“It pains me to give El Dorado a low score here but..”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My partner and I spent the last week of February at El Dorado Royale. We have been to this resort many, many times... This last visit was probably my partner's 10th or 12th. We are fortunate enough to enjoy visiting a variety of hotels and resorts (in Mexico and elsewhere) however this is the first Trip Advisor review I have felt the need to write. El Dorado is not perfect but it does has many very lovely qualities which have kept us returning over the years. Our last visit however left us concerned that it may be going somewhat down hill is certain aspects over the last year. We noticed some obvious cost cutting in various areas. (We assume this is their answer to money going out to open the new Generations portion of the resort this year). The ceviche bar at JoJo's which we always look forward to for our lunch is no longer offered.. Restaurant service is sometimes slower and a little less attentive (fewer servers in each restaurant I imagine).. There are a few noticeable and disappointing changes of this nature. The main issue however which bothered us so much on this visit that we felt the need to open a trip advisor account and write this review, is that there was garbage in the water at the beach. Not a little bit of garbage... Not only in some far off corner at the end of their beach... A LOT of garbage... EVERYWHERE. Everywhere. (Photos attached). I don't know if garbage washing up onto their beach has always been a problem that the resort has had to deal with (another sad topic altogether) and they have recently cut their staff so that it is not being cleaned up every morning as it once was, or if this is a new problem, but they need to take care of it. It is absolutely disgusting and upsetting and not what you want swashing around your ankles on your beach vacation. El Dorado has multiple terrific pools. The beach however has never been one of it's best features (The ocean is lined with massive sand bags which unfortunately do spoil the view, but are there to battle an apparent beach erosion problem). It has always seemed to be clean and well groomed though at least until recently. There is also garbage caught in the new version of their sandbags which seem to be rocks with nets holding them together. The visual effect from a distance is basically that of large islands of garbage. These need to be cleaned out and have the trash pulled out of and removed from them as well.

On our 5th day the appearance of the beach and water improved and looked as though it had been cleaned. On the 6th and 7th days the garbage was coming back. As I said, we visit other resorts as well and commonly see staff out early in the morning raking and cleaning their beaches.. I have no idea why El Dorado does not have staff doing the same thing. It clearly needs to be attended to EVERY day. I heard SEVERAL people commenting on this gross problem, we were not the only ones bothered.

We love El Dorado we truly do... The grounds and pathways of the resort are always IMMACULATE... the staff are extremely sweet and friendly.. the food quality is high and the general atmosphere with all of it's trees walkways is just lovely.. But based on a new garbage filled beach and ocean we have to give it a disappointing score here sadly for now.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mz_Sminz
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Mz_Sminz

Thank you for sharing your experiences of your recent stay , it was a pleasure to be your host however it is very disheartening to hear that this stay did not compare to previous visits to the hotel.

we can assure you that we have a team dedicated to the cleanliness of the hotel however there are times where , despite all efforts, garbage is washed ashore. Unfortunately we can not control how we , human kind, treat our planet however we are raising the awareness and we will continue to do so as well as assist in the clean up.

we have reached out to you by private message however we would also like to invite you to contact the head of Customer services so that we can address your concerns and hopefully restore your faith in us once again

Best regards

Reviewed 14 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at El Dorado Royale and absolutely loved it. We worked with Marcie Muensterman with Beach Bum Vacation and our entire trip was flawless. We were there for a friend's wedding and Marcie helped book a large group. The resort was magnificent and the food was great. Our room was also beautiful and was well located within the resort grounds. We would definitely stay at El Dorado Royale again. I also highly recommend using Marcie to book your next trip! Her email address is marcie@beachbumvacation.com

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda M
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Amanda M

Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff and your travel agent, it feels rewarding to know how much you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comments are a very good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ full satisfaction by exceeding their expectations.

