“Best in the World”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Recently, Trip Advisor rated this hotel as the "number 1 all inclusive resort in the world". Having traveled to dozens of all inclusive resorts, I couldn't agree more. Yesterday I had Lobster for all 3 meals. The service is second to none. The architecture is breathing taking. The rooms are big and beautiful, the grounds well kept, butler service is excellent, huge pools, very comfortable chaise lounges, smoking and non smoking rooms, top shelve liquors, great specialty restaurants and the food is out of this world. The other night, I had my choice of 4 different types of steak - tenderloin and strip steak being my favorites. Number 1 in the world for a reason....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Billytd2
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your mention of our award which we received thanks to our wonderful guests!

We are very pleased to hear about your satisfaction, especially concerning our staff , big and beautiful rooms, huge pools and our quality of service, Your comfort and satisfaction are our main concerns; we will share your feedback with all of our staff members for their motivation.

We hope to welcome you back very soon at Iberostar Grand Paraiso and thank you for your recommendation.

To my fellow TripAdvisor followers,

I am here to write my yearly review of our all-inclusive vacation. As a TripAdvisor devotee, I spend much of my time researching vacation on here and try to write a detailed review every year to help out others. After thinking I have researched so thoroughly, I definitely never thought this would be my review. I actually considered not writing one this year, however, after already researching the next vacation I see that Grand Paraiso has just won the number 1 all inclusive resort in the WORLD! I immediately had to come on to write a review. Not to bash, just to not have anyone else feel like I did.

We went on vacation this year with our 2 best friends who also happened to get married to each other. Since this would most likely be our only huge vacation together, I wanted the best of the best. I was in charge of planning and researched for what felt like forever. We had previously been to Royal Playa del Carmen twice and were just thrilled with it. But I felt like there had to be bigger and better out there so after researching I felt like Iberostar Grand Paraiso was IT! We booked for Nov 10-17. Got in 45 minutes early, private transportation, everything was perfect! And then we pulled in. Old looking. Grounds unkempt on the drive up. I kept thinking, just walk in and it's going to be great!!!! It was just. Underwhelming. Very. They offered no upgrade option to purchase as they said the hotel was fully booked. Which was a joke, every restaurant, the pool, were completely empty. Whatever, that was fine I wasn't letting that ruin my time! Let's go to lunch! Only lunch option was the buffet. On our walk there we see the ceiling is leaking multiple places, again, not letting it ruin anything I couldn't wait to eat this food everyone said was amazing!! We get to this tiny buffet, waiter comes to take the drink order and we go up to see the food. It was so, so underwhelming. I got the lobster which was disgusting (I later found out when they grill it's awesome!!! When they cook it inside, run!) We all ate, and never even got our 4 drinks until after all of our plates were clean. In the completely empty restaurant. Now the two things I knew most about this place was the good food and the service. So both were completely opposite. Needless to say I was on the verge of tears knowing we had paid $1000 more and could've been somewhere guaranteed great (The Royal) so I emailed our travel agent and begged to be transferred. We hung out by the pool waiting for our rooms to be ready (3pm at the latest). One of the rooms was ready at 3:10 so we all just went to it. The travel agent got back to me and said nothing of reasonable price was available at either Royal so we were stuck. I went out on our balcony and looked at the crumbling, dirty columns and just thought, how could this have happened!
I promise this review is not all doom and gloom though. We went to the buffet that night which was also not great (Mexican night). The show that night was surprisingly good though! And the Star Wars themed bar was surprisingly fun! So let me wrap up some pros and cons for anyone reading so this is not the most long winded review ever. The service did get better throughout the week. The Star Friends really made the trip for us, they are so personable and sweet!!! It was my best friends birthday and Andy (Andres) remembered and brought her a little medal, he was AMAZING, Ximena, Estephenia & Eduardo are just outstanding. Really, really amazing people! They made the pool so fun, it's so sad that they are tied to doing so few things as to not upset the older crowd who want that awful elevator music playing the whole time. We would laugh to ourselves that they call the main pool the 'party pool'. 90% of the time you would almost think you were at the quiet pool. I was surprised at how few and far between servers came around at the pool for orders. I think I only ordered twice from a waitress. It's a bummer that there is only the swim up bar. You would think for a large resort they would have more than one bar around the pool. In fact, there are basically only 2 bars for the whole resort, the lounge bar and the pool bar. You could count the music bar 'Rhapsody' but the time we tried to go there the waitress had to come over from the lounge bar to serve us, which we surely wouldn't make her do. Very odd. I must also point out the most amazing waitress, Celia I believe is her name at the lounge bar, wow she is the greatest :)
Anyway (this is still turning out long winded), I guess I was overall just surprised at how old the place felt. Our room was always very clean, but the paint was peeling everywhere, the décor was atrocious, the ceiling-wow. I can't even tell you how many spots were leaking. I swear, I am such an easy person to please, but I was shocked that such an expensive place would have, no joke from our room to the elevator 10 shammy's or buckets would be out to collect the water. For the money it was just very surprising. The shows at night were surprisingly good though. I thought the night life was very good, sure the bar was Star Wars and far away but it was open until 3! I thought that was good. The only time we ever had a problem with a golf cart taking us back was one night after the bar a bell boy was trying to charge $20 to take people back so we walked (not a long walk, although unlit). I told the front desk in the morning and they gave us a card to give to them if it happened again. We also noticed the sidewalks were lit after that night so it was nice to see that they tried to make things right. Fernando our butler was really great too. He would bend over backwards for anything. Cesar our butler was very kind too, but seemed to do a little less. For my friends birthday he came over to see if he could do anything with the room. We said yes! Balloons would be great, rose petals if you have them, he asked what she liked to drink and I said the rose champagne. When she showed up it was balloons and a bottle of white zinfandel. Again, not a big deal she was still so happy. But then that night we came back to our room and there were rose petals everywhere? I wanted to grab them and take them into her room!
I think what they try to charge for their dinner on the beach is outrageous too. $315 a couple for the same food and they already have the whole construction set up? I thought for sure it would be different once we got there, but I spoke with the concierge who said she couldn't do anything on the price for my friends birthday and went to the front desk to talk to manager who wouldn't come out and told his staff to just tell me to talk to the concierge. Funny. Finally when I did just go to the concierge to order a cake for her birthday ($40) they said they couldn't do it because it had to be ordered 24 hours in advance. It was noon and our reservations were at 8:30.
I know it sounds like I am being the biggest complainer, but I guess I just got my hopes up very high from reading everything on here. I thought the service would really try to help out, we didn't ask for anything besides these things. It was just a let down for the money and what everyone says about it. Even the breakfast buffet! Half of the people don't know how to make omelettes. I'm no even kidding. The ingredients aren't cooked before they go into the egg, the don't know how to fold them and even when you remind them to put cheese in they would still forget. It was confusing. I started thinking maybe places can pay TripAdvisor to be rated highly?
One last con-and I know this says nothing about the hotel-but on the top of our entertainment center there was a tray which we were wondering what it was for one day and took it down. We found a bag of weed! By that time it was just a comedy of errors.
But here are some pros: The beach is to die for! It is so private and lovely. You look at the other beaches crowded, rocky. It was just a dream come true of a beach, really. The book really was great as in not crowded. The music was just so bad. You never had to fight for a seat though, ever! No towel games :) Loved the coati's too!!! They were really cute. The drinks were very good, no problem getting high end liquor. We did have to go to the Maya to find our favorite drink though- the Fantasy! They had a drink of the day over there which was nice, just confusing why the Grand wouldn't do the same? Shows were great, Star Friends amazing. The dinners were FANTASTIC!!!! After Mexican night at the buffet we had such amazing dinners. Italian restaurant was great, we went to Surf & Turf twice (Javier the manager is OUTSTANDING!), and Gourmet twice (best meal there! You must try this: cheese soufflé/lobster thermidor/chocolate couvant, one of the best meals I've ever had) and International night at the buffet was a hit all the way away, go up for the lobster, it's not the as at lunch, it was hands down the best lobster I've ever had in my life. So, all in all we still had a great trip. Would I go back? No. If I had never been to another all inclusive I think I would've been impressed and loved it. But knowing of one other place out there, I wouldn't bother. I, as well as the others on our trip, were just so perplexed as to how it's gotten such high ratings. Thank you to the staff, though. What great people you are. Everyone going, enjoy! I have to now hunt for my next trip :)

34  Thank Ashley D

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us; we take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously as we constantly strive to achieve the utmost level of guest satisfaction.

We have noted your feedback regarding the points you have so kindly brought to our attention. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointments. Please note that we passed your feedback to all the department heads concerned in order to review our practices, processes, and procedures, most especially when we are dealing with our guests.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused and we hope that despite of these issues, we will be able to welcome you back for a, hopefully, more enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you once again for your feedback and be assured that we will do our best to improve and guarantee the satisfaction of all our guests.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Our company took a group of 160 people to stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso, from November 3-7th, and it was the smoothest trip I have ever done. We knew going in that the Iberostar is a great property with top notch food, service, drinks and facilities, but the staff, particularly Ms. Saray Trevino, was above and beyond the MOST AMAZING people we could work with. She always had a smile on her face, and no matter how ridiculous our last minute requests were (anything from different music at the pool, to a dozen eggs for beach games, last minute restaurant reservations, medical emergencies, etc) she never said no, it was always a "Let me see what I can do", usually with some pretty good options as a result. I will highly recommend this property for anyone seriously trying to make a great impression on clients, and if they have the pleasure of working with Saray Trevino, their experience will be that much better. Kudos to out to the concierge, bellmen, waitstaff, front desk and pretty much anyone we came in contact with during our trip. Thank you for making my job THAT much easier! Muchos Besos!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Berrones
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much appreciate your positive comments. Thank you for taking your precious time to publish your review about the Grand Paraiso Hotel.

Our commitment to create unforgettable experiences is the reason for we work every day, for that reason every word you wrote makes that this compromise worth it. The Grand is used to offering a first class service however the expectations with a big group like yours, always becomes a new challenge that we work hard to meet and overcome!

The whole team thanks you for your gracious comments and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 19 November 2013

One week is not enough. Amazing service, food, drinks and location. We went for our Anniversary and the staff made it a wonderful and special day.

It is located between Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Morelos so trips into town are quick and easy. We will be returning when we have the chance!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
4  Thank bayouGuy2013

(Inglés) por bayouGuy2013 desde Boulder, Colorado, USA, Nov 18 2013 for Iberostar Grand Paraiso
Best trip ever!

Dear guest,

First of all, thank you very much for your visit, we are glad to know that you had a great experience and that you considered it the best trip ever, it makes us feel very proud.

It is amazing to read that you gave us the opportunity to celebrate with you such an important moment as your anniversary, congratulations again.

Furthermore we are thrilled for the time you take to share your nice comments, we really appreciate your opinion; thank you for pointing our location, and the food and beverage we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

.I wish I could say our vacation at the Iberostar Grand was outstanding, but there were several problems that made the vacation far less than 5 star.
I know it’s never easy to have customers there during torrential rainstorms, but yet, that is the best time to access what needs to be addressed. If you can handle the worst, the best gets easier.
We are early risers. We woke up long before 7 am, and went out in search of coffee. The first thing that was evident, and potentially a safety issue was the lights in the hallways of the resort were off. There were no safety lights, and we had to walk to the marble stairs, and make our way down them without any light. As it was rainy, there was some leaking and puddles in some of the areas, which made for an even more dangerous situation.
We made it down to the buffet, and found there was no coffee or food available until 7 am. I would suggest they put a coffee table outside the buffet in the morning. Yes I understand that there is a coffee maker in the room, but being able to walk down and get a cup of coffee, and go out to the beach for the sunrise sounds much nicer.
Once we found out that there was no service until 7 am, we wandered outside. Again there were no lights on as we walked down the corridor towards the beach. I nearly walked into a plant that was in the middle of the walkway, as it was dark, and I did not see it. It may be because it was a day or so before daylight savings time, and the timer was off, but this is something that should be noticed. At no point should the hotel and corridors be dark.
The food at the buffet was sub-standard the first day or two we were there. The buffet by the beach was closed due to the storm, and the selection was very limited. The day we were leaving the buffet looked much more appealing. There were crab claws, shrimp, and other sea foods that had not been out prior to that.
I had made reservations for dinner prior to our departure. When we arrived the front desk person had no idea of what was going on, and gave me incorrect information as to what would be open that night. He seemed new, and not quite sure of anything. As the person that gives the first impression of the resort, you need to make sure they are better trained, and better informed. Based on what he told me, I had to run down to the concierge, only to find out I was given incorrect information by the front desk.
I was to understand we would have butler service, but if we did, we never saw this person. We had a cleaning person do the room, that was about it.
Our first dinner at the Japanese Steak house was a comedy of errors. First we were seated under a leaking cooling unit, and dripped on. We moved to other seats with the help of the waiter, but no senior staff came over to apologize or say anything. It was evident to them that we had moved seats, and I am sure they were made aware of why by the server.
The “cook” was obviously new, and unskilled. He didn’t do any of the things that make a steak house fun. We saw and heard the chef at the back table entertaining his guests. Our cook attempted one trick – the flaming onion, and failed at it. He also tried to juggle the spatula, and nearly hit me with it. On top of that, the duck was cooked to more than well done and the lobster was burned – inedible. I know.. 1st world problems, I am complaining about duck and lobster. We had to go to the buffet after the dinner at the Steak house.
Having discussed the previous dinner with the concierge, I did appreciate that when we went to the Surf and Turf, they were aware that we had been given terrible service the night before and did whatever they could to make it better. It left me with a much better feeling for the resort than I had had up to then.
The biggest problem that I could see is that there seems to be a lack of communication between hotel staff. From what I understand, they were doing an internet upgrade the first evening we were there, but when I called down, I was told, it will be working again in 20 minutes. They had no idea of what was going on. I was told continuously, try back in 10 – 15 minutes.
I think a better plan of action would have been to advise guests that the internet would not be working due to an upgrade and give a time period. I could have contacted who I needed to contact before the internet went down, rather than sitting there at 10pm waiting the “20 minutes” for the internet to come back. I finally had to use my phone in roaming mode, and am waiting to see what the charges for that will be.
The final problem was being locked out of our rooms at 11:30 am the day we were leaving, and having a problem getting someone to get up there to pick up our bags, and let us in the room. It just made for a stressful departure. Again, this may have been a daylight savings time problem, as the clocks had changed the night before, but it was still inconvenient.

