“Best Holiday EVER!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
croydon
“Best Holiday EVER!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I must stay this was the best holiday ever!!

Me and my partner stayed in the El Dorado Royale in July for 10 days. Booked with Thomson and flew on the new Dreamliner, nice flight with extra leg room seats. Transfer from airport was quick as El Dorado was first drop off.

On arrival we had a welcome champagne and cocktail and a nice cold damp flannel. Check in was fast and we was taken to our room within 20 minutes.

Room was a Jucuzzi Swim up suite in the Sensi Mar section (room 5208) swim up room which connected to two pools..the quiet Sensi Mar pool and a main activity pool, excellent location we had the sun from sunrise until about 3pm.
Clean Spacious room, mini bar stocked every day, decent hairdryer and Revlon/No.7 magnifying light mirror (excellent if you where make up as the lighting in rooms is not the brightest).
Having a key for the safe is a bit outdated but it never really bothered me.

I would like to say a massive thanks to Billy, Danny and Carlos who were our personal concierge throughout our stay, always happy to help. The rose petals and cake towel art on my birthday were lovely.

Restaraunts were all gourmet inclusive sit down and be waited on, Portions can be small but remember you can order more then 1 starter, main or dessert each. So after a couple of days we was doing just that. Every meal I ate was delicious.
We never felt we had to tip any of the waiters but the service provided was so good we tipped anyway. I did not see any waiters favour guests that were tipping I got excellent service from each bar and restaurant I went to. They do not sell wine by the glass and the bottles I thought were quite pricey for a standard white (Chardonnay/Pinot Grig) There are so many places to eat, our favourite was Jo Jos for lunch and dinner and La Cocatol for breakfast which was buffet or menu. Our favourite Bar was the Beach Bar.

The Beach was beautiful in places, and I would reccommend wearing pumps as there stones and rock as well as sand in places and yes there are sand bags to break the waves and preserve the sandy beach.. but we just snorkelled around them and loved feeding the fish bread in the morning.

The hotel and grounds are the cleanest and tidiest I have ever seen, always polite staff gardening and greeting with a friendly 'hola'. I really cannot wait to return to this hotel. It is an amazing place to stay and you really do get a 5 star service.

I would not pay much attention to the bad reviews, some people cannot be pleased and always want more. I worried myself with the bad reviews before my stay as I wanted this holiday to be special for my partner and for my 30th and I don't think I could have picked a better place to stay, met some lovely people (Kansas).

So thanks again El Dorado Royale, I hope to be back again soon. Might try a swim up at the Casitas next time though.

Room Tip: Stayed In Block 52 in the very quiet Sensi Mar section, Excellent Swim up Suite, would recommend the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank fifigrimble
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear fifigrimble,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am happy to hear that your experience with our resort was in line with our reputation for upscale and quality service, which is all a part of our unique gourmet inclusive concept. Both, our manager and executive chef have tuned-in very well with the spirit of our site and they have been heartily welcomed in our team to make this the unique Gourmet Inlusive.

On behalf of El Dorado Royale, I'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort.

All the best!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,516)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The resort is beautiful and relaxing, unfortunately the beach is slowly disappearing. The resort was not as customer friendly as I anticipated per reviews and the level of customer service was inconsistent, decreasing each day over our week stay. In general the resort staff appeared to have very little experience in accommodating large leisure groups outside of special occasions such as weddings. I was especially disappointed in the cultural competency of staff that was rude and discriminatory at times. The management staff appeared unsure of procedures but made an honest effort to accommodate us after receiving poor service on multiple occasions. Our group of 12 (6 couples) travel together yearly, either adult only or with our families. I am sure that the El Dorado Royale (Karisma Hotels and Resorts) will not receive a repeat visit from us anytime soon. When reading reviews for travel one must remember everyone will not have the same experience and many times it is based on who is the target customer for the hotel/resort. I left feeling it was not me!

9 Thank Lynette W
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just came back from our honeymoon at El Dorado Royale and couldn't have asked for a better week. The only "issue" we had was the long wait to check in upon arrival at the lobby. It turns out it was just a busy time of the day and at no other time did we need to wait at the front desk. Once our room was ready, we were driven there on a golf cart. We were already impressed yet relieved as it was a BIG resort and we were happy not to carry our suitcase all the way to our room.

RESTAURANTS:
All the restaurants had wonderful service and great food. Our favourites were D'Italia, Kampai and Jojo, although we loved all of them. For breakfast and lunch, we spent most of our time at "Spot" a hidden gem at the far west end of the resort, also called Sensimar. For dinner restaurants, portions were generally small but with one or two appetizers and a main course, we were always satisfied. The quality of the food was top notch in every restaurant. We also need to mention the Health Bar where we would regularly stop for our shakes and cookie. They also serve a great lunch. Waiting time depends on the time of day, restaurant and how busy the resort is. In the week we were there, we only waited for a table twice. If you have breakfast or lunch at Spot, you won't wait and you'll have peace and quiet.

SERVICE:
Wonderful. Everyone greeted us with a smile and we never felt like a tip was expected, although it was always very much appreciated. We would especially like to thank Victor the tennis pro for his great lessons. He spent more time than he needed to making sure we had the right technique. Also, Victoria from Entertainment always booked the tennis courts for us with a smile, provided water bottles, towels, etc. Juan at the Health Bar always looked happy to serve us which made us come back every day. Finally, Alfredo, the waiter at "Spot" restaurant always made sure we had everything we needed. The list can go on. All this to say that the service was wonderful.

ROOMS:
The room was spotless. Housekeeping came twice, once to clean the room and make the bed and a second time around dinner time to leave a chocolate, turn on music and prepare the bed for our return from dinner/entertainment. It was a nice touch.

POOLS:
There are at least four pools, all very clean and some quieter than others. Fortunately for us, our room was next to the "Spot" restaurant and pool area (SensiMar area). That pool didn't even seem to be on the map. In our opinion, it was THE best spot in the resort because the restaurant was great, the pool was quiet and the bar was never busy. If you want a bed by a pool, that is the pool to go to. There were always beds available.

BEACH:
The beach was not the greatest. Lots of algae and not the most impressive beach to look at but still a great spot to relax. I'm a bit of a beach person but I still was not bothered by the unimpressive beach because the rest of the resort more than made up for it and I still got my dose of beach. If you come to Mexico strictly for the beach, then this resort is not for you. If the beach is only one of many requirements, you can let it slide because this resort is simply fantastic.

The only thing that kind of irked us was when we received a flyer that offered free services such as massage, candlelit dinner, etc. It turns out that you only get these free services if you book a tour of the Casitas (higher end rooms) where they try to get you to book your next trips. The whole thing was a big sales pitch and we could have done without that deceiving marketing ploy for our week of vacation. I was about to give them 4 out of 5 starts due to their sales pitch but they made up for it by the end of the week and I truly think they deserve a 5 star rating.

OVERALL:
Lovely experience! They offered shuttles to take us wherever we needed to go on the resort. While everything in the resort is within walking distance, it can still take you a good 25 minutes to get from your room to one of the restaurants depending on where you are going. We never needed to wait longer than 4 minutes for one of these golf cart shuttles. The property is kept spotless and it really is a little paradise. Bathrooms were absolutely spotless. Tennis courts were great. One thing we would recommend is to get a poolside room. We didn't see the big deal until we got there and then we regretted not getting one. You won't need to leave the resort to entertain yourself for a week. We will definitely be going back to El Dorado Royale!

