I loved my stay at El Dorado hotel. I wasn't sure to begin with if an all-inclusive package type holiday was for me as I am the sort of person who usually travels on city type breaks but my experience at El Dorado has changed my opinion completely.
This was one of the most relaxed and stress free holidays I have ever had. I had worried that a package holiday would be boring but there was more than enough to keep us entertained at the resort and whilst we did leave for a few excursions there is no need to.
FOOD- The food was very nice and Kampai was our favourite followed by D'italia. You could each as much as you want and I like that you had a waiter in every restaurant as I am not a fan of buffet type dining. There was never a wait for seats and service was excellent, waiters filled glasses often with wine.
DRINKS- I had worried about the quality of alcoholic drinks before I had booked this resort as I don't like any type of wine and my boyfriend loves his premium branded drink. There was no need to worry- Jack daniels, Jim Beam (with honey- delicious), Smirnoff, Absolute, Bombay saffire, etc, etc, etc. We particularly enjoyed the Martini bar as they can make any type of high quality cocktail (old-fashioned, Singapore sling, White Russian, etc).
ROOM- The room was huge, very comfortable and very clean. Free room service 24hrs but be prepared to wait a good hour. All the restaurants are close to all the rooms so room service is not necessary. We booked it just because we could. The room is cleaned every day and the minibar (free) is replenished every day.
Wi-Fi can be picked up throughout the whole resort- even on the beach. You also have waiters who walk along the beach and take orders for drinks. There are always sun loungers to be found by pools and on the beach, no need to get up early to put a towel out.
TIPS- I brought £400 with me- 100 one dollar bills and the rest in pesos (I got small denominations 20's and 50's) I brought most of the money home with me. There is absolutely no requirement to tip and being from Ireland I find the whole tipping process alien and uncomfortable. We left 20 pesos (95p) in our room every morning for the maid and another 20 pesos every night for the turn down maid. We only ever tipped around 1 or 2 dollars (70p-£1.40) at meals. We didn't tip at every meal, especially if it was a buffet type meal as we were serving ourselves. We gave 1 dollar tips to the waiters who brought us drinks on the beach, but not every drink. We tended not to tip if we went to the bar and ordered our own drink. I hate tipping- don't understand it, makes me feel uncomfortable giving someone 70p! But they appreciate any amount!
EXCURSIONS- We went to Coco Bongo- Surreal! Was a great night, buy the most expensive seats- Gold member, as its jammed but you'll get a seat and a waiter to get your all inclusive drinks (no health and safety here).
Coba Maya- Not worth the trip. Spent most of our time bus, the quality of food was poor. Whilst I was glad I got to climb the ruin and swim in the cenote and see a traditional village it was all a bit boring.
Cancun- Don't bother- Once you leave the resort people aren't as nice, constantly have people trying to sell you things you don't want- 'tat'!
We loved our stay- we paid £2600 for a week in El Dorado from London on the 14th July. Whilst it is a lot of money I felt we got every pennies worth from this resort. We are already planning our return visit but will definitely stay at least 2 weeks as 1 week wasn't long enough, especially with Jet lag getting in the way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd, TravelUp, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale