“Fantastic Vacation - Best all inclusive I have been to!”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Bloomington, Illinois
“Fantastic Vacation - Best all inclusive I have been to!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed a week with my husband and 3 adult children.. It was perfect! The most beautiful resort I have been to. And the best food we've had in an all inclusive. The gourmet inclusive allowed us to eat healthier, but also indulge a bit! The only buffet was in the morning. Lunches and dinners were ordered off a menu. It was so much nicer than having a buffet for all meals. I loved being waited on! They had GREAT wine too! Room service was also great! Beverages were excellent! Rooms and resort were clean. Hammocks for each room was awesome!

Personal concierge was great. They helped us when we got locked out, needed spa reservations, dinner reservations, hammock hooks, called us the day before to arrange for our luggage to be picked up, and even got us band aids when my son hurt his toe. I tipped them before I left. Not because I felt obligated, but they really went above and beyond,

I liked the beach. Some have complained about the rocks And that is how my son hurt his toe, but it is beautiful. And you can walk on the beach and swim. There's also a beautiful sidewalk runs the entire beach close by. Workout room and spa were perfect.

My only complaints - I'd like a safe In the room with a code versus a key, pay attention to dress codes (I didn't see this on the website I went to...by husband and son needed more collared shirts) and the golf carts fly around a bit fast. But I never got hit by one, so it was all GOOD!

The Eldorado's attention to the environment and steps they have taken were impressive! Very GREEN!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Plitz
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Plitz

First, we want to thank you for taking the time of writing and sharing your nice comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. We very much appreciate your review which points out some interesting matters.

I have read your comments, and certainly we are taking seriously your feedback and I see the possibilities to improve so we are already working on them.

We are sure your description of our site´s atmosphere and service will be a great help for future travelers when choosing exactly the place for some nice vacations.

Hoping to welcome you once again at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma,

gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,549)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newark, New Jersey

The good news:
It's a beautiful place. The pictures really do represent what you get. VERY clean facility. Friendly staff. Great rooms...truly all-inclusive for drinks. (e.g., they re-stock the free beer in your mini-bar)...bars open all the time...waiters refill your drinks at meals..etc.
Waiters and waitresses were super-friendly...wholesome.
Hostesses, however, were nice...but seemed to be some kind of enforcers of a "wait here" mentality. It's almost as if they want to keep you waiting...like the velvet rope at a NYC club.
The funny thing: you can look at the restaurant and see 30% of the tables empty...and wonder: "what is going on here?"..so please read on:

You need to know: (1) The dress code at the restaurants is odd...and unevenly enforced (e.g., I was disallowed entry due to technicality...others experienced this, too..even at casual breakfast). (2) Small portions at meals. (3) You consistently need to doge the official golf carts zipping around on the paths you walk on. (4) They want you to join their club / be property owner...and it's clearly a 2-class system.
Overall - it was just too "sales-y" for me. Example: we were assigned a "personal concierge" who was determined to meet with us. I thought "this is good!"...but it turns out that he just wanted to get us on a time-share tour. Similar for mealtime: if you have property: you can actually make a reservation.
Also, they had some kind of extra-price Canadian chef thing going on...and we got daily promotional phone calls inviting us to spend big $ to attend a special meal/tasting. (one invite is cool...but this was EVERY DAY)
Over and over...these signs reminded us that we were "only" paying customers.

Room Tip: It all depends on what you pay for. We took the least-expensive rooms...and they were fine. We did n...
5 Thank 515Josh
Dear 515Josh

It has been a great pleasure to receive your warm review describing your most recent vacation at our premises in El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

We understand your experience was not exactly perfect but you can be certain that all your comments will be taken into consideration. Continuously improving our performance in all areas is our main task.

As you know our resort is specialized in a la cart menu and our goal is to offer all of our guest a truly Gourmet Inclusive and a Romantic Experience, as such our dress codes are according to Triple AAA standards, we also have gourmet corners that allow more casual attire.

Please be sure that all your observations have been noted and will be passed along to the respective department Manager.

We are really sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations, I hope that you provide us the opportunity of hosting your holiday in the future.

Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed 16 March 2014

El Dorado Royale is the best all-inclusive we've stayed in yet! We've stayed in about 10 different resorts over the years and El Dorado is a gem! The grounds are not only beautiful, but environmentally friendly with recycled water for hydroponic greenhouses, fruits/vegetables grown on site, and energy-efficient systems. The food is GI (Gourmet Inclusive), a-la carte menus with many offerings that taste (and look) delicious!!

