“Our sixth visit!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Yukon, OK
“Our sixth visit!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked this trip through Beach Bum Vacations with Nanda van Zwam and will definately use them again! This was our sixth visit, so we have to like the El Dorado! The good and the bad of this trip-
We had the worst concierge service of all our trips-Fern (room 404, swim-up room). Once he knew we were not interested in the time share tour, he was no longer interested in helping us. We had the Anniversary Package and are Welcome Back members. We did get free internet and a bottle of wine for our anniversary (we asked for them ) but the Welcome Back was never mentioned.

I think drinks were better this trip with great premium brands. Jo Jo's has cut food costs-smaller portions and no cerviche bar with chips and guacamole anymore. We weren't all that impressed with Sante Fe-lots of food but main entres weren't overly impressive. Lots of empty seats but hard to get a reservation. Liked Rinco for lunch, not so much for dinner. Listed as open for breakfast, but never was. Both Italians were good, but the original one was our favorite. Nice size portions and great service-Armin was our favorite. As always, Kampai was our favorite restauramt!

We thought the beach was rockier this year. Bring beach shoes.

21 Thank Alan W
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear valued member
Thank you for your wonderful review and kind words, I enjoyed reading your review. I'm very proud of each and every employee at the El Dorado Royale and i will share your comments with everyone. There is no better reward than to receive such comments from our Exotic members; it is great to that you appreciate the efforts of our staff.
On the other hand we truly regret your negative experience with the concierge and we are very sorry to read that we were not able fulfill your expectations in this area. I will pass on your comments to our Chief concierge and her assistant in order to re-enforce this area of opportunity.

If there’s anything we can do to help plan your next perfect getaway, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,604)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Essex, England
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here two years ago and was lucky to return!
The food, drinks and cocktails are gorgeous throughout the resort and there is a great choice of restaurants for everyone. I especially loved the way they've done Fuentes since they have refurbished it, you get to watch the chef prepare each meal before you eat it. Great entertainment and experience with matching wines if you choose to have them. The staff in here are brilliant! You have to book Fuentes and Santa Fe in advance with your concierge but it's well worth it! Only people who use the casitas get to book restaurants which is such a shame as some restaurants get very busy anyway. Some nights we had to wait over an hour for a table but generally we were ok. We always aimed for a 7pm dinner.
The pre entertainment bands are brilliant, it's a shame they don't get longer sets. The entertainment otherwise is ok, but it is the same stuff on the same days every week which is a shame.
The activities throughout the day are brilliant if you want to get involved. There isn't any pressure from the kteam to do anything you don't want to but I think there is definitely something for everyone. I especially enjoyed the bike ride which gives you a tour around the complex and to see the crocodiles and ranch, the archery and water aerobics. They used to do rifle shooting before and I really hope they manage to find an area around the complex that they can bring this back to.
I spent most of my time on the beach and in the sea, it's such a relaxing area and there are a lot of fish in the shallow area as you get in.
I also went paragliding with my mum which I booked with vacautics. The men who took us out on the boat were very grumpy and one in particular was very rude after I politely declined his offer of a memory stick full of photos of us on the parasail just as I arrived onto the speed boat. It was $30 extra but we had people on the beach taking photos anyway. He also must have noticed I only had myself in a bikini so didn't bring a tip out with me before getting on the jet ski to do a water sport. I don't think water and money mix, plus there is a tip box back where the vacautics centre is. The actual parasail was great, we saw so many sea turtles and the view was brilliant. We didn't get dunked very much but I think this is because we didn't tip them prior to going up. After he rudely told us to sit down and take our harnesses off he then had a cheek to tell us we could tip them for good service if we wanted to and they would like that. The man on the jetski was happy and friendly at least.
The hotel take great pride in what they do for the environment and so they should. The complex is massive, beautiful and extremely well maintained. The rooms are gorgeous and very clean, the beds are very comfortable and air con is great too. The only down sides were our coffee never got refilled throughout the whole two weeks even though we asked for it to be, we only got the turn down service 2 nights and on another 1 bed was turned down and all of the cushions were put on the other. There was also a towel lady who came in to swap the towels after we'd showered, unfortunately she'd walked through the wet shower and left dirty shoe prints all over our floor. She must have noticed before she'd left but nothing was done about it until the cleaner returned the following morning.
The majority of waiters and bar staff give brilliant service, however, in the cocotail for breakfast and at the bars throughout the day and nearer the end of the holiday, there seems to be a culture of 'show a tip first if you want good service'. Having paid for the hotel and flights from the UK I think we deserve good service regardless, though it was interesting to watch how uninterested some of the bar staff were in serving me water but jumped at the chance of serving a man holding 5 dollars out. He would have literally walked on hot coals for him. I always tip anyone who gives me good service though this usually a bigger tip at the end of the day.
I might come back in the future but I do hope service attitudes have changed by that point.

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank H_Devine
Dear friends from England,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Let me express gratitude for your taking the time to write about your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma and for the five star rating as well.

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations regarding the service during your stay with us. So we want to apologize for the inconveniences that you have encountered with the tipping and the maid service.
I have read all your comments, and certainly we are taking seriously your feedback and I see possibilities to improve so we are already working on them.
As for the service of V acuatics our outside provider for tours an excursion we will make sure your comments reach there management team.
I am glad to read that even though you encountered yourself with some issues at the end of your stay there were still aspects of your holiday that you were able to enjoy.
In gratitude, thanks once more for your comments. Be assured that your feedback is valued and important.

Yours sincerely,
Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was the 4th stay for my husband and myself. We went with 6 other friends for their frist stay. We are members at the resort and love it so much we haven't even tried any of the other properties. This was our first stay in the Sapphire swim up suites and oh so wonderful. It was awesome for a group so we couple all hangout in the swimups after dinner on the nights we opted not to do something else. Our butlers Arturo and Rudy attended to our every request...ice, beverage selections, snacks, and the favorite by everyone in our group...the night of our beach dinners we came back to our room to find candles, a bubble baths with rose petals, and nightcaps. A very special treat!
I am a foodie and LOVE the food at the resort. We always make reservations in advance or the first day we arrive to get the options we want. We enjoy Feuntes (the dinner theatre) my husband I I both perferred Tour of Europe over the Mexican night. We love D'Italia. And this trip we Sante Fe for the first time and loved it. It's family style and since we had 8 people the waitor just offered to bring us a sampling of all the appetizers and entrees so everyone got a taste. We each had desserts of our choice and were not willing to share!
The entertainment is good...we enjoyed Michael Jackson and the fire shows this year. In Nov saw the Circus show and thought it was good as well.

1 Thank abnkb
Dear New Memeber
First, thank you very much for your recent visit and lovely comments on TripAdvisor, highlighting our facilities, services and most of all our staff, the professionalism and kindness you have received.
Second we are so glad to have you as part of the Exotic family, we are very aware that thanks to the staff is that we have a large number of loyal and valuable guests and members that return year upon year and every time we do everything possible to ensure that we surpass their expectations no matter if it is the first or tenth stay.

We are excited to welcome you back as a member in your El Dorado Casitas Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, Your Mexican Home in the Riviera Maya.

Warmest regards.
California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a long review but if you are already contemplating at booking this resort, you should read on.

Booked our stay for this resort at Costco. Definitely a great value for the amount we paid for though we're not sure if we will ever pay the regular rate. This is a big resort and best to book maybe at least a luxury junior suite so you're placed in the middle of the resort (which is where we were: building 7) or ask to be placed near the middle of the resort if you want easy access to the big pool and most of the resort activities. There's ample golf carts that go around if you don't want to walk but you will feel the need to tip for every time you ride them. Bikes are also available for usage but you need to return them everyday by 5PM.

This resort has a lot of swimming pools with swim-up bars and there are even rooms that leads straight to a pool. Try to book a swim-up room if you particularly like swimming pools. They had a lot of spa services available that we were not able to take advantage of due to our timeline but we did try various restaurants. I will rate them separately but for a summary, we liked the Cocotal buffet breakfast, La Cabana Pizzeria, Jojo's and also dinner at Cocotal though service can be very slow at Cocotal for dinner during low-season (June-November). Good thing the food was terrific so our wait time was pacified but we literally saw people leaving in between courses. We didn't get to try the resturants that needed reservations prior to dining since they were fully booked. I think it was the Santa Fe Grill and the Fuentes Culinary. Make reservations the very first thing if you want to be accommodated. There is also dining attire so be prepared to pack more than your flip-flops.

All rooms have a jacuzzi which we got to use though there are some jets that are not working anymore. Nevertheless it was a great perk and you can watch TV through the glass partition. We had a luxury junior suite room which is definitely spacious enough for us and the added balcony is great but it seems that the balcony doesn't get cleaned all the time in between stays. Also, you might see some chipped tiles on the bathroom counter or backsplash but it's not that noticeable. Altogether, we liked the room enough and feel luxurious staying there.

The personal concierge is great but do know that an offer of a timeshare presentation is expected. We might have taken the offer just to get the free stuff if we had more time but do avoid it if you can't say no to getting the timeshare. The personal concierge did help us alleviate the bed issue for my husband who felt the bed was too soft so my husband requested different set of pillows that he can put under his back. They have a variety and the personal concierge did say that they will try to accommodate any request.

Our main dislike is the front desk upon check-in. I forgot her name but it was someone on the shift around 7PM on July 1, 2014. She was talking so fast (sounded so much like a script, even though we know there are scripts for that, we do appreciate more effort if you are the first person we're talking to at check-in) and I had to interrupt her (if it was a conversation I would not need to be interrupting) to ask just a few questions. Anyway, I guess she intends to have us communicate more with our personal concierge but there wasn't even a line of people so we didn't know what the hurry was. I know we didn't look like we were hurrying. We actually met her again when we wanted to print out our boarding passes the night before our departure and she asked us to wait for the other person with the table next to her. We don't know what she was doing but she didn't look busy. The wait made us leave and thankfully she wasn't at that desk the next morning.

Another dislike is for the housekeeping. The room is kept clean everyday but we would see that they have a lot of chips for snacks and resort slippers with them and we have not seen any snacks (only beverages) nor slippers at our room. I don't know if those are just for "premium" rooms but it sort of made us feel shortchanged even if they are just snacks and slippers. We were leaving tip for housekeeping each day and we think it was enough of a tip---maybe they wanted more tip? Anyway, we thought of communicating this to our personal concierge but the timing just didn't work since we were trying to do everything we can to make the most of our stay. The personal concierge is only available until 5PM and after that, someone probably at the front desk will answer your call when calling your personal concierge.

The beach had "eco-reefs" that might look like black whales but it didn't bother us and the beach was still great to go to when it's sunny. Try to kayak if you can--we heard there were kayak tours and bike tours in the morning. Try to do the resort activities. They will give you a bottle of Tequila if you win at the pingpong tournament. Wi-fi is not free and you have to set up with your personal concierge if you need multiple devices to have wi-fi which is usually the case nowadays since everyone has a smartphone. Would have been better if it was free.

You will need a car or book tours with transportation if you plan to go out of the resort. We didn't need to go out since this was the second half of our vacation that we have dedicated to relax and make the most of the all-inclusive feature. The said they have shuttles that go to Playa del Carmen and Cancun but you have to reserve in advance.

We enjoyed our stay at the resort and most of the restaurants and we might go back if the price at Costco is still available. The only thing that will hold us back is the shortage of customer service at check-in and the housekeeping issue. If you will be staying here, make sure you bring enough cash for tips as you will be tipping your whole stay from housekeeping, to dining, to any service you receive which is fair as long as you are being served well. The front desk offers currency exchange or breaking big bills.