We look forward to receive you once again, at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma for another flawless vacation in the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

After a long 11 hour flight from London we really hoped that the resort would meet our expectations. Happily they did, even surpassing them in many respects.
Plus points - the staff (with only one notable exception which I will mention later) were exceptionally professional, eager to please, and relentlessly cheerful. The pool we used everyday was the Sensi Mar, not even shown on the map at the resort, but quiet and a great swim-up bar. Julio is a very talented mixologist, equal to any I've seen in London, and Maggy is just a lovely person, full of enthusiasm and humour. You couldn't help but get carried along. The resort itself is beautiful, spotlessly clean, picturesque grounds and lots of iguanas of various sizes to see. Clearly a lot of work goes into maintaining this and it shows. There are a very nice selection of drinks to choose from, and the bar staff are very happy to make anything not on the menu, just the way you like it. The swim-up rooms were very good, we hadn't stayed in one before - and now I think I'll expect them every time! Breakfast at Cocotal was very good, the food highlight of the holiday. I thought the beach was beautiful and the efforts to restore it are admirable. Yes, it is a bit messy, surprising given how tidy it is everywhere else. The buggy's that transport people around the resort are good, the drivers also are a wealth of useful information, much more than the concierge service.
Negatives - the food. I have never been somewhere before that talks so much about how great their food is,Gourmet this and that, yet is so average at best. D'Italia was quite frankly laughable, the portions were an absolute joke, we just roared with laughter when we saw our soup. The filet mignon was equally microscopic, even a cat would be still hungry afterwards. We went to our room and ordered room service straight afterwards. It was cold, but still way better than D'Italia. Cocotal, despite their great breakfast, is only average at best in the evening. Jo Jo's was quite poor and is managed by a man who seems to get a real kick out of turning people away. The only unpleasant person we came across in a week.
What was really annoying was that the concierge, front desk staff don't even tell you about the new restaurants that were available at the Generations hotel adjoining El Dorado, which in my view is tantamount to lying. Especially annoying as we only found out about them from another holidaymaker with a couple of nights left of our stay. Needless to say, we went to Jade and Haab on successive nights and they were head and shoulders better than the other restaurants in El Dorado Royale.
The WiFi service is expensive and patchy. I'm not accustomed to staying at high-end resorts and being charged for something which should be included in the considerable cost of staying here.
There are other minor gripes (lack of electronic safe, poor lighting in room, somewhat erratic house-keeping, turndown and mini-bar restock), but none of these detracted from us having an enjoyable holiday and being completely relaxed by the end of our stay at El Dorado. And that was exactly what we had hoped for.

Room Tip: Go to the Generations hotel (by buggy) for a far superior dining experience. Don't expect to be...
7  Thank Ianb666
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Lanb666

First, we want to thank you for taking the time and sharing your review on TripAdvisor, it was a pleasure to host your holiday. We appreciate all comments and we are truly very sorry that there were aspects of the food that you did not enjoy on this vacation.

We have reviewed all food quality and constantly we do so, we firmly believe all food provided in the Resort is 5 stars, Gourmet Quality, nevertheless your comments will be considered and discussed with our Food and Beverage team.

Please allow me to apologize for all your experiences mentioned, I can assure you that these experiences are not in line with our reputation for superior, attentive service and food quality.

The opinions and suggestions of our valuable guests are really crucial in the process of improving our performance so we thank your valuable comments which undoubtedly help us take a step forward in terms of guests satisfaction.

We hope you give us the opportunity of hosting you in the future at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We are experienced AI travelers and have been to more than 15 AI's in the Dominican and Mexico. We do not belong to any travel clubs or timeshares and enjoy trying different resorts mostly based on Trip Advisor reviews. We a married couple in our early-mid 40's and was at the El Dorado Royale from March 5-12.

I will start with a general paragraph of pro's and con's and will then detail different parts of the resort if you want to read further. This is far and away the BEST all inclusive resort we have ever been to. It is high end and the food was great at all the restaurants and service was above and beyond. They just take that extra step to think how they can make your experience better than it already is. We did pay more than what we usually pay, so I did take that into consideration, but it was well worth it. Now for the con's. Simple, when you are paying this much money the WiFi should be included (at least in the lobby) and the safe should be electronic. I have a couple other suggestions for improvement, but will mention those in the details below.

Check-In
As in a lot of AI resorts, the front desk staff is mostly aloof and usually not a highlight of our time. No biggie, make sure I get the room we paid for and I'll be fine. Our room wasn't ready until check-in time at 3pm, again, no big deal. We were given the room we paid for which was a regular room (meaning no swim up or casita).

Room
Basic room was fine. It is a little dated, but totally fine as we only spend time in our room to sleep and get ready. There is a really bright blue button on the AC unit that we didn't figure out how to turn off until the 4th day. There is a button on on the remote. If you don't turn it off it is quite bothersome when trying to sleep. I would also say to bring your own soap or bath gel from home and definitely your own shampoo as the bar soap had some sort of glycerin that made your skin feel greasy. This is picky, but when paying this much for a vacation I would have expected a bit better toiletries. Not having an electronic safe was annoying and the safe was a little too small. We received turn down service each night and I think they forgot to refill our mini-fridge one day, but no biggie. We stayed in building 15. Good location close to two pools and restaurants.

