“Meh - it was ok”

GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Meh - it was ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Love travelling to the Riviera Maya. Love all inclusives. Love Mexico.

We've always stayed at the El Dorado's before because we like good food.

The Iberostar was ok. Not bad. Not amazing.

We have a beautiful room at the front on the beach. Comfortable. Clean. But right on the end beside where the other hotel held their weddings/parties. Sitting out in the hot tub was never really an option to relax because there were always people right there. Typical Mexican style room.

Beach is beautiful. You can walk forever and walk down to Maroma beach which is amazing. The staff on the beach are "ok"...they're just putting in their time. Not really working too hard.

Food is ok. That's it. Nothing spectacular. Restaurants were difficult to get into unless you wanted to eat later nd that was frustrating.

Service: Ok. Nothing outstanding. Noone stood out. Noone seemed to care to go that "extra"mile. They all looked like they were just putting in their time.

I've stayed at other Iberostars and have to admit, was taken aback by how unimpressed I was with this. Outside our excellent room location, nothing else was exceptional. It was just "meh".

I would stay at the El Dorado if you are a foodie. If you are all about the beach - stay on Maroma. If you spend all your time in the pool drinking, stay here.

Whereever you choose. have fun!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank StephLB_13
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

We appreciate the time that you have taken to make constructive comments; we are committed to listening to our guests and constantly work on improving our services.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Grand Paraiso!

Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,419)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glen Burnie, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

normally, you shouldn't expect "total luxury" from any all-inclusive resort. With Iberostar Grand that is certainly NOT the case. I have never been more impressed with the staff, food, service, and cleanliness of this resort. It makes me not want to go anywhere else ever again! At least I now know that if I do travel elsewhere it will be a destination where Iberostar Grand is present. My honeymoon could not have been better. Thank you Iberostar for giving me the perfect vacation for me and my wife!

Room Tip: it doesn't matter where you stay here - you will feel the luxury in even the "base" ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sean B
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your stay and for taking the time to write your friendly comment about your experience.

It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed your stay among us and we are delighted that our exclusive services, facilities and attentive staff have contributed to your wonderful experience, and that we have been able to exceed your expectations. Congratulations again for your honeymoon!

It would be our pleasure to welcome you soon at Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

Best regards,

Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

As I write this, I am sitting in the lobby waiting for our shuttle to take us to the airport.

I will make this review brief and to the point.

The hotel is big, if you are elderly or have issues with walking this may not be the place for you.

Food:
Food was above average with lots of variety. Do not expect gourmet tho. They did serve caviar and lobster, but don't over think it. A lot of the food lacked flavor.

However, it was fresh and served well.

Service:

This is where this place shines, everyone here works very hard. The grounds are immaculate, rooms are clean, wait staff is on you at every last drop in your glass.

Pool:
The pool is large, not heated and is salt water.
They have a separate quite pool which is nice to get away from people if you wish.
There is also an indoor pool with 2 hot tubs.

Drinks:

Nice selection of alcohol to choose from, they have top shelf stuff you just have to ask.

Hotel:

The hotel is very nice but the layout is to be desired. You will have to see for yourself.

Night life/entertainment:

Nightly the entertainment staff puts on a show at 10pm in the theater. Their performances are very well done and you can tell they take pride in their shows. Nice air conditioned theater to enjoy.

However, their is nothing to do on premises during the day if the weather is bad or you are in between your meal and show.

The lobby bar area is small and gets old pretty fast.

You can take a golf cart ride into the iberostar property to go to the disco at night if you wish. We didn't go.

All in all our stay was good, we arrived jan 3 and are leaving today (10th)
Unfortunately it rained for 5 of our 7 day trip.

I spent more time inside then I could have ever imagined.

My review is honest and hope you enjoy your stay at the grand I would consider going back again but not in the near future, dollar for dollar you would probably enjoy a "lesser" resort just as much.

• Stayed January 2014
6 Thank JeremyAdam
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for visiting Iberostar Grand Paraiso and also for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor.

We are very delighted to read that our friendly and attentive staff made you feel very welcome. With great dedication to hospitality and customer satisfaction we always strive to ensure our guests will enjoy the unique and personalized service we offer.

Your valued comments about the gastronomy of our hotel are very much appreciated; we like constructive reviews like yours because it is the way we know what are the pillars that we have to work on to improve daily.

We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and surroundings.

Also it is good to know that you enjoyed our evening shows. Regarding your comment about the bad weather, we have a special activity schedule for these days; your comments are taken in consideration to improve it. Thank you very much for mentioning it.

We look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you again for your honest review.

Kind regards,

Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

See my reviews of other Mexico all-inclusive resorts we have visited.

All-in-all, this is the best AI we have ever visited in Mexico.

Our group of six (three generations) stayed in three standard suites for one week: 12/13/13 – 12/20/13. We emailed the Grand in advance with room requests and the Grand met our every wish. Our basic rooms were just fine. We saw no need to upgrade to OV or OF.

We also emailed in advance for ala carte dining reservations and received exactly the reservations we wanted.

Regarding dining, the ala carte restaurants were very good, but we actually found the daily dinner buffet to be at least as good if not better! Indeed, the “International” night at the buffet (Wednesday during our stay) featured the “best of” the ala carte restaurants; exactly the same food!

The quality of the food at all restaurants was outstanding for an AI, the best we have had at any MX resort; the Excellence PM is a close second. None of us had any issue with the quality of any meal at the Grand. Very, very good!!

Regarding the buffets, it is my understanding that the buffet schedule changes from time to time depending upon occupancy. During our stay, the breakfast buffet was served daily in Bella Vista. Outstanding selection and options.

The main/primary daily lunch buffet was at Las Brisas, near the beach. Again, great quality and selection.

However, every other day (literally) grilling stations were set-up outside of Bella Vista for lunch, serving hamburgers, hot-dogs, steak, fish, chicken, and a few side dishes (rice, fries, chips, etc). At Bella Vista for lunch (when offered), we could eat inside or outside, and pasta dishes and desserts were available inside the restaurant. This was a nice option, although lunch at Las Brisas was more ‘comprehensive’.

There was live music at the main pool after the International Buffet night on Wednesday evening. A good time!

It did not seem crowded at the Grand during our stay. No towel game at all. Indeed, I was the first to rise during our visit and I had no problems finding great pool loungers for all of us at around 9:00 – 10:00 am. Plenty of sun and shade.

A great tip from other TA reviews: put the beach towels underneath the brown pool lounger padding to prevent slippage!! You have to try it to know what I mean. Related: no problems with as many beach towels as needed.

We had great beach and pool drink service from the staff. We tipped generously at every opportunity, and while the staff genuinely appreciated tips, it seemed to not matter, which is a good thing.

A brief comment on the oft-discussed ‘rocks in front of the Grand beach’. I found those rocks and outcroppings incredibly beautiful/magnificent. They gave the beach character and beauty, IMHO. If you want to go into the ocean just walk a few yards to the north.

We did visit the Maya/Lindo and walked down to the Beach/Del Mar properties. My opinion: nice, but insanely crowded. The Grand was a peaceful oasis compared to those resorts.

As so many others have commented upon, the staff at the Grand is impeccable. Outstanding. Five-stars if not more in every detail. Every request we had (and we had many; long, separate story) was met with a smile and a thank-you from them.

The Wi-Fi at the resort worked fine, except in our rooms where coverage was very spotty. Everywhere else (pool, beach, restaurants): outstanding.

The best hot tub was the one at the Tranquility Pool. It was truly a ‘hot-water’ tub (rare in MX); lots of jets. The Tranquility Pool itself was never crowded during our stay; amazing since it is such a lovely spot. Full waitress service.

While we never ordered food at the pool/beach, there was no problem taking food from Las Brisas (or the grilling stations at Bella Vista) to the pool/beach during the day.

The butler/concierge availability was never an issue for us. Just use the Butler button on your phone; concierge desks were always staffed. We requested pillows from the menu; they arrived within minutes. Again, the entire staff at the Grand deserves 5+ stars.