Room Tip: We should have gotten a pool side room. We didn't see the big deal until we got there. You liter...
2 Thank PlanetKarim
Dear PlanetKarim,
Many Thanks for your recent review. I'm glad that, despite the slight misstep on your arrival, we provided you with an unforgettable vacation experience. It was a true pleasure to be your hosts of this holiday and we all hope that you will not leave it too long before you chose to visit us again

Many thanks for your wonderful review; I'm glad that you experienced yet another amazing couple vacation at El Dorado Royale. Your praise for your staff, especially Victoria and Alfredo will be passed on to them as there is nothing better than receiving recognistion from our guests.

It’s great to know that you enjoyed your stay from beginning to end and I hope you will choose to return for your 2nd stay!
Regards

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I recently travelled with my husband to the Riviera Maya for the first time and stayed at the El Dorado Royale Spa resort by Karisma. It was the first time for both of us in Mexico and we were both extremely pleasantly surprised.

The whole experience was OUTSTANDING in every way. From the friendly, prompt check in process, to the beautiful room; everything was 5 star for sure. The room had beautiful marble flooring, a huge bathroom, dual sinks, a very comfortable king sized bed and a very nice balcony overlooking the garden. It was also extremely clean and smelled great! The room was just amazing.

The food was definitely gourmet, all delicious, fresh, and with beautiful presentations but somewhat small portions. Take note and order two appetizers per person. And sometimes two mains!

We went to Cocotal every morning for the breakfast buffet, but a few other restaurants also served breakfast ala carte. All fresh and delicious.

All our dinners were delicious, fresh and great service. In fact, the staff were extremely friendly and sweet throughout the whole resort. You couldn't walk two steps without someone saying "Ola". It felt very warm and welcoming.

Since we travelled at the beginning for August for five days, the resort didn't feel full or over crowded, which was perfect for us. (wish it was much longer than five days). The "lively, loud" pool was just that. The salt water pool however was much quieter most days so spent some time there. The pools were all clean and beautiful. No complaints there. The drinks were also delicious.

The beach was great. White powder sand. Warm, aqua blue water. They also had these cute little private individual "huts" on the beach which you could use for your loungers to lay out on the beach. Some areas of the beach were rocky so just be careful, but it wasn't a problem for us and we very much enjoyed the beach.

This is an adults only resort which is also great. Everything about our trip was amazing and we honestly can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the garden suites and it was huge. It felt like a small apartment with lots of s...
1 Thank Lina A
Dear Lina A,
Thank you for sharing your experiences; it was pleasure to read your review. El Dorado Royale Resort is designed with couples in mind, romance and relaxation. All details are just as important, so whether you are looking for a private romantic dinner or dine in an elegant a la cart gourmet corner. We will ensure that you have an unforgettable stay.

Like you said, we provide we have a variety of Restaurants to choose for dinner and during the day we also have an extensive selection of books with your personal concierge so there is no need to use all your luggage allowance if you are a reader.

It was an honor to host you and I hope that El Dorado Royale will be your number one choice for future romance vacations