Chairs (and "beds") around the pools are plentiful, activities (if you're so inclined) are fun, swim-up bars have premium drinks and the beach is gorgeous. It truly is worth the extra cost of this resort to have such an elegant experience.

A word about booking - we heard about Trip Guy through another TripAdvisor post and decided to use the service. Everything was well planned, great communication before, during and after the trip. I recommend using this agency!

Room Tip: "Regular" jacuzzi suites are large, beautiful. The swim up rooms are more luxurious than...
1 Thank AlaskaSunSeeker_13
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear AlaskaSunSeeker_13

It is indeed a pleasure to receive such a nice review highlighting our natural background, facilities, services and the efforts we are making every day in order to protect the environment, going green.

We are very happy to hear that our staff, along with your travel agency TripGuy, were able to provide you an excellent experience fulfilling your expectations.

We are sure that your comments about your visit will help to all the travelers who are thinking about visiting the Riviera Maya and particularly El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, hopefully we will see you soon one more time, enjoying the Caribbean sun.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My sister-in-law and I went to this resort which is an adults only spa resort. If you go you will be very relaxed. However, when we went from February 27 - March 2nd, they were overbooked and under staffed.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with pool access.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BHBB
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear BHBB

We really appreciate very much your review which points out some interesting matters we had during the time of your stay.

We understand your experience was not exactly perfect because of that, but you can be certain that your comments will be taken into consideration. Continuously improving our performance in all areas is our main task.

Thank you so much for your contribution, hopefully you would give us the opportunity of hosting you one more time at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My partner and I spent the last week of February at El Dorado Royale. We have been to this resort many, many times... This last visit was probably my partner's 10th or 12th. We are fortunate enough to enjoy visiting a variety of hotels and resorts (in Mexico and elsewhere) however this is the first Trip Advisor review I have felt the need to write. El Dorado is not perfect but it does has many very lovely qualities which have kept us returning over the years. Our last visit however left us concerned that it may be going somewhat down hill is certain aspects over the last year. We noticed some obvious cost cutting in various areas. (We assume this is their answer to money going out to open the new Generations portion of the resort this year). The ceviche bar at JoJo's which we always look forward to for our lunch is no longer offered.. Restaurant service is sometimes slower and a little less attentive (fewer servers in each restaurant I imagine).. There are a few noticeable and disappointing changes of this nature. The main issue however which bothered us so much on this visit that we felt the need to open a trip advisor account and write this review, is that there was garbage in the water at the beach. Not a little bit of garbage... Not only in some far off corner at the end of their beach... A LOT of garbage... EVERYWHERE. Everywhere. (Photos attached). I don't know if garbage washing up onto their beach has always been a problem that the resort has had to deal with (another sad topic altogether) and they have recently cut their staff so that it is not being cleaned up every morning as it once was, or if this is a new problem, but they need to take care of it. It is absolutely disgusting and upsetting and not what you want swashing around your ankles on your beach vacation. El Dorado has multiple terrific pools. The beach however has never been one of it's best features (The ocean is lined with massive sand bags which unfortunately do spoil the view, but are there to battle an apparent beach erosion problem). It has always seemed to be clean and well groomed though at least until recently. There is also garbage caught in the new version of their sandbags which seem to be rocks with nets holding them together. The visual effect from a distance is basically that of large islands of garbage. These need to be cleaned out and have the trash pulled out of and removed from them as well.

On our 5th day the appearance of the beach and water improved and looked as though it had been cleaned. On the 6th and 7th days the garbage was coming back. As I said, we visit other resorts as well and commonly see staff out early in the morning raking and cleaning their beaches.. I have no idea why El Dorado does not have staff doing the same thing. It clearly needs to be attended to EVERY day. I heard SEVERAL people commenting on this gross problem, we were not the only ones bothered.

