“Very nice place to stay.”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Lake Elmo, Minnesota
“Very nice place to stay.”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is a very nice hotel with very good food at all three meals. My one complaint was that the coffee was too weak on this visit. On previous visits the coffee was top notch. This resort has a very nice walking path that runs along the ocean where you can get in many good walks. We were in Bldg 43, where Modesto took care of our room. He did an excellent job! Very kind person who worked very hard. The health food bar seemed of less quality than the last time we visited. They weren't very friendly and I disliked the small plastic go-cups. You need at least two of these small go-cups to equal one decent size healthy shake. Our room was great, I see no real need to upgrade. Bldg. 43 was one of the renovated buildings and was very solid. We don't spend a great deal of time in our room. Mostly we go and see and stay outdoors. There is plenty to see and do at this resort. They run golf carts around the resort all the time, so there is usually one going by if you prefer to ride where you are headed.

Room Tip: We were in Bldg 43 on the 3rd floor, was quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Butterflies1224

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,550)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We are on day 6 of our 14 day stay. This is our 4th stay at this resort (in room 4125 this time)
I have never written a review before but need to let everyone know its the incredible staff that make this a 5 star resort.
Special mention to Juan and Juan at Fuentes pool bar,Isabel on the beach,Irene in housekeeping,Manuel at Sante Fe and our sweet girls Karla and Daniela at cocotals.
Gracious to our amigo Alejandro the omelette chef at cocotals. Your the best!!!
Last but not least mucho gracias to our 'Muy buen amigos' Celestino and Efrain who treat us like family.
We were greeted by name with smiles and hugs by all of these wonderful people. We appreciate all of you.
To all of the staff of El Dorado Royal 'MUCHO GRACIAS'. These people work tirelessly to make this the vacation paradise that it is.
Our home away from home.
Scott and Joy Baskin

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scott and Joy B
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is a great hotel with friendly staff, plenty of different pool and beach areas each with their own character, the best food we have experienced at an all inclusive and with easy access to some amazing cultural sites. It does have some problems hence only 4 stars from us. I would however not hesitate to stay here again.

Layout

This is a large complex arranged in 'villas' of nearly 20 rooms in total on 3 floors on the 'Royale' side and a slightly exclusive 'casitas' side with maybe 8 sections of 16 rooms. I have added scans of the Royale and Casitas layouts to the review so you can get a feel of the resort.

Rooms - Royale

We had an ocean view junior suite which was roomy and part of the refurbished part of the hotel. It was great with a small balcony that had room for two chairs and a table and had a sea view, nice bathroom with jacuzzi, flat screen TV, etc. About 1/3 of the hotel appeared to have not been refurbished yet but we heard no complaints.

Beaches and pools

The main beach area is in front of the Royale part of the resort and has two distinct sides split by the central jetty where the beach restaurant and main bar are located. There were plenty of sun loungers available until around 10am at a time when the resort was at full capacity.
We did notice that as towels were feely available people did leave them on beds when they had actually finished with them for the staff to clear. This could give the impression that more beds were taken than were actually. If there were only towels left on beds and no personal affects I would have no hesitation in assuming these were free.
There were many pools and each had their own character. Some were a little noisy from early in the day, others were peaceful throughout the day. I’ll leave it to you to find out which you prefer.

Restaurants

There are 9 restaurants in site and if you’re there for 2 weeks you are going to want to try them all so there’s not much point in me saying which I prefer. If you are staying in the Royale side then most restaurants are on a first come basis rather than reservation. This means at peak evening times you may have a wait of 20 minutes or so for restaurants on the Royale side and of an hour for the Pacific Rim and the Casitas side Italian. This is because people staying in the casitas can make reservations. There are bars near all of the restaurants so as long as you know this it really isn’t a problem.

The food was generally of excellent quality. Breakfasts and lunches were particularly good; the evening meal was sometimes only acceptable though, mainly due to the food only being served warm, rather than hot, on some occasions. The all inclusive wine was palatable but nothing of note.

Bars

You don’t have to walk more than about 50m to find a bar during the day and in the evening the bars are close to the restaurants so that all works well. The bar staff are all excellent and make very good quality cocktails. There is regular waiter service on all of the beaches.

Wifi

There is no free wifi in the resort. Wifi is chargeable per device at either $2.90 per hour $12 a day or $52 a week. Coverage is good, even extending to areas of the beach!

