“Complete Review from an All-Inclusive Regular”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
“Complete Review from an All-Inclusive Regular”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

First thing is first - if you are reading through reviews and you have NEVER had the all-inclusive experience, stop worrying, you will love this resort. No need to read further... go enjoy your vacation -
However, read through my tips at the bottom of this review.

If you have been doing all-inclusive resorts since you were 12 (like myself) - keep on reading... this one is for you. I read through more than 100 reviews before we ventured out and most of them seemed to be staying on the Casitas side - this is your run of the mill, garden-view, I'm super cheap, review. Also, to preface this review, as just mentioned, I'm super cheap... we snagged this resort on Groupon. That does affect my opinion of the resort as you will later see. (Also, it's important to know that I already found my perfect resort and sadly it was recently sold to another company and went to crap. This was an effort to find my husband and I - and my family - a new favorite resort)

Reasons I would book with El Dorado Royale again:
- Beautiful landscaping (seriously gorgeous)
- Very clean resort
- Far above average food (as far as all-inclusive food goes)
- Personal Concierges for your area of the resort (Need to take a moment to explain this. As with any resort there is a concierge in the main lobby - who I usually never go see. However, when you book here, even in the cheapest room offered, you too are given a personal concierge. Ours was Erika (we were in building 12) and she was beyond fabulous. She was more than accommodating, and she ALWAYS delivered on her promises. The personal concierge truly gave me the feeling that we were staying at a luxury resort and that we were genuinely VIPs.
- Good size rooms (even the smallest ones
- Decently comfortable beds/pillows (it's hard to beat my tempurpedic mattress)
- Timely/respectful cleaning service
- THE BEDS BY THE POOL (more on these later - I will never book an all-inclusive again unless they have these!)
- Plenty of couples to make new friends with (be warned single people - all-inclusives tend to be VERY couples oriented, so if you are looking for a party hotel, you may be disappointed by all the wedding, marriage, and children conversations happening around you. May want to keep looking...)
- LOVED the A/C! We are from Texas, and know the importance of central air (and the ability to control it). Each room is equipped with a state of the art wall unit that is unlike anything I've seen. You can set it exactly how you want it. We both slept great and loved walking out of the heat into our nice cool room everyday!

Reasons that while this hotel was wonderful, this will likely be my only time to visit as I continue to search for my perfect resort (again):
(Please know - this is me being VERY picky - I still believe this resort is worth visiting so that you can experience it for yourself)
- The bars IMO were never staffed enough for the amount of people ordering - we were at the main pool (La Isla) every day from Wed-Sat. The issue with the bar is not that 1 bartender cannot serve all the people waiting at the swim up bar. It is that the swim up bar backs up into the restaurant. So there is ONE bartender for everyone in the pool AND everyone in the restaurant. This makes for very very slow service and it is not at all the bartenders fault. He was a machine and did the best he could. My thought is that this is managements way to keep cost down by not having to pay an extra body as well as not giving out twice as much liquor in one day. Expect to wait 5-10 mins to have your order taken, and another 5 mins to receive your drink.
- The pool (and honestly El Dorado, because I know you are reading this - this is the main reason we will not be returning, this is an easy fix, and should have been done long before now. Cough up the cash and get it done.) is bath water warm. Like, you feel as if you are getting into a hot tub that is still trying to warm up. Most pools in Texas and further south must come equipped with a chiller. EDR has one! Yay! Only issue is, it's on the FAR end of the pool where no one is, and has only ONE outlet. So there is a hole, the size of a golf ball, and if you stand next to it, it's pumping icy cold water. This great for that tiny area, but there is NO way it could EVER cool that entire pool. For me, that's a deal breaker. I spend my entire vacation in the pool.
- The beach/ocean is sub-par if you are an ocean person. My husband loves to snorkel and did not see any of the normally colorful fish you would find in this area - which I'm sure is due to the giant sand bags. (You can read more on these in other reviews) Long story short - if you are a beach person, this resort is not for you.
- The guys who get you involved with pool activities were awesome - so funny, so engaging! However, they were 4-trick ponies. EDR - you need to better utilize these guys. All they do EVERY day: water aerobics, water volleyball, water polo, beach volleyball. The end. At other resorts I've stayed at they do something different EVERY day of the week. Granted it is repeated every week but still, something fun and different. This makes for something entertaining to watch and participate in if so inclined.
- The candlelight dinner. IMO is a joke. GRANTED we did not participate, but I have done these at other resorts. The huts they have you in are indeed on the beach, however, you are seated right next to another table. This should be a time where you and your (likely) new spouse feel like you are alone on a beach with the waves being served food. You should not have to listen to other peoples conversations.
- I was in sales for several years, and I know a good pitch when I hear one. You will be propositioned to hear the sales presentation from your concierge. This is not always a bad thing. This is how you get free stuff. HOWEVER, the reward IMO was totally not worth the effort. I was expecting to hear that we would be given free massages (instead - just 2 for 1), or a free "candlelight dinner" (instead just $50 off bringing your total bill down to $90), or a free excursion off property. NOPE. Not worth it. Just say no unless any of that sounds like it's perfect for your wallet. Just know, once they get you in there, they are going to try to sell you... HARD.
- Restaurant service is wonderful, but slow. This isn't a horrible thing, just expect to be there like you would any normal restaurant in the states (hour to an hour and a half). Loved all our waiters - very friendly.

TIPS THAT YOU MUST READ:
- THE SECOND YOU GET THERE (if you get there before "check in" at 3 then alter that to the second the chime strikes 3:00 on the day you arrive) introduce yourself to your personal concierge and tell them you want a reservation at Santa Fe and Fuentes. We did exactly this on Tuesday at 3 when we arrived and the only available reservations were on Friday/Saturday - which is good considering we left Sunday! If you don't take care of this IMMEDIATELY you will miss out on the best food at the resort.
- Best restaurants (that we went to) at the resort ranked for dinner (IMO): Santa Fe, Fuentes, Rincon/Kampai tied, Di'italia Casitas
- Santa Fe - order anything - it's going to be awesome. Like, nice restaurant awesome
- Fuentes - ask your concierge to see the menu for the day you are being offered a reservation. It's different each day but set with no changes made. This was such a neat experience. It's like watching the Food Network while you eat. The walk you through how they make each dish and why. We LOVED it and the food was AWESOME. (Expect to be there for 1.5 - 2 hours)
- Rincon didn't get great reviews on here which shocked me. And I did not like my entree (the brisket was 70% fat) but I'm still telling you it was fantastic. We are from San Antonio and eat Tex-Mex all the time. Husband got the salmon and was drooling the entire time. All the appetizers are awesome (duck carnitas!! Mmmm) but you MUST get the Tres Leches for dessert. It was my second favorite of all the ones we ate. If you have never had tres leches, just trust me. If you have, this will compare with the one your abuelita makes! ;-)
- Kampai - we went there twice, my only recommendation is to not go there for lunch. We arrived at the resort late and Kampai was one of the few that was open and everything was sub par. HOWEVER dinner is an entirely different story. We ordered 4/5 of the sushi rolls on the menu, all were great. My duck was a little over cooked for my entree but all of that is nothing compared to the fried ice cream. Don't think. Just order it. Both of you. Get the same dessert. Screw sharing. It's that good. Like a big donut stuffed with ice cream. Like - holy crap good.
- Di'italia - everyone told us that the casitas one is better that the resort one so we were sure to head there. If you are coming from the UK or Europe, I feel like this is right up your alley. If you are from the states... beware. There is a lot of lamb/veil on the menu which can be off-putting. Every staff member I spoke to raved about the Lobster Lasagna, so naturally I ordered it. Now, I'm Italian, like, Make-my-own-sauce-from-scratch-and-everyone-raves-about-it Italian. In no way, was that a lasagna. It was like a lobster stew with lasagna noodles. I was expecting the lobster to be mixed in with the ricotta and them create a nice lobster cream sauce. Instead - I can't really tell you what I ate. It wasn't bad, just... different. I feel like this is one of those times where we just ordered the wrong items off the menu. Maybe ask around for other people who ate there and ask what they ordered before you go. For me, I would have switched that night for La Isla - which I heard was surprisingly good (which is how I would describe Rincon)
- My beloved pool bed. The glory of my entire vacation. People who passed by looked at me with a look of painful jealousy. And in the words of someone far less educated "They hate me because they ain't me." ;-) In order to snag one of these beds you will have to be OK with setting your alarm... early. Early in the week you can get away with 6:30-6:45, but as you get to Wed-Sat, people figure out the drill and you have to set your alarm for 6:00. You don't need to lay there, just mark it with towels/personal items and you are good - then head back to bed. For me, TOTALLY worth it. I've already told you that my fine culinary skills come from my Italian heritage, well my SUPER white freckled physique is thanks to the Irish side. If you are white girl white like myself and you DONT get a bed, good luck. There are no umbrellas. None. You will be baking your little heart out and taking refuge in the shade created by the swim up bar. As far as regular lounge chairs - you can probably snag them up until 10 or 11, then they are gone. Now all of this is for the main pool (I like to be where the action is) I can't speak for the other pools, but know that there are many and you can find a seat SOMEWHERE.