Evening entertainment: a cut above other resorts we have visited. Nice venue for the evening entertainment.

The lobby bar was a bit more active than we anticipated. They had a soft-rock music combo playing every night during our stay and a good many folks each night.

In one word: WOW!! I know it’s expensive, but IMHO it’s worth it.

Do not hesitate to send messages with questions.

CS

Room Tip: The standard suites in which we stayed were more than fine.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank cksdenver
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing us as your holiday’s destination.

Your review with your perception about our hotel makes us really proud. It is our constant goal to keep impressing you on every visit and make it even better than last time.

We consider it a great honor to have had the opportunity to serve you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly is very motivating to our Managers and Staff.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

I'll make it short. Everything in this hotel was great 5/5 except for the following:

1. Average food in buffet. The selection was there but could barely find food to our liking. We're picky but not that picky.

2. Rooms need to be renovated. They're showing signs of wear and tear. We stayed in building 71. We heard building 70 was renovated 2 months ago. If you have an ocean front room ask for building 70.

3. Wi-Fi very slow inside the room. Ok in the lobbies but obviously inconvenient if you need to check your emails often.

4. This is our 3rd stay at Iberostar Grands and in terms of value of money we thought the Paraiso wasn't worth it.

In conclusion I'd like to thank all the staff. They really went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Professional, polite and attentive. The service was beyond excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kreytzman
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review shared on this website. On behalf of our Management and staff we want to say it was a great honor to have served you. We appreciate your kind words pertaining our rooms, food, beverages, service, pool and Beach.

We are proud of creating memories that last a lifetime, give unforgettable experiences to our guests and pleased to see that we have reached our goal in most areas.

In reference to the maintenance of our resort, we would also like to mention that our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas that need improving. All our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. We will take your comments into account.

In regard to the wifi, a couple of months ago we introduced the wifi service all over the hotel, and that is why we have been encountering some failures with some of the antennas, once we detect low signal, we let the IT people know in order to make the needed changes. We apologize about that.

We look forward to welcoming you “back home” where your Mexican family awaits you.

Best regards,

Olympia, wA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a very nice facility and I really enjoyed the adults only environment. Awesome beach! Everything was clean, well appointed and comfortable. The staff was exceptionally helpful and gracious. I really enjoyed the indoor pool by the spa, the golf course and the access to the adult only beach/pool/dining. The buffets were adequate and the only onsite dining I would recommend would be the Taco bar by the shopping center, the Japanese and the Surf and Turf. The food quality is the only reason I did not give the resort 5 stars.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

6 Thank jbel55
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your precious time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Your feedback helps us improve on a daily basis by identifying our strengths and weaknesses.

We do hope you give us the opportunity to be your host again the next time you are thinking on visiting the Riviera Maya.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I had reservations about all inclusives - having only had three experiences during all of my travels and all three were varied!

Top Rail drinks available from morning until the wee hours, steak and lobster cooked to order and a well stocked mini bar and room service included to boot.... not much more I can say about the place really!

Recommendations? Be aware that you need dinner bookings so if you are arriving in the afternoon phone ahead to grab a table. Things book up and we would up having the Japanese two nights back to back.... it wasn't very good at all - probably the only negative. However with an international buffet stocking a great selection for everyone, you can certainly fill up elsewhere.

I'd come back to this place in a heart beat ..... Rooms were good although the humidity was incredibly strong (leave your balcony door shut!) and we loved the whole butler scheme - even if we didn't really use it, we certainly felt special.

In a nutshell (as most people have said it all anyhow) great place, great layout (pool area is just amazing) and you can't really go wrong! Eat, drink, swim and be merry :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank rachel1372
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you. Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services with other properties. We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team and no doubt will they be motivated by your kind words.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the Iberostar Grand Paraiso that you quite enjoyed: our varied and delicious food, pool area. Your suggestions have been duly noted and we assure you that they will be taken into account and appropriate measures will be taken.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations made and do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,456 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,816 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!