“Surprising holiday experience”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
“Surprising holiday experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I loved my stay at El Dorado hotel. I wasn't sure to begin with if an all-inclusive package type holiday was for me as I am the sort of person who usually travels on city type breaks but my experience at El Dorado has changed my opinion completely.

This was one of the most relaxed and stress free holidays I have ever had. I had worried that a package holiday would be boring but there was more than enough to keep us entertained at the resort and whilst we did leave for a few excursions there is no need to.

FOOD- The food was very nice and Kampai was our favourite followed by D'italia. You could each as much as you want and I like that you had a waiter in every restaurant as I am not a fan of buffet type dining. There was never a wait for seats and service was excellent, waiters filled glasses often with wine.

DRINKS- I had worried about the quality of alcoholic drinks before I had booked this resort as I don't like any type of wine and my boyfriend loves his premium branded drink. There was no need to worry- Jack daniels, Jim Beam (with honey- delicious), Smirnoff, Absolute, Bombay saffire, etc, etc, etc. We particularly enjoyed the Martini bar as they can make any type of high quality cocktail (old-fashioned, Singapore sling, White Russian, etc).

ROOM- The room was huge, very comfortable and very clean. Free room service 24hrs but be prepared to wait a good hour. All the restaurants are close to all the rooms so room service is not necessary. We booked it just because we could. The room is cleaned every day and the minibar (free) is replenished every day.

Wi-Fi can be picked up throughout the whole resort- even on the beach. You also have waiters who walk along the beach and take orders for drinks. There are always sun loungers to be found by pools and on the beach, no need to get up early to put a towel out.

TIPS- I brought £400 with me- 100 one dollar bills and the rest in pesos (I got small denominations 20's and 50's) I brought most of the money home with me. There is absolutely no requirement to tip and being from Ireland I find the whole tipping process alien and uncomfortable. We left 20 pesos (95p) in our room every morning for the maid and another 20 pesos every night for the turn down maid. We only ever tipped around 1 or 2 dollars (70p-£1.40) at meals. We didn't tip at every meal, especially if it was a buffet type meal as we were serving ourselves. We gave 1 dollar tips to the waiters who brought us drinks on the beach, but not every drink. We tended not to tip if we went to the bar and ordered our own drink. I hate tipping- don't understand it, makes me feel uncomfortable giving someone 70p! But they appreciate any amount!

EXCURSIONS- We went to Coco Bongo- Surreal! Was a great night, buy the most expensive seats- Gold member, as its jammed but you'll get a seat and a waiter to get your all inclusive drinks (no health and safety here).
Coba Maya- Not worth the trip. Spent most of our time bus, the quality of food was poor. Whilst I was glad I got to climb the ruin and swim in the cenote and see a traditional village it was all a bit boring.
Cancun- Don't bother- Once you leave the resort people aren't as nice, constantly have people trying to sell you things you don't want- 'tat'!

We loved our stay- we paid £2600 for a week in El Dorado from London on the 14th July. Whilst it is a lot of money I felt we got every pennies worth from this resort. We are already planning our return visit but will definitely stay at least 2 weeks as 1 week wasn't long enough, especially with Jet lag getting in the way.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Blahyn
KarismaHotelsResorts, Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear friends from UK,

It has been a great pleasure to receive your warm review describing your most recent vacation at our premises.
It shows it´s your heart speaking.
We thank your compliments to our staff, services, facilities and atmosphere and I hope you give us the honor of another visit pretty soon.

Looking forward to welcome you again for another memorable relaxing holiday,

Best regards,

gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,482)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Was here in July 2013 for my honeymoon and it was an amazing experience. The photos do not do this place justice. The resort is absolutely stunning and nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff.

The shuttle bus service (ok, they are golf carts) round the resort are great if you are out late at night or it's wet for getting back to your room or from place to place.

For UK visitors some of the larger groups of Americans will appear very loud at times in the larger pools but then there is space for everyone and they can be quite fun.

The food is absolutely stunning and nothing I can put in this review will do it justice. The rooms are huge and of the highest quality. Try and get an Ocean View/Ocean Front room. We had a room down near the Casitas overlooking the health bar. It was a nice quiet location and only a 2 minute walk from the La Isla pool.

Room Tip: Make sure you have dinner on the beach - an unforgettable experience.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear honeymooners from Glasgow, United Kingdom,

We would like to thank you for your review about your experience at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma on Tripadvisor and for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon. We wish you well.

In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Patric D. Loeser and his Team we would like to express you our satisfaction when we read your motivating publication where you highlighted out the friendliness and excellent service of our team which ensured you an unforgettable experience during such as especial and romantic occasion.

In El Dorado Royale we are all committed to ensure our guests the best personalized service.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and celebrate your wedding aniversaries. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit,

Best regards,

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were recommended this resort by our U.K Thompson rep and we were not disappointed during our 2 week November break. Emma, our on site rep was excellent and we booked 3 great trips to Coco Bongo (Oh what a night!), swimming with dolphins (ticked off my wife's bucket list!) and a romantic dinner cruise with a sax player! When you first walk around this resort you cannot help noticing how spotlessly clean every single part is. The beach is the cleanest we have ever experienced & you can have your drinks brought to your sun lounger. Our sea view room in block 300 was also excellent and was kept spotless. It was cleaned every morning and our bed linen turned back every evening with the radio & chocolates waiting for us when we returned each evening. Every member of staff is soooo friendly and genuinely want you to have a great experience.
The food was a culinary delight and we ate breakfast mainly at Cocotal which offered a huge variety of choice. We made La Isla our destination for lunch because of the great choice of fresh salad and great tasting food. For our evening meal we tried the Rincon Mexicano (Excellent), D'Italia (Excellent), D'Italia Casitas (Excellent), Jo Jo's (Excellent) and we booked Fuentes twice for the culinary dining experience - please note that the wine is at an additional cost. If you stay for 2 weeks the entertainment in the Guacamayas Bar becomes repetitive. If you don't fancy going out, then take advantage of the room service (24/7). We had some great conversations at the Beach Bar and Goergi's shots became a daily tradition - ask for a "poop" in the grass" honestly you will love it. You can experience some great smoothies at the Health Bar which we did daily. It did rain heavy for a few days and there is not a lot to do at this point but frequent the numerous bars-the Martini Bar is a great place to take a few glasses of champagne and relax and then have a few more.... If you don't want to walk anywhere, you don't need to - just flag one of the many golf buggy's down and you will arrive at your destination. We did tip and we did receive excellent service $20 pesos is enough on each occasion. This is an ultimate holiday destination that has to be experienced and to top it all we flew home on the new 787 Dreamliner in 8hrs - got off the plane at a freezing cold Manchester and can only dream of returning soon to maintain my sanity... You will have a fantastic holiday if you choose this resort.

5 Thank Brian W
Dear guests from Carlisle, United Kingdom,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to learn how much you have enjoyed your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma and that our facilities and service were up to your expectations.

Your comments are extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue to improve our services.

We look forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican home.

Kind regards your ultimate holiday destination,

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Just back from our 11 night honeymoon at the El Dorado Royale. It is a fantastic resort, the staff are great, nothing is too much trouble. We had excellent service from Gregorio & Samy in the Cocotal & JoJo restaurants & Iran in the Santa Fe to name a few. Everywhere is maintained excellently & very clean. Will definitely go back again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guests from Chester, United Kingdom,

In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Patric D. Loeser and his Team, we would like to express you our satisfaction when we read your motivating publication where you highlighted out the friendliness and excellent service of our team which ensured you an unforgettable experience during such as especial and romantic occasion.

In El Dorado Royale we are all committed to ensure our guests the best personalized service as Gregorio, Iran & Samy provided you.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and celebrate you wedding aniversaries. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit,

Yours sincerely,

Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is a more serious review than one would normally expect but after 5 memorable visits to El Dorado Royale over the past 8 years, I hope that these few words act as due warning. Following on from my previous review, after which I recommended that couples seeking a relaxing and quiet holiday avoid "Spring Break" for US Colleges, I find myself recommending avoiding booking El Dorado (fabulous though it is in so many, many respects) during the US "Wedding Season" which appears to be November, after hurricane season, onwards (there were 16 weddings last week). I am now not sure what time is a good time to book! Why? Well, the hotel has always been, for us, the very best all-inclusive resort in the world and so it remains BUT one must be aware that, despite being marketed as an elegant, sophisticated couples' resort, it is rapidly turning into a (predominantly) US "Party Haven" - drunk people whooping and hollering in the main pool from breakfast time onwards; loud Wedding Parties of more than 36 people (some even carrying their own bottles of Tequila) in the "exclusive" restaurant, D'Italia Villas, with a massive detrimental impact on service for us ordinary tourists (the highlight of the evening being a member of staff wearing wellington boots wandering in amongst the diners, carrying a large plastic bucket, mopping up goodness-knows-what from under the tables) and more drunk Wedding Guests standing on the wooden seats suspended from the roof at the beach bar using them as children's swings. I really do feel that El Dorado Royale has reached a significant strategic turning-point - Party Hotel for US 18-30 something year olds OR the elegant, Gourmet Inclusive and staggeringly good couples' hotel it always has been. They really need to make the call and soon. If, as I fear, management chooses the no-doubt commercially attractive Party Hotel option, then, with sadness, this has been our last visit to the hotel that has set the standard for all-inclusive with spectacular service. As a final positive word, the newly redecorated rooms are superb.

Room Tip: It is worth paying the extra and getting an Ocean View Room and I would advise aiming for one in Blo...
8 Thank Chris M
Dear guests and friends Camberley, United Kingdom,

Thank you for selecting always the El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma as your holiday destination.

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, I am sorry to read your comments and finding out that your stay with us was not up to your expectations.

As we strive to make every guest feel special,
I will share your comment with our staff to learn from it.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to the El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma in order to make your stay a more memorable one.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us anytime before your next visit

Clare, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is an amazing resort. If you are looking for pampering and luxury this is the place to stay. I got married here and could not imagine a more perfect vacation. The room was beautiful and clean. The food was great. And the service was spot on. I never wanted to leave.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear wedding couple from Farwell, Texas,

We would like to thank you for your review about your experience at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma on Tripadvisor and for choosing our hotel for your wedding destination. We wish you well.