Concierge

The concierge was a bit of a mixed experience for us. Outside each pair of ‘villas’ is a small office with 2 concierges in. Our first concierge was good, he booked the 2 bookable restaurants for us, organized a softer pillow for me and after an initial chat realized that I wasn’t interested in any of the payable extras and so was happy to smile and offer any assistance he could. Towards the end of the second week our concierge changed and the new guy didn’t have this same sense. He was keen to sell me stuff and in the end I had to tell him to back off.

Bugs

I didn’t use repellent and didn’t get bitten at all. My wife used repellent and got a small number of bites. This for us means very few bugs!
Out and about
Without a doubt what made this holiday special is what is available outside of the hotel. The Mayan site at Chichen Itza is an absolute must. We also hired a car for a day (at $160 including full insurance this was expensive) and drove down the coast to the ruins at Tulum and to the resort of Playa del Carmen. This was a safe adventure and I would recommend it. I also took the opportunity (as an experienced scuba diver) to dive with bull sharks and this was the most exhilarating experience of my life – amazing!!

A note for people not from North America: I was somewhat surprised by the behaviour of a vocal number, though by no means the majority, of guests from North America who would whoop and holler at nothing, shout across the pool/beach/wherever at any time of day, from 10 in the morning through to 2 the next morning. The resort is large enough to find refuge from this behaviour but my review would be incomplete without acknowledging this.

15 Thank Lee_Parlett
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Attended my nephew's wedding at El Dorado Royale and it was wonderful. Staff, food and lodging were excellent and Carey from Beach Bum did a great job making sure we were all prepared and had an excellent time.

Room Tip: Lots of great rooms and amenities to choose from.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
19 Thank Marie B
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 January 2014

First who we are: I am 30 and my husband is 37 and we have stayed at many adult only all inclusive resorts in Mexico/Caribbean including Adventua Spa Palace, Excellence, The Royal PDC, Iberostar, Secrets and Sandals. With that being said my review is in comparison to those resorts and past experiences that we have had. We stayed at the El Dorado Royale for a total of seven nights and while we were there the majority of the crowd was 50 plus in age.

Arrival into Mexico: Once you collect your bags and head through customs you will begin your exit out of the airport. After leaving customs there will be tons of very professional looking people who speak great english who will want to stop you and offer "help" however they want to sign you up for timeshare presentations. Just say no thank you and keep walking and exit the airport where your transportation will be waiting for you. We booked private non-stop transportation to and from the hotel through Lomas Travel, This is the way to go as you do not have to wait for others to join you or spend vacation time droping them off at their respected hotels. It will take you about 25 minutes to get to the hotel from the airport.
Tip: Make sure to pack a pen in your carry on so that you can complete your customs form. Flight attendants will not have extra pens for your use.

Hotel Arrival: We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 am which is well before the check in time but we were prepared for this. We changed into our swimsuits and grabbed some lunch before we were able to check in around 3:00. You will be given a schedule for the week's activities so hold on to it for a quick reference. You can also find the schedule on one of the early tv channels. . Upon arrival we were not greeted with champagne and had to ask for it...not a huge biggie but we were expecting it.

Room: We had a Luxury Jacuzzi Junior Suite in building 8 and we were happy with the location. It was pretty central and close to quite a few things. The room was nice and compared well to other resorts we have stayed at with a few exceptions. Upon entering the room the bathroom was to the left with two double sinks with a jacuzzi between the bathroom and bedroom area. Overall it was a very open room with plenty of storage. There is a safe in the room to lock up your valuables. The safe does require to be opened via a key. If you lose the key it is $150 to replace. The room does let quite a bit of light in early in the morning so if you need a dark room make sure to pack an eye mask. Some of the little things not part of the room that we missed from other resorts were the rain shower, liquor and wine in the room, digital safe (no key) and the room service delivery box. No these are not necessary but we missed having them.

Tip: Make sure to visit your building concierge sooner than later. You can make dinner reservations, select a pillow from their pillow menu and make them aware of anything special you are celebrating. Ladies- there is also a blow dryer in the room. It is not the best but will work for your stay unless you have incredibly long or thick hair.

Resort Grounds: The resort grounds are very beautiful and very lush. The El Dorado takes a "green" initative which I love. There are recyling bins through out the resort and the resort also has multiple green houses where they grow a variety of foods used on the resort. This resort is huge though so make sure to wear comfy shoes when walking from one side to the other. There are golf carts driving around the property through out the day if you do need a ride from one side to the other. They do have waiting areas with count down clocks untl the next cart is to arrive but I do not think they are very accurate. The carts just continue to move in circles through out the day so if you wait one will eventually come along. You can always call and request one come to you room to get you as well.

