“Wonderful one year anniversary trip!”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful one year anniversary trip!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We choose El Dorado Royale as a recommendation from our travel agent, Nanda with Beach Bum Vacations, for our one year anniversary. It was amazing and we are so glad to go with her recommendation.

Food was absolutely amazing! Downside we found was that 2 of the restaurants only took reservations. We ended up not eating at one of the restaurants because we could only get a reservation our last night at 9.

Room was very nice and clean. The maid service did a wonderful job keeping our floors clean even with all the sand we brought in.

The property is huge, so there is a lot of walking from place to place. Not very many outside showers to clean off from the beach. We had to walk to the pool to shower off. The pools were great, and so were the drinks!

I highly recommend this resort and would definitely go back many times in the future.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms, aren't really beachfront. There are a lot of palm trees blocking the view, we...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Meghan J
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Meghan J,
Thank you for your review, detailing your experiences from your stay with us, firstly please accepts our apologies for the areas that we fell short of expectations. I never like to hear that any guest has been disappointed with their stay and I have noted the aspects of the dinner reservation affected your stay, for this please accept our apologize.

Your feedback has been carefully considered and I will be sure to take the necessary action to ensure that the El Dorado Royale maintains one of the most sought after resorts within the Riviera Maya and Mexico

best regards
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,549)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
SEABROOK
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Have had several visits to Karisma hotels but this was our first visit to ED Royale. Stayed in the Casitas section with a infinity pool. Section 32 had the best beach butler - Javier Mex! He met us every morning with a smile & our Mojito's. He also kept us supplied with little special snacks through out the day. Our favorite dinner was at Fuentes with a 5 course dinner & wine pairings! Also loved the Italian restuarant and Santa Fe. This is a large resort but the service is terrific from check-in to check-out.

Room Tip: Each Casita section has their own pool and bar. Casita area's are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DAVID C
Dear David C

We have had a great pleasure reading your detailed review.
Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff.
Your comments are a very good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ full satisfaction.
Looking forward to receive you, once again, at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma for another memorable vacation,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My fiancé and I went stayed at El Dorado for 4 days, 3 nights last month. We booked this trip through Vacation Express using a Groupon which helped us accept some of the pitfalls of this resort. Most of my frustration with this trip was actually the logistics (Cancun airport, 2 hr customs, airport transfer), but I'll leave that out of this review and focus solely on EDR.

Check-in
We arrived late in the day so check in was actually a breeze. We didn't have to wait at all and the whole process took less than 5 min. We did sit and wait in the lobby for a bit while they loaded our bags on the buggy to be taken to our room but that was about it. After a long day of travel, we didn't mind. The lobby was cool and pristine. Smelled lovely and they had delicious drinks on a table for you to sip on while waiting. We were very impressed.

The room
After a few minutes, our buggy was ready to go and we were off to our building. In hindsight, we were actually not that far from the main lobby, but it was nice to be escorted after a hectic travel day. We booked a Jacuzzi Junior Suite and ended up in Bldg 44. The good part was it was central(ish) to the resort. We were somewhat tucked away and it was nice to have access to the lazy river beneath us. The bad part was that we were on an upper floor and there are no elevators. Since we were only staying for 3 nights and our expectations were so low since we booked with a Groupon, we were okay with the location. Our view was basically just tress but since we were high enough we could see above the trees and beyond to the sky and even some water.
The room itself was gorgeous. We were highly impressed with the room. Good size, very clean, air condition worked great, towel animal on the bed... the whole works. The hammock for the balcony was a nice touch. The openness of the bathroom didn't bother us until the morning when we discovered the morning sun will light up the whole room through the water closet. And there is nothing you can do about it (yes, we even threw a towel up). After that little discovery, I wish the bathroom was closed off from the rest of the room. It was a letdown that you could get the room so dark with the curtains but have the morning sun blaze through the open concept suite.
Room service missed restocking our fridge one day which we were not happy about. A $5 típ and a note fixed that but just in time for our departure which was pointless. Room service wouldn't bring alcohol up either.

