“Paradise indeed!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Riga, Latvia
“Paradise indeed!”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Have no words to express my feelings about this amazing place! Definitely, it was the best vacation we ever had before!
We were supposed to come to Grand the same day hurricane Rina was going to hit the shore of Playa Paraiso. I was completely upset, and even thought to cancel the trip... Thank's God, I didn't do that. Our flight was delayed for 24 hours, and by the tme we got to the place, the weather was excellent, whereas the hotel was FABULOUS. The service, the staff, the room, the restaurants, the entertainment, guests etc - everything was amazing! We are coming back, and that's for sure!
Thank you, Iberostar, for making us happy! You're number 1!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Oksana_lasko

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,439)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dallas
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We've traveled to the Riviera Maya/Playa Paraiso area several times now and have stayed in 3 different adult "all-inclusive" resorts. They have all been wonderful. This was our most recent trip to the area and we decided to try the Iberostar brand resort. There are two additional resorts in this Iberostar complex, but the Grand Hotel is the adults only site. My husband and I DID check out the other two resorts (Lindo and Maya), which were actually more aesthetically pleasing and beautifully decorated than the Grand Hotel.

My first impression of the Grand Hotel Paraiso was that I was not impressed. It was a great disappointment when I entered the lobby and adjacent bar area. I do not know who decorated this, but it is like they had 5 different people who had 5 different concepts of what they wanted and none of them meshed. It seemed they couldn’t decide on whether it should be modern, Broadway, retro gold-leaf elegance, native, shabby chic or what. None of it worked with each other and was not classy. It was some of the most discordant decorating I've ever seen in ANY hotel/resort, and we travel A LOT. What is so sad about it is that some of the items were quite beautiful (the martini glass floor in the bar area, the mosaic tile circle in the reception area, the interesting modern chandelier (they had like 4 different ones all over) and if they had stuck with a specific era, it could have been quite lovely.

Thankfully, this was the only negative thing I have to say about the physical part of the resort. The rooms were spacious, beautifully decorated and the staff were courteous and friendly. The bathrooms were enormous with a separate shower and tub. Our balcony had both a cushioned swing and a loveseat and looked over the beach. The food in the restaurants were good, not exceptional, but good. The beach access was excellent and you were not bombarded by vendors. The resort itself was gorgeous, the dining rooms/restaurants were decorated in quite different and interesting ways.

Be sure to go into the main buildings (where the shops, spa and restaurants are located) or you will miss some phenomenal architecture. We would have missed them if we had not gone to the various shows and restaurants. The nightly shows were quite entertaining and well done. Our favorite was the cultural dance (with onscreen explanations). The costumes were beautiful, the dancers elegant and talented. The favorite of the employees was the rock show (several of them mentioned it to us). I thought it was good, but not my favorite.

One of the really cute things they did was have a photographer that took pictures of you with a different animal each day. This was one of the highlights of our trip. We never buy pictures on most of our trips, but we bought all the photos with iguana, parrot and monkey.

There are several shops in the main building with beautiful products. Most of the clerks were helpful and friendly. I bought some shoes, a purse and souvenirs. I was most disappointed in the service at the jewelry store. I was so turned off about it that I did not buy anything. Before I walked in, both the girl and gentleman were texting on their phones. When I walked in, there was no immediate acknowledgement, but the man quickly finished and was pleasant. The girl never looked up, smiled or stopped what she was doing the entire time I was in the jewelry store. This was a very poor representation of service and I went to the outdoor mall and bought jewelry there instead.

I was excited to see a pool table inside the main building. Unfortunately, the room is not actually conducive to playing. If you stay in this room for more than 15-20 minutes, you are sweating it was so hot. I think there is something wrong with the ventilation system in that room, there did not seem to be a problem anywhere else in that section of the building.

Overall, this was a nice resort and I would definitely recommend a visit. I do think the developers need to rethink their lobby entrance area…you know what they say about first impressions.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Durwoody
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Great resort! I would recommend it to anyone! The service is incredible, the staff are very friendly, and the grounds are absolutely beautiful. The restaurants are good, especially the buffet. I wasn't that impressed with the Italian restaurant, but maybe I'm used to commercial Italian food. Overall, I loved this resort!

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach have a wonderful view!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lmclarke04
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 7 November 2011

we came back 3 months later and we expect the same service and they gave it to us. this time we try the spas, and they were so relaxing and overwhelming and they were for couples. Excellent food even in the buffets, personal were excessively attentive. Best time of our lives and its wonderful to reinforce your marriage. its a place highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank drchuycruz
Lansing, MI
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We almost didn't make our trip due to Hurricane Rina's appearance to the Yucatan Pennisula just two days prior. But we are so glad we still went! We were blessed with beautiful weather and of course a wonderful time.

The whole time we were comparing it to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica as we were there 2 1/2 years ago. We enjoyed that vacation so much we weren't sure if the Grand Paraiso could pull it off. But they sure did and even better!

What an expansive resort! We were so impressed and amazed by it's size. We took a bike tour which was nice to get a feel for the whole Iberostar complex.

Room: We were upgraded to an oceanfront corner suite and in the end regretted it. While the outside jacuzzi was nice, we only used it twice and we missed the hammock swing greatly. We just didn't think it was worth it.

Butler service: We had several different butlers as we moved buildings after the first night. The first two were amazing. They sent champagne the first night and made sure our next room had it too! They never forgot us and kept making sure our current butler was taking care of us! Don't hesitate to ask for anything. My husband asked for one of the nights to be "special" and they made up a nice bath complete with rose petals and a delicious chocolate dessert. Yum.

Room service: Also don't hesitate to ask for items not on the room service menu or breakfast menu. We asked for chips, salsa & guacamole and for Lobster Blinis which they serve off the breakfast menu at the buffet. They were happy to do it!

Gym: My husband and I love to work out and the facilities there did not dissappoint. They have several treadmills, ellipticals, and a nice variety of weight machines, dumbells, steps and mats.

Food: This was the only category that didn't surpass the Grand Rose Hall. Altough they do have an extensive buffet it just seemed to lack. However we did love the Gourmet and the lobster was amazing at the Surf & Turf...just perfect. For lunch we couldn't get enough of the shrimp fajitas.

Shows: Don't miss the Magic Show.

We just were amazed at the service we experienced. Just "ask and you shall receive"!

Room Tip: Do go for the ocean front on the 2nd or 3rd floor, but forget the corner suite with jacuzzi.
6 Thank traveln5
Sandusky,Ohio
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We were hesitant to return to the grand due to some questionable reviews earlier this summer, but are extremely glad we did. The staff at the Grand made this the best (been there 8 times) of all the trips. My friends always ask why you keep returning to the same place, but if you have stayed there before, you will know what I am saying. I will not review the hotel again, but will thank all the staff for making this a memorable trip. I feel like a king when I stay there and they will make you feel the same way. Thanks to the butlers, Alberto and Victor, thumbs up.

5 Thank Eshort
Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This was our eighth trip to The Grande and it was the best trip so far. Small touches went a long way and all the staff were very attentive, smiling and helpful. Beach service was wonderful, activities entertaining and fun, food good, butler service fabulous, bar service quick and good and again all staff very friendly. My husband and I will return again and look forward to another great relaxing vacation at the Grande!

6 Thank ruthiecat
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!