Room Tip: Swim-up room if you can afford it and if you want to do most of the resort activities, request a roo...
7 Thank Leigh C
DearLeigh C
Thank you for your fantastic review ,
it is very special when receive such comments like yours, we do our utmost to ensure we go above and beyond for each and everyone one of our guests. I have passed your feedback to our staff. I am so glad that you enjoyed our beach

As well i would like to appologize for the unpleasing beginging of your holidays with us. I am sure that we can retrain and evaluate our staff in order to improve the service, so we grately appreciate your comments.Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services.We look forward to welcoming you again.

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I went to El Dorado Royale for some couple time last week. It exceeded my expectations. My expectations were not that high after reading some of the negative reviews here, but I didn't find much to complain about.
Pros-
1. Availability of chairs on the beach. We never had a problem finding a lovely place to spend the day on the beach. We only went to the pool a couple of times and it was in the afternoon so chairs were plentiful. Loved the Bali beds and never had trouble getting one.
2. Service was nice. It is a large resort but staff did a great job of making you feel welcome.
3. Rooms are big and nice. We had a Royal suite on the third floor and it was nice. We don't spend much time in our room, but it was nicely appointed.
4. This place is CLEAN. I can't believe how clean the public restrooms are at this resort even those by the pools.
5. Food choices. There are a lot of choices for food and most of the food is good. It isn't five-star gourmet restaurant quality, but for the price we paid I didn't expect that.
Cons-
1. It is a large resort with lots of variety in the guests. There were the occasional drunk parties loud enough at the pool to distract from the serenity. The good news is they usually drank themselves quiet by the afternoon. This really isn't anything the resort can control. They have a nice dress code to try and keep the environment "classy" but we still saw people trying to eat dinner in flip-flops and t-shirts. I like the dress code and wish it was enforced and accepted a little more readily.

Parting thoughts- I really liked this resort. It was a pleasure and we will be back. I didn't find the resort too large and we walked everywhere. We loved the "couple" feel to the resort. We enjoyed the beach and found it easy to negotiate swimming. I don't mind the whales as they are a conservation move and it is like wind farms and solar panels. We almost didn't go to Fuentes based on reviews here, but we did and it was awesome. So much fun and a highlight of the trip. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this resort.

1 Thank Jen S
Dear Jen S,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay here at El Dorado Royale. It was terrific to read that you felt it we are an amazing property and truly appreciated the constructive feedback.

Our resort is Gourmet all inclusive and our main goal is to provide a romantic atmosphere along with exceptional gourmet food and drinks. Like you mentioned, the reason for the dress code in the evening is to provide the feeling of spending every evening as a special night out to dine with your loved one.

The dress code is something that we will definitely be improving, so thank you very much for your kind words.
Thank you for your recommendations and we do hope that you could visit us once again in the near future.

best regards
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I just returned from another wonderful stay at the El Dorado Royale. This resort continues to improve every time I visit. The service, food and staff are incredible. I have stayed at many resorts in Mexico and this is definitely a favorite. The evening shows are above and beyond any other resort. Daniel, with the entertainment staff kept everyone involved and informed of activities. He made everyone feel welcome to join. Also, Joseph and Diego also provided wonderful service and they all seem to truly care about their guests. I will be returning to the El Dorado and also recommending this resort to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank AllPts
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Valued repeating guest,
It is with great honour that we acknowledge your gratitude’s with this post.
I am sure that Daniel will also feel very proud that you were so kind to mention him and the rest of the team. Thank you as well for your recommendations we will be more than glad to receive any family or friend that you recommend.

Hope you could keep returning to visit us.
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Hugh resort. We stayed in the casitas highly recommend. The staff is fantastic. They have golf cart cabs so to speak that pick you up and deliver you on the resort. The service is top notch. The pools are salt water, the ocean and beaches are good. Most restaurants on site require reservations but easy enough to do go thru your concierge. Very safe. We had private transfers made thru Berwick Travel/ Kellie which was the only way to go !
If your not booked by now your missing out. Go

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank cgreen1902
Dear friends form Texas,
First, thank you very much for your recent visit and lovely comments on TripAdvisor, I am glad to read that you enjoyed the pools facilities and restaurants in general.
Thank you for your kind word promoting our resort, it is definitely appreciated.
We do hope you may have another opportunity to return with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!