The pool
Never used it so couldn't tell you. We aren't pool people when we go to a Caribbean resort and the one day we tried, we got there late in the day and every Bali bed and lounger was reserved. No love loss there. I heard it was bath water warm and we were really only interested in the swim up bar anyway which had slow service.

The beach
Where we spent our two full days. All day, each day. We are definitely beach people and this beach wasn't the nicest from a visual standpoint, but it was perfect for getting in and cooling off. The water was clear to the bottom, the sand relatively settle so as not to cloud up the water and the temperature was just right. Yes, the sand bags are unsightly but you really only mind if you spend the entire day looking at the beach and not getting in it. Once in, there is plenty of swimmable space before you reach the sandbags that they don't even bother you. We lazed on both sides of the beach - the side with the open top cabanas and the other with the thatched roof umbrellas. The cabanas side had the better swimming areas by far (less rocks and sandbags lined up in more neatly) but the cabanas provided ZERO shade. You will end your day burnt and drunk, no matter how many trips into the water you make. Drink service was slow on the beach but it was one guy and we sort of expected it. We just brought our own insulated cups and made trips to the bar ourselves in between waiting for the bartender to return with our drinks. Definitely helped us not notice how slow the service was.
The other side of the beach had better shade (if you were lucky enough to find one) but the beach was far rockier. The sandbags were a little more scattered and my fiancé stepped on a stingray. If you swam a little closer to the main pier, it was better for swimming. Beach service wasn't improved on this end by any means so when choosing a side to relax, don't let that be a factor.

I've been to several all-inclusive resorts and overall, I would say this is some of better food I've had. Now don't come to these types of places expecting 5 star cuisine (it's not that great) but it is better than average. Given our short stay and not staying in the casitas, we did not get to experience most of the restaurants. We flat out could not get into Fuentes or Santa Fe grill. We arrived late Thursday evening and they were booked straight through Monday night (we left Sunday morning). Our first night we ate at Rincon, second night room service, and last night D'Italia on the Villas side). Out of those 3, Rincon was hands down our favorite and D'Italia was the least. We ate at Cocotal every morning for breakfast and lunch was either Jojo's (I didn't like my dish, fiancé did) or the Pizza place (quite delicious). I was surprised by the food. I usually go to these places with a "eat to live" not "live to eat" kind of mentality and at most meals, I finished my plate. Portion sizes are smaller than most Americans are used to but how is that a bad thing? I, for one, liked not being so full that I felt uncomfortable in a bikini after eating.

Concierge service
We stopped by our concierge once. He was able to book is a reservation although we weren't staying in the casitas because it was a special occasion. We didn't book any excursions or anything but I feel like he would have been an asset there too. We liked that all room categories had this service because it helped us feel a little less like low class citizens ;).

Nightlife
We are night owls so we are usually more about the nighttime entertainment than rising up at the crack of dawn to reserve a lounge chair. That being said, entertainment was mediocre at best. We actually preferred when the DJ just played music rather than the staff trying to put on a cheesy show. I couldn't even tell you what we watched because we didn't pay attention. One night we walked over to the bar by the main pool and had hookah on the pier which was relaxing but overall, this resort shuts down by midnight so if you're a night owl (not necessarily a party animal), this resort isn't for you.

Check out
Flat out a pain. We did express checkout which was pointless because we still had to wait 30 min in line to return our safe key. Wouldn't have been such an issue if our ride wasn't outside waiting. And they won't let you leave without a check out ticket so you have no choice but to wait. That was a disappointment on an otherwise good weekend.

Overall, this resort was nice but a tad too big for my taste. Especially since we weren't there long. I don't think we covered 10% of what this resort had to offer. It felt overwhelming at times. I think I would try another resort in this area before returning to EDR.

3 Thank KS1019
Yukon, OK
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked this trip through Beach Bum Vacations with Nanda van Zwam and will definately use them again! This was our sixth visit, so we have to like the El Dorado! The good and the bad of this trip-
We had the worst concierge service of all our trips-Fern (room 404, swim-up room). Once he knew we were not interested in the time share tour, he was no longer interested in helping us. We had the Anniversary Package and are Welcome Back members. We did get free internet and a bottle of wine for our anniversary (we asked for them ) but the Welcome Back was never mentioned.

