My partner and I spent the last week of February at El Dorado Royale. We have been to this resort many, many times... This last visit was probably my partner's 10th or 12th. We are fortunate enough to enjoy visiting a variety of hotels and resorts (in Mexico and elsewhere) however this is the first Trip Advisor review I have felt the need to write. El Dorado is not perfect but it does has many very lovely qualities which have kept us returning over the years. Our last visit however left us concerned that it may be going somewhat down hill is certain aspects over the last year. We noticed some obvious cost cutting in various areas. (We assume this is their answer to money going out to open the new Generations portion of the resort this year). The ceviche bar at JoJo's which we always look forward to for our lunch is no longer offered.. Restaurant service is sometimes slower and a little less attentive (fewer servers in each restaurant I imagine).. There are a few noticeable and disappointing changes of this nature. The main issue however which bothered us so much on this visit that we felt the need to open a trip advisor account and write this review, is that there was garbage in the water at the beach. Not a little bit of garbage... Not only in some far off corner at the end of their beach... A LOT of garbage... EVERYWHERE. Everywhere. (Photos attached). I don't know if garbage washing up onto their beach has always been a problem that the resort has had to deal with (another sad topic altogether) and they have recently cut their staff so that it is not being cleaned up every morning as it once was, or if this is a new problem, but they need to take care of it. It is absolutely disgusting and upsetting and not what you want swashing around your ankles on your beach vacation. El Dorado has multiple terrific pools. The beach however has never been one of it's best features (The ocean is lined with massive sand bags which unfortunately do spoil the view, but are there to battle an apparent beach erosion problem). It has always seemed to be clean and well groomed though at least until recently. There is also garbage caught in the new version of their sandbags which seem to be rocks with nets holding them together. The visual effect from a distance is basically that of large islands of garbage. These need to be cleaned out and have the trash pulled out of and removed from them as well.
On our 5th day the appearance of the beach and water improved and looked as though it had been cleaned. On the 6th and 7th days the garbage was coming back. As I said, we visit other resorts as well and commonly see staff out early in the morning raking and cleaning their beaches.. I have no idea why El Dorado does not have staff doing the same thing. It clearly needs to be attended to EVERY day. I heard SEVERAL people commenting on this gross problem, we were not the only ones bothered.
We love El Dorado we truly do... The grounds and pathways of the resort are always IMMACULATE... the staff are extremely sweet and friendly.. the food quality is high and the general atmosphere with all of it's trees walkways is just lovely.. But based on a new garbage filled beach and ocean we have to give it a disappointing score here sadly for now.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale