash on the grounds..........Our room was geat (5324) We overlooked Fuentes Pool and you can see the ocean from the balcony. Now, the "mini bar" is a small refigerator, and yes it is not cold. Don't call maintenance for them to fix it becasue it's just the way it is...they keep it tempid...you can call for a bag of ice. We only waited one time for dinner and it was because we went late.......We waited at D'Italia for about an hour one evening........no biggie........we went upstairs to the Martini Bar and had some drinks........I would have to say that by and large all of the employees at EDR were very nice, sometimes they don't move as fast as we would like but that was our problem, not theirs. La Cabana is reopened and have the best lunch food I think. Their BBQ chicken pizza was to die for along with their draft beer!! Yum! Kampai was great as well and so was Jo Jo's. We did order room service 2x.....breakfast came timley and it was great. Dinner one night came late but they did call and it was still delicious....the best cheesecake!! One word of caution....we used Olympus Tours for our transportation and that was fine.......but our guy didn't tell us we could book excursions with them at the resort. We found out you can after we booked a snorkeling trip with the guys in the main lobby......then we found our Olympus guy (and others) stuck in a little room outside and on the side of the buidling. One group will push their excursions and the others will push their own. If I could do it over again I would check both out before I booked any excursion.....We went and did the Dolphin Discovery which was wonderful and I am glad we did it but it wasn't enough time with the dolphins. The beach....yes there are sandbags but they are there for a reason and it did not take away from my trip at all. It was still relaxing to lay on a chair and just listen to the sound of the water crashing...I can almost hear it now! We chose not to upgrade our room and I am so glad we didn't. We did get a 3rd floor which was nice even tho we lost out on using the swim up suites.....Not sure if I would choose 3rd floor again or the swim up...that's a tough one. Our end was very quiet..we had no issues with hearing the music from the disco places, I am sure some areas do tho. If you do any excursion that tells you to where biodegradable sunblock, consider yourselves warned......it doesn't work well..........we bought 40 or 45 and we still burned snorkeling on the morning trip! Where a t shirt if you don't have a base tan or dark skin. We were both very happy with our choice to stay at EDR and I would have no hesitation going again or referring anyone there either. Contact us if you have any questions.

• Liked — Large and not crowded feeling resort
  • Disliked — Nothing......
6 Thank Peaches13
Albuquerque

El Dorado Royale
April 1-8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the El Dorado Royale for 7 nights, April 1-8, 2008. This was my second visit. I had stayed there when the resort first opened years ago when it was still being built. I ended up there when FunJet, represented by Lomas Travel, rescued me from the Reef Club, a resort filled with screaming children, most of them occupying seats at the swim up bar. I had always wanted to return to the EDR with my husband. I read many Trip Advisor reviews before our trip, so had a good idea what to expect.

Beach: The beach is not fabulous, but it has the beautiful white sand and turquoise water I love about the Mexican Caribbean. Both of our ocean front rooms had gorgeous ocean views. We were not bothered by the sandbags, which I already knew about—to me they look like rocks. There were lots of fish swimming around. I wish the beach was better for a long beach walk, but the setting is beautiful nevertheless. We really enjoyed sitting out by the ocean in front of building 4—there were lots of palapas and chaises. Despite what many people say about a hurricane washing away the beach, it is very much the way it was when I visited 7-8 years ago.

Pools: The pools are nice. I would like the big main pool a great deal better if they would get rid of the stupid cabana/beds around it. They take up far too much room, accommodate only a couple, and are always reserved early in the day. The pool was much nicer before they added them.

Rooms: We stayed in a top floor ocean front suite. Our first room, in building 40 (4026), was so close to the Guacamayas Bar that we could feel and hear the disco every night—it goes on until 2 a.m. I hated to leave the view, but the location destroyed any option for peaceful listening to the ocean or quiet conversation at night. The front desk offered us a room in building 55, which was a smoking building—no thanks! We had to wait another night to get a room in building 4 (424), which was great—another beautiful room, with one of the best locations on the property. The bed was comfortable, and housekeeping (Elvira) did a great job. Our room was always stocked with as much water as we asked for, which was a lot. We did not witness preferential treatment for casitas guests, and I would be happy with an oceanfront suite again. We took the time share tour (2 ½ hours), and I agree that the casitas are beautiful, but I can’t imagine paying so much extra for a room. I would rather spend money on something else, or on more travel!