I think drinks were better this trip with great premium brands. Jo Jo's has cut food costs-smaller portions and no cerviche bar with chips and guacamole anymore. We weren't all that impressed with Sante Fe-lots of food but main entres weren't overly impressive. Lots of empty seats but hard to get a reservation. Liked Rinco for lunch, not so much for dinner. Listed as open for breakfast, but never was. Both Italians were good, but the original one was our favorite. Nice size portions and great service-Armin was our favorite. As always, Kampai was our favorite restauramt!

We thought the beach was rockier this year. Bring beach shoes.

21 Thank Alan W
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear valued member
Thank you for your wonderful review and kind words, I enjoyed reading your review. I'm very proud of each and every employee at the El Dorado Royale and i will share your comments with everyone. There is no better reward than to receive such comments from our Exotic members; it is great to that you appreciate the efforts of our staff.
On the other hand we truly regret your negative experience with the concierge and we are very sorry to read that we were not able fulfill your expectations in this area. I will pass on your comments to our Chief concierge and her assistant in order to re-enforce this area of opportunity.

If there’s anything we can do to help plan your next perfect getaway, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely
Essex, England
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here two years ago and was lucky to return!
The food, drinks and cocktails are gorgeous throughout the resort and there is a great choice of restaurants for everyone. I especially loved the way they've done Fuentes since they have refurbished it, you get to watch the chef prepare each meal before you eat it. Great entertainment and experience with matching wines if you choose to have them. The staff in here are brilliant! You have to book Fuentes and Santa Fe in advance with your concierge but it's well worth it! Only people who use the casitas get to book restaurants which is such a shame as some restaurants get very busy anyway. Some nights we had to wait over an hour for a table but generally we were ok. We always aimed for a 7pm dinner.
The pre entertainment bands are brilliant, it's a shame they don't get longer sets. The entertainment otherwise is ok, but it is the same stuff on the same days every week which is a shame.
The activities throughout the day are brilliant if you want to get involved. There isn't any pressure from the kteam to do anything you don't want to but I think there is definitely something for everyone. I especially enjoyed the bike ride which gives you a tour around the complex and to see the crocodiles and ranch, the archery and water aerobics. They used to do rifle shooting before and I really hope they manage to find an area around the complex that they can bring this back to.
I spent most of my time on the beach and in the sea, it's such a relaxing area and there are a lot of fish in the shallow area as you get in.
I also went paragliding with my mum which I booked with vacautics. The men who took us out on the boat were very grumpy and one in particular was very rude after I politely declined his offer of a memory stick full of photos of us on the parasail just as I arrived onto the speed boat. It was $30 extra but we had people on the beach taking photos anyway. He also must have noticed I only had myself in a bikini so didn't bring a tip out with me before getting on the jet ski to do a water sport. I don't think water and money mix, plus there is a tip box back where the vacautics centre is. The actual parasail was great, we saw so many sea turtles and the view was brilliant. We didn't get dunked very much but I think this is because we didn't tip them prior to going up. After he rudely told us to sit down and take our harnesses off he then had a cheek to tell us we could tip them for good service if we wanted to and they would like that. The man on the jetski was happy and friendly at least.
The hotel take great pride in what they do for the environment and so they should. The complex is massive, beautiful and extremely well maintained. The rooms are gorgeous and very clean, the beds are very comfortable and air con is great too. The only down sides were our coffee never got refilled throughout the whole two weeks even though we asked for it to be, we only got the turn down service 2 nights and on another 1 bed was turned down and all of the cushions were put on the other. There was also a towel lady who came in to swap the towels after we'd showered, unfortunately she'd walked through the wet shower and left dirty shoe prints all over our floor. She must have noticed before she'd left but nothing was done about it until the cleaner returned the following morning.
The majority of waiters and bar staff give brilliant service, however, in the cocotail for breakfast and at the bars throughout the day and nearer the end of the holiday, there seems to be a culture of 'show a tip first if you want good service'. Having paid for the hotel and flights from the UK I think we deserve good service regardless, though it was interesting to watch how uninterested some of the bar staff were in serving me water but jumped at the chance of serving a man holding 5 dollars out. He would have literally walked on hot coals for him. I always tip anyone who gives me good service though this usually a bigger tip at the end of the day.
I might come back in the future but I do hope service attitudes have changed by that point.