Closing thoughts:
Like I said - I got this on groupon. We went to my "perfect hotel" that no longer exists (Aventura Spa Palace - now - Hard Rock Riviera Maya) this time last year for CHEAPER than my groupon and it included $750 worth of resort credit that we used to get massages and swim with the dolphins - FANTASTIC well rounded experience. That being said, I believe that this resort is good for the price I paid. There is no way you would be able to get me to do it for full price. But again, that is because I'm comparing it to Aventura (which I had been to 3 times and my parents 7). If you already booked it and you are worried you made the wrong decision - don't worry. You will have a great time. It may even be your favorite. For me, I've had more for less money so it's hard to compare. Hope this helped! Enjoy your vacation wherever you end up!

Stayed July 2014
28 Thank Michelle M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,560)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great resort for couples! The food was excellent with several different places to eat. The rooms are comfortable and the staff were all very friendly. The only thing I think may be a problem is the beach is not as nice as some people would probably like, but the resort has so many activities and entertainment going on you won't really notice it.

Room Tip: best villas are of course close to the beach
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Michael R,
Thank you for recounting your experience in such vivid detail. I thoroughly enjoying reading your feedback and happy you had a great vacation here with us.
We truly appreciated the constructive feedback regarding the beach all comments are more than welcome.
We only hope you may honor us once again with a future visit.

Warm regards
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon here. Overall it was a wonderful experience, save for the issues we had due to mistakes made by the travel agency we went through. We have no complaints about the resort. It was absolutely beautiful, very clean, the staff was friendly, and food was spectacular. We arrived on Monday 07/14 around 10:30 am, which is before check out time at noon, so our room wasn't ready yet. We walked around the resort and ate lunch at Jo Jo's. Our room was finally ready around 1:30. We went to see our concierge Erika who set us up with reservations for Fuentes and Santa Fe, as well as had us choose from the pillow menu. We got 5 $20 coupons for wine and a $50 candlelight dinner and were told that it would be $90 extra for the candlelight dinner. We left somewhat confused wondering why we would have to pay for something that was supposed to be included in our package. We met a few other honeymooners who booked through the same travel agency who told us what all they received with their complimentary honeymoon package which included 2 for 1 Beachfront sky massages, the candlelight dinner, complimentary wifi, and breakfast in bed. We tried to call our travel agent and she didn't answer. It turned out that she had not emailed someone to let them know we should get the honeymoon package. We did not hear from her until the LAST day of our trip, which was too late for her to do anything. We had already went ahead and booked our couples sunrise massage which cost $230. Luckily we brought our marriage license so Erika checked and got us comped the candlelight dinner, breakfast in bed, and romantic decorations for our room. We also got a $200 credit for our massages. We are so thankful for Erika and the resort for working with her. She went above and beyond to make our honeymoon a memorable experience even though it was our travel agent that screwed up.

On to the food/drinks. 5 stars no doubt. We ate and drank like kings. Our stay was a little too short to hit all of the restaurants, but we tried as much as we could. We didn't get to eat at Santa Fe since we went to our candlelight dinner instead. We also didn't eat at Kampai or D'italia. We ate at Cocotal for breakfast every morning except for once because the buffet was amazing. There was so much to choose from and it was all delicious. We both loaded our plates up more than once. It was close to our room as well so we didn't have to walk very far after stuffing ourselves. We ate twice at Jo Jo's, both times I got the catch of the day with either a cerveza or cholada. We ate at La Cabana Pizzeria twice. First day they were out of pizza so we got burgers, but they were still good. The second time we got the pizza which was yummy. It is right by the main pool, so it was a little more casual than the other places we went. We went to Rincon Mexicano once. Had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated, not a big deal, and it was fancier so portions were small. We both had to duck carnitas for appetizers, I had the Lobster chimichangas (a must try!) and then the tres leches cake for dessert. Our favorite dinner of all was at Fuentes, which also happened to be our last. It is a 5 course meal so go hungry. Each course was delightful and we left satisfied. You can also get wine pairings for $40 extra, but we passed on that. One morning we walked down to the health bar and got smoothies. Very refreshing. We did order room service twice. Both times it took over 45 minutes to get it, which was expected since I had read reviews before we left. The service at the beach bar was fast and the drinks were perfect. The La Isla pool bar was a little slower as it was very busy most days, but the bartenders took good care of us! Any drink you want they can make it for you even if its not on the menu. We went to the Circo show on Wednesday night and grabbed some rum and cokes at Guacamayas. Best rum and cokes we've had.

A few things I wish we had taken advantage of a little more were the free activities like yoga, snorkeling, kayaking, the bus to cancun and Playa Del Carmen, and the shows each night. There are so many things to do that it's hard to fit it all in in 5 days. I was very impressed with the room.The Bed was very comfortable. We slept really well, and getting to choose our pillows gave it that personal touch.The Shower was huge and the water was the exact temperature you wanted it to be. My favorite part was the jacuzzi tub. I think I used it every night. The Air conditioner was great. After a day at the beach walking into a cool room was so refreshing. We had no problem with our room being made up or the mini fridge being stocked. Everything was always done and the room was always immaculate. This was our first All Inclusive resort and I honestly think it is going to be hard to do any better than this one!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room near Guacamayas. We were fairly close and you could hear the bar.
9 Thank Gina M
Dear friend Gina M

It has been a great pleasure to receive your warm review describing your most recent vacation at our premises.
It shows it´s your heart speaking.
We thank your compliments to our staff, services, facilities and atmosphere and I hope you give us the honor of another visit pretty soon to enjoy all the activities that you missed this time.
Looking forward to welcome you again for another memorable holiday,

Best Regards
Dudley
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Its taken me too long to write this review really since our visit was in November 2013
So for that reason I can't really remember many of the names of the bars, pools and restaurants we visited but have to agree with most of the recent reviews I've just read. We tried to visit all of the bars and restaurants whilst we were there and we didn't have a bad meal; the food quality was excellent.

We booked an Oceanfront suite in the Royale side which was great. We also received a bottle of fizz and Wi-fi as it was our anniversary. We loved the jaccuzzi, hammock and mini bar. I thought the turndown service was a gimmick but it was actually lovely.

It was so nice to walk around and there was always a 'Hola' from any member of staff we came into contact with

I loved the fact I could still go out in the evening in my heels...knowing that there would be a golf buggy along any minute to take us to wherever we wanted to go!

The only thing that didn't amaze me was the beach (I'm sure there are nicer beaches in Mexico) but we much preferred to spend time at the pools anyway.

My husband would love to return if we visited Mexico again. Don't have any hesitations about staying here... its wonderful!

Room Tip: We would definitely go for oceanfront again. My hubby loved watching the sunrise and lounging in the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Loveastay
Dear lovely guests,

It has been a real pleasure to read your recent review.
We very much appreciate your comments regarding our hotel facilities and most of all, our staff performance.
We are sure your matter-of-fact description of our site´s atmosphere will be a great help for future travelers when choosing exactly the place for some lay-back vacations.
Thank you so much.
Hoping to welcome you once again this time for longer at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma,

Best Regards,
Willow Park, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I just returned from a six day stay at this resort. I read a number reviews about it before going . I found some are true and some are not true. The beach is not as bad as a read. Yes it is a larger resort, but they carts to take you around and who doesn't need to do a little walking to help with all the eating and drinking you do.

Pros: This is an adult no kids resort and that was the best part of the whole trip. I found the service to be good but not over the top like at other resorts I have been to in the area. We had an ocean front room which was clean, but only had a partial view because of the palm tress. The staff was very friendly and greeted you with a smile. The resort is large, but not to the point you cannot get around. They do have carts that can pick you up and take you where you want to go. We had dinner at only restaurant, the Japanese one, and the food was good. I used the gym ever day and had no problems. If you come when they open at 7 am, you have to enter through the spa.

Cons: Don't leave any leave any money out in your rooms. We have traveled in this area enough to know better. But, we some forgot and left some money in a beach bag the our day of arrival and when we discovered we had left money in the bag it was gone. However, they did not take all the money, left $60 out of $300. The resort did an investigation and they could not determine who took the money. They offered a comp spa treatment. We were satisfied they at least did an investigation. The safes in the room are operated with a key and lock. This makes it very inconvenient when you have two people in a room. All the other resorts that we have been to, use a combination that you determine on your own. For some reason, this place thinks their method is more secure. When you eat at the more casual restaurants, La Lsla, Jo's Jo's, Cocotal. they do allow anyone to wear a hat. You read that at the better restaurants they require long pants, not true. We saw a number of men wearing shorts.

Overall: The beach is OK. The area in front Beach Bar and Jo's Jo's is the best beach area. The other beach areas are rocky. The pool by La Isla is the busiest of the pools. The bar tenders are OK pay more attention to a well developed female when it comes to ordering drinks. The pool by Tucanes bar is quieter and we got better service from the bar tender their. The pool bar by Fuentes was OK, but the best bar tender. That is salt water pool.

Would I go back to this place. NO. It is nice, but I think you can find better value for your money.

Room Tip: If you don't want to wait for lunch, there is a small buffet down from the Presidential Suites a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Harold H
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We visited here from 4th - 18th July 2014. we had a lovely stay. The food was fantastic, a good variety and great flavours. The waiting staff were brilliant, very thorough and polite to us.

We did have a few issues whilst away - we had expected our 'ocean front' to be on the beach but it wasn't and was more of an 'ocean view', we were ill for 3 days, when phoning room service they kept getting our name wrong despite repeated correction until we got fed up and complained to the concierge and our mini fridge was not restocked daily.

The pools and beaches were lovely and everywhere we went the staff were friendly. The grounds were stunning and well kept too.

The excursions we did were brilliant and would recommend - Swimming with Dolphins at Delphinus, Coco Bongo, Xcaret and Chicen Itza.
In particular if you go to Chichen Itza go with Grayline and hope for Delio as he was a brilliant tour guide. It is very hot though so take an umbrella and lots of water!

Overall our honeymoon was great and we'd go back to Mexico and this hotel, we had just hoped for a bit more personal service from the hotel as it was our honeymoon.

Room Tip: The swim up suites looked to be a better choice than ocean front.
Dear Lucy S,
First of all congratulations on your honeymoon!
Thank you for recounting your experience in such vivid detail. You clearly have a keen eye – for spotting wildlife, style – and I am thrilled that you loved everything you laid eyes on.

I am sure that many of our trip advisor fellow readers will definitely appreciate your recommendations and suggestions.

We hope the memories of El Dorado Royale stay fresh in your memory always – though we hope and look forward for your visit once again in the near future

Best regards
Byron, Illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We came to this resort this past February, loved it so much we came back in July. We have been to many resorts in Mexico, this is by far the best. We joined as members in February and upgraded trip. We are already planning our next visit. Hope to stay 10-14 days next time. This time we stayed on the El Dorado Royale side of the resort with a swim up suite. Our concierges- Arturo and Adriana were wonderful. The place is immaculate and they cannot do enough to make sure you are happy. When we checked in there was a mix up on our rooms, but they made it right immediately, no problem on our end at all. The food is great, this time we tried out a couple of restaurants we did not make it to last time, Fuentes was a very dining experience. It is not perfect but I would say they are trying to be the best they can be at all times.
One night we ate at D'Italia Villas. They were short staffed for some reason, so the food took longer to come out than usual, we did not care as it's also nice to just sit back and savor the mood between courses. Our waiter Moises was working so hard, he apologized many times for the delay but we honestly did not care I only mention this because I think he should be commended for how hard he worked and his extra effort to make sure everyone was happy.
This visit we went on the green house tour, very impressive! We love their eco-friendly mission. We also had fun parasailing and of course I went for a beach-side massage and manicure, both were very nice, (of course they are at resort prices)
On our last day there we had some new neighbor who stood in a loud group drinking and yelling all afternoon/evening leaving all their empties and butts on our veranda. If it weren't our last day there we would have complained. Just goes to show you there are jerks at all levels. Rather than say anything we walked over to the beach and enjoyed the view from a beach bed until it was time to get ready for dinner.
Like I said, we cannot wait to go back. We are also planning on taking our children and grandchildren for a visit to Generations. And hope to check our the other resorts near by in the future.

4 Thank DrNana1
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Elizabeth M,
We have been honored with a review not only from an expert traveler such as yourself but also by one of our beloved members for your wonderful review and kind words, I enjoyed reading your review. I'm very proud of each and every employee at the El Dorado Casitas Royale and i will share your comments with all. There is no better reward than to receive such comments from our Exotic members, it is great to that you appreciate the efforts of our staff
If there’s anything we can do to help plan your next perfect getaway, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Best Regards
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!