“Best trip Ever!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bloomingdale, Illinois
“Best trip Ever!!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Had an awesome time!! Couldn't be more happy with it!! Victor was the best waiter ever!!! Diego was great at the pool and getting activities organized! My husband and I are looking forward to going back again!! Very relaxing! Food was amazing (make sure to order more than 1 entree) Highly Highly recommend this place!! Linda from Starship Travel was the best getting everything ready for us to go!! If you need a GREAT travel agent call her!! starship travel.- 310 W Northwest hwy – Arlington heights, il 60004

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful!!
1 Thank Haidee G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,598)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Firstly, let me state that the resort and room were absolutely spectacular and the food deserves 5 stars. We were greeted in reception with a cool rag infused with eucalyptus and a glass of champagne, and had a bottle of champagne and fresh fruit in our room waiting for us. What an excellent start to our honeymoon. Our concierges, Liz and Ruth, were wonderful and went above and beyond to ensure that my wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon. On our first day there Liz and Ruth helped me plan our entire week and even booked our reservations for dinner at the various restaurants. Basically if there was anything that we needed to make our stay better Liz and Ruth made it happen. Each restaurant was unique in its own way and the food was always great. My one suggestion would be to add staff members to assist with clearing off the tables as the waiters served both functions, which I know doubles there work load and these guys were constantly moving. This did not detract from our stay but I could see how hard these fine people were working.

The resort is spread out which makes the shuttle service all the more beneficial, although due to our location in the Casitas section we were not always able to secure one. There were even a couple of occasions when we were in the main resort section and were told by the shuttle drivers that they could not take us to the Casitas section. Perhaps there only designated shuttles for the main section, but we were never told of shuttles being pegged for the Casitas only so we just enjoyed the walks back to our room.

Now to discuss the hiccups. I am not a complainer and usually go with the flow but I like to be objective so other travelers have an honest picture and also the management of the resort can make necessary improvements. There was confusion of whether a resort credit weas valid with our honeymoon promotion when we were checking out. We booked the candlelight dinner and were told we cold upgrade to the lobster selection because we had a credit from the travel agency partner, and our concierge confirmed this with a phone call to the front desk. So there should not been any confusion since both Liz and Ruth always confirmed credits and reservations in front of us. The reception clerk said that it was not valid we and if we declined to pay the difference then the concierge would have to pay the difference out of her check. If there was a mistake and I can accept that but this upset me for 2 reasons; 1) if the resort, regardless of who makes the statement, makes an error in a promotion then they should immediately own the mistake, make the necessary adjustment and move on, 2) do not threaten to charge a hard working member of the staff to cover a discrepancy when that could easily be absorbed by the resort. We all work hard for our paychecks and should never have it threaten for simple mistakes. After going through this headache for the next couple of hours I was finally told that they would honor the credit and the concierge would not be charged. The annoying thing is that could have been rectified immediately instead of being dragged out unnecessarily for the latter part of our last day at the resort. There were other minor glitches resulting either not understanding the process applying of resort vouchers in the spa and check out at the main lobby that are not worth mentioning, but the rating of the 4 stars is highly attributed to how poorly the candlelight dinner credit was handled.

Outside of the voucher issue our stay was outstanding and we even made a friend on the wait staff in Jojo's and Cocotal. We always sat in Sammy's sections and his service was exceptional. Sammy even went out of his way to have a pineapple cut up for my wife for breakfast on 2 occasions when it was not available in the buffet. I could tell that Sammy took pride in his work and actually enjoyed interacting with the guests. I really enjoyed our time here and will definitely visit this or another Karisma resort in the future.

Room Tip: If you want ultimate privacy then I would book the Casita suite with the infinity pool. You are on t...
3 Thank KBHenry
Stockton-on-Tees, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was our first time in Mexico, & the El Dorado Royale was the perfect choice. The hotel was spotlessly clean. The food in each restaurant was delicious, & the service excellent. Yes there are sandbags on the beach but they are not that bad and are there for a reason! We always found a lounger on the beach each day, but the main pools were quite busy. I would certainly recommend El Dorado Royale and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms were lovely
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Bev B
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear United Kingdom friends,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent star here at El Dorado Royale. It is amazing to read that our guest truley appreciate our ardous efforts to preserve our beaches and Resort as a Luxury, relaxing and romantic ambience for vacationers such as yourself.
We will wait for you next year!

Best regards
croydon
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I must stay this was the best holiday ever!!

Me and my partner stayed in the El Dorado Royale in July for 10 days. Booked with Thomson and flew on the new Dreamliner, nice flight with extra leg room seats. Transfer from airport was quick as El Dorado was first drop off.

On arrival we had a welcome champagne and cocktail and a nice cold damp flannel. Check in was fast and we was taken to our room within 20 minutes.