Restaurants
As what most other reviews have said, this place prides itself on gourmet food and it is indeed gourmet. Really, really good. We went to every restaurant on the resort and also the Asian restaurant in the sister resort Generations. If you like sushi rolls - which I love and am quite picky, go to Jade. The entrees weren't as good as Kampai, but the rolls were the absolute best I've ever had. No need to repeat what others have said, usually about an hour wait so go have a drink or go early/late to avoid the wait. The culinary theatre was over the top and just too awesome to even describe. Make reservations for the culinary theatre and Santa Fe as soon as you get there. When dining at some of the restaurants (culinary theatre and Santa Fe), be ready to eat for 2+ hours - we loved it, but something worth noting. Room service was very nice too. A suggestion would be to have ice machines available. I know they want to "wait" on you and wouldn't mind bringing it to us, but sometimes you just want to get ice on your own.

Bars/Pools/Beach
As most have said, beach isn't great, but still beautiful and even for beach people like us was fine. Just know what to expect when you get there. If you have read Trip Advisor reviews you know about the sandbags, etc. Pools were great and perfect temp. The activities pool is quieter as most people are at the pool near JoJo's and with the large pool bar. If you want quiet, there is a pool right outside building 15 which has less noise. Another suggestion would be some sort of music (at a background music level) at the pool bars - just something to listen to would be nice. Loungers at the pool are reserved by 6am, but usually start opening up around 3ish. Bartenders at the pool bar are the best - Jose, Angel, Edgar all made the experience so much better. They are a true asset to your resort and should be rewarded accordingly. The pool bar usually loses sun about 2-3pm and it can get chilly. They should have though about that when they built the resort - a shade annoying. The service on the beach is a nice touch too, takes a little while to get a drink, but there is usually only one waitress working so she comes around as often as possible - usually about every 20-30 min max.

We were not bothered by anyone trying to sell us the vacation club. Your personal concierge will help you with making dinner reservations and selection of pillows. We thought the age of the travelers is a little older - above 55-60. Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just good to know what kind of crowd will be there. There was a large conference going on while we were there which made it a lot more fun, but probably annoying to others. We aren't overly loud or boisterous, but like to have a good time and don't want to go to bed at 10pm.

The shows were above average. The Fire Show is on the beach so don't go to the normal theatre or go there and then leave around 9ish and head to the beach. No one told us this and I wish they would have. The circus show was also very good (Wed night, I think). Rest of the shows were fine and start at 9:30.

Others have complained about the golf carts - just be aware and you'll be fine. No reason to complain. Also, I overheard one of the other guests say someone told them that tipping was discouraged. I have no idea why someone would say that. It's definitely not required so if you don't want to tip, that's your own prerogative, but the employees work very hard to make your experience great and I know they appreciate it.

So that's it. We usually don't go back to the same resort twice, but I don't think this place can be out matched on food or service so I'm pretty sure we will return. We HIGHLY recommend this resort if you enjoy excellent food and high end service.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank CaesarKelley

Dear CaesarKelley

First we want to thank you for your detailed review about our resort, we really appreciate your honest opinions of your experience at our hotel. We are sorry that there were aspects during your stay that were not live up with past visits in other Resorts. We have read through your review and have shared this with the operations team because we are dedicated to our guests, ensuring that their experience be the very best.

Your comments are very helpful and make us keep working to achieve our guests’ full satisfaction. We are sure that many travelers will consider them really useful and clarifying, as it is valuable information when choosing their next destination in the Riviera Maya.

We hope that you will give to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma the opportunity to host your holiday again in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Hotel itself is lovely - great location, close to the airport, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. It should be perfect but there are a few things wrong with the place to stop it from being amazing.

Restaurants
You do have to wait a while to be seated. This includes breakfast. They normally advise around 90 minutes in the evening - although this has nearly always been shorter. It's annoying at first but once you're in the swing of things you get used to it. You get a buzzer for most restaurants so go grab a beer and wait to be called. The food is generally very good.

Dress Code
The men MUST wear collared shirts at evening (either polo shirt or normal button shirt) and no vests are allowed at any restaurants at any time. You get turned away if you are not complying. Women on the other hand can wear whatever they want, which is VERY annoying. We saw women walking around in restaurants at breakfast and lunch wearing just bikinis and t shirts - no shorts, just bikini bottoms. They can also wear vests at any time to any restaurant. We went to a few of the "fancy" restaurants at night and there were women there wearing tight vests with tattoos all over their arms, beach shorts and flip flops, whereas we were turned away for wearing a smart t shirt. This is my main gripe. If I wear smart shorts, shoes and a smart t shirt I do not look scruffy at all, yet I get turned away. It does not seem fair at all. I agree that men should not wear vests to dinner but I think that we should be allowed to wear smart t shirts - none with obscene logos, brands etc. women should have to cover up at lunch if men have to - I do not want to be queuing for an omelette at breakfast behind an obese woman in just bikini bottoms and t shirt.

WI-FI
Luckily we got this for free (I emailed before we arrived and they gave it us for free, I do not know why). If we'd have had to pay for it we would not have been happy. It's $50 PER week PER device - we took an iPhone each and an iPad ($300 in total - that's more than what I pay annually at home). The signal in the rooms are terrible - very slow, cannot stream videos at all and the signal cuts out constantly making you log in again. My partner could not even access internet on his iPhone at all. Reception by the pool is okay but still no streaming.

Pools
Great pools but you do have to be up early to get a good spot. This could be the time of year we stayed but we had to get up at 6:30am each morning to ensure a bed, otherwise it was the beach. Even at that time of the morning most beds had gone.

Enough moaning now...the food was great - The Asian restaurant was amazing. Bars were good - martini bar was like an airport lounge though. Still nice though. The resort is spotless. We had no towel art at all during our stay - but I'm really not bothered if I don't come back to a giraffe on my bed etc. it's not a big deal. Our room was turned down at night once during our stay - again, I'm not bothered about that at all. I can pull the covers back myself and get my own bottle of water from the fridge.

Overall, a couple of gripes that are easily sorted (free wifi, more relaxed dress code for men, reinforce the no reserving of sun beds rule) and this resort would be an absolute winner. For now, it's just above average. Would I go back? No, there are better places in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank sturobbie
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at El Dorado Royale . I appreciate your candid feedback regarding your recent visit. It is truly regretful that we did not exceed your expectations in a few aspects of your stay.

Your feedback will most definitely assist us in ensuring that we increase our efforts in ensuring that our guests are granted experiences that consistently reflect our reputation for excellence and worth five stars.

Best Regards

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Tha beach is awful. Nothing but rocks and sandbags. If you love to get in the ocean don't go here. The Santa Fe Grill was highly recommended but we could not get a reservation for five days. The only time they could take us was at 9:00p.m. and to two dishes we wanted they were out of. The waiter was very rude. The guy at check-in was also rude. We were told the manager would contact us by E-mail but we never heard from him.We have been to cancun for 12 years but this was the worst place we stayed.

10  Thank Pam S

Dear Pam S

Thank you for your recent review , firstly I would like to apologize that we have not reached out to you like was promised.

I would like to invite you to contact our head of Customer services for Karisma Hotels so that we can resolve any outstanding issues you may have

Best Regards

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Wow what a trip. I don't know where to start the hotel the second that you walk in the door is Top Notch!!! The garden, grounds and Pools are pristine!! Food is 5 star gourmet and excellent. Some dress code is required at a few of the restaurants on site but we didn't mind because it was fun to have a nice elegant dinner every night. The staff is absolutely great!! Cuba from the building 42 area was amazing as our personal drink runner and anything else we needed while we relaxed on our porch! Also Julio in the Sensi Mar Pool is a great, fun , and informative bartender in the swim up bar! Jorge or George from the La Isla restaurant in the evenings is probably the best waiter we have ever had anywhere. Great place from top to bottom!!!

1  Thank Mickey N
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Mickey N.

We want to thank you for allow us to be part of your celebration, It has been a real pleasure to host you and now that we are reading your recent review, it feels rewarding to know that you have enjoyed at maximum your time with us.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding our hotel facilities and most of all, our staff performance. We will address them your kindly comments.

We are sure your description of our site´s atmosphere will be a great help for future travelers when choosing exactly the place for some relaxing vacations.

We are hoping to welcome you once again at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#10 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!