“Amazing Hotel”

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here July 2013

Amazing hotel and staff we couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon!!
Tried all the restaurants. jojo's for a relaxed meal next the beach or try the pizza bar next to the pool. delicious food and room service was just as good. Breakfast at cocotal is really good so much choice

Staff are friendly always saying hello with a smile.

Special mention to Primo who was our concierge always there to help booking into restaurants and one night we arrived back to find a bottle of champagne
Also Juan at the beach bar great guy

Have recommended this place to everyone, hopefully will be back soon

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElishaD
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Elisha D,

Thank you for your recent review.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and were so well looked after by the team
here at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
We will make sure that Primo see your kind comments. He is an exceptional concierge.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Sincerely yours,
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,484)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel has a great location and that is it
You have to pay for wifi and that is $12 a day also it is terribly slow and if you need your phone and iPad attached you have to pay for both
The hotel does not have enough chairs or loungers at the pool or beech.
Then we come to the fact that there is a dress policy for dinner which means for me shirts and trousers, please understand I am not saying were speedo and vest but it is hot here and we are not eating in a 3 star restaurant we are eating at a beech resort hotel in Mexico.
If you have an issue the senior management hides does not appear or actually talk to you when you request it

In short give this place a miss there are better more flexible hotels here

• Stayed May 2014
18 Thank leeothers
Elko, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

First I would like to say I have stayed in over 30 All inclusive resorts from 3.5 to 5 star. I would rate the EDR a 4.5 at best. This is my 2nd time at the EDR I stayed at the Casitas when it was new in 2001.

CHECK IN/LOBBY-4.5- We had a quick 10 min check in actually to quick they did not give us a lot of information about the resort but we managed. The lobby is very nice and air conditioned the bathrooms are very clean and air conditioned. We arrived at are room in 20 minutes by golf cart!

ROOM-4.5- We stayed in room #724 top floor facing ocean but no ocean view a lot of palm trees the ocean view is one thing we missed! The room was very nice and clean we did find a lot of ants the first day only around the sink area. The air conditioner worked great but it has a very bright blue light on the front that shined over the bed! The bed was very comfortable! The room was very quite except for the last night we stayed had a fighting couple next door throwing items against the walls! The safes in the room take a key they need a digital safe if you loose your key they will charge you! The sinks and shower drained very very slow.

ROOM SERVICE-5- We had room service a lot every morning actually I would recommend it! It was always very quick never more than 30 min we would order then take a shower and be on the beach while everyone else was standing in line for 1 hr to eat! The food was always good but very small portions so order extra.

RESTARAUNTS-4- The food was always good but the wait time is unacceptable especially when you have other plans. A lot of complaints from guests!

BARS/DRINKS-4.5-Great drinks a lot to choose from! The bar at the entertainment building at night was awesome had a great time! The service at the swing bar at the beach was very slow even when it was not bz?

POOLS-5- What can I say so many pools and swim up bars to choose from! Just find one you like and enjoy!

BEACH/OCEAN-3.5-Well the beach at the EDR is not your average beach for the CANCUN/PLAYA DEL CARMEN area it was white but had a lot of rocks and the big sand bags in the water(whales) did not look good in pictures:( So if you must have a nice beach with nice water DO NOT STAY HERE! The whales did provide a good snorkeling area because fish are attracted to them.

GROUNDS-4.5- Very nice and clean a lot of palm trees and flowers the grounds are large but not bad from are room #724 we had a 2 min walk to the beach and a 5 min walk to the lobby!

The only real complaint that I have is the cleanliness of the hall ways in front of the rooms the room service plates would sit for days and animal droppings and trash all over the walk ways and stairs. Overall we had another great trip we like to stay at different resorts and make new friends we will be back in Cancun in July:)

NOTE: I would highly recommend the jeep snorkeling trip to COZUMAL it was awesome you travel around the island in your own jeep stopping at some great beaches snorkeling eating and drinking! O also a tequila tour:) For $100 us a person from 8 to 5.

Room Tip: Room #724 top floor very quite close to the beach and lobby!
4 Thank CARLIN1982
Dear CARLIN1982,
Thank you for recounting your experience in such vivid detail. You clearly have a keen eye – for spotting wildlife, style & aesthetics, customer service – and I am thrilled that you loved everything you laid eyes on.

Unfortunately we are sad to read that the beach did not reach your expectations. We have had many storms come throughout the years we are in constant work of maintaining the sand the best we can. By installing an artificial reef system is part of this work, our arduous work will continue.

We are grateful for your contribution with your comments; regarding the room service plates a staff board meeting has been held were major new implements will be taking place very shortly.

We hope the memories of El Dorado Royale stay fresh in your memory always – though we hope and look forward for your visit once again in the near future.

Warm Regards
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I were encouraged by our travel agent to try a resort by Karisma, El Dorado Royale.
We were booked with an anniversary package and limo transportation from airport to hotel.
The hotel, the staff people at the resort, the concierge service, the food, the room, the beach and the entire complex were above and beyond any place we have visited. The anniversary package was an incredible value (included couples massage, candle light dinner on the beach, a Jacuzzi with rose petals as well as the bed; a bottle of iced champagne; chocolate on the pillows; you get the massage).
This was our 10th trip to the Cancun area and we will return perhaps twice a year!
We plan to visit Azul Sensatori complex on our next trip but will also return to El Dorado Royale on a future date.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to beach, preferably with a swim up patio. There are bars at every pool!
2 Thank Robert C
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Robert C,

Thank you for the positive review. I am happy to hear that your experience with our resort was in line with our reputation for upscale and quality service, which is all a part of our unique gourmet inclusive concept.

On behalf of El Dorado Royale, I'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort and we will be more than delighted to welcvome you in any of our Karisma resorts.

All the best!
Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at El Dorado Royale (EDR) 4/23-30. We arrived late afternoon and check-in was quick, professional and painless. The bellboys transport you and luggage to your room via golf cart (more on this later). As we were late, our concierge had left for the day; we were told to contact him the next day. The next morning I was preparing to walk to the lobby and meet our concierge; however, before I was quite ready, he called and was going to explain things over the phone to avoid my walking to his location. I told him I would like to meet him and that I had a few questions. I met Jorge 30 minutes later and he was prepared to answer all questions as well as provide a great deal of additional information. Jorge was a valuable asset during our entire stay.

HOTEL: The hotel is very, very large with walking paths to various sectors all through the venue. The grounds are beautiful, well-cared-for and ecologically oriented. Everything possible is done to support a "green" environment. This means recycling stations along all the paths; there is nothing unattractive about the set-up as they are under ash trays very similar to most places in the U.S. Water for the resort is heated by solar.

ROOM: We stayed in room 4328. Everything about the room was ok except the lighting. It was difficult to shave in the sink area or read at night in the main room (this room is a studio setup).
Other reviewers complained about the bathroom as you can see directly from the patio into the toilet room when the door is open. Two people in the bath/sink area does not provide the privacy that most people like. There are 2 sinks in the for simultaneous use. So, 4328 is very open and very clean. Our house cleaning fellow, Modesto, was excellent and timely (other than Sunday when there appeared less staff and he had many more rooms to care for than on other days). Leaving a "do not disturb" sign on your for a lengthy time could lead to later afternoon service.

DINING: There is an excellent choice of restaurants. All are gourmet. Some TA contributors have written that the portions are small. We felt the portions were quite adequate but you order more if you wish. Our first night we ate at Rincon. I had the shrimp and also the lobster "whatever it was called". My wife had salmon. All 3 dishes were rated excellent. Next night we ate at JoJo's, an open-air restaurant along the beach. We both had fish & chips which were very good. The waiter responded to my question of what type of fish was used for the fish: Mahi Mahi, not your basic cod. JoJo's atmosphere is just as it sounds, open air and no frills.
Cocotal is extremely good for breakfast and very good for dinner. We ate at Santa Fe one night (reservation only) and the meal is extensive -you must try it for yourself. Santa Fe is open for breakfast also and is sit-down, ordering what you want. Cocotal is buffet-style but I can't think of anything you may want that is not available (including a fix-it-yourself Bloody Mary bar).
We ate at D'Italia 2 times as I really liked the grilled shrimp.

POOLS; We spent most of our time at the Tucanes pool; it is smaller than the main La Isla pool and more quiet. So, there are fewer lounge chairs as well. So, beware and get there early (this is true of all the pools). At Tucanes we placed our belongings on a chair about 9 am, ate breakfast and were back to the pool about 10 am. Fuentes pool was closer to our room but I filled up faster. All pools are very clean.

As far as cleanliness throughout the resort, it could not be better. Enuff said.
The beach itself is clean but the edge of the surf is not. Without the sandbags out further in the bay it would be worse. The sandbags also have a secondary function in that as the tide comes in sand is released slowly toward the beach which helps prevent erosion.

OTHER NOTES: Public restrooms have cloth towels rather than the paper towels or blowers.
The property has a green house which measures approx. 70,000 sq. ft. The greenhouse is where all the vegetables and herbs are grown for this resort and a couple others. It is an amazing set-up and I recommend taking the tour that is available, I believe, 3 different mornings of the week.
There are so many employees who helped make our stay so wonderful, I can mention only a couple: Cuba, waiter at Fuentes pool and blocks 4000's & 5000's, Juan a bartender waiter who moves around, and Jorge Cruz, waiter at D'Italia Casitas.
GO TO EDR, YOU WILL ENJOY!!

Room Tip: Blocks 4200-4400 are in agreat location and mosty rooms geet afternoon sun.
11 Thank PBRguy
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear PBRguy,
We have been honored with a review not only from an expert traveler such as yourself, but the fact that you show satisfied with your experience makes us feel really proud of our site and staff.
Thank you once again for having confidence in us even though we still need to improve in some areas. I am sure that many of our trip advisor fellow readers will definitely appreciate your recommendations and suggestions.
Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services, the staff that you were so kind to mention will be very happy.
It will be great to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable vacation.

Warm regards
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Gourmet dining and excellent service. Clean and comfortable rooms with plenty of space for storage.
Evening entertainment good and entertainment bar very clean and welcoming.
Fine dining every evening with lots of different restaurants - no need to book most of them but occasionally there is a short wait for a table - no problem just hit the nearest bar and they page you.

Room Tip: Miss rooms in 1500 block - we had one night with a very noisy disco from a private party but we were...
1 Thank dgb013
Dear Guest from United kingdom,

Thank you for your recent review.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and were so well looked after by the entertainment team
here at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
We will make sure our bar team see your kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I just returned from our second visit to the El Dorado Royale and it was even better than our first visit!! It was our anniversary and we got a nice upgrade to an oceanview room in the swim up suites section, which was beautiful. The resort is gorgeous, lush and large with several beautiful pools and a number of excellent restaurants. The one thing my husband and I loved, though, were the bali beds all over the resort; by the beach, by the pool, under the numerous coconut palm trees. It was so relaxing to just lie there with a good book, the ocean breezes caressing you, and when you got bored or hungry there was the ocean to go into, the pools to swim in, hammocks to relax in. There were plenty of activities to choose from, also, if you wanted to be more active; we choose to just unwind after a difficult and stressful year, and we came to the right place to do that.

As far as the service, the room, the food, I'll write a bit about each:

The service: Excellent. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, especially our concierge, named Primo, who took care of guests in Villa 42. He was truly "Primo". My husband recently had foot surgery and he made sure we had dinner reservations so he wouldn't have to stand on his feet and wait for a table in any of the great restaurants. Also, he was constantly arranging for transportation (the property is huge; they have little trams and golf carts that shuttle you around if you don't want to walk) and other things we requested. We truly got the V.I.P. treatment from him, and thanks again, Primo. Everyone else was great also, if you wanted an extra bar of soap, you got six. Right away. If you wanted room service, it was there in a flash, fresh, hot and delicious!! Top rate, all the way!

As for the room, it was lovely. Nicely decorated with an oh so comfortable bed, large flat screen tv (which we didn't watch, we wanted to be outdoors) huge jacuzzi for two, nice amenities, a great balcony overlooking the winding river that led to one of the pools with an oceanview in the distance. Paradise!!

Food: All was delicious, I think the lobster lasagna in D'Italia was better than it was two years ago and the Korean beef dish I had, the spring rolls and the little fried shrimp dumplings at Kampaii were fantastic. I wish I had some to nibble on now. The breakfast buffet at Cocotal was great, with a fantastic variety of foods from nova lox and bagels to eggs benedict, gluten free pastries, freshly made omelets, crispy bacon, champagne for mimosas....well, you get the picture. Just one comment/suggestion I have for the staff about D'Italia. It's a popular great restaurant and lots of guests want to eat there, so sometimes you have to wait up to an hour for a table. I noticed the tables are really spread out in the restaurant and I believe you could comfortably add more tables and get guests seated quicker without anyone being too close to other diners.

All in all, this was a wonderfully relaxing trip and I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to unwind, have a romantic honeymoon, or just get away and enjoy a tropical paradise. Oh yes, plus it's only about twenty minutes from the Cancun airport, which is nice.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly and ask for exactly what you want, location wise, floor wise, view wise. Th...
5 Thank Cosmom
Dear Cosmom,
I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share in every detail your positive experience with us. We are privileged to have been able to host you and your partner's Anniversary stay with us!

It is in part to our wonderful staff like concierge Primo he is one of a kind, who you so thoughtfully mentioned, that El Dorado Royale remains the perfect vacation setting for romantic and entertaining getaways!

We look forward to welcoming you back again, maybe for a first year for another wonderful Anniversay? We will have the champagne chilled, awaiting your next arrival!

Warm regards
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,383 reviews

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!