“Our Aniverary Trip to El Dorado Royale/Castitas”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Our Aniverary Trip to El Dorado Royale/Castitas”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

El Dorado Royale

Hi All, another honest review!
We had read an awful lot about the El Dorado Royale and were trying to compare it to other Hotels we had been too in the past. Our 30th Wedding anniversary was looming and made our choice we booked to take a 2 week trip to the El Dorado Royale, booking a room which also attracted the Honeymoon/Anniversary package.
We book to travel on March 4th (our anniversary). Thompson on that day were flying a 767 to Mexico so no Dreamliner for us… However that allowed us to book Premium. I say allowed us, only because I could not justify the £440 price tag that Thompson were asking if we did fly Dreamliner. I cannot justify that cost I am afraid.
TRAVEL
The flight was long…. Nearly 12 ½ hours, bad headwinds, so very tired and stiff we got to Cancun and fought through the arrivals and customs lounges… Ohhh what a nightmare that was… 13 aircraft all in at the same time… chaos!
Not to worry we thought our private Taxi to the El Dorado (costing an extra £100 from Thompson extras) would be waiting to whisk us away from the chaos… Wrong.. On getting to the Taxi area we were told by Thompson Reps that there were delays to the Taxi’s being allowed onto the airport. 40 Minutes later, very hot, slightly miffed and £100lighter we got to a taxi and started our journey to El Dorado.
HOTEL & ACCOMMODATION
On arrival the reception area was stunning…. We were met with champagne and guided to the arrivals lounge…. We handed over our documents and our wedding certificate… then politely we were told… they were sorry but the room we had booked (Ocean Front) was not available and we would have to stay in a ocean view room for 2 days, then be moved to a swim-up Ocean view. We are a couple in our 50’s having just spent 20 hours going on what I thought was a trip of a lifetime… now shattered and tired… being offered a room we did not book with the promise of an upgrade to a room that we could not do justice to. My wife had an uncharacteristic outburst…. And the staff tried to placate us… eventually we got on our golf buggy and were taken to a 3rd floor room in the main walk way… on the way the driver showed us various locations, pools, Bar’s and Restaurant’s . The complex looked absolutely stunning.
We arrived at our new room where we were to stay for a few days… the room was also stunning… no argument there. We started to relax popped a beer and some champagne that was in the room and discussed what we were to do… unpack or just use the cloths we had to… so when the 2 days were up we would find it easier to move… after 10 Minutes the room phone rang… it was the Hotel Manager… he was very apologetic and stated that he was aware of our special occasion… and that he wished to make us feel happier than we were. He stated that a golf cart would be there to pick us up and we were to be moved to the ‘Castitas’ he stated this area would be fine for us…
10 Minutes later buggy loaded and off we went to our new room…. We arrived and were shown in… Ohhhhh wow! The room was beautiful. Without doubt the best room we have ever had…. Supper King Bed, living room area, sofa and chairs, Breakfast Table, off to the left a small alcove with a sunken whirlpool bath. Flat screen TV and DVD, the bathroom was something else… beautifully appointed his/hers wash basins, toilet cubicle, large shower with marbled plinth and to top it all… an outside shower…. Which was stunning!
For the first time since we got on the plane that morning we looked at each other and smiled.
We started to explore and outside on the veranda there was another double bed for relaxing… to our front was a large (70 Meter) hacienda structure with tables and chairs, table tennis, swing bed and a bar… in front of that a pool. This area was exclusive to the guests staying at that ‘Castitas’ area ours was 27. In all there were about 20 ‘ish ‘Castitas’ that could use this facility.

The rest of the stay in the ‘Castitas’ was like a Dream… Private pool, Bar, Concierge (Fransisco… great guy!) Pool boy, Beach Boy… all for us at Castitas 27.
In all the El Dorado staff were exceptional…. Never did I ever find anyone that did not behave in a courteous and happy manner. All the complex areas were superb. I have not got a bad word for this hotels accommodation or staff …. Fantastic!
FOOD
Ok… here is where this review becomes personal to us… my words here are our feeling and not in any way meant to offend, deter or change opinions… just our honest findings.
This is a ‘Gourmet Dining’ experience…. If this type of dining is not for you then you are booking the wrong place. The food was always superb and well presented… however… it simply was not for us!

I like to have restaurants but also I like to have the ability to break those dining experiences up with a buffet or 2.. we were there for 2 weeks… for those closer to Mexico (Canadians, Americans) I can see the attraction of fine dining for their 5 day trip… but for 25 Days it’s a different thing. Our concierge booked all or evening meals for us and we just turned up…. All were good but were Gourmet portions… the house wine was perfectly drinkable… the menu wine was at a cost… I did not have a problem with this and knew before I arrived that this was the case … others were not so pleased that they had to pay for wine if not the ‘House’ variety. All alcohol was branded and excellent… they even had a selection of good malt whisky’s.
ENTERTAINMENT
This was perfectly acceptable and we saw some real local talent in one of the Local singers (Cannot remember his name Rob maybe…) he was really good… Magic shows, fire shows, dance and cabaret all there if you wanted it.
BEACH AREA
Bit disappointed (as I always have been in Mexico ) with the beach area… strong winds and rough water made it hard to do a lot… but nonetheless an area where fun was had.
OVERAL EXPERIENCE
This was a great holiday and the Hotel should be proud of what it provides for its guests… It is an outstanding experience.
Would I return again..?
Probably not but only for the reasons I have outlined above. If I were to return it would have to be to the ‘Castitas’ it’s an amazing experience!

Room Tip: Remember People... This is Gourmet Dining. Make sure this is for you.....
4 Thank John W
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear John W,
Thank you for your review and I appreciate your honest opinions of your experience at our hotel. Im sorry that at the beggining of your stay did not reflected the high standards that we are so well familiar with to provide to our beloved guest.

I have read through your review and have shared this with my operations team. We are dedicated to our guests and ensuring their experience is the very best.
We are so very thankful with you for the five star rating even though i am aware that there were aspects of this vacation left you a doubtfull though of us.

if you should wish to contact us , please do not hesitate to contact our customer services at customerservices@karismamexico.com

Best Regards
gm@eldoradoroyale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,560)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stigler, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Villas section (room 225 Luxury jacuzzi suite) of the resort which was on the 3rd floor. We were there April 6-11 for our 20th wedding anniversary. The resort is incredibly beautiful and very well maintained. Our room was gorgeous and the view from our room was breathtaking! The check in process was fast and easy and we were greeted with a glass of champagne. Simon drove us to our room and gave us the option of the scenic tour or going straight to our room, we chose to go straight to our room (we were excited to check it out and go exploring around the resort). After we checked out our room we walked down to the main drag to find somewhere to eat, we arrived at JoJo's and I asked if we needed to dress to eat there and they just asked my husband to remove his ball cap, no biggie, we sat down and ordered while looking all around and admiring the beauty of where we were. After dinner we went back to our room and had a plate of tuxedo straberries and some other desserts waiting for us and our bed was decorated with some towel art which was a nice touch.

Day 2, woke up and went to Cocotal for breakfast, it was pretty busy there but we didn't have to wait for a table. We went to the beach and found a place for him in the shade and myself in the sun and laid out and caught some rays and looked at the ocean. It was pretty windy the first 3 days we were there so swimming was not really possible, no big deal, there's plenty of pools to choose from! Our beach waiter was Juan and he was fantastic! Such a sweet guy and always makes you laugh. We were approached by an employee asking if we wanted massages and we said we were going to get massages but needed to talk to our concierge to see if we got anything special for our anniversary. We soon left the beach to go talk to our concierge Jorge, he was great and got us some deals on massages and a candle light dinner on the beach. Checked out the main pool, it was pretty busy but we got a drink and swam a little, then headed to the pizzaria for a late lunch. Went to Guacamayas that night and enjoyed some great entertainment and adult beverages.

