“Big bang for the buck!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sylvania, Ohio
“Big bang for the buck!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My wife and I just returned from a week long vacation at this resort and had a wonderful time. The resort staff were all very welcoming and helpful (especially Vucko and Angel!). We really enjoyed how inviting the K-Team staff was when it came to day time activities. They were really great at getting folks involved in volleyball, kayaking, soccer, etc.

The food was great but we wished they offered more "relaxed" dinning options for the daytime…but than again it's hard to complain about 3 - 5 course meals. D-Italiano and Kampai were by far the best dinner options! We weren't big fans of Las Fuentes (the dinner theater).

The beaches were beautiful and had more than enough chairs and beds to accommodate everyone. Their artificial reefs were kind of an eye sore but it's for a good cause. The pools were very nice and almost all had a swim up bar.

Needless to say, we would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kurtman2014
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guest¡¡

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor of your recent experience in our hotel. It feels really good to acknowledge, through your words, that all our efforts to achieve our guests’ satisfaction have been worth it.

I am sure your comments will be a very nice motivation for our staff to keep on working, following the line and achieving our guests satisfactions, this comments will be very helpful for future travelers to try our destination.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican Home.

gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,601)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I have been to 5 resorts in Mexico now, 3 Karisma. While this resort was good my favorite of theirs is still Seaside Suites. This was our 3rd trip booking with Nanda from Beach Bum. She is always so helpful! She will give you great tips but here are a few notes based on our experience that may help someone when picking which resort to visit.

Pro:
-Lots of restaurants and bars to choose from.
-Every liquor brand you could want. (odd though to have a martini bar with no martini menu)
-Lots of pools
-Fantastic Service, always an "hola" as we pass
-Concierge (Juan) outside our villa was great.
-Lots of food choices but heads up, small portions! Order each course.
-Sky Massage was an awesome, unique place to relax.
-Pool waiters were good. Beach could use more.

Con:
-Not a scenic beach - sandbags protect the reef and it is rocky.
-Overall clean but they don't always pickup. For example there was a water bottle outside our room for 3 days. They also left the cleaning cart outside our doorway each night. At least cover it.
-On arrival there were bugs all over the balcony door (inside and out) we had to have them come spray. It was too buggy to use our balcony. Bring bug spray! We got bit.
-We were promised a welcome basket and while the note saying "this is our gift" was in the room it never came. Even when talking to Juan who made a note about it.
-Golf Carts - the resort is large so they take you around by cart if you desire. The problem is the carts are always zipping around. It's like you are walking in the street and need to be on the lookout. Especially at night as their headlights are dim. They never honk or slow down. They should use the back path and not long the beach side. I felt like I was in Chicago!
-Food often came just warm or even cold. Rarely hot.
-When you order off of a menu don't expect to get what is written. For example, I ordered a brownie at Santa Fe with coffee ice cream and hot fudge. What I got was a plain brownie. A melon, papaya juice at the health bar and not once but twice got apple, plum and not a piece of melon in sight.
-Even if you come early they often didn't have what we ordered. The 7pm reso when we ordered the "famous short rib", we were told they didnt have it. Tell us when we sit down so we don't decide then have to re-choose. One morning we ordered breakfast burritos. 20 minutes after our yogurt came the waiter finally came over not with food, but to tell us they were out of tortillas. We asked for the menu to re-select our breakfast and he said he would go check on the tortillas. 10 minutes later we walked out as we were wasting sun time and he was not to be found.

Room Tip: The one thing we didnt know going into it is that you could use the restaurants and bars on the Casa...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank GMSReview
Dear Guest¡¡

I want to thank you for taking the time writing your review, I can assure you that I have carefully considered your comments, as they are really important for us to achieve our guests satisfaction. I am very sorry knowing that your experience did not live up to previous holidays in other resorts in Mexico. This is very disappointing to here as we have a large number of loyal clients that return year upon year and we do everything possible to ensure that we surpass their expectations no matter if it is the first or fifteenth stay.

We are concerned because of the aspects of the food that you did not enjoy on this vacation, even when our resort is specialized in a la cart menu and our goal is offer to all of our guest a truly Gourmet Inclusive and romantic experience. I will discuss this with our Executive Chef and head of Food and Beverage.