Room was a Jucuzzi Swim up suite in the Sensi Mar section (room 5208) swim up room which connected to two pools..the quiet Sensi Mar pool and a main activity pool, excellent location we had the sun from sunrise until about 3pm.
Clean Spacious room, mini bar stocked every day, decent hairdryer and Revlon/No.7 magnifying light mirror (excellent if you where make up as the lighting in rooms is not the brightest).
Having a key for the safe is a bit outdated but it never really bothered me.

I would like to say a massive thanks to Billy, Danny and Carlos who were our personal concierge throughout our stay, always happy to help. The rose petals and cake towel art on my birthday were lovely.

Restaraunts were all gourmet inclusive sit down and be waited on, Portions can be small but remember you can order more then 1 starter, main or dessert each. So after a couple of days we was doing just that. Every meal I ate was delicious.
We never felt we had to tip any of the waiters but the service provided was so good we tipped anyway. I did not see any waiters favour guests that were tipping I got excellent service from each bar and restaurant I went to. They do not sell wine by the glass and the bottles I thought were quite pricey for a standard white (Chardonnay/Pinot Grig) There are so many places to eat, our favourite was Jo Jos for lunch and dinner and La Cocatol for breakfast which was buffet or menu. Our favourite Bar was the Beach Bar.

The Beach was beautiful in places, and I would reccommend wearing pumps as there stones and rock as well as sand in places and yes there are sand bags to break the waves and preserve the sandy beach.. but we just snorkelled around them and loved feeding the fish bread in the morning.

The hotel and grounds are the cleanest and tidiest I have ever seen, always polite staff gardening and greeting with a friendly 'hola'. I really cannot wait to return to this hotel. It is an amazing place to stay and you really do get a 5 star service.

I would not pay much attention to the bad reviews, some people cannot be pleased and always want more. I worried myself with the bad reviews before my stay as I wanted this holiday to be special for my partner and for my 30th and I don't think I could have picked a better place to stay, met some lovely people (Kansas).

So thanks again El Dorado Royale, I hope to be back again soon. Might try a swim up at the Casitas next time though.

Room Tip: Stayed In Block 52 in the very quiet Sensi Mar section, Excellent Swim up Suite, would recommend the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank fifigrimble
Dear fifigrimble,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am happy to hear that your experience with our resort was in line with our reputation for upscale and quality service, which is all a part of our unique gourmet inclusive concept. Both, our manager and executive chef have tuned-in very well with the spirit of our site and they have been heartily welcomed in our team to make this the unique Gourmet Inlusive.

On behalf of El Dorado Royale, I'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort.

All the best!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The resort is beautiful and relaxing, unfortunately the beach is slowly disappearing. The resort was not as customer friendly as I anticipated per reviews and the level of customer service was inconsistent, decreasing each day over our week stay. In general the resort staff appeared to have very little experience in accommodating large leisure groups outside of special occasions such as weddings. I was especially disappointed in the cultural competency of staff that was rude and discriminatory at times. The management staff appeared unsure of procedures but made an honest effort to accommodate us after receiving poor service on multiple occasions. Our group of 12 (6 couples) travel together yearly, either adult only or with our families. I am sure that the El Dorado Royale (Karisma Hotels and Resorts) will not receive a repeat visit from us anytime soon. When reading reviews for travel one must remember everyone will not have the same experience and many times it is based on who is the target customer for the hotel/resort. I left feeling it was not me!

9 Thank Lynette W
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just came back from our honeymoon at El Dorado Royale and couldn't have asked for a better week. The only "issue" we had was the long wait to check in upon arrival at the lobby. It turns out it was just a busy time of the day and at no other time did we need to wait at the front desk. Once our room was ready, we were driven there on a golf cart. We were already impressed yet relieved as it was a BIG resort and we were happy not to carry our suitcase all the way to our room.

RESTAURANTS:
All the restaurants had wonderful service and great food. Our favourites were D'Italia, Kampai and Jojo, although we loved all of them. For breakfast and lunch, we spent most of our time at "Spot" a hidden gem at the far west end of the resort, also called Sensimar. For dinner restaurants, portions were generally small but with one or two appetizers and a main course, we were always satisfied. The quality of the food was top notch in every restaurant. We also need to mention the Health Bar where we would regularly stop for our shakes and cookie. They also serve a great lunch. Waiting time depends on the time of day, restaurant and how busy the resort is. In the week we were there, we only waited for a table twice. If you have breakfast or lunch at Spot, you won't wait and you'll have peace and quiet.

SERVICE:
Wonderful. Everyone greeted us with a smile and we never felt like a tip was expected, although it was always very much appreciated. We would especially like to thank Victor the tennis pro for his great lessons. He spent more time than he needed to making sure we had the right technique. Also, Victoria from Entertainment always booked the tennis courts for us with a smile, provided water bottles, towels, etc. Juan at the Health Bar always looked happy to serve us which made us come back every day. Finally, Alfredo, the waiter at "Spot" restaurant always made sure we had everything we needed. The list can go on. All this to say that the service was wonderful.

