“Was there for 21 days”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This resort had 5 star fantastic food in every restaurant, great service, good rooms with great housekeeping and lots of choice of clean well kept pools. All the bar, restaurant and the concierge staff (Angel and Vuchko) were fantastic! They all treated me so very well. Hospitable, attentive to my needs at all times, very personable and kind! The regular bar staff member at La Tucanes was absolutely fantastic and every day remembered to bring me my 2 waters with out asking, or to make my favorite drink! Great Martini bar!
I miss you all of you already and cant wait to come back!

Shuttle times were not as available to get to and from Playa during the day as I hoped. Taxi expensive..
No free Wi Fi! at the resort was a big detriment...
Otherwise all fantastic!
Susan Mc

Room Tip: Did not have an ocean view. Swim up suites may have been better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Susan M
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Guest,

It is indeed a pleasure to receive such a nice review highlighting our natural background, facilities, services and most of all, our staff professionalism and kindness you received from them, I will forward your comments to them; so they will know that their excellent job and passion is being recognized by or dear guests.

We know that there are certain things we need to improve, others that we need to adapt to our guests necessities; we will work on that for reaching all our guests satisfaction.

We would all be very pleased to have you back for another memorable vacation in El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma.

gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Write a ReviewReviews (10,639)

Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I just got back from El Dorado Royale (villas ) and we had an amazing time.

We did the couples massage on the beach and Javier was my massage therapist. He was absolutely amazing! I highly recommend it.
We did stay at the villas side which we enjoyed thoroughly but if you are looking for a more quiet and romantic stay away from the majority of people I would recommend staying on the Casitas side of the resort.
We booked our vacation through Justin at Beach Bum Vacations and our transfers to and from the resort were all taken care of and he also booked the flights for us. Very easy to work with and he is fast and responsive!
When you're leaving the airport you will get bombarded with people trying to sell you timeshares/presentations but just keep walking.
The Italian restaurant and the Oriental restaurants were our favorite…although all of the restaurants are delicious and gourmet. They also have a huge greenhouse on the property where they grow a lot their own food. We were going to take a tour of it on Saturday morning but we would have been late for our massages.
We really love our kids but we enjoyed being away from kids at this resort!
I would definitely go back!

17  Thank Dmilt

Dear Guest,

First I want to thank you for the 5 stars recognition; we have been honored for having chosen our resorts for these holiday and the fact that you show so satisfied with your experience, even when you did not have the time for taking the Greenhouse Tour, I am pretty sure you would have learned a lot about it;

Thank you very much for your kindly comments, they make us feel really proud of our site and staff. Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services.

It will be great to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable vacation in El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican Home.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at the El Dorado Royale (the villas side), from January 5th-12th. We were recommended El Dorado Royale by our travel agent. We booked it and then we tried getting a feel for it through YouTube videos and reviews and pictures. It looked really low key, but kindof boring. We were second guessing our choice, but we didn't buy the insurance so we didn't have a choice but to go with the El Dorado Royale regardless.
BOY ARE WE GLAD WE DID!!! This resort was above and beyond our imagination. From the moment we stepped off the plane, we did not have to do anything for ourselves.

AIRLINE/TRANSPORTATION: The vacation started on the airline. We flew Aeromexico non-stop from Kansas City to Cancun. Very smooth flight and free booze :-D Going through customs was a breeze and our bags were waiting there for us to pick up. When we got out of the parking lot, our Lomas Travel was waiting with our transport in a private, luxury SUV. No cramming into an overly crowded bus for us!

ARRIVAL: We arrived around 4:00 PM and were immediately greeted by bellboys who took our bags for us and we were welcomed with a glass of sparkling mango champagne. We were checked in with prompt and friendly service

ROOM: We were totally surprised that we were upgraded to an oceanview swim-up suite!! We originally did not go with the swim up suite because of the extra cost, so we were absolutely thrilled when we found out (upon arrival to our room!) that we were upgraded. There was a welcome bottle of champagne waiting on ice as well as a personalized letter from the manager welcoming us to the resort. The room was immaculate and the bed so comfortable. We got to choose our own pillows and we both chose the memory foam - we slept amazing. Our jacuzzi tub was huge as well as our walk-in shower. I love that everything in the room was made for two people. There is only glass separating the bathroom and the room, so it gives the room a more spacious feeling (but don't worry, the toilet is enclosed in a private area with a door!). The counters are all marble. We had patio furniture as well as a hammock which we loved. Our room had a lovely view of the ocean and was right across from the health bar and one of the main pools.