Because of the tropical area we are located and the weather we have had during the last weeks, we have taken the respective measures to control the bugs, also a Fumigation company is in charge of that and verify the entire hotel in order to avoid other guests have the same issue or impression.

After read through your review, I will share this with my operations team. As we are dedicated to our guests and ensuring their experience like the very best.

Hopefully you can give us the opportunity of hosting you one more time in El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We vacationed at the El Dorado Royale from January 11th to the 18th. This was our eighth all- inclusive and it's tied for first place in our book. The only other all-inclusive that is comparable is the Riu Palace in Playa Del Carmen. This resort is beautiful! Long, sandy beach with plenty of loungers and waiters; large, comfortable, clean room, excellent food, any top shelf liquor you could think of, great room service, fantastic concierges, many pools, and the best staff anyone could ask for. I would definitely return for another relaxing pampered experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SuzieBoston_MA
Dear Guest¡¡

Many thanks for sharing your review with all the TripAdvisor readers. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful relaxing vacation, also that we exceeded all expectations in many ways. I hope that you have saved memories that can be treasured for years to come.

I am happy to know that you received a superior level of service in each and every place you went and I enjoyed reading that this had such an impact on your vacation, as I have said many times before, I am very proud of each and every employee of this resort, because they are definitely a big part of the vacation experience. Be sure that I will address your kindly comments to our staff.

We hope to see you soon in El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican Home.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My friends and I were looking for a nice getaway to escape winter. Carey at BEACH BUM VACATIONS helped us from the start and made the entire planning process a breeze. This was the first place she recommended and it was spot on meeting all of our requirements and expectations.

The resort was beautiful, very clean and well maintained. Plenty of pool and beach options based on your preference. Food and beverage service was prompt while at the pool or beach. The spa at the resort is very nice if you're looking for extra relaxation. There is a wide variety of restaurants at the resort--all were wonderful! I seriously miss the food.

I would absolutely go back to El Dorado. It was an amazing vacation and I did NOT want to leave!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
20 Thank Laura_D_3142014
Dear Guest¡¡

Thank you so much for your feedback about our hotel. Let me express my gratitude for taking the time to write about your stay at our premises.

I am very happy to hear that the facilities, services, staff, along with your travel agent, have been able exceed your expectations; it was a great honor to be chosen as the host of your holiday, we hope that you will return time and time again to relive the wonderful memories we created together
I am sure a lot of travelers will consider it useful and clarifying, really valuable information when choosing their next destination in the Riviera Maya.

Hoping to receive you once again very soon at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican Home,

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 January 2014

A heartfelt "thank you " to Nancy and Tom Finn of Island Getaways for their assistance in providing us the opportunity to experience an unforgettable " dream come true " vacation. From comfortable flight, and transportation service, to the beautiful hotel room upgrade, the exceptional concierge service, the exquisite cuisine and the cleanliness of the resort certainly met our standards. We would recommend booking through Island Getaways to ensure a safe and fun holiday experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abid J
Dear Guest¡¡

First I want to thank you for taking the time writing and sharing your feedback with all TripAdvisor followers. We have had a great pleasure reading your nice review.

Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services and most of all, our staff. Your comments are a very good motivation for us to keep working every day in order to achieve all our guests satisfaction and expectations.