Restaurants: We really appreciate fine cuisine. We have lived in Mexico and traveled there extensively, as well as in Europe and other places. That said, I would give EDR 3.5- 4 stars for their food. Most of our meals were excellent to exceptional. They are not of French or Argentinean standards, but are good, with nice presentation. We waited a few times, but never for more than 30”, and the Martini Bar is a great place to wait! We enjoyed the several course meals, and did not find most portions to be small, except at La Isla, where the delicious food also tends to arrive tepid. JoJo’s had excellent food, with several seafood choices and the advantage of being by the sea. Don’t miss the grouper! I think they should get rid of Fuentes and replace it with an authentic Mexican restaurant of the sort they had when I was there years ago. Mexico has so many creative distinctive dishes—it’s a shame EDR does not highlight them. We had a tasty meal at Cocotal’s Mexican night, and enjoyed Rincon Mexicano, a Mexican snack/lunch place outside Fuentes. The Bar de la Salud was very close to our second room, and wonderful. A smoothie made a great afternoon pick-me-up or lunch. We enjoyed D’Italia as well, but skip the salmon in pea sauce! The Chilean house wine at the resort is drinkable but just barely. Though the dining experience was pleasant, one buffet restaurant for lunch and dinner would be a nice addition.

Entertainment: After this trip, I’ve decided I would rather have a corny show than no show at all. Several years ago we stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum, and the shows were corny but fun. We have also stayed at the Allegro/Occidental Papagayo in Liberia, Costa Rica. The evening shows are something fun to do in the evening, something different from home. We spent most evenings listening to the bands and dancing at the Guacamayas Bar—love those swings! But the bands were mediocre to bad, playing the same kind of music every night.

Incident tipico de Mexico with an ugly American twist: The Entertainment team, what there is of it, strongly encouraged us to attend a special event at Fuentes one evening—tequila and wine tasting, with good food also. We planned our day accordingly, looking forward to a fiesta, maybe some good Mexican food, and possibly some good wine. At 6:30 we queued up with everyone else, where they were taking pictures at the door. But when we got inside, there were not nearly enough tables and chairs for everyone—and of course the tequila and “special” wine were at an extra charge. There were seats at a reserved table, probably for Casitas guests. We were fortunate to place my bag on a table to reserve it, but by the time we got some food, someone had taken our table. I went up to a man who looked like he was in charge, to say there were not enough tables and chairs, and he drew a blank face and completely ignored me. We walked around with our plates, looking for a place to at least set them down to eat. We saw a waiter setting up some bar tables, and I set my plate down, only to have some US woman come up to me and say, “Excuse me, this is a group!” I said, “you can have my food, then!” and left. Apparently she ranted at my husband after I left. After dinner at D’Italia we came back to see the mediocre acrobats, and that same woman had the nerve to come up to me and say something nasty, criticizing my manners. It was very upsetting, actually—not something I want to deal with on my vacation. I hope she does not have an early heart attack.

General Impression: The resort is very nice for a relaxing, trouble free getaway. For the most part the staff are warm, welcoming and professional. What has happened to the Maya Riviera, however, is heartbreaking if you love Mexico, as I do. It has become like an extension of the US. The Mexicans are the best hosts in the world, and they have learned to accommodate the preferences of their guests, predominantly US citizens, to the point that much of the Mexican experience has been eliminated. At the EDR no Spanish at all is required, and it’s not really possible to get a real margarita or cochinita pibil—in the Yucatan! Little Mexican music is played at the resort. I found it shocking that at JoJo’s they serve “nachos” with that horrible yellow sauce you see at US sports stadiums instead of cheese. I saw a woman from the US smacking her lips in appreciation as she ate “nachos” made with that yellow glue—apparently just what she was expecting. I applaud Fonatur for their great success in promoting tourism in that area, and I know it benefits the lives of many Mexicans, but I miss Mexico! And forget about bargains—the prices of artwork and handicrafts in Playa del Carmen are the same as in the U.S. And that’s after bargaining!