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank H_Devine
Dear friends from England,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Let me express gratitude for your taking the time to write about your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma and for the five star rating as well.

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations regarding the service during your stay with us. So we want to apologize for the inconveniences that you have encountered with the tipping and the maid service.
I have read all your comments, and certainly we are taking seriously your feedback and I see possibilities to improve so we are already working on them.
As for the service of V acuatics our outside provider for tours an excursion we will make sure your comments reach there management team.
I am glad to read that even though you encountered yourself with some issues at the end of your stay there were still aspects of your holiday that you were able to enjoy.
In gratitude, thanks once more for your comments. Be assured that your feedback is valued and important.

Yours sincerely,
Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was the 4th stay for my husband and myself. We went with 6 other friends for their frist stay. We are members at the resort and love it so much we haven't even tried any of the other properties. This was our first stay in the Sapphire swim up suites and oh so wonderful. It was awesome for a group so we couple all hangout in the swimups after dinner on the nights we opted not to do something else. Our butlers Arturo and Rudy attended to our every request...ice, beverage selections, snacks, and the favorite by everyone in our group...the night of our beach dinners we came back to our room to find candles, a bubble baths with rose petals, and nightcaps. A very special treat!
I am a foodie and LOVE the food at the resort. We always make reservations in advance or the first day we arrive to get the options we want. We enjoy Feuntes (the dinner theatre) my husband I I both perferred Tour of Europe over the Mexican night. We love D'Italia. And this trip we Sante Fe for the first time and loved it. It's family style and since we had 8 people the waitor just offered to bring us a sampling of all the appetizers and entrees so everyone got a taste. We each had desserts of our choice and were not willing to share!
The entertainment is good...we enjoyed Michael Jackson and the fire shows this year. In Nov saw the Circus show and thought it was good as well.

1 Thank abnkb
Dear New Memeber
First, thank you very much for your recent visit and lovely comments on TripAdvisor, highlighting our facilities, services and most of all our staff, the professionalism and kindness you have received.
Second we are so glad to have you as part of the Exotic family, we are very aware that thanks to the staff is that we have a large number of loyal and valuable guests and members that return year upon year and every time we do everything possible to ensure that we surpass their expectations no matter if it is the first or tenth stay.

We are excited to welcome you back as a member in your El Dorado Casitas Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, Your Mexican Home in the Riviera Maya.

Warmest regards.
California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a long review but if you are already contemplating at booking this resort, you should read on.

Booked our stay for this resort at Costco. Definitely a great value for the amount we paid for though we're not sure if we will ever pay the regular rate. This is a big resort and best to book maybe at least a luxury junior suite so you're placed in the middle of the resort (which is where we were: building 7) or ask to be placed near the middle of the resort if you want easy access to the big pool and most of the resort activities. There's ample golf carts that go around if you don't want to walk but you will feel the need to tip for every time you ride them. Bikes are also available for usage but you need to return them everyday by 5PM.

This resort has a lot of swimming pools with swim-up bars and there are even rooms that leads straight to a pool. Try to book a swim-up room if you particularly like swimming pools. They had a lot of spa services available that we were not able to take advantage of due to our timeline but we did try various restaurants. I will rate them separately but for a summary, we liked the Cocotal buffet breakfast, La Cabana Pizzeria, Jojo's and also dinner at Cocotal though service can be very slow at Cocotal for dinner during low-season (June-November). Good thing the food was terrific so our wait time was pacified but we literally saw people leaving in between courses. We didn't get to try the resturants that needed reservations prior to dining since they were fully booked. I think it was the Santa Fe Grill and the Fuentes Culinary. Make reservations the very first thing if you want to be accommodated. There is also dining attire so be prepared to pack more than your flip-flops.