I am very happy to hear that my staff along with your travel agent made you have a wonderful and memorable vacation staying at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Crawley
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks arriving on 30th December 2013.
We expected this hotel to be good quality and were not disappointed; every aspect demonstrates care and attention to detail. Staff were always helpful and cheerful even when it was raining. It sets a very high standard for us to match on the next holiday.
The hotel spans almost a mile of beach so it is a long walk from one end to the other and is almost 10 minutes walk from the lobby to the beach thus the location of your room can be quite critical. However there are plenty of electric buggies and it is quite easy to get transport around the site if you want to use them. We had a beach front 1st floor suite (No. 0417) and it was perfect. Close to many amenities and the beach, but away from any significant noise. Swim-up suites did not seem to us to offer any particular advantages and had no view of the beach.
The room facilities were the best we have had in many holidays in 4 and 5 star hotels; plenty of storage and everything worked. The king-size bed was so high it was difficult to sit on but we slept very well.
We found the best place for a buffet breakfast (plus omelette cooked to your order) was Cocotal restaurant (as the hotel is promoting the a la carte offering this was not obvious). The lunch areas around the main pool; Pizza bar and JoJo’s were of appeal to those with larger appetites but for us they offered quantity rather than the very high quality provided elsewhere. We found the Isla restaurant with a salad bar and lighter offerings suited us best. Bar service everywhere was excellent.
The Dinner restaurants were excellent, particularly the Italian (the Casitas Italian was our favourite). The Kampai oriental and Mexican were also very good and Cocotal is not to be ignored. In our 14 days stay we could always find something new to try. We like to eat quite early so arrived at the restaurants by 18:45 and had no problem with getting a table. As the villa guests have no option for reserving a table (Casitas guests do) those arriving later should note that they may be told that they have a 20-30 minute wait. The house wine offers reasonable quality with a choice of 3 varietal reds (Cabernet sauvignon, merlot and pinot noir) 2 white (chardonay and sauvignon blanc), rose and sparkling but you will always be offered the wine list for buying something more special. The coffee is something that generally doesn’t yet match European expectations but we did manage to find acceptable espresso in the Martini bar and there is a self-service machine at the health bar, which also does espresso. The fruit smoothies from the health bar were a highlight of our mornings.
We cannot comment on the entertainment as the shows started around 9:30 and we didn’t manage to stay up long enough to try them. There was remarkably little information on what the show was on any day, so little incentive to venture out. We were happy that the entertainment was never intrusive. Even the volley ball on the beach did not distract. For those who run, jog or cycle or use the gym the facilities were all available.
The weather was not particularly kind to us but we had 50% of days with adequate sunshine and a temperature above 22 degrees every day so we managed to use loungers and beds and always found somewhere; whatever the time of day. The beach has plenty of loungers and space and we spent time watching the pelicans diving for fish. The sandbags in the sea have been mentioned frequently and protect the beach from the full force of the waves; we did not manage to swim in the sea as there was a red flag every day, thus returned home with snorkel gear unused.

Room Tip: Beach front sea-view 1st floor in blocks 03 04 and 05. Rooms 17 and 18 have no-one above them
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank BrantPG
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Guest¡¡

First we want to thank you, you took the time for writing and sharing your feedback with us and all the Tripadvisor users. We have been honored with your detailed review, also we are thankful because you choose our resorts for these special holiday and the fact that you show so satisfied with your experience makes us feel really proud of our site and staff.

Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services.

It will be great to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable vacation in your El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Austin, Texas, USA
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Went here in May with my boyfriend. I purchased the trip through Funjet not knowing which El Dorado resort I would get. Luckily, it was El Dorado Royale! We loved it. The resort is huge. Since I booked it rather cheap, the room was not in the ideal locale. We were at the far end of the resort, but were able to find tram service to the center of the resort without difficulty. They offer a variety of exercise classes. I did yoga on the beach which was amazing. There are several pools, some more lively than others. The restaurants were phenomenal! My favorite was the cooking demo. I also did a bike tour and was able to see the greenhouse which provides the fresh veggies and fruits available at the resort. We were offered to go to the time share presentation in exchange for a free candlelight dinner on the beach. I had no intent to purchase anything, but ended up buying it. Not too sure if it's worth it, but the amount I paid to me was worth the upgrade we received. Once we purchased the "timeshare" we were upgraded to an infinity pool casita at the sister resort attached to El Dorado called El Dorado Casitas. Now that was AMAZING!!! If you prefer the more party atmosphere than El Dorado Royale is great. For a more serene vacation with a feel of a private island during the day, Casitas is best. Highly recommend both!!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank AnyssaM
Dear Guest¡¡

Thank you for your wonderful review about your stay at the El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma.

I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations and I would like you to know that I have taken note the issues mentioned with the room allocation, the assignments are based on the category that all our guests have booked. Nonetheless we do our best in order to provide the best location when it is possible.

I will certainly be taking all comments you have made into consideration and on your next visit , again, it was a great honor to host your holiday and I look forward to your return as a part of the family from El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican Home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!