In short, the stay was ok at best. It was not what I would expect from the premiere resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank drschoenbrun

Dear Guest,

Thank you for thoughtfully sharing your feedback. We have noted your observations on your experience with great concern. It is evident that we did not measure up.

Your review has been taken up with the concerned department heads to ensure corrective steps are implemented at the earliest. We are also addressing the issues highlighted with the Head of Training in order to avoid this kind of situations.

Regarding the light over the halls, we wanted to thank you for pointing it out because as a green globe hotel we really do take care about our ecosystem and that is why we have an automatic lighting system which goes off when it is dark; for sure we will take care about thus kind of situations in order to avoid incidents around.

Speaking about your experience on our restaurants, we will look into this with our Food & Beverage department and with our Executive Chef to know about this situation, to make the accurate modifications over this services and keep going to achieve our main goal which is your full satisfaction.

We hasten to express our sincere regret that your visit fell below par with the butler service. We are terrible concerned about it because it is one of our strengths and normally people leave the hotel just adoring them. We would like to have the opportunity to explain how our butler service works at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. Our butlers are in charge of a section of rooms, normally around 25 to 35 rooms each. Prior to all arrivals they check the rooms to guarantee our high quality standards. Once our guests check in, they greet them personally in the room to indicate how everything works and give our guests a brief explanation of our services and facility locations. During the process they will assist our guests with any special requirements including the customization of their mini bar, the selection of their pillows from our menu and the arrangement of any preferable time for their room cleaning and turn down service. They check your mini bar daily and deliver your newspaper.

Overall they will assist with anything our guests might need during their stay 24/7 when they are required. Our guests only need to press the Butler button on their telephone and he will appear at their door step. At check out they make a final inspection of the room to verify our guests do not forget any personal items.

Regarding Lunch saloon we regret to have given you this impression; as you already know this storm surprised us and damaged some areas around the hotel but we are already working on our weak points, and we are taking the right measures to be ready if something like that or even worse might surprise us.

We hope that you will visit us again sometime soon to see the changes we are making, thank you once again for your detailed feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully, soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I've been to two Iberostar all-inlcusives and both have been amazing. I was at the Grand Hotel Paraiso before going to a work conference at the Paradisus in Playa del Carmen and let me tell you, the Paradisus couldn't compare to the Iberostar.

All-in-all, the staff at the Iberostar were happy to help, always there to serve you and they would go above and beyond.

I've been to a number of all-inclusive brands, but I'm beginning to think I will stick to Iberostar no matter which country I visit. All around amazing.

Room Tip: If you like to spend a lot of time relaxing and reading on the balcony, the ocean-front rooms are wo...