Memorable moment: Soaking in the Jacuzzi while looking out at the beautiful Caribbean and the clear blue sky.

• Liked — View, comfort of rooms, food, service
  • Disliked — waiting for seating at restaurants
9 Thank ibawaya
Toronto
Reviewed 16 April 2008

We had an amazing honeymoon there. Their service was great. English was not a problem. Everything from check-in/check-out, to wait staff, to those driving you around and those booking your events were all very nice and polite. The fact that it is adults only made it a great time for a romantic get-a-way while still having the opportunity to meet people if desired.

Food was great. Wonderful selection of resturants and food. We were VERY satisfied with their food. Room service was great as well.

Rooms were excellent. Very clean and comfortable. Having A/C was a plus. We stayed in the casita suites which was nice. Definitey worth the extra money with a private beach area, extra pool areas, preferred dinner bookings, etc.

With reservations made for dinner, seating was never a problem. They were very accomadating if you wanted to change it as well. The only thing is that the special dinner on the beach was a bit chilly with the wind which made our food get cold faster but not the fault of the hotel. It was nice with musicians playing for us as we ate on the beach at night!

Beach wasn't as nice as we thought it'd be but that was because of the hurricane damage I guess. Having the nice lounge beds aside from just the lounge chairs were great. Reseving a spot was never a problem since we were in the casita area. It was wonderful having a private earea while still having access to the other public areas.

Agents were available to help you book day trips outside of the resort. Short drive into the city and defintely worth going to see the shops, try the resturants, etc.

Overall an excellent time and I'm stil trying to convince my husband to let us go back!

• Liked — Food and casita suite
  • Disliked — Not much! Pay for internet?
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cpyoon
Batavia, NY
Reviewed 15 April 2008

My husband and I recently spent a week for our 30th anniversary at the El Dorado Royale in one of their Casita suites. It was a wonderful time--we were so spoiled. I really don't have anything negative to say. We had beautiful weather, the staff was friendly and very accomodating, the grounds and rooms were beautiful and very clean, and the food and drink were terrific. It is promoted as gourmet food dining, but if that sounds off-putting--it was not. Delicious food, varied menus, great desserts and breads. It was a big place, but you did not ever feel crowded by people. The staff was constantly cleaning and maintaining.
The ocean there was pretty rough which is probably the purpose of the brown sand bags other reviews have mentioned. It really is too bad about the bags, but I don't think you could go in the ocean if they weren't there--it would be too rough. As far as the bags being unsightly--oh well--the ocean is still beautiful regardless of the bags. In regard to the Casita suite--it was great; but I have a feeling even in a regular suite, it would have been nice also.

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank NYTraveler43
Somerset
Reviewed 13 April 2008

Well where do i start. This truly is a beautiful hotel.
My husband and i visited this hotel for 2 weeks for our honeymoon in september 2007. We paid extra to upgrade to a casita suite and it was well worth the money.

We arrived late at night and we were quite tired from the journey, when we got off the coach outside the hotel the staff immediately took our cases into the stunning lobby for us. The lobby is beautiful, there were fresh tropical flower arrangements (that seemed to be changed every other day) and we were greeted with a glass of sparkling wine. The hotel is devided into 2 sections; Hotel rooms and casita suites, depending on which room you have paid for you will either check in at the main reception or will be taken by golf buggy to the casita check in reception. We were given more wine here and a cooling face towel. Check in was speedy and we were then taken by buggy to our room.