Day 3, OUR 20th ANNIVERSARY!! Ordered room service for breakfast (we did this 3 days) it was very tasty and they bring it in and set it all up for you. Then went to the Exoctic travelers pitch, it was supposed to last an hour and a half but last two and a half hours because we seemed semi-interested, however, we did not buy into it but we did get to go look at the new resort named Generations, it's kid friendly and very beautiful! We also looked at some of the Casitas rooms, all in all I was just ready to get to the beach! After the pitch we ate luch at JoJo's and headed back to our room took a nap, which was perfect timing because it started raining. After the nap we went for our 80 min massages, we did the water thereapy before the massage which was nice. That night we had the candle light dinner on the beach which was wonderful!

Day 4, Beach day! Stayed on the beach ALL day and had Juan bring us drinks, it was paradise! I came out pretty crispy but hey, you gotta get a sunburn in Mexico, right? We played in the ocean and found some shells, the wind had finally died down so it was a perfect day. I did leave the beach for a quick game of bingo wherere I won a bottle of tequila! We ate at La Isla for dinner, again we did NOT have to wait, but we did arrive around 6 for dinner. We never had to wait anywhere we went, but we ate pretty early beteen 6-7.

Day 5, we discovered the swimming area and the other side of the pier, it's not quite as rocky. I did some snorkeling but couldn't really see anything because they were filling up some of the sand bags and the sand was all stirred up.

All in all it was a fantastic vacation, we enjoyed the shows at Guacamayas 3 nights of our stay. We walked around alot and took pictures. All of the employees always say "Hola" when the see you.The resort is pretty quiet and peaceful. Our room was always spotless and they made towel art for the bed almost every day and turned down our bed every night We plan to return next year and get a swim up room. We didn't find the dress code to be a problem especially at lunch. I do want to say that I read hundreds of reviews on this place before we went and was pretty prepared for the food portions, however, if you order how the menu reads, appetizer, soup/salad, main course, dessert you WILL be full! We never ordered dessert because we were full and my husband and I are big people with big appetites, we never left hungry, but if you do, just order room service or go to another restaurant. I don't know how some people give this place a bad review, we were very happy with everything and will definately go back! Be prepared to walk alot! We did tip but never felt like it was expected, most of the time we had to catch our waiter before they walked away to give them the tips. Also, you can stay as busy or lazy as you want! There's plenty to do if you want to do it, water aerobics,bingo, water polo, volleyball on the beach, spanish lessons, tequila tasting and on and on. We were there to relax and that's exactly what we did! Give this resort a try you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BDBandTDB
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear BDBandTDB,

We really appreciate your having taken the time to write this review with such a detailed description of our facilities, services and staff. We feel very proud to acknowledge you feel so enthusiastic about your recent vacation at our premises and we hope this will not be your last visit.
We know is in part to our wonderful staff, who you so thoughtfully mentioned, that El Dorado Royale remains the perfect vacation setting for romantic and entertaining getaways!

We hope to receive you again for another memorable vacation and thank you for your recomendations.

Munroe Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed at the resort for the 2nd time the 12th thru the 19th. Everything was just as good even without the swim up we had the previous year. Our concierges Zully, Patti and Fdo were there for anything we needed and took care of everything we needed with a pleasant smiles and conversation. We were in Rm. 805 This place is the best and we've stayed at a half dozen other places.

• Stayed April 2014
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear jsmcclarnon ,

It feels very rewarding to hear that our services have gone beyond our clients expectations.
We'll extend your compliments to our staff and most particularly, to your concierge Zully, Patti and Fernando
Comments like yours constitute some good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ satisfaction.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you once again for another memorable vacation.

Best regards,
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed at the resort for 2 weeks from the end of March until mid April. Suffice to say that we had a brilliant time for the majority of our stay, we have a few comments/tips for future fellow guests. The comments I make are personal opinions only and based on what we expected from the catalogue and reading previous reviews about the resort.
The Dreamliner flight was very good and I would recommend paying that bit extra to book your seats beforehand to ensure that you get a seat together (best thing is to ring up and book). The airport on arrival at Cancun was horrendous to say the least. Too many flights and you not only have to go through customs, but also get your luggage scanned again. Top tip take a drink from the plane with you and also a hand fan. Departure was much better and quicker.
Arriving at the hotel we were ushered into a reception room and given warm towels, a sparkling drink and some hors d’oeuvres. A painless booking in process and a lift to your room on a popemobile (golf buggy).
We booked a swim up suite and were given one in block 5400. Looked just like it does on the brochure pictures, but you can be very cosy with your neighbour on the sun loungers, depending on which room you get. Top tip, ensure that the bath is filled up to the last nozzle before turning on the Jacuzzi, and spare a thought for your neighbours as it is very noisy!! Perhaps due to the time of year, this block only got the sun until about midday then it got a bit chilly. Other blocks seemed to get more sun, but this never bothered us as we were on the beach most days, all day. One of things that really niggled me during the entire holiday was the fact that the room service menu was in Spanish/German – why?? I asked the reception, the travel rep and the concierge on three separate occasions for an English menu and nobody came up trumps the entire holiday. You will see why later.
The blocks beginning with 5000 are at the end of the resort. It is very peaceful there (unless there is a very loud wedding reception – this happened once and the noise cut off about 11pm just before I had chance to complain). It is within easy walking distance to the main lobby and centre of the resort – although we did used to catch the popemobile if one came by – there are now loads of bus stops to sit and wait for one. Just opposite this block are the Mexican and Culinary Theatre dining restaurants, with a swim up pool in front which is quite quiet.
There is also another “quiet” swimming pool at the end of block 5000 and Spot pool restaurant for breakfast and lunch (exclusively for Sensi Mar guests).
During our holiday this end of the resort was being transformed exclusively for Sensi Mar guests (plaques on doors, swing doors on the bridge over the swim up pool and by the restaurants, popemobile’s with Sensi Mar logo on, beach rules at the Kick Grill and activities boards all in German). In the Thomson brochure there is absolutely no mention of Sensi Mar at all, so why should it all be in German, down to the room service menu??? Nowhere else in the whole resort were any of the menus in German, so how did they get on there? This made me very irritated – perhaps the room menus could also be printed in English? I was not impressed being told to look at a specific tv channel, or look in the very large hotel book in the room. This to me is not getting the same service as other guests.
Tipping. Take some small denomination pesetas (20p’s), as this is always warmly received. We did not tip all the time, only when we were impressed with the service. It doesn’t get you served any quicker or better, as the level of service is so good everywhere.
Restaurants. Las Isla - brilliant for lunch, very good for evening meal. Cocotal - brilliant for breakfast, very good for evening meal. La Fuentes – you will need to book. This will take 2 hours as they cook whilst you watch on a large screen and then you get served the dish they have been cooking. Worth one night but if you don’t like the menu you are a bit stuck. Mexican Ricon – good for lunch and evening meal. Jo Jo’s – ok for lunch snack with stunning sea view. D’Italia (main lobby) – brilliant for evening meal. D’Italia (Casitas) – brilliant for evening meal, nearly the same menu as the other one, but this one just pipped the post. Sante Fe – you will need to book – brilliant for evening meal. Kampai – absolutely top dollar. These are the ones we frequented at the times stated. Top tip - get to the Kampai and D’talia (Casitas) by 7pm and you should not have to wait, if you go later there can be up to 1 hour wait, although there is a bar near to hand for both restaurants and they give you a buzzer. The standard of the food and service was outstanding, whether in a bar, restaurant or butler service. If you get a chance attend the executive chef’s cocktails on the pier and take your camera, and the Mexican night near the Isla pool to taste authenticate Mexican food.
Drinks. The drinks were all top shelf named brands, everything was available from Jack Daniels to Drambuie you only had to ask. The house wine available was varied and exceptionally good (we liked Pinot Noir). No complaints there. The draft beer was excellent, the cocktail list extensive and the champagne flowed from morning to night! A bit disappointing that there was no drinks menu in the martini lounge – not everyone knows all the different sorts, and as this is available in a sister resort I think it may be nice to have one here too?
Beach. A bit disappointing as there where quite a few rocks. The environmental sandbags did not bother us at all, as they created a small wave barrier. Sufficient sun loungers on a sugar white sand – just do as the rest do reserve your ideal spot and put your towels out early enough (my husband had to get up at 6.30 to get our preferred one at the Sensi Mar part of the beach, so we stopped going there!!). Despite being told at the rep’s meeting that the hotel were quite particular about this and after an hour would remove unattended towels – this did not happen!! Hence if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em.
Kick Grill. This is located at the Sensi Mar “quiet” end of the resort – compared with all other places you can lunch at, this does not match any of the others in quality or service and needs revamping, perhaps turn it into a B-B-Q style lunch menu. We moved on after day two and never went back.
Gift Shops. Very well appointed and prices were not much different than the shops in Cancun. We visited Cancun with the free shuttle service, but it only went on a Wednesday and Saturday midday to 5pm. To Playa del Carmen it only went every evening not during the day.
Resort Cleanliness. A big thank you to all the ground staff who were constantly keeping the grounds maintained, the popemobile drivers, the pool attendants, the waiters, the housekeepers – the list is endless and your efforts were noticed and appreciated.
Casitas. We were offered a move for our last three days to a first floor casitas room (hotel over booked) but decided against it. Whilst the accommodation may be more deluxe??? We were quite happy to stay where we were – couldn’t be bothered with all those steps ,and who wants an upheaval 3 days before packing to come home. Apart from going to the three restaurants located in the Casitas area, we didn’t bother going to that part of the resort at all, so cannot comment on any of the facilities there.
All in all we have a wonderful time there. Would we go back again? Maybe, but we do like to experience different resorts. For quality, service and value for money I would welcome this chain spreading to other parts of the globe, if they can maintain the standards set at this hotel.