ROOMS:
The room was spotless. Housekeeping came twice, once to clean the room and make the bed and a second time around dinner time to leave a chocolate, turn on music and prepare the bed for our return from dinner/entertainment. It was a nice touch.

POOLS:
There are at least four pools, all very clean and some quieter than others. Fortunately for us, our room was next to the "Spot" restaurant and pool area (SensiMar area). That pool didn't even seem to be on the map. In our opinion, it was THE best spot in the resort because the restaurant was great, the pool was quiet and the bar was never busy. If you want a bed by a pool, that is the pool to go to. There were always beds available.

BEACH:
The beach was not the greatest. Lots of algae and not the most impressive beach to look at but still a great spot to relax. I'm a bit of a beach person but I still was not bothered by the unimpressive beach because the rest of the resort more than made up for it and I still got my dose of beach. If you come to Mexico strictly for the beach, then this resort is not for you. If the beach is only one of many requirements, you can let it slide because this resort is simply fantastic.

The only thing that kind of irked us was when we received a flyer that offered free services such as massage, candlelit dinner, etc. It turns out that you only get these free services if you book a tour of the Casitas (higher end rooms) where they try to get you to book your next trips. The whole thing was a big sales pitch and we could have done without that deceiving marketing ploy for our week of vacation. I was about to give them 4 out of 5 starts due to their sales pitch but they made up for it by the end of the week and I truly think they deserve a 5 star rating.

OVERALL:
Lovely experience! They offered shuttles to take us wherever we needed to go on the resort. While everything in the resort is within walking distance, it can still take you a good 25 minutes to get from your room to one of the restaurants depending on where you are going. We never needed to wait longer than 4 minutes for one of these golf cart shuttles. The property is kept spotless and it really is a little paradise. Bathrooms were absolutely spotless. Tennis courts were great. One thing we would recommend is to get a poolside room. We didn't see the big deal until we got there and then we regretted not getting one. You won't need to leave the resort to entertain yourself for a week. We will definitely be going back to El Dorado Royale!

Room Tip: We should have gotten a pool side room. We didn't see the big deal until we got there. You liter...
2 Thank PlanetKarim
Dear PlanetKarim,
Many Thanks for your recent review. I'm glad that, despite the slight misstep on your arrival, we provided you with an unforgettable vacation experience. It was a true pleasure to be your hosts of this holiday and we all hope that you will not leave it too long before you chose to visit us again

Many thanks for your wonderful review; I'm glad that you experienced yet another amazing couple vacation at El Dorado Royale. Your praise for your staff, especially Victoria and Alfredo will be passed on to them as there is nothing better than receiving recognistion from our guests.

It’s great to know that you enjoyed your stay from beginning to end and I hope you will choose to return for your 2nd stay!
Regards

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I recently travelled with my husband to the Riviera Maya for the first time and stayed at the El Dorado Royale Spa resort by Karisma. It was the first time for both of us in Mexico and we were both extremely pleasantly surprised.

The whole experience was OUTSTANDING in every way. From the friendly, prompt check in process, to the beautiful room; everything was 5 star for sure. The room had beautiful marble flooring, a huge bathroom, dual sinks, a very comfortable king sized bed and a very nice balcony overlooking the garden. It was also extremely clean and smelled great! The room was just amazing.

The food was definitely gourmet, all delicious, fresh, and with beautiful presentations but somewhat small portions. Take note and order two appetizers per person. And sometimes two mains!

We went to Cocotal every morning for the breakfast buffet, but a few other restaurants also served breakfast ala carte. All fresh and delicious.

All our dinners were delicious, fresh and great service. In fact, the staff were extremely friendly and sweet throughout the whole resort. You couldn't walk two steps without someone saying "Ola". It felt very warm and welcoming.

Since we travelled at the beginning for August for five days, the resort didn't feel full or over crowded, which was perfect for us. (wish it was much longer than five days). The "lively, loud" pool was just that. The salt water pool however was much quieter most days so spent some time there. The pools were all clean and beautiful. No complaints there. The drinks were also delicious.

The beach was great. White powder sand. Warm, aqua blue water. They also had these cute little private individual "huts" on the beach which you could use for your loungers to lay out on the beach. Some areas of the beach were rocky so just be careful, but it wasn't a problem for us and we very much enjoyed the beach.

This is an adults only resort which is also great. Everything about our trip was amazing and we honestly can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the garden suites and it was huge. It felt like a small apartment with lots of s...
1 Thank Lina A
Dear Lina A,
Thank you for sharing your experiences; it was pleasure to read your review. El Dorado Royale Resort is designed with couples in mind, romance and relaxation. All details are just as important, so whether you are looking for a private romantic dinner or dine in an elegant a la cart gourmet corner. We will ensure that you have an unforgettable stay.

Like you said, we provide we have a variety of Restaurants to choose for dinner and during the day we also have an extensive selection of books with your personal concierge so there is no need to use all your luggage allowance if you are a reader.

It was an honor to host you and I hope that El Dorado Royale will be your number one choice for future romance vacations

Best regards
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!