WEATHER: The weather the first four days were overcast with pop up showers. However, it did not have much negative effect on our stay. There was still plenty to do and plenty of roofs and shelters. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the sun came out and we lounged on the beach and by the pools

FOOD/DRINK: The food was wonderful. Very gourmet. It was very fun for my husband and I to try new foods. The portions are small compared to American standard, but my husband and I liked it because it gave us a chance to order several different things from the menu. If we found that we liked one particular item, we would just order more of it. Our favorite restaurants was JoJos, D'Italia, and Kampai. JoJos is Carribean food, D'Italis gourmet Italian, and Kampai is the Japanese restaurant. We also enjoyed the health bar that had fresh smoothies, juices, and cookies. We enjoyed the room service on several occasions as a quick snack in between meals or a midnight snack. The longest we had to wait for room service was 40 minutes, the least amount was 10 minutes. The food in room service is not not nearly as good as the restaurants, and you can't order off the whole menu 24 hours a day. Beginning at Midnight, you can only order cesar salad without being charged. But it didn't matter to us since we were usually asleep by 11:00 anyway! The alcohol was great. It tasted a little bit watered down at some places, but that was fine with me since I am a lightweight and it helped me not get drunk. If you ask for more alcohol in your drinks, they will freely pour it. All of the staff is always offering tequila - even at breakfast! It was funny

STAFF: The staff everywhere we went were amazing. We weren't particularly thrilled with our personal consierge as he kept telling us we were eligible for certain perks and then calling back and saying he made a mistake and we weren't eligible. It didn't bother us the first time, but by the fourth time it got kind of annoying. But he was still friendly and tried his best. Everyone at the resort were so kind and we had our favorite waiters and certain places. They really go out of their way to help make your celebration a memory. Two different times, we got special desserts with "Happy Honeymoon!" written. Every time you said "thank you" their response would be, "It is my pleasure!" or "It's a pleasure to serve you!" They said it so genuinely and so friendly. It was a pleasure to be served by them!

TIPPING: We tipped everywhere we went. Tipping is not expected as we did not notice a lot of other people tipping, but they didn't get any less of the friendliness of service. I know they appreciate tips, but they don't expect them and it doesn't make a difference in their friendliness and effectiveness. We would leave between $3-5 per meal; and a little extra for our favorite servers. We spent about $200 in tips for 8 days, but we really thought they deserved the extra reward. We were SO happy with the service, we WANTED to give them more.

ATOMSPHERE: To me, this is definitely a romantic get-away or a trip you take with couples. It seems like it specializes in the romance and honeymoon, weddings, anniversaries, etc. If you are looking for the loud party scene, I don't think this is really the place for you. BUT we did see a couple of girls groups/trips who seemed to be having fun. But I would say about 90% of the guests were couples.

BEACH: The beach, in my opinion, was the most gorgeous one I have ever seen. And I have been to several! The sandbags are there to prevent erosion and heal some of the natural reefs that were destroyed by hurricanes in the past. I thought the sandbags would be ugly, but when I got there we hardly even noticed. They just look like pretty rocks. The whole time, the waves were too big to be able to swim. But neither of really cared about swimming in it. If you're looking for a beach to swim in, you might want to go somewhere else or find an excursion to take you to another swimmable beach. My husband and I just love hearing the powerful surf. It was a gorgeous teal/blue and the groundskeepers kept the beach immaculate

SURPRISES: We loved the turn down service at night. It was nice coming back to a room with our bed all ready to sleep, romantic music turned on, and the lights dimmed. Several times we had towel animals, rose petals, bottle of champagne, and one time we even had Tuxedo Strawberries waiting for us upon our return!! We will always remember those special touches!

ENTERTAINMENT: We saw the fire show, the magic show, and the El Dorado Idol (Karaoke contest). It was fun, they really put an effort in their entertainment. They have a new show every night.