Room Tip: Blocks 5000 to 5500 for being quiet. 4000 for more sun for swim up but bit cosy with the neighbours...
2 Thank darcy61
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Amazing hotel, treated like royalty, food excellent,all rooms perfect,very comfy large beds. 2nd visit here stayed for 2 weeks. Lots of pools, lovely beach ( stoney in some areas of the water) Lovely massage on beach. Highly recommend

Room Tip: All rooms perfect
Dear Trudi P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad to learn how much you have enjoyed your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma and that our facilities and service were up to your expectations. We look forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican home.

Warm regards,
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife celebrated our 3rd year anniversary at El Dorado. Our stay was from April 11th, 2014 to April 18th, 2014. The airport transportation was booked through Lomas, which did a good job. Once we arrived, we got to our jr jacuzzi room, which was clean and neat. The AC units were new and kept the room icy all day long. The grounds are absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and looks twice as good during the evening. The colored lights throughout the resort at night was pleasing to the eye. The Caisaitas side was more of a quiet, reserved side of the resort. If you're not into partying, stay on the Caisaitas side for sure. The restaurants were cool with good food. The seared tuna at Jo Jo's was excellent. Ricon's Mexican restaurant was our favorite. The beach area was a little small due to the sandbags, but it was cool for us. The nightly entertaining was great. The late night music, after the shows was just okay. The DJ could've had more of a variety of music, to include more modern sounds. The bars had us feeling nice every night! 24 hour room service was great for the late nights where you missed the restaurants. Lomas did a good job booking excursions, but be prepared to have multiple stops to different resorts before you get to the final destination. This was very annoying as it took away from the experience. Don't snorkel or do any type of water excursion. The water was extremely choppy and we got sea sick on the Catayamans cruise. My wife was very impressed with her spa sessions. I would absolutely recommend this resort to family and friends to stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Trizzo215,

Thank you for your recent review.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and were so well looked after by the team
here at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
i am sorry to here that it was very windy when you were here, normaly it is very calm.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards
Red Deer, Alberta
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Fantastic food. Amazing for people with allergies. My wife and I went I'm celiac she has avacado allergies and the restaurants and staff where so good to us. Always gave us different options. Fantastic service!! Nicest people ever. Lots of things to do. Not a party place so after 11 resort is pretty quiet but everything else is top notch. Couldn't imagine better service or cleanliness anywhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank adamlamb
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am happy to hear that your experience with our resort was in line with our reputation for upscale and quality service, which is all a part of our unique gourmet inclusive concept.

On behalf of El Dorado Royale, I'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort.

All the best!
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!