All rooms have a jacuzzi which we got to use though there are some jets that are not working anymore. Nevertheless it was a great perk and you can watch TV through the glass partition. We had a luxury junior suite room which is definitely spacious enough for us and the added balcony is great but it seems that the balcony doesn't get cleaned all the time in between stays. Also, you might see some chipped tiles on the bathroom counter or backsplash but it's not that noticeable. Altogether, we liked the room enough and feel luxurious staying there.

The personal concierge is great but do know that an offer of a timeshare presentation is expected. We might have taken the offer just to get the free stuff if we had more time but do avoid it if you can't say no to getting the timeshare. The personal concierge did help us alleviate the bed issue for my husband who felt the bed was too soft so my husband requested different set of pillows that he can put under his back. They have a variety and the personal concierge did say that they will try to accommodate any request.

Our main dislike is the front desk upon check-in. I forgot her name but it was someone on the shift around 7PM on July 1, 2014. She was talking so fast (sounded so much like a script, even though we know there are scripts for that, we do appreciate more effort if you are the first person we're talking to at check-in) and I had to interrupt her (if it was a conversation I would not need to be interrupting) to ask just a few questions. Anyway, I guess she intends to have us communicate more with our personal concierge but there wasn't even a line of people so we didn't know what the hurry was. I know we didn't look like we were hurrying. We actually met her again when we wanted to print out our boarding passes the night before our departure and she asked us to wait for the other person with the table next to her. We don't know what she was doing but she didn't look busy. The wait made us leave and thankfully she wasn't at that desk the next morning.

Another dislike is for the housekeeping. The room is kept clean everyday but we would see that they have a lot of chips for snacks and resort slippers with them and we have not seen any snacks (only beverages) nor slippers at our room. I don't know if those are just for "premium" rooms but it sort of made us feel shortchanged even if they are just snacks and slippers. We were leaving tip for housekeeping each day and we think it was enough of a tip---maybe they wanted more tip? Anyway, we thought of communicating this to our personal concierge but the timing just didn't work since we were trying to do everything we can to make the most of our stay. The personal concierge is only available until 5PM and after that, someone probably at the front desk will answer your call when calling your personal concierge.

The beach had "eco-reefs" that might look like black whales but it didn't bother us and the beach was still great to go to when it's sunny. Try to kayak if you can--we heard there were kayak tours and bike tours in the morning. Try to do the resort activities. They will give you a bottle of Tequila if you win at the pingpong tournament. Wi-fi is not free and you have to set up with your personal concierge if you need multiple devices to have wi-fi which is usually the case nowadays since everyone has a smartphone. Would have been better if it was free.

You will need a car or book tours with transportation if you plan to go out of the resort. We didn't need to go out since this was the second half of our vacation that we have dedicated to relax and make the most of the all-inclusive feature. The said they have shuttles that go to Playa del Carmen and Cancun but you have to reserve in advance.

We enjoyed our stay at the resort and most of the restaurants and we might go back if the price at Costco is still available. The only thing that will hold us back is the shortage of customer service at check-in and the housekeeping issue. If you will be staying here, make sure you bring enough cash for tips as you will be tipping your whole stay from housekeeping, to dining, to any service you receive which is fair as long as you are being served well. The front desk offers currency exchange or breaking big bills.

Room Tip: Swim-up room if you can afford it and if you want to do most of the resort activities, request a roo...
7 Thank Leigh C
DearLeigh C
Thank you for your fantastic review ,
it is very special when receive such comments like yours, we do our utmost to ensure we go above and beyond for each and everyone one of our guests. I have passed your feedback to our staff. I am so glad that you enjoyed our beach

As well i would like to appologize for the unpleasing beginging of your holidays with us. I am sure that we can retrain and evaluate our staff in order to improve the service, so we grately appreciate your comments.Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services.We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!