In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Patric D. Loeser and his Team, we would like to express you our satisfaction when we read your motivating publication where you highlighted out the friendliness and excellent service of our team which ensured you an unforgettable experience during such a once a lifetime special and romantic occasion.

Always at your services,

Frisco, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Beautiful resort, ugly beach with giant sandbag things in every part of the oceanview. No beach pics here. despite that the amenities were quite nice. Unfortunately we had extremely poor service at the El Dorado Royale in Playa Del Carmen, despite the beauty of the hotel we had to beg for room service and found from the moment we stepped foot on the property that we were virtually invisible. We arrived at 2:30 or so on Wednesday and our room wasn't ready, which is fine. She then said we'd been upgraded which wasn't asked for (later found out that 16 wedding parties there all wanted rooms together and many guests were bumped)

While we waited for our room we went to The Isla restaurant. We stood in a restaurant with maybe 5 people seated in it, for over 15 minutes before we were seated then waited a further 5-10 minutes to be served with water. We did not recieve our sparkling wine on check in. When we returned to the main lobby for our room key there was a line of people checking in, all with sparkling wine. We were still not offered the wine,(maybe a small thing? but part of our package) we then saw those guests get shuttled to their rooms while we stood waiting for someone to come get us. We finally went outside and asked for our luggage and said we'd walk to our room. Only then did we get taken to our room. By this time it was almost 5. We definitely did not get any time by the pool or on the beach.

We got to our room. We had a large balcony. There was one chair. There are two of us. We called the concierge and asked for another chair. We waited an hour. We called back. In a nutshell we called 6 times and waited a full 6 hours. Our chair was delivered at 11 pm that night. The following night we asked for a bucket of ice, we waited four hours and again called multiple times.
We went to see our 'personal concierge' as we had no hotel direction book, no ironing board, our fridge was warm (and went out) and no umbrella (much needed!) He told us the book didn't exist. We got none of the things I just listed. We went back again the next day (our valuable time!!) and had a different concierge, he produced the book while we stood there. This is the book that tells you all the restaurant times, dress code etc. We had a new fridge, and all the other things delivered within two hours. This was day 3 into our four day trip.

As we had no 'book' until almost our last day we didn't know all of the dress codes. We went to an italian restaurant, where my husband and I were seated, he had a collarless dress shirt and linen pants on. AFTER we were seated by the hostess she came to the table and told him his attire was not acceptable. We were so embrarrassed, every guest in the restaurant was looking at us. We should have just left, it was humiliating. Not what I would call customer service.

The hotel's motto is "nothing is too small' We asked for expresso for breakfast as we like strong coffee to be delivered to our room each morning. Each morning they argued that they don't do expresso for room service, but then brought it anyway. Our final morning they decided the expresso machine was 'broken' I think that's a pretty small thing to ask for. Evidently not!

Just feedback , if youknow of anyone traveling to Playa I would not suggest the El Dorado Royale to ANYONE. We spoke to many guests that were extremely unhappy. We didn't want much, room service here and there, an extra chair as there was two of us, the book that told us what to do and where to go... We paid $3000.00 for 4 nights. We were cheated. The El Dorado Royale's service was awful.
The food was 'ok' the 'gourmet' meant tiny portions, that's ok, you can order as much as you want, the best restaurant for our taste was Kampui. The Italia Casitas over-cooked a tuna steak so badly that a canned tuna would have been preferable. At least it would have had some moisture. Breakfast at the Cocatel was great, good service and a good mix of different foods. I would just have to give a mixed review on the food, I would expect a five star resort to be able to cook a tuna steak. We ate regular steak too that was mediocre.

Sewer was overflowing on one side of the resort and the smell was so bad it made your eyes water, fortunately it was just a passage through for us, some people had rooms on that side.

Keep your room on the ocean side if you can, and if you pay as much as we did then you're going to be disappointed with the view because of the dreadful sandbags:( The Casitas were very well insulated and we didn't hear any noise from outside. The air conditioning was great and we could adjust as needed.

Just wanted to give you a slight taste of our time there, we had a good time despite the service as it was our first vacation abroad together in almost 4 years, I can't list all the things that went wrong while we were there.

4 Thank Vanessa L
KarismaHotelsResorts, Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for detailed review of your experiences , I'm truly very sorry that your stay with us was less than exceptional and I would like you to know that I have noted your comments , addressing your feedback with our operations team. At the El Dorado Royale we strive to provide a superior level of service that sets us apart from the other 5 star resorts within the area.

All our guests should receive a champagne check in and all room are checked prior to each arrival to ensure that our high standards are met each time. I am appalled to hear of the problems that you experienced; I can assure you that this is not the norm and I have taken the appropriate action to ensure all our guests receive the very best in service and quality

I hope that you will choose to return to the El Dorado Royale so I can show you the improvements you have helped us to achieve and also treating you to the level of excellence that you so truly deserve.

Best Regards

The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,369 reviews

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!