All-in-all, I cannot say enough positive things about the El Dorado Royale. They truly made our honeymoon so memorable and special. This was our first time at an all inclusive, but we met several other people who have stayed at other all-inclusives and they said El Dorado was by far the best. El Dorado has set the bar so high, that we are afraid we will be disappointed anywhere else. We are already planning our trip back for next year!!

Mr and Mrs Odneal
Room 106
Stayed: January 5th-12th.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106. It is an oceanview swim up suite. It is closest to the Casitas side and very...
12  Thank Ellie C

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for rating us with the 5 stars award; we are very pleased knowing that you have chosen us for this special celebration; we really appreciate for have taken the time to write this lovely review with such a detailed description of our facilities, services, the staff and the whole experience you had. We are very proud to acknowledge you feel so enthusiastic about your recent vacation at our premises.

We are sure that sharing your comments with our team will be a really nice way to encourage and motivate them in order to improve the service that we provide. Your review will undoubtedly will help our future guests when they decide to choose their next destination in the Riviera Maya.

Hopefully you can allow us to host you one more time in the near future for celebrating one or more of your coming Anniversaries in your Mexican Home at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed in room 318, an ocean front room at the El Dorado Royale end of the resort. I could wax lyrical about this place but many others on TA have done that, so I will be concise.

Accommodation: beautiful, clean, well appointed, no complaints;

Resort: beautiful, very well maintained, pools great, beach fine if somewhat visually tainted by the presence of the much talked about sand bags;

Food: Generally excellent, especially the Italian restaurants, Fuentes, and Kampai (for dinner), Jo Jo's and Al Rincon (for lunch), and Cocotal (for breakfast);

Service: Generally very good (exceptions: La Isla poor at breakfast; Jo Jo's poor at dinner) but they could do with more staff during the busy periods;

Bars: Good, the bar near Kampai is best for a quiet pre-dinner cocktail;

Problems: They don't have real OJ at breakfast - Sunny D is not real OJ!

If you've booked a holiday here enjoy! We did.

Room Tip: Blocks 1, 2, 3, and 4 are the best at the El Dorado Royale end of the resort.
4  Thank GTWL
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Guest:

We have been honored with your kindly review, and having chosen our resorts for this special trip and the fact that you show so satisfied with our services and staff, your experience makes us feel really proud.

Your lovely review allow us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services.

It will be great to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable vacation.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We had an entry level room and it was very nice. The bathroom had plenty of space, as did the room. The resort is fairly large, but it was easy to get around. The food is very good for an all-inclusive resort. It rained the entire time we were there, but we were able to get a massage in a cabana by the beach, which was unbelievable and extremely reasonable. The mexican restaurant on property was fabulous and served great margaritas!! I recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest:

We heartily appreciate that you have taken the time to write and share your review of our resort El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma on Trip Advisor.

We are sure futures travelers will find it pretty useful.

It has been an unfortunate coincidence that the weather did not contribute much to your enjoyment of this wonderful place, called Riviera Maya.

We hope we can welcome you once again and provide you a more pleasant vacation with a nice weather.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We have traveled quite a bit as a couple & never has any resort even come close to this one. The staff are extremely friendly, helpful & want you to have the best vacation. The food is simply mind blowing, it is off the scale. We enjoyed a honeymoon dinner on the beach which was so romantic. I can not say enough about this resort...we can't wait to come back!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KMac0211

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice and touching review of your recent experience at our premises.

It feels really good to acknowledge, through your words, that all our efforts to achieve our guests’ satisfaction have been worth it. I am sure your comments will be a very nice motivation for our staff to keep on working and for future travelers to try our destination.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma your Mexican Home.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The resort was great. The staff was helpful and friendly, but we had our vacation destroyed by a taxi driver called in by the resort to drive us to the airport. The fare he asked for at the airport was more than the fare I was told by the bell man at El Dorado Royale. We had the same experience going into Playa del Carmen. Don't use the taxi's. Use the tour company vans for transportation.

1  Thank Adam5700

Dear Guest:

We very much appreciate your review with a very important point about this interesting matter.

We understand your experience was not exactly perfect but you can be certain that all your comments will be taken into consideration.

We have worked very hard in this area in order to avoid other guests get the same impression or the same experience.

Thank you so much for your contribution.

Hopefully you will allow us to host you in the future in El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!