“Great Holiday”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Spent a week at the El Dorado Royale Lovely resort would go back. Beaches were great and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Food very good at most of the restaurants
Accomodations were great and very convenient

Room Tip: we had a corner suite. great view of pool and easy access to the beach
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank wheelie54
Write a ReviewReviews (10,495)

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent resort! Exceeded my expectations! I would recommend this resort to anyone. I can't wait to go back. The staff was awesome and I felt so relaxed the entire trip. The only complaint is that I didn't stay longer. If you plan on going to Mexico please stay at this resort, it is worth the money!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adam M
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Naturally, my husband and I were very excited about our honeymoon, neither of us had travelled to Mexico before and we were still on a high following our wedding a few days earlier. We had read some great reviews of the hotel and of Mexico too. We had also read some warnings about a lot of sales people too but that didn't put us off.
In the first week we weren't disappointed as the Mexican people (in and out of the hotel) were lovely, honest and friendly. The hotel was great and we were treated well. The staff were fantastic and the cleaners had very high standards....in the first week. However, despite tipping whenever possible, we noticed the cleaning standard dropped quite a bit as the days passed.
We also noticed that our massive bed was giving us back and shoulder problems. We hadn't really noticed this at first, it was only into the second week that we discussed the aches and pains we both had and realised it must be the bed. We didn't complain as we didn't have many days left and didn't fancy packing all of our items and unpacking again! It wasn't ideal but we just made do. (We don't like to complain and make a fuss - more fool us!).
We noticed how the concierge staff liked to keep in communication with us which at first we thought was sweet until we received a message from one of them at the end of our first week, asking us to visit them in their office to collect a ‘gift’ they had for us! Immediately we were suspicious as we knew this was a lame attempt to lure us into the office. We couldn’t avoid them as we had to walk past their office to get to and from our room. Rather than try and avoid them for the remainder of our honeymoon, we decided to just go in and see them.
Low and behold we were given some little travel liquid things as a ‘gift’ and rapidly invited to have ‘cheaper holidays’ and to enable us to get this we would need to meet with the Exotic Club and that it would take a maximum of 90 minutes of our time. Being promised that there would be no pressure at all, we agreed to go ahead with this and booked for the meeting. Naturally we were curious. We were met by a lovely guy called Raul and low and behold this ‘opportunity’ was something similar to a timeshare but more complicated! After being shown around various rooms/suites at the resort we went back to their office. All chauffeured around on the buggies of course!
Shortly after sitting down at a little desk, Raul began talking figures and details. We stupidly wanted to find out the details and how this scheme worked – believing the FAKE promise that we wouldn’t be bullied into anything. We were so very wrong. A jumped up English salesman, Lester Brownbridge came to speak to us (rather talk down to us). We were really unhappy with the way that we were treated by Lester Brownbridge for the following reasons: The presentation ended up taking 3 hours – NOT 90 minutes as previously promised! We felt like prisoners and were told by Lester that we couldn't go away to discuss joining the Exotic club despite it costing us thousands of pounds! If we wanted it we had to sign and pay for it then and there!
Despite us saying that we were hungry and thirsty, he actually told us that we could think about it for just 5 minutes to have a cigarette. He seemed to be bullying Raul his co-worker and made him look very small. Lester kept asking us lots of personal questions about out our finances and advising us to apply government unemployment benefits that we could we receive in the UK, he was even asking what we received as wedding presents (gifted money?) as we were on honeymoon and he asked what credit cards we were carrying. Whenever we tried to ask questions he seemed to brush them off. Generally he was very rude (he even swore a number of times), we felt very bullied and intimidated by him. He purposely set out to make us feel inadequate. This horrible experience has left a very bad taste in our mouths to think that the hotel would be working alongside such people. This ruined the last week of our holiday and to be honest, I just wanted to go home as EVERYTHING felt like a dirty sales tactic.
We made a verbal and written complaint to the hotel. Someone spoke to us, barely apologised but wiped off our $80 room service bill. That was it. Despite receiving promises that I would receive a proper written response, I haven’t heard anything from the hotel or from El Dorado Royale.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Holly Louise H
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed in the El Dorado Royale last week and it was awesome. The food is AMAZING. All the staff that I encountered were extremely friendly and helpful. I feel I got exactly what I paid for. I was treated like royalty and the attention to detail and ensuring that my stay was pleasant did not go unnoticed. I highly recommend this resort and I will be staying there again! We booked out travel with Mindy Sly at Beach Bum Vacation and I love their work. Mindy sent out places to visit, things to remember, and even worked out deals to accommodate my large group (10 ppl total). Worth every penny!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
17  Thank 2mekab
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Hi My Husband and I have recently returned from the Eldorado Royale our first trip was great this trip was fabulous why you may ask well this trip finds me a little disabled which meant not everything was easy to access No problem from Karla in the Cocotal at breakfast who was cheerful and didn't seat me at a table on the farthest side of the room to my treasure concierge Danny Dominguez he made my trip nothing was to much trouble and when I told him that I was unable to manage the stairs to the Santa Fe he said leave it with me .. He arranged for me to have the menu in the Italian restaurant next door now that's going the extra mile and so I didn't feel left out because of my disability the staff are friendly and helpful. I shouldn't have but I did embibe a little and the drinks certainly had the required kick , Evenings in the Martina bar listening music and having a chat for me very relaxing and they sure no how to mix the cocktails. During the day we spent our time at the Tucan pool where Vincente mixed some heady mixtures tasty to
The use of the golf carts were a god send and Nino was around to assist as well as Danny corona in the evenings great people. Taking on board there are always hiccups in life
ask for help and it will get sorted. So drink up enjoy the food and party its your vacation
This is a great hotel and Im frantically counting my pennies as I want to go back .

Room Tip: if you have any mobility problems block11 is more central the room was on quitter side
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crissycoppernob
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were recommended this hotel and were told 'if you don't like it, you don't deserve to go there'. Couldn't be truer. The grounds were beautifully maintained, a delight to see so much wildlife/birdlife from lizards/iguanas/newts to a humming bird and pelicans.

The food was all gourmet dining. We opted to have a good buffet breakfast, enjoyed lunch at the beach bars then found the gourmet meals in the evening were sufficient. Enjoyed the water infusions. The selection of drinks was amazing.

If I was being picky, I'd say the entertainment was slightly lacking in quality compared to other places. The same warm up band/singer twice in one week, sing the same songs. The compares used the same tired repartee every evening e.g. 'what happens in Mexico, stays on Facebook'. Funny once but every evening??

The Sensi Mar beach bar was our favourite and the barista Carlos and waiter Hever were very friendly and really looked after us.

Overall the best holiday we've had and we would find it hard to find a better hotel/resort. Thank you.

Seperate note, we went with Thompsons Platininum which advertises 30 minute transfer time and minimum pick ups/drop offs: on the way, just one drop off, 45mins transfer time. On the way back to the airport, at least 4 pick ups and and an hours journey. We specifically book Platinum as we don't want to be on a coach more than 30 mins. This was the only disappointment and have been mislead.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gemmadogsmum
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Staff, Servce, Facilities, food and rooms all absoulotly perfect. Went as a wedding group and was blown away. Truly truly brilliant. Not far from Airport and Play Del Carmen or Cancun. This place is ace

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sean G
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear travelling friends form United Kingdom

We have had a great pleasure reading your detailed review.
Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services. Looking forward to receive you, once again, at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma for another memorable vacation,

Beat Müller

3 mi away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!