Best regards
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just got back from an amazing honeymoon at the El Dorado Royale Spa resort in Riviera Maya Mexico. This resort is an absolute must!!! 100% luxury and the staff are amazing. They are all extremely polite and can not do enough for you. Every day you come back to your towels all folded on your bed like swans kissing or love hearts!!! The fridge in the room is always fully stocked with beer and soft drinks for you and the standards of the rooms are world class.
In terms of the restaurants it is superb. For breakfast I would recommend the Cokotal restaurant as it has by far the most choice and amazing selection of continental and cooked breakfasts and even a chocolate fountain for strawberry's and pancakes!!! The midday must is the pizzeria by the main pool with a beautiful selection of fast food such as pizza, hot dogs, burgers etc. They also do a BBQ every day near the pool with steak, seafood, chicken etc. amazing! For the evening there are many beautiful restaurants to choose from. My favourite was the candle lit dinner however this is one you pay extra for. The lobster menu is the best thing I have ever eaten. Da Italia by the lobby was my favourite all inclusive restaurant.There are two that require pre booking, these are the Mexican culinary theatre and the La Fuentes grill. I recommend booking on arrival as they get snapped up and as we was only there for a week we could not get a reservation and missed out!
The pools and bars are great, lots of quiet pools with swim up bars and beds for relaxing. If you want a more lively day the main pool is fun with swim up bar, music playing and water sports such as volleyball and water polo. Daniel who does the entertainment is awesome. He is always happy and up for a laugh. He really made my holiday fun whilst the wife soaked up the rays!!!
The beach is beautiful and the resort is literally on the beach!!! There are dive shacks on the beach that do free snorkel hire for a hour so be sure to do some snorkelling as the fish are beautiful. For a closer look at the fish take some bread in with you and you'll have shoals of tropical fish around you!
The one thing I will say is take some money with you as these guys love their tips. It is a way of life over there so it is almost expected which at times was slightly uncomfortable, however they have to earn a living and to be fair the service and hospitality they provide is amazing so I can't complain too much.
Also the WIFI is not free as you would expect from a 5* resort. It is around $50 for a week wich I found a bit of a rip off. We didn't bother with it but is is there if you want it.
The spa is great, we had a full body massage and it was amazing. This is all at additional cost unless on the honeymoon package.
The place is simply brilliant. I can not recommend it enough!!!!

Thank you to everyone at El Dorado Royale for making our honeymoon so special.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to a swim up pool room as I think the upgrade is around £350 - £400. If you do...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tom S
Dear Tom S,

It feels very rewarding to acknowledge how much our guests appreciate the service we have provided and the warmth of our people. It will be a pleasure to extend your compliments to our staff,
We are sure it will be a really nice way to encourage them to keep on being themselves.
We would like to thank you for your review, which will undoubtedly help our future guests when choosing their next destination in the Caribbean.
Looking forward to welcoming you back pretty soon,

Best regards,
Merthyr
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were lucky enough to spend three glorious weeks at this amazing resort, 16th July until 6th August 2014. We travelled as a family of three - myself, my husband and our 18 year old daughter. It was a fantastic experience, with so many good points I don't know where to begin!

First impressions: Upon arrival at the hotel I must admit being initially a little disappointed, as from the front entrance the hotel is very understated. However, once we set foot into the beautiful reception area and were given bubbly and a cold towel, this impression changed completely. The design, décor and general environment are beautifully maintained. The plants and flowers throughout the hotel grounds are stunning and the general environment is kept extremely clean and in good repair - a real credit to the many gardeners and maintenance workers who can be seen cheerfully going about their work each day.

Accommodation: We stayed in Block 7, which was quiet yet central to all main features of the hotel. Our room was kept spotlessly clean by Alma throughout our stay.

Facilities: We alternated our days between the main La Isla pool and the beach, near the chapel. The pool area is large and well maintained, with a large number of loungers and beds. My husband chose to get up early as we liked to have a bed at a certain end of the pool, however if you are not so fussy you could arrive later in the day and would probably get a lounger. The pool water was very warm and would have much more refreshing if cooler, but this was due to the high temperature of the climate and not a fault of the hotel. Special thanks to all the staff at the pool bar, who worked tirelessly. The main drawback for us at the pool was the large groups of mainly American guests, some of whom were really not happy unless everyone at the resort could hear their voices! The beach was generally much more peaceful, with less need to get up early for a bed. Big thanks to Angela and Isabelle for working so hard to bring us drinks throughout the day! The beach itself is breathtakingly beautiful, with the sand-bags creating a calm but cool lagoon. There are several daytime activities available in both the ocean and at the pool if you chose to do so. We preferred to just relax! We did however each have a massage at the Naay Spa. The environment in the spa is calming and professional. My husband had a deep tissue massage while my daughter and I both had a relaxing massage - all 80 minutes in duration. The service here was excellent - and we managed to get a good deal on the price from Ananias, who is a lovely guy and not at all pushy.

Excursions: We went on two excursions, the dolphin experience and Coco Bongo's. Both were fantastic experiences and I would highly recommend booking such trips through Eric, who works at the Dive Centre/towel collection point at La Isla Pool.

Food and drink: We ate at every restaurant, some up to 4 times during our stay, and we were NEVER disappointed! Every meal was flavoursome and fresh and while, yes, some portions are rather small, the richness of the food meant that we were always satisfied at the end of our meals. I am vegetarian and while it would be nice to see more vegetarian variety on some of the menus, I was well catered for and staff were always more than willing to adapt other recipes to suit if I did not fancy the vegetarian option on the menu. At lunch we often went to Jo Jo's and really enjoyed the food, however as this is the only restaurant which does not change it's menu between lunch and dinner, we therefore rarely returned in the evening. La Isla, on the other hand, offers a totally different menu at night therefore is well worth returning to for dinner. We loved Santa Fe but only visited once due to not getting round to returning to the concierge to re-book. Fuentes was a brilliant experience, but unfortunately our enjoyment of the culinary theatre was spoiled somewhat due to several groups of American guests talking loudly throughout. This not only meant we could not hear what the chef was saying but was also very disrespectful to the chef and other diners alike. We ate breakfast at Cocotal everyday and the buffet was both extensive and delicious. Drinks were excellent at every bar we visited! We sampled a large number of delicious cocktails - my favourite was a chocolate martini while hubby loved the Devil Inside!

Entertainment: The nightly entertainment at Guacamayas was usually cruise-ship standard, with Danny and the entertainment team doing an excellent job throughout the days and evenings. A very minor criticism is that the nightly show starts at 10, which meant that unless you make the effort to have an early dinner, the start was often missed. Maybe a 10.30 or 11:00 start would be better?

Service: EXCELLENTE!!!!!! We have never been anywhere where ALL staff - from cleaners to chefs to waiters - are so genuinely friendly and keen to help. Brenda was our host at several restaurants, often at La Isla, and she always gave us a warm and personal welcome. Efrain and Isaac also made sure we were well attended at lunch and dinner. At breakfast in Cocotal Celestino and Anastacio became our good friends and went out of their way to provide excellent service. Samy and Alex again always greeted us with a smile and perfect hospitality, as did all staff.

Apologies for the lengthy review but this place deserves true recognition. We would return tomorrow if we could!

Room Tip: Blocks 6, 7 and 8 are excellently positioned for a central but peaceful location.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank SullyMerthyr
Dear SullyMerthyr,

Looking forward to welcoming you back pretty soon,

Best regards,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We choose El Dorado Royale as a recommendation from our travel agent, Nanda with Beach Bum Vacations, for our one year anniversary. It was amazing and we are so glad to go with her recommendation.

Food was absolutely amazing! Downside we found was that 2 of the restaurants only took reservations. We ended up not eating at one of the restaurants because we could only get a reservation our last night at 9.

Room was very nice and clean. The maid service did a wonderful job keeping our floors clean even with all the sand we brought in.

The property is huge, so there is a lot of walking from place to place. Not very many outside showers to clean off from the beach. We had to walk to the pool to shower off. The pools were great, and so were the drinks!

I highly recommend this resort and would definitely go back many times in the future.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms, aren't really beachfront. There are a lot of palm trees blocking the view, we...
19 Thank Meghan J
Dear Meghan J,
Thank you for your review, detailing your experiences from your stay with us, firstly please accepts our apologies for the areas that we fell short of expectations. I never like to hear that any guest has been disappointed with their stay and I have noted the aspects of the dinner reservation affected your stay, for this please accept our apologize.

Your feedback has been carefully considered and I will be sure to take the necessary action to ensure that the El Dorado Royale maintains one of the most sought after resorts within the Riviera Maya and Mexico

best regards
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,581 reviews

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!