Room; Oh what a room! We had a 1st floor suite rather than a ground floor or swim up (for which you pay extra). Ours was one of the newest blocks but i do not remeber the number. There was a huge 4 poster canopy bed which i could have got lost in. We had a massive wardrobe that swallowed up our 3 cases and all of our clothes (and shoes!). There was a jacuzzi in our room that was kept well stocked with oils/candels. In addition to this we had an outdoor shower which was devine, an indoor shower and bath, 2 sinks and a separate toilet cubicle. The bathroom was decorated with marble and tiles and was full of all the little bottles of shampoo and lotion that you could ever want. We had a large balcony with a stunning view of the pool and beach. There was a double bed on the balcony along with a table and chairs and a hammock. The suites below us were swim ups with direct access to the pool. We had considered paying for a swim up suite but decided to stay put as the view was gorgeous from our balcony. Our room was cleaned every day and we had new towels twice a day.

The pool; Each 'block' of casitas has its own pool and swim up pool bar staffed by one waiter. The waiter in our bar stayed the same for most of the trip and after day 1 he knew what drink you liked and they got stronger each time so be careful! If he it is not too busy at the pool the waiter will come to the beach (only about 10 paces from the pool) and bring you drinks there. There were guards walking aorund fairly frequently and we noticed that when they came into view the waiter frantically began to clean things and generally look busy even if everything was spotless. We later found out that these guards have the power to fire the staff on the spot should they catch them standing around or sitting talking to guests. So don't be offended it the waiter runs away mid conversation!

The beach; It was lovely, there were palapa's (4 poster double beds with curtains) along the whole casita section of the beach but get up early to stake your claim. Yes there are sandbags in the sea just off of the beach but in no way do they detract from the beauty, after all it was an act of nature that caused the beaches to be washed away and the hotel should not be critised for it. We actually found it fun to swim/snorkel out to them and climb on them to sunbathe which the locals don't mind at all.

Food; I had never travelled to an all inclusive resort before as we usually like to cook ourselves so i was apprehensive. I was not dissapointed in the slightest. ALL the food we ate was devine and beautifully presented. The hotel no longer operates a booking system so you might find that if you go to most popular restaraunts (La Feuntes, D'italia and Kampai ) you will be given a pager/buzzer and asked to return when they call you. This is fine because there are plenty of bars to choose from. Ladies, try the chocolate martini's in the reception based martini bar.....they are fabulous. The restaraunts all offer daily changing menus that i think cater for most tastes. If you really must have burger and chips these are also available at the pool side restaraunt. It can be quite a walk from the casitas to some of the restaraunts which are situated throughout the hotel grounds but there are regular buggy shuttles if you don't fancy walking. The only thing we ate that was not to our taste was in the foundue restaurant. It was a cheese fondue and tasted very alcoholic to me. Having said this the chocolate fondue that followed more than made up for it and the staff were obliging when we asked for more fruit to dip. I think that kampai was my favourite restaurant because the staff were incredibly friendly. We got to know Armandou who is a waiter there and towards the end of the holiday he would deliberately ask the hostess to let him be our waiter even if he had lost of other tables to wait on. He also makes cute little creatues out of melted plastic drink stirrers, two of which are on my mantle piece at home.

Tipping; This resort is FULL of americans but mainly texans, and we noticed that they tip heavily each time they buy a drink of finish a meal. The staff absolutely do not expect this and are not allowed to keep their own tips anyway. We tipped every now and again but mainly for excellent service which is what it is all about. To be honest i think that the only reasons the texans/americans tip so much is to make up for their obnoxious behaviour toward the staff. They really do treat the staff as second class citezens and it's embarrassing to watch.

Excursions; We went on 2 excursions. captain hook and Xel Ha. Captain hook was ok but better suited for families with children. Xel Ha is a natural water park and is lovely if you like snorkelling. Go to the floating bridge for the biggest fish but If you're not into snorkelling i wouldn't really bother going. It is easy to get a taxi from the hotel lobby and they will take you into cancun or playa del carmen. We went into Cancun one evening, it was nice to get out of the resort but it was much the same as other tourist centres.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel. If you can afford to upgrade it is worth the money but do not worry if not. You still get to eat in all the same restaruants and use all the facilities.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,542 reviews

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!