Tip: I would bring comfortable shoes to wear around the resort that offer a good grip on the bottom in case the ground is wet.. Also, the temperature dropped quite a bit at night but luckily I had brought a light jacket/cardigan with me. Ladies, if you plan on being here through March I would pack something light (cardigan or shawl) to cover your arms/shoulders.

Bars: There are numerous bars through out the resort with a wide selection of alcohol including top shelf liquor. When ordering a drink be sure to specify what type of liquor you want or they will use a lower end liquor. There was also a large selection of canned beer including Tecate, Dos Equis, and Coors Light. The bartenders were not the friendliest but they were overall pretty quick. The wait staff on the beach were all excellent and always coming back with a smile. They do not have bottled water at the bars but the water does come from a filtered system.

Tip: In the past we have brought a collapsible ice chest with us and then taken the beer and bottled water from our room and then iced them down. There is nothing better that an ice cold beer on the beach at easy access!

Restaurants: Overall the food was good at the resort. We quickly learned that Santa Fe Grill was the best breakfast option with the best service. Humberto was our waiter and AMAZING, he took his job seriously and aimed to please. We made sure to sit with him every morning. He was the best server we had on this resort hands down. Try the banana pancakes! Santa Fe was also great for dinner and you do need reservations so make sure to make them early. We went to the Fuentes Theater for dinner twice and both nights were great. I did choose to do the wine pairing one of the two nights and I think it was worth the $40. The only restaurant we did not enjoy any time we were there was Jo Jo's. I honestly would skip this one especially if you are only here a short time. They will also ask you if you have any allergies each and every time that you check in to be seated so make sure to tell them if you do. I do have to admit in comparison to other resorts we have stayed at we were disappointed with the restaurant staff with the exception of a few. They all seemed as if they were bothered and hated their jobs.

Entertainment: Every afternoon they play a movie at 6:30. Once it is over live music will start and continue until 9:30 when the show starts. After the show is over the live music will resume until 11:00 then a DJ will play music until 2:00 am. There is a bar in this area that will also stay open till 2:00 am. We saw both the MJ and magic show which were both really good and worth seeing. The Entertainment staff were all great and friendly.

Beach: We thought that the water was beautiful and we knew going in based on reviews that it wasn't a swimmable beach. The resort is doing everything they can to repair the beach but this is going to take many years. If this is a deal killer for you then do not stay here! I am not sure why people choose to complain about the beach when they knew what it was like going in.....

Tipping: This is not a must but we do choose to tip the staff when we feel like they go above and beyond. This is not required and in fact not everyone chooses to tip but for us we like to do it. I bring bills made up of $1's and $5's with me to the resort as the front desk typically will not have change.

Overall I would recommend this resort but I just feel like they are missing those little extra touches and charm from their staff that is typical in Mexico. Since this is such a large resort I feel like they can not do some of the extras that a smaller resort would offer such as celebratory banners on the room doors, daily activity schedule including celebrations placed under room door nightly, daily themed lunches on the beach, etc. If you have never stayed at another all inclusive especially an adults only then you will love this resort. If you are like us and have stayed at some of the resorts mentioned above then you may be disappointed. Please feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.

29 Thank shelley_gaspard
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We had a wonderful time at the resort! We were there for my best friend's wedding and absolutely loved our time there! Our travel agent Carey from Beach Bum set all of the arrangements so all we had to do is show up:) I would highly recommend this to anyone, especially for a destination wedding. My only complaint is that we didn't stay long enough and I regret not doing the upgrade for the swim up suite, it would have been worth it!

Room Tip: Pay the extra and book the swim up jacuzzi suite!
20 Thank Kristanny A
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Guest¡¡

Firstly, on behalf of all staff at the El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, we would like take this opportunity to offer our congratulations to your best friend, for their wedding events that because of your comments I assume they were truly amazing and very memorable.

I am very happy to hear that the staff, along with your travel agent, were able to provide you a great vacation experience; I want to thank you for your recommendation to all future travelers, I am pretty sure your comments will really valuable for them, when choosing their next destination.

It was a great honor to host all of you in this important occasion and we hope that you will return very soon, to your Mexican Home at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Kindest regards.

Sincerely yours.

Francisco Jorge
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

El Dorado Royale - what a beautiful place. The staff are very attentive and helpful. The restaurants have great service and food. Loved our stay here. We combined six days here and six days at El Dorado Seaside Suites which was also wonderful. Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank novakad
Dear Guest¡¡

Thank very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are very pleased knowing that you have enjoyed your stay and that you were so well looked after by the team here at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

We will make sure our bar team see your kind comments. They will feel so glad for being recognized by our dear and valuable guests.

We look forward to welcome you back again in your Mexican Home in the Caribe.

Kindest regards.

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!