We love El Dorado we truly do... The grounds and pathways of the resort are always IMMACULATE... the staff are extremely sweet and friendly.. the food quality is high and the general atmosphere with all of it's trees walkways is just lovely.. But based on a new garbage filled beach and ocean we have to give it a disappointing score here sadly for now.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mz_Sminz
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Mz_Sminz

Thank you for sharing your experiences of your recent stay , it was a pleasure to be your host however it is very disheartening to hear that this stay did not compare to previous visits to the hotel.

we can assure you that we have a team dedicated to the cleanliness of the hotel however there are times where , despite all efforts, garbage is washed ashore. Unfortunately we can not control how we , human kind, treat our planet however we are raising the awareness and we will continue to do so as well as assist in the clean up.

we have reached out to you by private message however we would also like to invite you to contact the head of Customer services so that we can address your concerns and hopefully restore your faith in us once again

Best regards

Operations Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at El Dorado Royale and absolutely loved it. We worked with Marcie Muensterman with Beach Bum Vacation and our entire trip was flawless. We were there for a friend's wedding and Marcie helped book a large group. The resort was magnificent and the food was great. Our room was also beautiful and was well located within the resort grounds. We would definitely stay at El Dorado Royale again. I also highly recommend using Marcie to book your next trip! Her email address is marcie@beachbumvacation.com

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amanda M
Dear Amanda M

Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff and your travel agent, it feels rewarding to know how much you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comments are a very good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ full satisfaction by exceeding their expectations.

We look forward to receive you once again, at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma for another flawless vacation in the Riviera Maya.

London
Reviewed 13 March 2014

After a long 11 hour flight from London we really hoped that the resort would meet our expectations. Happily they did, even surpassing them in many respects.
Plus points - the staff (with only one notable exception which I will mention later) were exceptionally professional, eager to please, and relentlessly cheerful. The pool we used everyday was the Sensi Mar, not even shown on the map at the resort, but quiet and a great swim-up bar. Julio is a very talented mixologist, equal to any I've seen in London, and Maggy is just a lovely person, full of enthusiasm and humour. You couldn't help but get carried along. The resort itself is beautiful, spotlessly clean, picturesque grounds and lots of iguanas of various sizes to see. Clearly a lot of work goes into maintaining this and it shows. There are a very nice selection of drinks to choose from, and the bar staff are very happy to make anything not on the menu, just the way you like it. The swim-up rooms were very good, we hadn't stayed in one before - and now I think I'll expect them every time! Breakfast at Cocotal was very good, the food highlight of the holiday. I thought the beach was beautiful and the efforts to restore it are admirable. Yes, it is a bit messy, surprising given how tidy it is everywhere else. The buggy's that transport people around the resort are good, the drivers also are a wealth of useful information, much more than the concierge service.
Negatives - the food. I have never been somewhere before that talks so much about how great their food is,Gourmet this and that, yet is so average at best. D'Italia was quite frankly laughable, the portions were an absolute joke, we just roared with laughter when we saw our soup. The filet mignon was equally microscopic, even a cat would be still hungry afterwards. We went to our room and ordered room service straight afterwards. It was cold, but still way better than D'Italia. Cocotal, despite their great breakfast, is only average at best in the evening. Jo Jo's was quite poor and is managed by a man who seems to get a real kick out of turning people away. The only unpleasant person we came across in a week.
What was really annoying was that the concierge, front desk staff don't even tell you about the new restaurants that were available at the Generations hotel adjoining El Dorado, which in my view is tantamount to lying. Especially annoying as we only found out about them from another holidaymaker with a couple of nights left of our stay. Needless to say, we went to Jade and Haab on successive nights and they were head and shoulders better than the other restaurants in El Dorado Royale.
The WiFi service is expensive and patchy. I'm not accustomed to staying at high-end resorts and being charged for something which should be included in the considerable cost of staying here.
There are other minor gripes (lack of electronic safe, poor lighting in room, somewhat erratic house-keeping, turndown and mini-bar restock), but none of these detracted from us having an enjoyable holiday and being completely relaxed by the end of our stay at El Dorado. And that was exactly what we had hoped for.

Room Tip: Go to the Generations hotel (by buggy) for a far superior dining experience. Don't expect to be...
7 Thank Ianb666
Dear Lanb666

First, we want to thank you for taking the time and sharing your review on TripAdvisor, it was a pleasure to host your holiday. We appreciate all comments and we are truly very sorry that there were aspects of the food that you did not enjoy on this vacation.

We have reviewed all food quality and constantly we do so, we firmly believe all food provided in the Resort is 5 stars, Gourmet Quality, nevertheless your comments will be considered and discussed with our Food and Beverage team.

Please allow me to apologize for all your experiences mentioned, I can assure you that these experiences are not in line with our reputation for superior, attentive service and food quality.

The opinions and suggestions of our valuable guests are really crucial in the process of improving our performance so we thank your valuable comments which undoubtedly help us take a step forward in terms of guests satisfaction.

We hope you give us the opportunity of hosting you in the future at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!