We booked our holiday through Hayes and Jarvis, flew with Thomson airline from Birmingham to Cancun, we did have to stop off in Manchester to refuel the plane, as Birminghams runway is not big enough to do so. After our long flight we arrived in Cancun mid afternoon and were met outside of Cancun airport by a Hayes and Jarvis rep and taken to our transfer bus, which was a private mini bus just for the two of us so was a stress free start to the holiday. It took about 30 mins to get to our hotel (straight route from airport) We pulled up outside the hotel and were met by a bell boy who took our luggage and gave us a ticket, we were then greated with a glass of Champagne. Check in is after 3pm, it was after this time when we arrived so we checked in straigh away, we had no problems, but they did ask us for a credit card swipe, although I do carry 1 with me abroad incase of emergency, I advised them I didn't have a credit card with me and nothing more was said about it... Simple! We received the keys to our room and the safe key aswel, the bell boy met us outside and took us to our room on a golf buggie, 1614, he did give us a tour of the resort first which was nice. Our is opposite La Isla, which has a swimming pool right next to it, close to the beach and Jojo's grill, quite a nice location.
The resort itself is lovely, I couldn't really say a bad thing about it, apart from it is a bit quiet, the hotel has an activities pool where they will play water polo, volleyball, aerobics etc, they do have other activities such as snorkeling, bike rides and Kayaking (we did neither) which is included in the all inclusive. They also have water activities you can pay extra for aswel like Wave runners. para sailing scuba diving etc... We did the wave runner 65USD for 30 mins and that was 2 of us on one wave runner. There is only one bar to go to of an evening that has entertainment and music.
I would recommend the buffet at Cocotal for your breakfast, maybe Jojo's for lunch (you have to try the Caribbean Ice Cream) or theres a burger and pizza place by the pool near Jojos, didn't catch the name! We didn't get to eat in D'Italia as there was a wait of nine tables before we would have got seated! Even though they say you don't need a reservation.
Make sure you do the shuttle bus to Playa Del Carmen and Cancun, it's nice to get out of the resort, we actually walked to the main road and got on the local shuttle bus amongst the locals (5USD for 2 to Cancun) Quite an experience I must say!
You will need a lot of tipping money, they do work hard and I kinda felt bad if I didn't give them anything, especially the bell boys and the men from room service. The staff are so friendly at the resort, always saying "Hola!" as they pass by which was nice.
We stayed in a Jacuzzi Suite (which is a standard room at this hotel) but it was lovely!! The Jacuzzi was fab! The bathroom was so so clean, the maids cleaned it everyday, but if you are in your room, make sure you lock your door (or put the 'do not disturb' sign up) during the day as they do have a tendancy to walk in lol!
All in all was very impressed, was a bit nervous when I saw some of the reviews on here, but there is nothing to worry about. A lot of people moan about the sand bags, but actually if they weren't there, the El Dorado wouldn't have a beach!!!! Plus the fish swim around them so you have more chance of seeing the sealife.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Stayforlong S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale